Radio host Rush Limbaugh has confirmed his interest in buying the St. Louis Rams.
Charley Casserly of CBS first reported on Sunday that Limbaugh and Dave Checketts are involved in one of three groups that have submitted proposals to purchase controlling interest in the team.
Checketts already owns the St. Louis Blues of the NHL.
The children of the late Georgia Frontiere — Chip Rosenbloom and Lucia Rodriguez — own 60 percent of the franchise. Stan Kroenke, who owns the NBA’s Denver Nuggets and the NHL’s Colorado Avalanche, owns the other 40 percent of the team. Prior reports have indicated that Kroenke would like to purchase the remaining 60 percent, but he would need a waiver of the league’s cross-ownership rules, which allow ownership of other pro teams in the same market only.
“Dave Checketts and I have made a bid to buy the Rams and we are continuing the process,” Limbaugh said in a statement released Tuesday.
Limbaugh also said that he and Checketts would operate the team.
It’s unknown whether the duo’s group would purchase only the 60-percent share owned by Rosenbloom and Rodriguez, or whether they would buy out Kroenke, too.
Limbaugh, one of the most controversial figures in American politics, is a zealous football fan. If he can keep his politics separate from his football, we’ve got no problem with the transaction.
We have a feeling that others might disagree with us on that one.