Edwards is content not to get a new contract

The Jets traded for receiver Braylon Edwards without signing him to a new contract.  In his first meeting with the New York media as a member of the New York Jets, Edwards said that’s fine by him.

“I don’t want to be a distraction,” Edwards said in comments distributed by the team.  “Right now, all I want to do is play football.  They’ve got a machine moving in the right direction, so to sit here and try to talk about a new contract would be pretty petty.  I’m happy with where I’m at now.  I’m happy with my contract.   It doesn’t bother me.   I really just want to get out there and play football.”

Despite weeks and months of rumors that a trade might be happening, Edwards said that he “had no clue” the deal was coming.

“I got the call from Coach Mangini at 7:45 am [Wednesday],” Edwards said.  “He called when I was on my way to the facility.  He called me and told me to come up and see him when I got in.  I went up there and he told me that the trade had happened.”

Edwards also talked about his off-field image, which took a hit only two days before the trade after he was accused of punching Edward Givens, a friend of NBA star LeBron James who, based on LeBron’s desciption, sounds like he’d lose an arm-wrestling match to Steve Urkel.

“I do feel like I’m trying to create, not a new image, but I’m trying to just brush it up a little bit in order to be [a] good guy,” Edwards said.  “I’ve done some good things.  I believe there are some other incidents there, so know you have some people who say, ‘Is he this or is he that?’  Some people are still on this side and some people that are still on that side.  That’s what I mean by fresh start.   I can come with all the negativity that’s out there about me and I can come here and perform well on Sundays, on Mondays, practice hard and prove to my teammates and coaches that I’m a good guy and let everything else play its course.  Eventually, I’ll get that good guy tag undoubtedly.”

We’re not sure we would put money on that one, but we wish Edwards the best, if he’s serious about trying.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Edwards is content not to get a new contract”
  1. homeslice20 says: Oct 7, 2009 9:40 PM

learn how to catch a damn ball

2. Avon Barksdale says: Oct 7, 2009 9:41 PM

“And a good start would be to resolve the situation in Cleveland with Edward Givens, if the allegation against Edwards is indeed true.”
    I disagree. Haven’t you ever heard of “what happens in Cleveland stays in Cleveland?”
    Braylon sucks, but he’s a lucky bastard for getting off that sinking ship.

3. SmackMyVickUp says: Oct 7, 2009 9:42 PM

Now that it is known the Browns are willing to trade you if you assault someone and insult King James look for a flood of arrests.
    Imagine being on the Browns must be frustrating right about now, started this season with his buddy suspended for a FULL year for merely running someone over. With Shaq coming to Cleveland most people are probably already asking when basketball season starts again.
    Still, will be nice to see how he does with the Jets, if he is honest about what he said people will forget who he punched and why. If he keeps playing :thug life” the New York media will eat him up, if Rex Ryan leaves anything for them.

4. ncm42 says: Oct 7, 2009 9:45 PM

I sure hope Webster doesn’t live in NYC!

5. HughJassPhD says: Oct 7, 2009 10:04 PM

Hopefully membership in LeBron’s posse comes with health insurance.

6. tobago says: Oct 7, 2009 10:07 PM

The Browns are who we thought they were “cellar dwellers”. Edwards has to be happy to get out of that mess. Go Braylon.

7. lilmbm31 says: Oct 7, 2009 10:28 PM

The Jets traded for Edwards to replace Dick Clark for the New Year’s Eve ball drop.

8. Bigbluefan says: Oct 7, 2009 10:41 PM

All I want to do is go that club where Plex shot himself and see what kinda shit I can get into

9. Crunchy Clam says: Oct 7, 2009 10:49 PM

I don’t understand a lot of the Browns fans here who are saying this trade is a huge win for their team. You guys have been ripping Mangini the entire season (for good reason), why do you think he’s gonna start making good moves all of a sudden? They could’ve gotten much more value if they made this trade in Aug. The Jets basically gave up 2 nobodies and low round draft picks for the Browns most talented player. You guys screw up most of your high-round picks, what makes you think Mangini is going to turn a 3rd and 5th rounder into gold? Unless Braylon gets suspended, this will be the 2nd time in a year the Jets have completely fleeced the Browns.

10. sultanofslot says: Oct 7, 2009 11:04 PM

@lilmbm31: +1

11. Desides says: Oct 8, 2009 12:18 AM

The headline “Edwards is content not to get a new contract” would usually lead to an entire post about Florio speculating whether or not Edwards is happy with the trade and if he wants to get the heck out of New York after his contract expires.
    Like Brandon Marshall.

12. youareallstupid says: Oct 8, 2009 1:39 AM

===================================
    I do nt see many people here saying the browns won this trade, but…
    Braylon is int he last year of a contract and will be a free agent after this year.
    So the jets basically gave two players and two piccks for a player they may only have for 12 games. This being said there is no team in the league that would give more than this for a player they may not have after this year.
    Also, with the pending assault charges coming his way he may get suspended for a game this year so that 12 may only be 10 or 11 games.
    There was no way Braylon was going to resign after this year so why not trade and get yourself a slot reciever and a ST player and a couple of picks, 3 and 5 or 2 and 5 pending on how he contributes.
    So I am not going to say the browns got a good deal for their best offensive player, but I will say they in no way hurt themselves in trading away a guy that has not helped, on or off the field, a bad team that has no chance of doing anything this year.

13. wydok says: Oct 8, 2009 7:55 AM

“‘I don’t want to be a distraction,’ Edwards said in comments distributed by the team. ”
    Hey, Edwards: TOO LATE!

14. gwinn1952 says: Oct 8, 2009 8:26 AM

Edwards will do great with the Jets…..good qb, great coach and Edwards wanted out of Cleveland so bad he could of cared less how he played. He’ll start to focus more now and be the Edwards of past good years….ryan will see to that.

15. Quagmire says: Oct 8, 2009 8:30 AM

“Eventually, I’ll get that good guy tag undoubtedly.”
    The tough part will be losing the asshole tag.

16. gallaghedj311 says: Oct 8, 2009 9:33 AM

Avon Barksdale says:
    October 7, 2009 9:41 PM
    Are you talking about staph infections? LOL!

17. luciano11 says: Oct 8, 2009 10:00 AM

youareallstupid , I think you need to change your name to “iamthestupidone”
    Edwards will be a RESTRICTED FREE AGENT, do you think the Jets front office has morons like those in Cleveland.
    1. You went thru our garbage and picked your coach, whom you all hate now, duh!!!!!
    2. You gave us back a gift called Sanchez on draft day. In return, you got the original garbage plus a guy we were going to cut anyway (signed him just to send him to you), Elam. An undersized defensive lineman that we would have used maybe 3 plays per game. Again DUH!!!!
    3. Now we get Braylon Edwards. He has been trouble, but hell even a quire boy would get bored with losing, and living in Cleveland. DUH!!!
    4. DUHHHH!!!! Watch us on TV while we are in the playoffs with your help.

18. CKL says: Oct 8, 2009 11:06 AM

# lilmbm31 says: October 7, 2009 10:28 PM
    ______________________________________
    AAHAHHAHAH! Best comment I have read in a long time. Too bad we can’t still rate posts. Kudos, dude! :D

19. youareallstupid says: Oct 9, 2009 4:50 AM

luciano11, with the current version of the CBA in its last few months of existence there will be no cap this off season rendering any RFA useless considering the amount of money a team can offer a player.
    Thanks for playing, and I didn’t make those trades for the Browns so please refrain from using the word you. Again, thanks for playing, and enjoy the rest of your season while Braylon Scissorhands cuts out the heart and soul of jets fans. ;)