Russell's denial of bad habits is bogus

Apparently, Raiders quarterback JaMarcus Russell has mastered one aspect of life in the NFL.

He knows how to not tell the truth when necessary.

Tom Curran pointed out last night that Russell has denied being fined for things like missing meetings, showing up late for meetings, and being overweight.

And, of course, this implies that Russell doesn’t have a habit of missing meetings, showing up late for meetings, or being overweight.

“I don’t really play into that and I don’t have any truth to missing a
lot of meetings because I’m the guy that needs to be in there and know
what it takes for the guys around so I don’t really play into that,”
Rusell said.

Sorry, JaMarcus, but as we reported earlier in the week, Esiason’s report was technically inaccurate only to the extent that it didn’t go far enough.

Russell, we’re told, has missed multiple meetings, and he has
missed multiple other activities.

His behavior has been described as a “pattern not an aberration.”

Maybe the Raiders haven’t fined Russell for every (or any) transgression.  (After all, they haven’t yet benched him.)  But we’re convinced that he has engaged in more than enough conduct to justify more than a few fines.

So, no, Russell isn’t “the guy that needs to be in there and know what it takes.”

Whatever that means.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Russell's denial of bad habits is bogus”
  1. theReapercalls says: Oct 9, 2009 10:43 AM

JaMarcus running that offense is like the blind leading the blind.

2. A_Source_close_2_Favre says: Oct 9, 2009 10:44 AM

Just bench him? Seriously…if they just flat out cut him, who would even pick him up?
    The only team that would pick up a under-achieving mis-fit like this would be….Da Raidas

3. AD4MVP says: Oct 9, 2009 10:45 AM

“I don’t really play into that”?
    “I’m the guy that needs to be in there and know what it takes for the guys around”?
    What the hell is this guy talking about? Does he even understand what he is saying?

4. Resolution says: Oct 9, 2009 10:45 AM

Wow… Does he even care? Ryan Leaf was a more inspirational player than Russell.

5. Rex Grossman says: Oct 9, 2009 10:50 AM

Week 1: 12 of 30
    Week 2: 7 of 24
    Week 3: 12 of 21
    Week 4: 12 of 33

6. TheBigOldDog says: Oct 9, 2009 10:50 AM

Lane kiffin, Super Genius.

7. chapnasty says: Oct 9, 2009 10:50 AM

Is there anyway they can take his money away from him due to his behavior other than through fines? I mean players can cry about not getting paid enough when they do well how about owners take money away when they dont do anything at all? Maybe that would motivate fat draft busts to try to play well.

8. Resolution says: Oct 9, 2009 10:52 AM

I’m not a raiders fan, and my teams rarely if ever plays them so I can be comfortably objective.
    Hey Raiders, for the sake of your team and football in general dump this lameass and go with someone – anyone who even cares about being a good player. Can someone please show Al Davis the video of Russell attempting to speak on youtube? If you must have a huge QB, go sign Jared Lorenzen, at least he fights to win the game and he might even throw better than Russell

9. SmackMyVickUp says: Oct 9, 2009 10:52 AM

Once again, rookie salary cap needed.
    Make it happen Florio.
    Curran said you have a seat at the bargaining table.
    He was given a multi-million dollar contract before he played a snap in the NFL. He doesn’t have to work.
    Vince Young is nice and cozy playing 2nd string and collecting a big paycheck too, that is why he is not interested in a QB controversy.
    Jason Whitlock detected a pattern a players from LSU turning out to be lazy once they reach the NFL. Might be more common there, but it is widespread.
    “Fat, lazy and unmotivated might be an LSU character trait.
    In the past decade, nine Tigers have been tabbed in the first round of the draft — defensive end Tyson Jackson, defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey, quarterback Off-The-Marcus Russell, safety LaRon Landry, receiver Dwayne Bowe, receiver Craig Davis, running back Joseph Addai, defensive end Marcus Spears and receiver Michael Clayton.
    Landry has been a good player for the Redskins, starting since he was a rookie. Injuries have ruined Davis’ three-year stint in San Diego. And Addai had a nice start to his career in Indianapolis, but he’s faded. Clayton and Spears are busts. Dorsey is on his way to bust status in Kansas City. Bowe is in Todd Haley’s doghouse in KC and has had problems holding onto the ball throughout his career. You know how bad Russell is. And Jackson’s early KC reviews are not good. Chiefs management is going out of its way to lower expectations for Jackson.
    You never know how a kid is going to react to being made an instant millionaire. Think twice before wasting your millions on an LSU product.”

10. mayanh8 says: Oct 9, 2009 10:52 AM

“I don’t really play into that and I don’t have any truth to missing a lot of meetings because I’m the guy that needs to be in there and know what it takes for the guys around so I don’t really play into that,” Rusell said.”
    Anyone have a Stupid-to-English translator for me?
    No wonder this team is so terrible, the players coming out of the huddle probably have no clue what play they are running.

11. Gary says: Oct 9, 2009 10:54 AM

Amen! Always speaking (I should say trying to speak the company line) the raiders company line, it is amazing what comes out of this guy’s mouth……..

12. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Oct 9, 2009 10:54 AM

If I had to guess, I’d say the allegations are true but when you say
    “Sorry, JaMarcus, but as we reported earlier in the week, Esiason’s report was technically inaccurate only to the extent that it didn’t go far enough”
    it begs the question, how do you KNOW this to be true, Mike?

13. konupe says: Oct 9, 2009 10:54 AM

sounds like your mad that he rebutted your post… dont sound so bias

14. Big Stretch says: Oct 9, 2009 10:55 AM

I suggest we start calling Russell ” Flounder”

15. Rusty23 says: Oct 9, 2009 11:00 AM

How is citing two previous articles on PFT proof that those two articles were in fact correct? I’m not saying that they aren’t but if you’re planning on continuing this line of questioning, you had better back up what you are saying with some corroborating evidence, not just what you have said before.

16. snnyjcbs says: Oct 9, 2009 11:03 AM

There is nothing like seeing how pissed you people get when it turns out something you reported on turns out to be nothing but bull.
    Your report made it sound like Russell has been being fined by the Raiders a bunch. And truth be told Russell has never been fined by the Raiders for anything.
    Lets stop with the bull and start reporting facts. And once called out on your bull, let it go, it makes you look small.

17. snnyjcbs says: Oct 9, 2009 11:03 AM

18. pollacksposse says: Oct 9, 2009 11:09 AM

I got an idea, Brady Quinn to Oakland before the trade deadline. He’s better than Russell and Gradowski

19. Silverdog says: Oct 9, 2009 11:11 AM

“Fat, drunk, and stupid is no way to go through life, son.” -Dean Wormer

20. stabkoff says: Oct 9, 2009 11:22 AM

I can’t wait until the JaMarcus Russell era is over in Oakland, this guy is a total BUST!!
    Fire Al Davis!!!

21. bearsrule says: Oct 9, 2009 11:23 AM

Looks like JaMaximus went to the Emmit Smith School of Speech and Diction.

22. Gautam says: Oct 9, 2009 11:27 AM

why don’t they just keep on running the ball, McFadden would do better under the wildcat instead of this 35% completion guy lol

23. chugs says: Oct 9, 2009 11:30 AM

TheBigOldDog = Super Donkey
    “Kiffin….I do realize that you did not want us to draft JaMarcus Russell. He is a great player. Get over it and coach this team on the field, that is what you were hired to do. We can win with this team!” Al davis
    I realize I’m quoting Al Davis here but come on, even you should know how drafting players in Oakland goes….

24. mbbrazi says: Oct 9, 2009 11:30 AM

Vick is an “athlete” not a quarterback. Jamarcus is a fat, lazy, stupid bastard. The only difference between Jamarcus and Al Davis is that Al is just a bigger stupid bastard!!

25. longrodvanhungendong says: Oct 9, 2009 11:32 AM

It just dawned on me the kids not completely dumb. He figured out he can do what he wants, get paid and not lose his job! Brilliant!!!

26. sim448 says: Oct 9, 2009 11:33 AM

what an idiot. this guy is the nfl version of benoit benjamin. (for you young fans or non basketball fans, google his name)

27. encinitasraider says: Oct 9, 2009 11:40 AM

Why is the media so intrested in the Raiders if they are so bad every year? I dont hear anything about the queefs(2-26),etc…
    I guess Haters will always be haters.

28. TheBigOldDog says: Oct 9, 2009 11:45 AM

chugs:
    You just made my point jackass. Kiffin didn’t want him and he got out of Oakland with his money and a job waiting. Again, Lane Kiffin is a Super Genius.

29. Junior says: Oct 9, 2009 12:00 PM

PFT Logic is worse than Russell’s grasp of the english language.
    I Mike Florio believe Esiason’s unfounded claim to be more truthful than Russell’s claim. I have no proof other than I wrote about it earlier so it must be true. Russell is lying because I think he is, it doesn’t matter if I don’t have any facts to back it up.
    Who cares? The kid is playing like crap and so is the rest of the offense. Play better, get some wins and it goes away.

30. Onderin says: Oct 9, 2009 12:09 PM

So basically you make an article JUST to say you don’t believe him with your “unnamed source”…

31. chugs says: Oct 9, 2009 12:14 PM

superdonkey: I read it as & still see it as Kiffin’s the genius behind Russell…You put as much actual detail & reason behind your comments as Florio…Cheers!

32. schism says: Oct 9, 2009 12:15 PM

they should jsut amke jamarcus run the ball,

33. CYGNUS X-1 says: Oct 9, 2009 12:16 PM

I’d like to know why this the only site pointing out what a bust this clown is.why isn’t the media giving him the same treatment it gave grossman?after all he was the reason the bears sucked and for global warming to hear them talk about him.but this guy is the #1 pick and gets 40 mill and they don’t say a thing amazing.

34. ProfessorEmmitt says: Oct 9, 2009 12:24 PM

“He may have the will, but it’s remain to be seen.”

35. Jim Naizeeum says: Oct 9, 2009 12:40 PM

Should change his name to JaMarcus Dorfman.
    Not sure about drunk, but he is fat & stupid, and his QB rating is approaching 0.2.

36. Onderin says: Oct 9, 2009 12:43 PM

# CYGNUS X-1 says: October 9, 2009 12:16 PM
    You apparently don’t watch a lot of TV…or read. There are plenty of articles questioning Russell still being the starter, his work ethic, and various other things. They just don’t dwell on it like PFT because, well…they have to write about more interesting things than a bust QB.
    And if you watch TV, you’ll see Russell and the Raiders being the butt of jokes almost everyday. It’s really quite sad.

37. HATERADE says: Oct 9, 2009 12:47 PM

this clown-bust, along with the other clown-busts (d. carr and b. quinn) should be throwing balls or holding clipboards for the ufl, soon!!!

38. FumbleNuts says: Oct 9, 2009 12:58 PM

I agree, Brady Quinn to Oakland before the trade deadline.
    Russell will be out of football in 2-3 years or at best a low-end back up.

39. Raider Pride says: Oct 9, 2009 1:03 PM

Every Time I See Russell Speak I Expect Him To Blurt Out….
    “Well Forrest… Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sautee it. There’s, um, shrimp kebabs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There’s pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp and potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich… That’s, that’s about it.”

40. SheHateMe says: Oct 9, 2009 1:07 PM

To ProfessorEmmit:
    If I be thinkin he have the will, then it do reamain to be seen. Quit you makin fun of me befo I send yo name to Marvin………….

41. AutumnWind999 says: Oct 9, 2009 1:15 PM

Sorry JaMarcus,
    Florio has an anonymous (possibly imaginary) “league source” who says it’s true, so it must be true and that’s that.
    Nevermind we have no idea who this source is, the quality of their inside information, whether or not they have an ax to grind with the Raiders or if making JaMarcus look bad somehow benefits them and/or a client of theirs.
    What more proof does anyone need? Someone who won’t go on the record told an NFL “rumors” blogger that it’s true. If that doesn’t meet the burden of proof threshold I don’t know what does.
    (Psssst. I’m being sarcastic.)

42. Claudio says: Oct 9, 2009 1:18 PM

Thank their fearless leader Al Davis. I believe his quote when he was at the podium making his case against Lane Kiffin last year was “Jamarcus is a heck of a player, get over it”. Jesus Christ this guy must have the worst track record of 1st round picks as of late. Hayward -Bay (could have traded down 20 picks to get him), Russell, Huff, and Gallery. Those are just the first round duds.

43. encinitasraider says: Oct 9, 2009 1:26 PM

Brady Quinn is the worst QB ever….but at least he is GQ and doesnt speak with a southern draw…I guess that wins games in the NFL.
    LOL
    Some of you guys are really clueless…JRUSS will be better with another year under his belt and WR’s that can get open and dont drop balls….

44. Dack Starr says: Oct 9, 2009 1:29 PM

He’s a box head. It seems to be a trend coming out of the LSU backfield and I am an LSU fan. Rohan Davey road the pine along with Josh Booty who was waived by the Raiders.

45. Merc says: Oct 9, 2009 2:54 PM

Dear JaMarcus: You’ve gone & done it now! You’ve been outed. The NFL seems poised to PROVE to you that it will no longer be insulted by you. It also seems poised to prove to you that it stands for “Not For Long”. How long did you THINK it would take? Did you actually believe that you could ‘fake it’ in the NFL, & nobody would notice? THE FRIGGIN’ NF FRIGGIN’ L??? Do you even care that your name will never be forgotten, even when you are broke & living in a trailer? You are not ashamed to face your teammates? Not even Richard Seymour?
    PS,
    If you plan on ‘playing’ QB in the NFL, it might be advisable for you to learn how to ‘pump fake’ & stop staring at your intended target. The stats of your feeble WRs might actually improve, along with your own. Also, ‘looking off’ the DBs really irritates them. Ask Ted Tollner about these 2 things. I am certain that he knows about them.

46. Hovenaut says: Oct 9, 2009 3:44 PM

When did ‘Just win baby’ turn into ‘Just be a baby’?
    Of all the people Davis could (and should) drop, JaMarBust is despicable. What a complete ass. If he could do anything other than shit the ball all over the field someone might take whatever he says a little seriously.
    Somewhere Ryan Leaf is laughing.

47. RelentlessIV says: Oct 9, 2009 3:47 PM

Mike you must feel so content that you posted this. Even though last night a Superior blogger to yourself already posted this w/ a less biased approach. How about you start posting real news and not opinions. We all can see JaMarcus struggle and don’t need your side note to figure it out. For all Raiders news follow RelentlessIV on twitter. ONE NATION, RAIDER NATION.

48. slipkid says: Oct 9, 2009 4:31 PM

russell shouldnt be in the nfl, much less at qb.
    ther eare 3rd stringers on other teams that are much better than jamarkedup bustell.

49. wallyworld says: Oct 9, 2009 4:40 PM

Who cares? I remember Eli Manning wasn’t any good and in the same year he won a Super Bowl. Bottom line is until JaMarcus is benched, traded, waived or suspended he is not a bust. Mario Williams was a bad pick and now the Texans were brilliant on passing on Reggie Bush.

50. comment_submission_error says: Oct 9, 2009 8:17 PM

Russell plays like a guy that misses a lot of meetings but not too many meals. Playing for the Raiders isn’t easy, so I don’t expect the guy to be great, but he could be better than he is if he was focused. Most of his throws are late, or on the wrong shoulder, and that’s all on him. I mean, that’s what I hear from my sources.

51. raideralex99 says: Oct 9, 2009 8:40 PM

Wow … I cannot believe some people actually believe JaMarcus. He is so stupid that he does not know he is getting fined.
    Those people who want to know where Boomer got his info from … right from the locker room … the Raider players. They quit playing until JaMarcus is benched.

52. earls411 says: Oct 10, 2009 7:26 PM

jamarcus wont be there next yr with a uncap yr u can cut players without takin a cap hit so they will release him