Pennington could resume career

As shoulder surgeries go, the one Chad Pennington underwent Friday was a winner.

No rotator cuff damage was found in Pennington’s shoulder when Dr. James Andrews repaired a torn labrum and “minimal damage to the joint capsule” which was caused by his dislocated right shoulder.

The arthroscopic surgery was a best-case scenario, and will give Pennington the option to continue his career should he decide to do so, according to ESPN’s Chris Mortensen.

Pennington has undergone two rotator cuff surgeries, and a third would have likely ended his career.

The former Marshall quarterback can begin throwing as soon as 8-12 weeks from now, although it’s unclear if he’ll want to rehab and put himself back on the free agent market in the offseason.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
13 Responses to “Pennington could resume career”
  1. Packers29 says: Oct 4, 2009 9:51 PM

why wouldn’t he want to play more? He could at least be a very good backup somewhere.
    If he doesn’t play, his career is over.
    If he plays and gets hurt again, his career is over, but he made a lot of money and got to play a game.
    Might as well play.

2. leatherneck says: Oct 4, 2009 9:55 PM

Maybe after all these surgeries, Pennington will have a trick arm that lets him throw the football at an odd angle with good velocity or something.
    OK, well, seriously, it is always nice to see an athlete come bounce back after an injury, as along as they aren’t taking too much risk.

3. MasterShake says: Oct 4, 2009 10:29 PM

Moss back in Minny when Pennington is ready? Just for shits and giggles! 2011 or 12?

4. obscenery says: Oct 4, 2009 10:51 PM

The list of starting NFL QBs who aren’t nearly as good as Chad is lengthy.

5. Tundrastruck says: Oct 4, 2009 10:57 PM

Leave it to a dumbass Vikings fan to cream his jeans over a quarterback who hasn’t even started rehab yet…guess you know the reality that the Favre story can’t end well…

6. kosarsmyidol says: Oct 4, 2009 11:22 PM

# obscenery says: October 4, 2009 10:51 PM
    “I’d love to see him win another Comeback Player of the Year award, and I’m not joking.
    The list of starting NFL QBs who aren’t nearly as good as Chad is lengthy.”
    I totally agree. He’s a class act, and I wish him well.

7. BillsFan27 says: Oct 5, 2009 12:36 AM

He could resume his career as Hayseed-of-the-Year and travel around the country showing folks how to lasso pigeons.
    If his shoulder holds up, of course.

8. mustbechris says: Oct 5, 2009 9:11 AM

I love Chad, I hope he can come back and start somewhere. He’s as good of a guy as there is in this world.

9. Northern Lights Bomb says: Oct 5, 2009 10:01 AM

Chad should definitely come back. He’s not a great QB by any means, and he can’t throw the deep ball worth a damn with those shoulders, but when it comes to a QB who can manage a game and make short throws at critical moments, he’s a great option. I’d definitely put him on my shortlist for a backup spot. Don’t know if he can start since he can’t make the opposing D respect the deep ball and take the pressure off the running game, but he’s certainly still got something to offer NFL teams. He’s experienced and reliable as long as he’s healthy.

10. CKL says: Oct 5, 2009 10:58 AM

I am happy to hear it. I’m a Pats fan but have always liked CP a lot and thought the Jets did him dirty.

11. Your comment submission failed for the following reasons: Registration is required. says: Oct 5, 2009 11:10 AM

“I think he’s a good role model, and a solid football player. Forget being a backup. If the QB with the highest accuracy rating ever wants a job and can still throw the football then he gets a job.
    The list of starting NFL QBs who aren’t nearly as good as Chad is lengthy.”
    Hear, hear!

12. texasPHINSfan says: Oct 5, 2009 12:43 PM

i’m with obscenery – chad will come back & start somewhere next year.
    if he wins another comeback player of the year award, i’ll be very happy for him.
    class guy, deserves all the accolades he gets

13. Foreverdolpfan says: Oct 5, 2009 6:45 PM

As much as I wanted Chad Henne to have an opportunity to start at quarterback, in addition to knowing that the only way possible for this to happen in the course of this year would have to be an injury occurring to Chad Pennington, I must admit that I was deeply saddenly when I heard that Pennington was injured and would be out fot the remainder of the season. We will surely miss his great leadership in the huddle and he is such a class act. Chad Pennington is a tremendous warrior who has always fought the war with inferior weaponry but seems to always come out on top. I sincerely wish Pennington nothing but the absolutely best and the NFL would be highly blessed to have just a few more men with the type of character that this man has. Chad, with sincereness, I pray and hope that you will overcome this adversity as you have so frequently done in the past. Chad Pennington, a.k.a “TRUE WARRIOR”.