Jamarcus pooh-poohs notion he's been fined

Accuracy has proven elusive for Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell this season.  Now he’s saying that CBS analyst Boomer Esiason missed the mark when he said last week that Russell’s been “fined heavily” for being overweight and late to meetings.

According to Jerry McDonald of the Contra Costa Times, Russell was asked Thursday if he’d accrued any fines.

Russell replied, “Not at all.”

Russell said he knew nothing about Esiason’s salvo until Thursday.  And he says he’s above being concerned about it.

“I don’t really play into that and I don’t have any truth to missing a lot of meetings because I’m the guy that needs to be in there and know what it takes for the guys around so I don’t really play into that,” Rusell said.

Meanwhile, Russell demurred when asked if had missed a meeting.  According to McDonald, Russell looked at media relations director Mike Taylor when asked that question and said, “Ask Mike on the side.”

Meanwhile, Esiason’s accuracy rate over 14 NFL seasons, 57 percent.  Russell’s accuracy rate in two-plus years?  Fifty-one percent.

And dropping.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: AFC, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Jamarcus pooh-poohs notion he's been fined”
  1. sevenirongator says: Oct 8, 2009 7:29 PM

“I don’t really play into that and I don’t have any truth to missing a lot of meetings because I’m the guy that needs to be in there and know what it takes for the guys around so I don’t really play into that.”
    WTF

2. SgtSigma says: Oct 8, 2009 7:38 PM

When will anyone in mainstream media admit this guy is a bust? He is always referred to as the cornerstone of the Raiders franchise. Scary…

3. Jim Naizeeum says: Oct 8, 2009 7:50 PM

I think I need to go with Boomer on this one.
    I know he got a lot of money, but if he’s living in a van, down by the river, in 10 years would anyone be shocked.
    Old grandpa Al can sure pick em.
    Maybe if he paid as much attention to drafting players as he does to getting the duckass in his hair just right, the Raiders wouldn’t be a laughing stock.

4. bigmikethompson says: Oct 8, 2009 7:50 PM

If anyone could make Phillp Rivers look good it’s Jamarcus. With a number one overall pick and a number two overall pick as division rivals, Kyle Orton is the best in the AFC West . . . Go Broncos

5. stabkoff says: Oct 8, 2009 7:54 PM

Russell is so stupid the Raiders don’t trust him to call an audible.
    MAJOR BUST!!!

6. WashingtonRedstorms says: Oct 8, 2009 7:58 PM

The Oakland Hostess Bakery Outlets Dwellers.
    Tom Twinkie is a time bomb.

7. raiderrob21 says: Oct 8, 2009 8:01 PM

demurred?
    Is this English class?

8. twinkletoes says: Oct 8, 2009 8:16 PM

Bottom line: Russell has all the athletic gifts and then some but absolutely no burning desire to be great. It’s a shame that he doesn’t have the heart of a Tim Tebow. He reminds me of Jeff George in that he possesses the gifts but flat-out doesn’t get it that he HAS to be the leader by example, both on the field and off it. At least George translated his tools into stats, but he never assumed the de facto leadership role that comes with the position. Russell has done neither. He’s a man-child. Reminds me of the late Darrell Russell.
    I highly doubt that Boomer Esiason just made up his story regarding Jamarcus’ work habits.

9. jackleary says: Oct 8, 2009 8:21 PM

not english class, just some people actually have a vocabulary.
    the story of raiders QBs for about the last 15 years for the most part (Gannon being an exception): Al takes a look, and sees how far he can throw the ball. “What an Arm!”. Accuracy be damned. Collins, George, Hostetler and now JaMarcus.

10. Occam says: Oct 8, 2009 8:25 PM

That sentence is like some pedistrian, pointless palindrome; peppered with petty, peurile poppycock.
    Still, I wonder if he plays into that?

11. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Oct 8, 2009 8:26 PM

# bigmikethompson says: October 8, 2009 7:50 PM
    ======================================
    As much as I can’t stand him, Phillip Rivers is at least 10 times the QB Kyle Orton is, Mike.
    Seriously, you’re completely delusional if you truly believe what you just said.

12. Gary says: Oct 8, 2009 8:28 PM

What else would the fat ass say…..always the raider company line, russell can’t even speak let alone tell the truth. He needs to go back to mobile and see if he can graduate from 3rd grade. what an embarassment he has become, it is sad to see…

13. jkr says: Oct 8, 2009 8:28 PM

I’m a die hard raider fan and I gotta say did anyone actually think russell would succeed with the worst run organization in the nfl? I’m not saying he doesn’t have accuracy issues but do you really think it would be going this bad if he were in a stable enviroment such as the patriots? I think not. From the owner who is now scenial to the coaches who change every year to the personnel who are either bad free agent signings i.e. Javon Walker or draft picks Michael Huff, Heyward-Bey there is know way he will ever succeed there nor will any other QB. The worst part for russell is that he has all the tools to succeed but it will never happen there he has been set up for failure.

14. snnyjcbs says: Oct 8, 2009 8:36 PM

Lets get real, the kid is just turned 24 years old. He came out as a Jr and had very little work under center in College and worked most out of the Shotgun.
    The kid has started 20 games in the NFL. The kid makes some throws that no QB in the NFL can make and has everything he needs to be not just a good QB but a great QB.
    Non Raider fans want nothing better than for him to be a bust. Maybe after another 10 to 15 games you can than start to judge.
    I know one thing, if he does turn out he is going to do some damage for many a year to come. So as Manning and Brady start to ease into their wheelchair there could be a new kid in town.

15. FumbleNuts says: Oct 8, 2009 8:40 PM

Old grandpa Al screwed the pooch by selecting this guy.
    2-3 years from now JaMarcus Russell will most likely be a back up or out of the NFL.

16. IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace says: Oct 8, 2009 8:57 PM

It’s like nome sayin’ I don’t play into that, like nome sayin, I gots so much green nome sayin’, if’n I be fined nome sayin’, I don’t know cuz like I pays people to like take care of me bizness nome sayin’, like I don’t play into that man…so I’s don’t like know if’n I be fined or not nome sayin.

17. Facts Domino says: Oct 8, 2009 8:58 PM

He’s likely too dumb to know he’s even been fined.

18. SmackMyVickUp says: Oct 8, 2009 9:01 PM

The kid has started 20 games in the NFL.
    ———–
    Cables has said they opened up the playbook for him to about 70% this year, up from last year.
    What other QB or player in the NFL has started 20 games with 70% or less of the playbook known?

19. Deegizzle says: Oct 8, 2009 10:25 PM

—————————-
    Wow that may be one of the strangest quotes I have ever read. Dude makes no sense.

20. quesarasara says: Oct 8, 2009 10:29 PM

man, if they don’t bench this guy soon this will definetely be one long season. Cable needs to grow some balls and bring back Garcia. It pains me to see Russell go out and make a fool of himself when this team and their fans has been through enough, already.

21. PatLeland says: Oct 8, 2009 10:35 PM

I’m all for bashing Al Davis. It’s pretty much an agreed upon fact he’s the worst owner in the league but its not like JaMarcus would have dropped out of the first round if Al hadn’t drafted him. He was the consensus number 1 QB in that draft. I’d bash the raiders for not putting the coaching staff around Russel to make the most of out of his obvious physical talent than I would for drafting him.

22. HATERADE says: Oct 8, 2009 10:46 PM

that wasted clown-bust couldn’t hit a turtle crossing the street, let alone a wide receiver!!!

23. AutumnWind999 says: Oct 8, 2009 11:13 PM

Looks like Boomer and Florio’s imaginary– I mean anonymous — source were off the mark on this one.
    Seems like the media is right about 10% of the time when it comes to these kind of reports when they involve the Raiders.
    Oh, by the way, how long did it take Eli Manning to come around. I seem to remember about half-way through his 4th season fans and media in NY were calling for him to be benched and calling him a bust. Then he went on to win the Super Bowl later that year. JaMarcus is in the beginning of his 3rd season and played far less as a rookie than Eli and also came out after his junior season while Eli played all 4 years in college.
    Seems to me like most of y’all haters are premature with your “JaMarcus is a bust” ejaculations.

24. PayDoh says: Oct 8, 2009 11:21 PM

Jamarcus is one of the reasons I don’t agree with players being paid so highly upfront. The Raiders will never, ever, ever get their money’s worth with this bum. Alex Smith is another.
    We won’t hear about Russell in about three years until about ten years down the road. One day a story will pop up about him and we will all have the same reaction, “DAMN, Russell must weight 350 pounds”.
    He has the physical gifts and that is it. He is a loser on the football field, he is lazy and he could care less.

25. 49ersrevenge says: Oct 8, 2009 11:47 PM

Jamarcus Russell is the worst starting qb in the NFL. Most teams have 2 qbs better than him. The guy has no heart. A strong arm only goes so far when your favorite receiver is the ground. The Raiders should just admit their mistake and replace this bum.

26. RAIDERFLYY says: Oct 9, 2009 12:35 AM

All this reminds me of is a bunch of fans watching a horse race,…and were all betting on him..Think of this JaBubble’s career
    is the race track, he’s just went around the first
    corner, on the back stretch….let’s just wait….
    you just never know,……and Darth Al’s with him all the way,…when you see JaBubble out to pasture…..that’s when Al will step down as well,
    he’s not a stupid man,…….I have been a RAIDERFAN for many, $@*&^*!$#@&%^$#%@* many years………!!!!!!!!
    AND WE WILL GET BACK TO PRIDE AND GLORY THAT IS THE RAIDERS!!!!
    RAIDERFOREVER!!!!!!!!

27. drummer1279 says: Oct 9, 2009 12:41 AM

I know I’m in the minority here, but I think it’s too early to call him a bust. He put up average, but not bad, number’s last year. He had some good game’s late last season, and showed that he had some potential.
    I know this season has been terrible thus far, although week 1 against San Diego, he showed a little life. But the last three week’s have been ugly. But looking back over those games, he really got very little help from the O-line and the young WR’s. I think the coaching has played a large part in his drop off. Not only the play calling, but the roster lineup.
    The Raiders are a run first team, and they’ve shyed away from that, and have been pass happy. (I think in an attempt to prove Russell is not a bust, which is backfiring). They’ve gotten away from the run, which set’s up the passes. The O-line stinks, most of the time, and I think I’ve seen more drops from WR’s in the first 4 games, than most team’s make in an entire season.
    DHB, although he should be good in time, is clearly not ready yet. Schilens is hurt, Murphy is good, but inconsistent. Walker isn’t playing, and Higgen’s see’s little playing time at WR, and has been hurt at times as well. It’s really a new recieving group, with Watkin’s cathing more than some starting WR’s. I mean, really, they need to swallow their pride, and put the best WR’s on the field, not just because they drafted them. They just don’t have a recieving core that is healthy and has experience with Russell.
    The O-line need’s to step it up, but so do the coaches. For example in the Houston game. Pinned at their own 1 yard line. They run Fargas on what appeared to be an off tackle run, and he get’s caught 5 yards deep in the endzone, touchback. Fargas? When they have Bush, their power back, they run Fargas, whom has a history of gaining yards inside the 20′s. That’s terrible playcalling, I would have trusted Bush up the gut, or even a Russell pass over that. Awful, awful play calling. The coaching changes/playcalling/and roster, are making it very difficult for Russell to succeed, as I think would be the case with any QB. Garcia included, he’s not the answer.

28. Senemot says: Oct 9, 2009 2:05 AM

I think Vince Young is the worse QB in football…All the hype and he is riding the bench?

29. RelentlessIV says: Oct 9, 2009 3:12 AM

I like Tom Curran alot. Unlike Mike Florio w/ constant bashing and obvious favoritism. Can Mike be replaced please. BTW, Russell needs more time in the pocket, but that doesn’t excuse the fact he’s scared of getting hit. And the rookies need to stop dropping passes.

30. RelentlessIV says: Oct 9, 2009 3:15 AM

I like Tom Corran. Instead of Mike Florio w/ his constant Raider bashing. W/ his obvious favoritisms. Replace that loser w/ Tom. But on the Russell situation he needs more time in the pocket, but it doesn’t excuse his fear of getting hit. There needs to be more chemistry w/ him and the wide receivers aswell. Follow me on twitter RelentlessIV. ONE NATION, RAIDER NATION.

31. Unnamed Source says: Oct 9, 2009 3:29 AM

49ersrevenge says:
    October 8, 2009 11:47 PM
    A strong arm only goes so far when your favorite receiver is the ground.
    lol. good stuff

32. A_MAC says: Oct 9, 2009 6:01 AM

haters go phuk your tom brady blow up dolls why do you give a shit about the raiders so bad really? jamarcus is not on his game right now but he is working HARD.If he wasnt working hard he would be hurt right now.he is a professional athlete dipshits.new system for the second time in two years new recivers for the 10th time or so a new running back every game.the offense is struggling not just russell.

33. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Oct 9, 2009 6:43 AM

# SmackMyVickUp says: October 8, 2009 9:01 PM
    ======================================
    That’s easy, you’re boy, Mike Vick.
    No one has ever had a smaller play book than Vick, it was downright comical.

34. ProfessorEmmitt says: Oct 9, 2009 9:08 AM

“These first three years was a transitional year for him.”

35. BENITO says: Oct 9, 2009 9:24 AM

the title “jamarcus pooh pooh’s” is pretty funny!

36. BENITO says: Oct 9, 2009 9:32 AM

why are you blocking my posts???? pretty gay!

37. Dawgpound2009 says: Oct 10, 2009 10:13 PM

Jamarcus Russell – the one person who can snatch the title “biggest draft bust”away from Tim Couch and Ryan Leaf with flying colors.