Parker, Polamalu looking unlikely to play against Lions

When reports of Willie Parker’s turf toe first came out last week, it was surprising how optimistic initial reports were regarding Parker’s chances to not miss any playing time.

That optimism is long gone.

Parker didn’t practice Wednesday, and didn’t sound like someone expecting to play against the Lions.

“I’m a competitor and I want to compete and show the world what I’ve
got but, at the same time, I’ve got to be smart about it. Right now,
I’m not where I need to be,” Parker said.

When Parker returns it will be interesting to see if he gets his starting job back from Rashard Mendenhall.  The second-year player could pile up yards with the Lions and Browns on the docket next.

Safety Troy Polamalu returned to a limited practice Wednesday, but isn’t expected to play until Week Six.

Permalink 12 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
12 Responses to “Parker, Polamalu looking unlikely to play against Lions”
  1. Vox's Mommy says: Oct 7, 2009 6:30 PM

The Long-Haired Demon back for the Browns! Get him back for a game, get back in the swing, then an extra week of rest for the knee after one game back. If it works out that way for us, and he really is good to go against the Browns that’s really the best possible situation for us. I would like to have him to help cover Calvin Johnson this week, but don’t want him unless he’s 100%. If Mendenhall is on his “details” again this week and hits the hole with some violence, I feel bad for ex-Steeler Larry Foote and the rest of that defense b/c it’s going to be a long day.

2. Vox's Mommy says: Oct 7, 2009 6:34 PM

Shoot, just saw the schedule and see we have the Vikes after the Browns instead of the bye. Ah well…as long as he’s on the field it’s all good.

3. MastaFace says: Oct 7, 2009 6:41 PM

Why would they?

4. slipkid says: Oct 7, 2009 6:48 PM

wow – the lions could win #2.
    how can #2 win #2… quite a conundrum…

5. BluntMastermind says: Oct 7, 2009 6:58 PM

My fantasy team applauds this news! Go Mendenhall.

6. ProfessorEmmitt says: Oct 7, 2009 7:02 PM

“And also try to use some play-action if they can… Rashaa… with Rashaan Mendenhall runnin the rock.”

7. Matt says: Oct 7, 2009 7:58 PM

I hope Mendenhall has a good game Sunday. While being fully cognizant that what he did in the Chargers game represents only one game, that our run game performed similarly against the Chargers last year, and whatever else, I still feel the guy has not been given enough of a chance to develop and to gain game experience for everyone and their uncle in Pittsburgh to be screaming bust. As I’ve said in the past — I’m not saying that he’s going to come out as an unbelievable RB at the end of this year, but at least give the guy a chance. We’ll see what he does with the opportunity.

8. DonTerrelli says: Oct 8, 2009 6:29 AM

This is good news for Mendenhall, he needs as much PT as he can get.

9. Katmanduu says: Oct 8, 2009 10:08 AM

LOL…..the Lions have as much of a chance to win this game as I do meeting the Pope for beers tonight.

10. steeler-hater says: Oct 8, 2009 11:13 AM

Not having Parker’s not a big deal. But missing Troy P. is seriously hurting their “D”.
    I wonder if John Madden is getting any hate mail from the Squealer fans due to the effect of his now famous “curse” on their star defensive player?

11. steeler-hater says: Oct 8, 2009 4:17 PM

steeler-hater says:
    October 8, 2009 11:13 AM
    *******************************************
    I wonder if I’m a moronic tool that uses worn out nicknames for teams that (a) make no sense and (b) make me sound like an 8-year-old child. Life’s full of difficult questions.

12. steeler-hater says: Oct 9, 2009 7:49 AM

steeler-hater says:
    October 8, 2009 4:17 PM
    steeler-hater says:
    October 8, 2009 11:13 AM
    *******************************************
    ————————————————
    Gee, I wonder if the troll using the same screen name as I am is just some pathetic Squealer homer who would defend the team and its players no matter what.
    I can just hear the homers (like this clown) now trying to explain away one of their players’ actions, should one of them get caught doing something extremely awful:
    “Yeah, I know the guy who they say just butchered that entire family was only the reserve placekick holder Pittsburgh had on their practice squad. But honestly, I don’t think he’s guilty… despite what the 2 dozen witnesses and the DNA evidence says”…