Colts' Irsay pans Limbaugh ownership involvement

Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay said this afternoon that the divisive rhetoric of prospective Rams minority owner Rush Limbaugh makes him unappealing.

“I myself couldn’t even think of voting for him,” said Irsay speaking from the NFL’s fall ownership meetings in Boston.

Asked if he’d spoken to other owners about Limbaugh’s candidacy, Irsay said, “I haven’t and I don’t think I would even go to the point of talking to Tony Dungy, Jim Caldwell, Dwight Freeney, talking to those men and seeing what their positions are.  I’m very sensitive to know there are scars out there.  I think as a nation we need to stop it.  Our words do damage and it’s something that we don’t need.  We need to get to a higher level of humanity and we have.

“I come from a different era where Marvin Gaye and John Lennon were speaking about [certain things] and we’ve been doing a slow crawl to some of the things they talked about.  We don’t need to go the other way,” Irsay added.  “We can’t go the other way where there isn’t forgiveness and understanding but we gotta watch our words in this world and our thoughts because they can do damage.”

We’ll check in with more from the owner’s meetings as the afternoon grinds along.

Permalink 59 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: AFC, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
59 Responses to “Colts' Irsay pans Limbaugh ownership involvement”
  1. Roboto says: Oct 13, 2009 1:06 PM

Enough Limbaugh posts already!

2. ballhawk1 says: Oct 13, 2009 1:11 PM

what more divisive thing could there be in football than the Rooney Rule. You are equal candidates until it comes down to race? How is this not racial profiling? If the person is good they are good….I DONT CARE what their religion, gender, race, or political affiliation is! The Rooney Rule along with Affirmative Action do just as much to divide this country every day as the stupid words of Limbaugh!

3. JEB says: Oct 13, 2009 1:12 PM

4. Desides says: Oct 13, 2009 1:14 PM

“Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay said this afternoon that the divisive rhetoric of prospective Rams minority owner Rush Limbaugh makes him unappealing.”
    What about the “divisive rhetoric” of Jim Irsay’s statement? Clearly he shouldn’t be allowed to own an NFL team.

5. Bronkko says: Oct 13, 2009 1:14 PM

Irsay is obviously a socialist.

6. VicksPuppies says: Oct 13, 2009 1:15 PM

Too funny – NFL owners on some high horse. I didn’t see them all calling out the Rams franchise for hiring a man who recklessly killed a woman.

7. tian says: Oct 13, 2009 1:15 PM

Soo… uh, can we stop with the Limbaugh postings please? Even if he had the money- you think that the NFL owners will endorse it?
    In short- this is a publicity stunt to make Rush Limbaugh into some victim.
    But I will say this: this guy really knows how to promote himself!

8. Turk says: Oct 13, 2009 1:15 PM

9. Vick's failed drug test says: Oct 13, 2009 1:17 PM

Good for you Jimmy.

10. JRC007 says: Oct 13, 2009 1:20 PM

What about this racist Limbaugh quote: “Congress now discussing giving $500 to everyone who has a baby. Great! Lets make these NBA players even richer.” Outrageous.
    Except it was NBC’s Jay Leno who said it. http://twitter.com/LATimestot/status/4839261942.
    I await Florio’s outrage at working for a racist network like NBC who employs the racist Jay Leno. And of course Irsay will vote against NBC television rights to stay consistent.

11. bian8 says: Oct 13, 2009 1:21 PM

JEB your comment had absolutely nothing to do with the post. Move on. Crying about it will never bring the Colts back to Baltimore. How do you feel about Modell taking Cleveland’s team away from them and bringing them to Baltimore? You guys always forget that part.

12. Bwa Ha Ha says: Oct 13, 2009 1:22 PM

Too bad that Limbaugh has gotten such a poor reception to this possibility. Heh, heh, the fat slob, drug addled draft dodging race baiter made his bed, and now he has to sleep in it

13. Gam(e)_is_on says: Oct 13, 2009 1:26 PM

@ ballhawk1 – BINGO !

14. Brady-mancrush says: Oct 13, 2009 1:26 PM

“I come from a different era where Marvin Gaye and John Lennon were speaking about [certain things] and we’ve been doing a slow crawl to some of the things they talked about. We don’t need to go the other way,” Irsay added.
    Funny; both Marvin and John were drug abusers……Go figure..

15. troll_aikman8 says: Oct 13, 2009 1:27 PM

Wow, you mean to tell me Jim Irsay is a communist too?
    lulz. Good for you Jim…well put.

16. Flyingelvislogosucksbringbackpatpatriot says: Oct 13, 2009 1:28 PM

John Lennon? If I did the best drugs money could buy 24 hours a day I’d be a poet to. But I would never marry Yoko. I didn’t know Marvin Gaye sang about socially relevent stuff, but I could be wrong. Irsay is a fargin idiot, of that I am sure.

17. LiveNBreatheFootball says: Oct 13, 2009 1:29 PM

Wow, Irsay is referring to John Lennon and Marvin Gaye. How about Martin Luther King? Oh that’s right, an entertainment business owner only knows about entertainers.

18. downsouth49er says: Oct 13, 2009 1:29 PM

JEB says:
    October 13, 2009 1:12 PM
    “Irsay shouldn’t throw stones at glass houses. He and his father refused to give the Baltimore Colts colors, name, and history back to Baltimore. He is a rotten person whose family continues to break the hearts of millions of Baltimoreans by not letting go of the Baltimore history at least. Whenever I see Johnny Unitas’ Colt team records being compared to Peyton Manning’s, I get a horrible feeling in my stomach like everyone else in Baltimore.”
    dude WTF, move on already, you’re like a broken-hearted obsessed guy who got dumped and hates the sight of seeing your ex with her new guy…lmao move on man

19. Football says: Oct 13, 2009 1:29 PM

Jim Irsay wants to be the only oxycontin addict that owns a NFL team.

20. brasho says: Oct 13, 2009 1:31 PM

I wonder how the NFL would react if a big-time racist wanted to own a franchise, somebody like Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson… wonder if they would throw their support behind them. I bet they would.
    People can sit there and talk all this stuff about one person but unless they want to apply it to the other side then it isn’t right. This double standard has to stop!

21. downsouth49er says: Oct 13, 2009 1:34 PM

Turk says:
    October 13, 2009 1:15 PM
    “Mr. Irsay — if you are going to scold Mr. Limbaugh for his langugae and rhetoric, I trust you will similarly scold Chris Matthews, Rachael Maddow, Ed Schultz, Keith Olberman, and all those others who spew left wing venom. They do the same thing to those who hold conservative values and viewpoints. If you don’t chide them just as forcefully, I will just dismiss you as just another hypocrit.”
    Whow cares what you’ll dismiss him as? You are not important buddy…leave the MSNBC crew out of this, man I love those guys, they tell it like is

22. PirateFreedom says: Oct 13, 2009 1:35 PM

Turk:”I trust you will similarly scold Chris Matthews, Rachael Maddow, Ed Schultz, Keith Olberman, and all those others who spew left wing venom.”
    hey idiot:
    are any of your examples trying to get NFL teams?
    can you give me examples of statements where they have offended NFL players in a way the players ( as opposed to idiots like you) are upset by?
    think before you snivel, dumbass

23. PackFaninPackLand says: Oct 13, 2009 1:36 PM

Florio: “On the Tuesday edition of his show, he said what we thought he should have said on Monday”
    Good lord Florio, on Monday he said “”There is not even an inkling that any words in this quote are accurate.”
    How much more of a denial can there possibly be than that Florio ??? Get your head out of your a$$ Florio. Good grief.
    By the way Olbermann, I mean Florio, why hasn’t anyone been able to produce a sound bite of what Limbaugh supposedly said, hmmm ???
    Oh, you mean because he never said it ??? This is just so sad and pathetic Florio.

24. Sportygal says: Oct 13, 2009 1:36 PM

Irsay says he won’t go to the point of talking to Tony Dungy about his views on Limbaugh’s potential ownership of the Rams. Is he aware Tony Dungy has been a guest on Limbaugh’s program and is a friend of his?

25. realityonetwo says: Oct 13, 2009 1:37 PM

Yeah, Bwa haha. It’s stuffed with thousand-dollar bills…

26. ZN0rseman says: Oct 13, 2009 1:39 PM

I find it extremely disturbing that people are so upset by Limbaugh trying to by an NFL team. Would the same people be feigning this kind of outrage if similar personalities (like John Stewart, Al Sharpton, or Bill Mahr) on the left wing were trying to buy one?
    I doubt it. So who are intolerant ones again?

27. Phyxsius says: Oct 13, 2009 1:39 PM

Thank you Mr. Irsay!!
    Limpblob is a racist, bigotted moron

28. BeerBarron says: Oct 13, 2009 1:40 PM

I say let Rash Limbowel buy the team and lets see if the moralist players refuse to sign a contract and cash his checks when/if they play or are drafted to play for him and his team.. I bet they still will play for his pay.. if not.. more power to them.. Limbaugh should be able to purchase the team.. if you go into Best Buy and plop down the cash for plasma TV, why would they say no… but as divisive as he is its a poor business decision by the NFL and $ trumps everything for the sheild and ‘merica..

29. mnmaverick says: Oct 13, 2009 1:41 PM

It’s a two way street.
    What has happened here in America is that we have begun to patronize African Americans.
    Holding them accountable for their actions is frowned at as racism. Calling a majority of African American males out for their lousy attitudes is seen as racist.
    THey don’t even know what racism is these days.
    A patronizing pity party isn’t showing any respect, I can assure you of that much. It’s a major turn-off for every other race in the world.
    There are Asians, Indians, Native Americans, Hispanics, Latinos, etc. The world doesn’t revolve around black people contrary to what they believe. It’s time that society stopped pampering them above everyone else.

30. Dewey ActSwooned says: Oct 13, 2009 1:44 PM

Yup, “unappealing and divisive”.
    Because if you don’t think/feel/speak/believe and most importantly VOTE exactly like Me (Irsay), Dungy, Lovie, Rooney, and all the other unifiers/Ozombies, then you’re evil and must be censored and banned from ownership or any other freedom or privilege afforded by U.s. citizenship.
    Once again–the media loves to make you think the entire world is Left, and Right is not just wrong, but evil, worthy of censorship and eradication.
    Facts, please, not propaganda.
    @Bwa Ha HA–what about the drug-addled slob in the White House?
    Or didn’t you read the part in his autobiography where he talked about doing every drug out there, but stopping just short of actually shooting smack out of fear of the bubble in the syringe?
    If you can read–you should check it out.

31. jbwbubba says: Oct 13, 2009 1:44 PM

“Conservatives need not apply”
    Thats what it comes down to. Liberals are always very tolerent unless you disagree with them. Then they seek to destroy you and every aspect of your life.
    As far as those who thinks its a “stunt” its not, Rush is a long time avid NFL fan. He was also born in Missouri, so for him to be part of an ownership group makes perfect sense.
    Sportygal is correct, Dungy would have an interesting view point and might educate Isray.

32. Vick's failed drug test says: Oct 13, 2009 1:51 PM

Rush does his best to call a spade a spade without actually using many synonyms for “Spade”.
    His comments about Mcnabb alone are enough to make a black player not want to play for his fat racist ass.
    Why bring up Matthews and MSNBC. Have they been spewing racial barbs and attempting to buy a team.
    It’s not so much about his politics, it’s just about his racism.

33. homercles82 says: Oct 13, 2009 1:53 PM

Bwa Ha Ha says:
    October 13, 2009 1:22 PM
    ______________________________
    Thought you were talking about BJ Bill Clinton there for a second.
    Owner’s stand behind known murderer’s, wife beaters, drug abuser’s, animal torturer’s and known convicts but if someone who has said potentially racist comments wants to buy a team steps in that is crossing the line?
    They need to look in a mirror.

34. Fan_Of_ Four says: Oct 13, 2009 1:54 PM

For FK sake give this Limbaugh sh!t a rest. This douche bag doesn’t deserve more attention, especially on this site.

35. Sasquash says: Oct 13, 2009 1:56 PM

Rush is a jackoff, but everything he says has a calculated reason to it. You talk about him and that makes him relivent. It also makes him richer. I can’t tell you if I agree with him or not, I tried to listen to his show but it sucked. I never tried to listen to it again. As for all you Irsay bashers acting like he buried Rushy, he didn’t. He almost said nothing at all. He won’t vote for him, thats about it. I love how idiots talk smack on Lennon and Gaye. These two men were about love and frienship, something we all need as human beings.
    PS-Die all you scumbag Giants, Redskins and Cowboys fans.I’m an Eagles fan filled with hate for all you losers

36. njoberg says: Oct 13, 2009 1:56 PM

everyone that left a message…get a life or move
    out of America. I have been a Football Fan for
    over 40years…does it matter to me who owns a
    team?…NO. It seems to me most of those anti-rush
    people do. Just cheer for the best sport we have
    in this great country.

37. Hauschild says: Oct 13, 2009 2:06 PM

I guess one Civil War in this country wasn’t enough, huh? So, what, we a need another one to protect freedom of speech?
    What the hell is wrong with so many people? What’s the old saying about the truth shall set ye free???

38. DoomsDayD75 says: Oct 13, 2009 2:17 PM

All you retards talking crap about John Lennon and drug use… get a clue. John Lennon never said that all drug offenders should go to prison. Limbaugh did. And then he turned out to be a much bigger junkie than Lennon ever was. The hypocrisy of Limbaugh is ridiculous.
    And lol at “left wing venom”. yeah, trying to help out the poor is “left wing venom”. I guess that Jesus fellow was full of “left wing venom”.
    I guess screwing over poor people and sending young Americans off to die in the desert is what Jesus would have wanted.

39. TylerDurden says: Oct 13, 2009 2:21 PM

Irsay and the rest of the owners need to worry less about the future owners of the Rams and work on fixing the current situation in Oakland and that owner…

40. Annuvin says: Oct 13, 2009 2:28 PM

I am just curious as to how many of those rabidly protesting against Rush Limbaugh potentially owning a piece of the Rams belong to same camp that vehemently advocated the reinstatement of Mike “Dawgkilla” Vick. Seriously, I don’t care what kind of race-baiting douchebag Limbaugh may or may not be, if you allow degenerate animal torturing ex-convicts back into the league after being convicted of racketeering, I see absolutely no reason why Limbaugh should be kept out. It’s not like the NFL is actively trying to maintain exceptional standards as to who is or is not granted the priviledge of membership.

41. homercles82 says: Oct 13, 2009 2:38 PM

DoomsDayD75 says:
    October 13, 2009 2:17 PM
    ________________________________
    You got a source on that Rush quote?
    The left hasn’t been helping the poor. Their war on poverty has been “raging” for over 30 years and we still have a large segment of impoverished people. While at the same time the government offers handouts to them they create a system where it is impossible for them to better themselves and earn a higher wage. There is no incentive for them to earn more money as that money is taxed at a higher rate along with losing benefits when you move into higher income brackets.
    Jesus would of wanted nothing to do with the war or the government. No one is saying so. You brought that up. Jesus was for those with wealtha nd power examining themselves and seeing their faults so that they could then in turn help those less fortuante. Nowhere in the Bible does it say to give everything away to the poor and in turn impoverish yourself.

42. MH says: Oct 13, 2009 3:02 PM

Because an ex-hippie like Irsay and his simplistic “just give peace a chance” idiocy should matter to anyone. How about you stick to actual football topics and leave personal opinion and politics out of PFT?!

43. marcduke says: Oct 13, 2009 3:09 PM

“You are not important buddy…leave the MSNBC crew out of this, man I love those guys, they tell it like is”
    LMFAO – Deluded much, 49er? None of the major “news” outlets “tell it like it is” – they tell it in way that brings in ratings.
    JEB, you’re right on – Irsay is the last person who should be talking about being divisive. Doesn’t matter how long ago his family screwed over Baltimore – the fact is they did.

44. Bwa Ha Ha says: Oct 13, 2009 3:24 PM

You missed my point. Though I despise Rush Limbaugh, I admithe has been very effective at the business of hate generating. Everthing he does in in the interest of generating hate. Hate blacks, hate liberals, hate middle of the road Repubs, Hate, One of the offshoots is that you also generate a good deal of hatred for your behavior. When you are really good at generating hate, as is he, you deserve the fallout that is inevitable and displayed as hated towards you and your behavior. If he is being pilloried because he generates hatred, Good, he asked for it. It is only about publicity after all.
    Besides, we are talkin about the Rams, not a football team

45. jimmySee says: Oct 13, 2009 3:33 PM

Thank you Robert Irsay — my hero!

46. slipkid says: Oct 13, 2009 4:07 PM

Rush is merely goldstein at this moment and the nonwhite femimedia hath determined that he is to be hated.
    altho i disagree with them on the war… faux news gets better ratings than anything the big 3, cnn or msnbc can net. all but faux news certainly go per far left political diktats, not what the people want.

47. blueridge624 says: Oct 13, 2009 4:12 PM

Little Irsay, by his own words, is a barely comprehensible fool. This latest member of the execrable Irsay family is really a chip off the old block.

48. Kevin from Philly says: Oct 13, 2009 4:16 PM

Thanks, Florio. You’ve proved once again that politics on PFT really brings out the morons.
    Turk – are you serious? When has anyone from MSNBC said that the enslavement of people was, you know, not such a bad thing? They DO point out stupidity and hypocricy (no wonder YOU are against them!).
    Flyingelvis – Go to amazon or wherever and pick up Marvin’s “What’s Going On”. Completely agree about Yoko. What he ever saw in her is beyond me.
    Annuvin – good point, because all those PETA people who protested Vick are SO ditto-heads.

49. Ocelot138 says: Oct 13, 2009 4:25 PM

Way to go, Jimmy!
    The Colts are a standup organization, and they have a standup owner.
    Looks like the dittoheads will have to go back to their AM radios to hear any more hate speech,

50. jersey73 says: Oct 13, 2009 4:42 PM

Yet Olbermann, with his ridiculous rhetoric is allowed on NBC’s Sunday Football Night In America. Far left wacko okay…Far right wacko need not apply.
    Nothing like lack of consistency and extreme hypocrisy in the NFL.

51. GTisMe says: Oct 13, 2009 4:55 PM

I have no issue with the Message but only the messenger, who’s father ruined a franchise. Yet this fool has the nads to make a comment about anyone else? A few old quotes for ya:
    Bert Jones, the man who quarterbacked the Colts to their three winning seasons under Irsay, will only paraphrase a quote he originally gave to The Sun in Baltimore when asked about Irsay: ”He lied and he cheated and he was rude and he was crude and he was Bob Irsay.” Then Jones added, ”He doesn’t have any morals. It’s a sad state for the NFL to be associated with him, but beyond that I’ve removed him from my mind.”
    Bob Irsay’s mother, Elaine, is 84 years old and in failing health. Reached by phone at her home in Rolling Meadows, Ill., Mrs. Irsay, who still has a rich Hungarian accent, said, ”He’s a devil on earth, that one.” Every few seconds she paused for breath, her voice rising at the start of each thought, then quickly tiring. ”He stole all our money and said goodbye. He don’t care for me. I don’t even see him for 35 years. My husband, Charles, sent him to college. I made his wedding. Five thousand dollars, it cost us. When my husband got sick and got the heart attack, he [Bob] took advantage. He was no good,” she said. ”He was a bad boy. I don’t want to talk about him.”
    Shut the hell up Jim, leave the comments about humanity to someone who has some. And give us back our records!!!!

52. VoxVeritas says: Oct 13, 2009 5:27 PM

“Ballhawk – the Rooney rule only makes teams interview qualified minority coaches, it doesn’t force teams to hire minorities – of course, I can see where YOU wouldn’t want to have qualified people compete with you for a job (since you are an idiot).”
    What’s the point, when the only qualification is that an interviewee be a minority.

53. VoxVeritas says: Oct 13, 2009 5:30 PM

“ZNorseman – so your argument would be that, if Hitler was buying a franchise, anyone who objected would be “intolerant”?”
    Yes. Intolerant of a mass murderer.

54. ZN0rseman says: Oct 13, 2009 5:47 PM

———————————-
    ZN0rseman says:
    October 13, 2009 1:39 PM
    I doubt it. So who are intolerant ones again?
    ———————————-
    Kevin from Philly says:
    October 13, 2009 4:16 PM
    ———————————-
    No actually, I’m sure the left wing would love a guy like Hitler. He’s a socialist, is anti-Christian, and was a media darling… much like Obama. They would love him. Rather, I’m saying why the outrage against Rush if not only for political bias? Is speaking the truth so bad that it deserves such discrimination? Apparently in the eyes of many people here, it is.

55. pushing50 says: Oct 13, 2009 9:35 PM

Robert Irsay was a drug addict and alcoholic. Major League baseball wouldn’t let him buy a minor league baseball franchise. Talk about the pot calling the kettle black. All the NFL is interested in is how much money do you have. Just remember Indy, the Irsay’s threatened to pull the team and go elsewhere until you bent over and gave him more money and another stadium. Rush doesn’t sound bad in comparison.

56. Ocelot138 says: Oct 13, 2009 11:46 PM

Wow. The right-wing has such a capacity for intelligent argument.
    That’s the third thread someone’s called the left Nazis. You guys are GOOD. Totally burned them with a fresh and relevant comment. Nobobdy’s ever thought to call someone they disagreed with a Nazi before!
    Morons. When you accuse liberals of being elitist, it’s true – because everyone knows we’re smarter than you are. NASCAR proves it.

57. John says: Oct 15, 2009 9:13 AM

If a concern about image would prompy Mr. Isray to bar Rush Limbaugh from the ranks of ownership then why wouldn’t the drug users, convicted felons, owners and coaches who have had scrapes with the law give rise to the same concern? What is especially funny is that Mr. Isray has had his own problems. As quoted from the Indianapolis Business Journal in 2002;
    “Irsay has struggled with addiction to prescription painkillers. Then came revelations the doctor who prescribed the many pills was under investigation by state and federal authorities. ”
    Hard to take a person like this seriously.

58. John says: Oct 15, 2009 9:21 AM

Hmmmm
    For those who know history (it appears scant few do here) the Jim Crow and Segregation laws were ultimately taken down with the Interstate Commerce Clause (and NOT a lot of marching and demonstrations). And the interstate commerce clause would bar folks like Isray or Goodell from blocking a purchase bid by Limbaugh on the basis of his political views.
    In short you CANNOT exclude someone just because that someone, in your opinion, is distasteful or does not share your opinion.
    And I want to give a shout out to Ocelot138. Wow you really nailed them with the whole Nazi discussion. Oops did you forget about Dick Durbins comments on the floor of the Senate those many years ago. I am starting to think there are big IDIOTS on both sides, but at least I know which side you are an IDIOT on.

59. tommyguns says: May 2, 2010 4:01 PM

Rooney Rule- Divisive, Racist.