Giants hid Eli's condition

There’s a certain amount of word-parsing that’s occurring in the wake of the specific diagnosis applied to Eli Manning’s current foot/heel injury.

The Giants seem to prefer the term “plantar fascia injury.”

Why?  Because Manning has had “plantas fasciitis” for several weeks.  And it was undisclosed on the team’s injury report.

But now that the inflammation (which produces chronic but tolerable pain) resulted in a more acute jolt to the bottom of Manning’s foot (it’s the body warning the brain that something is about to snap down there), the Giants apparently hope to avoid being fined for concealing an injury at a time when the cross-stadium Jets were being nailed for a total of $125,000 in fines based on last year’s failure to disclose that Brett Favre was suffering from a partially torn biceps tendon.

The only difference?  Eli has yet to talk (and talk . . . and talk . . . and talk) about the fact that his foot had been bothering him for weeks.

But if the league is serious about the integrity of the injury report, the league needs to immediately investigate what the Giants knew about the condition, and why Eli wasn’t listed as probable for Week Four with a foot injury.

(Coincidentally, Favre was listed as probable for Week Four.  With a foot injury.)

And please spare us the “he practiced and played” routine.  Favre practiced and played, too.

More importantly, he never had to leave a game because of it.

Manning, on Sunday, did.

At a minimum, the Jets should be New York pissed about the situation, and owner Woody Johnson has every right to demand an explanation from 280 Park Avenue as to whether the Giants face the same consequences that Favre’s chronic case of verbal diarrhea caused for Johnson’s team.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Kansas City Chiefs, New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
33 Responses to “Giants hid Eli's condition”
  1. whywerule says: Oct 6, 2009 8:12 AM

Since the Giants are a New Jersey team. masquerading as a New York team, they will receive nothing more than the same slap on the wrist that the incompetent Goodell gave the other New Jersey team for their cheating.

2. Big Stretch says: Oct 6, 2009 8:18 AM

“Why? Because Manning has had “plantas fasciitis” for several weeks. And it was undisclosed on the team’s injury report.”
    How do you know he has been dealing with it for weeks?

3. Ben B says: Oct 6, 2009 8:19 AM

Disclaimer: Eagles fan who wants the giants to lose every game they play.
    Gotta defend Eli and lil blue here. I have had plantar fascitis for a full year. Once it warms up it usually is no bother at all. It can be painful in short spurts but I have no problem walking 18 holes (I know no comparison yada yada yada). It is long periods of inactivity that make it flare up. So it isn’t really an “injury” that would effect athletic performance in a any significant way.

4. thehouseofho says: Oct 6, 2009 8:22 AM

“Some are calling it “plantar fasciitis,” a chronic inflammation of the thick tissue at the bottom of the heel.
    The Giants seem to prefer the term “plantar fascia injury.””
    Eli does have a plantar fascia injury. It may be plantar fasciitis or it may not. The plantar fascia is the connective tissue between the heel and the toes running under the arch of your feet. Plantar fasciitis just so happens to be a type of plantar fascia injury.
    Plantar fasciitis causes stabbing pain that usually occurs with your very first steps in the morning. Once your foot limbers up, the pain of plantar fasciitis normally decreases, but it may return after long periods of standing or after getting up from a seated position.
    Considering Eli’s reaction on the play which his injury occurs, it looks like there is an injury to his plantar fascia that may have been caused by him already having plantar fasciitis. So, in conclusion, plantar fasciitis is a plantar fascia condition, but a plantar fascia injury does not necessarily mean plantar fasciitis.

5. Sock_Puppet says: Oct 6, 2009 8:31 AM

The Jets should be New York pissed just for being an inferior franchise and being relegated as “Renters” of Giants stadium.

6. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Oct 6, 2009 8:33 AM

Regardless of whether it has been bothering him for weeks, or just happened to flare up on him during the game, it is a long term injury. I have it in both of my feet, and it sucks. When I was in high school I destroyed my heels triple jumping. Add that to basketball in the winter, football in fall, an baseball during the summer, I wasnt resting my feet enough, lol. Then I spent 4 years in the military standing, walking, running constantly.
    It is likely something that Eli has had for a long time. And even though cant stand the Manning brothers, I dont necessarily think that this is evidence of the Giants hiding anything. I think it is more likely something that he has had before, to a lesser degree, so the Giants dont even worry about it. Unfortunately for Eli, he has a long painful life ahead of him, lol, because my feet are sooo bad I have to wear sandals or crocs in the shower, because it is too painful to stand on the hard surface of the tub…..

7. gwinn1952 says: Oct 6, 2009 8:37 AM

Seems we go overboard with injury report…..to me should only be listed if can’t practice or play….otherwise..everyone plays with bumps and bruises.

8. Patsfan1776 says: Oct 6, 2009 8:39 AM

Goodell’s rulings are just and true. There just happens to be one set of rules for owners that own their own, brand spanking new stadiums, Cowboys, Pats, and Giants and then a new set of rules for teams that “rent” stadiums or play in baseball parks.

9. Levito says: Oct 6, 2009 8:47 AM

so should the Giants now play the Bilicheck routine and put Eli on the injury report EVERY WEEK for the rest of his career with Probable (Foot)?

10. Borg30 says: Oct 6, 2009 8:51 AM

Ouch!!!! I had Plantar fascitis in both feet at the same time. I took 3 steriod injections for each foot, and took almost a year to get better. Good Luck Eli.

11. Krow says: Oct 6, 2009 8:53 AM

Every professional athlete is hurting from something or another… constantly. Cramps… aches… twinges… bruises… cuts…

12. Krow says: Oct 6, 2009 8:56 AM

Not to play amateur doctor… but I had plantar fasciitis, and getting custom orthotics for my shoes made it disappear. It’s worth a shot to see a podiatrist… get one that has a reputation for working with sports injuries. Did the trick for me, and I was suffering for over a year.

13. east96street says: Oct 6, 2009 9:14 AM

“But if the league is serious about the integrity of the injury report…”
    Which it clearly is not. The only time they have shown any real interest is when a player talks and talks and talks. My bet – Eli says nothing and the NFL ignores it just like they ignore hundreds of unreported injuries every week. We all know it’s your private crusade, Mike, and you have stated your reasons well. I agree with you, it leaves the League open to a gambling scandal. Unfortunately for you, the League doesn’t give a damn about what you think on the subject – NBC affiliation or not. They are number one and will ignore it until it affects their bottom line.

14. Smush Rodrigez says: Oct 6, 2009 9:21 AM

Krow says:
    October 6, 2009 8:56 AM
    ****
    Good idea. I am sure the Giants have not thought of sending him to a podiatrisr. Good work.
    Cue all of the Giants are cheaters comments.

15. crex43 says: Oct 6, 2009 9:32 AM

Why does the NFL even have an injury report? For a league that prides itself on tough, physical contests, they are the only league that discloses just in how much pain each of its players are. Baseball doesn’t have an injury report. Should diabetic players be on the injury list every week? Should players with personality disorders be on it every week? Should Chad OchoCinco be listed every week as probable with “severe narcissism”?
    What is the manly purpose in knowing what another player’s ailments are? Suck it up, play football, and maybe it won’t matter which arm you hit Brett Favre on when you try to tackle him.

16. Patrick Chewing says: Oct 6, 2009 9:34 AM

“More importantly, he never had to leave a game because of it.
    Manning, on Sunday, did.”
    He came out because the game was over. Most franchise players come out when their team is up 4 scores with 10 minutes left.
    Besides it was the chiefs…they aren’t going to get a win until they play the redskins in week 6.

17. jkorn1818 says: Oct 6, 2009 9:38 AM

Krow says:
    October 6, 2009 8:56 AM
    ___________________________________
    Eli, The Mara’s, Coughlin and the training staff would like to know who your podiatrist is. Is there any chance they can squeeze him in before the game this weekend? Dr Warren has been calling me all morning, can you send over any paperwork? Does he need a referral?

18. cpaulin says: Oct 6, 2009 9:52 AM

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I was under the impression that you only had to list a player on the injury report if they miss a portion of practice? If Eli didn’t miss any practice time (I’m not under the impression he did) then he doesn’t have to be on the injury report. I’d love an explanation one way or the other……

19. Florio-is-a-tool says: Oct 6, 2009 10:06 AM

Cheaters…

20. BigEasy says: Oct 6, 2009 10:39 AM

I want Eli to be healthy…..I can’t take another sorry NY Jet, Bills, and now a Giants sorry a$$ excuse when we pound them in the Dome…….

21. Bigbluefan says: Oct 6, 2009 11:03 AM

Big Easy
    You must be drinking a bit to much no one pounds the Giants any where Easy E and the D will be there and it will be a game of games.
    We will see who has the better O line and D Drew cant throw if he is laying on his back in the one and only staidum that has more rapes and murders then super bowel winners.
    When the G-Men roll into that stink hole of a city they will flush it

22. Bigbluefan says: Oct 6, 2009 11:06 AM

Also if the team is fined for not reporting this then every team should list every player every week
    They all have aches and pains and bumps and scraps
    This is BS

23. VoxVeritas says: Oct 6, 2009 11:22 AM

Hey Florio, when are you going to report on the Giants vandalizing the visitors locker room at Cowboys Stadium?
    The “autograph” is clearly fake because the signature is blurry while the rest of it is not. Clearly the work of a bad photoshop artist. The real vandalism is not fake.
    Trying to cover for Plastico, cheating on the injury reports, now we find that they’re vandals as well. That’s a no-class organization from the top down.

24. PimP JuicE MaN says: Oct 6, 2009 11:48 AM

ANOTHER 12 WEEK INVESTIGATION OVER INJURY REPORTS, TOM BRADY WAS ON THE INJURY REPORT FOR TWO YEARS
    BECAUSE OF A SORE ARM, WITH VIDEO TAPES SUPPLIED BY BILL-I-CHEAT HE WENT ON TO WIN TWO SUPERBOWLS.
    NEP SUX, NYJ -(BILL-I-CHEAT- SPEAK)

25. Resolution says: Oct 6, 2009 11:51 AM

Maybe he didn’t appear on the injury report because he didn’t need to be. NO ONE noticed so much as a limp from him for four weeks, so wtf. A condition is not an INJURY until it affects your play. If it didn’t affect his play, he didn’t so much as limp, and it didnt even bother him, it shouldn’t belong on the ____ing injury report. get off it.
    Vox, you’re right, thats a pretty obvious photoshop with the blurry “autograph”, besides, why would he or anyone bother to write their jersey number in such a scribbling. However, someone should find out who did write it, if its there at all. For all we know a custodian wrote it, so its not really news until its known “who-done-it”…

26. Resolution says: Oct 6, 2009 11:56 AM

What a nonsensical comparison. Ask anyone who has the condition, they can still walk, run and jump it just hurts. You compare that to a TEAR in a key part of the body directly related to throwing a ball? One is a condition, the other is an injury and in absolutely no way related, so its pretty dumb to relate them.

27. Zaggs says: Oct 6, 2009 12:13 PM

So now any player that has a bruise should be on the injury report?
    Oh and Vox consider your fat ass tackle injured a Giant, not to mention the history of cowturds dirty plays that have injured people, a trashed locker room should be the least of your worries.

28. VoxVeritas says: Oct 6, 2009 12:31 PM

“a trashed locker room should be the least of your worries.”
    Oh I’m not worried about it. I expect nothing more from the classless Giants. Some people just can’t handle it when other people have nicer stuff. It’s not the Cowboys fault that the Giants and Jets are going to have to share a crappy stadium that cost a lot more than Cowboys Stadium cost to build.

29. Krow says: Oct 6, 2009 1:37 PM

Sorry for the confusion… Smush Rodrigez and jkorn… I assumed it was obvious I was directing my remark to BillCowersChin… and not Eli Manning, who I doubt reads this stuff.
    This is my fault… I forgot how stupid you two are.

30. dtowner says: Oct 6, 2009 1:41 PM

Romo has Brain Facitiis and he wasn’t on the injury report. or is it Brain feces?

31. Bobb Cobb says: Oct 6, 2009 2:14 PM

“Giants hid Eli’s condition”
    Key word, “Condition”. Someone above said it, a condition is not an injury.
    They don’t list people who are color blind or have arthritic knees.
    Next key word is: “Hid”. That’s the problem with this “story.” On this website. It states malfeasance. Clearly. And it shouldn’t. It implies intent.

32. jkorn1818 says: Oct 6, 2009 2:41 PM

Yeah, im so stupid, that’s why you even have doubts if eli reads this, for one he does and secondly, does he need a referral or what?

33. Crunchy Clam says: Oct 6, 2009 3:39 PM

The entire NFL injury report system is a farce. Goodell needs to scrap it at the end of the system, do something where the only thing a team needs to report is the level of participation in practice (limited or DNP). Sucks for gamblers (and FF people I guess) but the NFL already pretends gambling doesn’t exist anyway.