Brandon Jacobs is frustrated

Maybe New York just doesn’t know what to do with a drama-free, 5-0 football team that hasn’t been tested in three weeks.

But the relative struggles of starting running back Brandon Jacobs is receiving a lot of attention.  Jacobs admits he’s getting frustrated with his play and the criticism he’s hearing because of his 3.55 yards per carry average this year despite a soft schedule of late.

“I’m just being patient and trying not to get frustrated,” Jacobs said.
“Frustration is very close up on me, I’m going to be honest, I’m going
to tell you that.”

There have been suggestions that Jacobs hasn’t hit the hole as hard as previous years, but I haven’t noticed that consistently when watching Giants games.  The holes may not be as big as previous years.

“I get the ball, I get in there, I’m supposed to run smack dead into
somebody and I get criticized if I don’t do that,” Jacobs said on ESPN Radio in New York this week.

“Right now my stats aren’t very good, and people want to know why. Well
that’s why. I have the ability to make plays with my feet, but when I
try to, it’s the worst thing, I’m scum of the Earth when I do that, so
I go ahead and do what I can do.”

Jacobs clearly hears the comparisons that are being made to Ahmad Bradshaw, the team’s backup who leads the team in rushing yards despite 42 fewer carries and leads the league in yards per carry.

“Ahmad is more, he can bounce around in those little creaks and cracks
that he gets and make a lot of big plays,” Jacobs said. “Do I have the
ability to do that? Yes. But if I try to, I’m wrong if I try to make
plays like that because I’m 265, 275 pound, I’m not supposed to be
doing that. Hit it up in there, go in and hit somebody, that’s what
people want to see me do. If I don’t do it, I get criticized, if I do
do it, I get criticized. I can’t win.”

Even teammate Antonio Pierce said recently Bradshaw has turned into “one of the more complete backs in the National Football League.”

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Brandon Jacobs is frustrated”
  1. gopher says: Oct 14, 2009 11:48 AM

The team is 5 and 0.

2. Felcus says: Oct 14, 2009 11:48 AM

He better pick up the pace. He’s my #1 fantasy RB.

3. DonTerrelli says: Oct 14, 2009 11:48 AM

He got his contract, maybe he’s dogging it. There’s no Derrick Ward threatening his starting position.

4. Resolution says: Oct 14, 2009 11:54 AM

If this is all the giants have to worry about, both they and HE will be fine.

5. Babie Hoodie says: Oct 14, 2009 11:57 AM

This would be why I just trade you for Matt Forte straight up, softy.
    Now go and cry about how you are being criticized some more and maybe while you are at just quit football; you’re averaging less than 4 yards per carry a 3rd of the way through the season anyways.

6. WATSON1101 says: Oct 14, 2009 11:58 AM

Hey Brandon There comes a time in a Running Backs Life when you have to move on and make room for the new Hottness,, Get over it and get on.

7. AirlineGuy says: Oct 14, 2009 12:00 PM

I’m sure he is frustrated…he SUCKS.
    All talk, no substance. That is Mr. Jacobs.
    Runs his mouth better than he runs the ball.

8. Leviathan says: Oct 14, 2009 12:01 PM

Awww. 5-0 and fresh off a cheese puff schedule. Cry me a river.

9. ColonelFatheart says: Oct 14, 2009 12:02 PM

This problem may not seem like much now, but if the Giants go down in flames in N.O. on Sunday AND Jacobs puts up another lackluster stat line, you’ll start to hear more of this.

10. PervyHarvin says: Oct 14, 2009 12:10 PM

Quit your crying Jacobs. You may be on the best team in the NFL. You and Bradshaw each have your roll.You get like 75yds a game avg. and don’t fumble.Tell me your big ass body don’t take a toll on the D after a while? I’m a Viking fan and have watched AD,who is the best,accept his roll like a trooper now that Favre throws more and his carries have been kept low. And like the Giants,we have Chester Taylor as the 1-2 punch.

11. BoneCrusher says: Oct 14, 2009 12:10 PM

Brandon you keep doing your thing, us Giants fans KNOW what you bring to the table. Even when you dont get big yards you wear down the opposing defense. Your a major part of why we are 5-0.

12. straverse says: Oct 14, 2009 12:19 PM

This guy is such a douche bag. I’d rather hear T.O. complain than him. At least T.O. is entertaining.

13. east96street says: Oct 14, 2009 12:22 PM

Defenses have learned to constantly go low. So many of Jacobs big runs in the past were because some fool LB, or worse, DB tried to tackle him up high, got run over, and opened up the field for him to run. Everyone has learned their lessons. Take out his knees. They have adjusted their game and Jacobs hasn’t adjusted his. It’s that simple. Finally, Gregg is right. You CANNOT pay any attention to press in NYC or your career will fall apart. First off, almost none of the press has any idea what they are talking about. Second, like sharks, they can smell a drop of blood in the water a mile away. Jacobs needs to learn to say nothing – EVER – to the press. Take lessons from Eli. That guy can talk for a half an hour and not say anything at all. He says the same tired old cliches over and over again. That’s the ONLY way any athlete should ever talk to the NY press. It’s a matter of self preservation.

14. smithysmitherson says: Oct 14, 2009 12:22 PM

Haha. He said do do.

15. brewcrewe says: Oct 14, 2009 12:24 PM

I have been saying for a while Bradshaw is twice the back Jacobs is. Jacobs is horrible on passing downs and takes to long to get started into holes in the run game. In his defense, when he gets to open field he is a very tough guy to stop, but the holes in the NFL close to quickly for him to start rolling. It is a common myth that big guys are better short yardage backs. It is quick low center guys who do the best on short downs. I think Bradshaw is 1 of the top 10 backs in this league, and Im a Cowboy fan.

16. VoxVeritas says: Oct 14, 2009 12:25 PM

Aww, Brenda’s so emo. Everybody’s criticizing him! Maybe it’s the way you flopped on the ground like a little pussyfish out of water when Bradie James touched your shoulderpad after a play, ya fat-ass fairy.
    Or maybe he’s afraid that his big-mouth promise to retire if he finished the season at 3.4 yards per carry might come back to haunt him.
    Bottom line here is the Giants are 5-0 and Brenda’s crying because he’s not getting the style points he’d like to get. You’re 5-0, stupid. Try to not take it so hard.

17. Krow says: Oct 14, 2009 12:30 PM

18. VoxVeritas says: Oct 14, 2009 12:38 PM

“He’s tentative… dances a little now… and doesn’t hit the hole with authority. No one seems to know why.”
    He’s the new Ron Dayne.

19. Smush Rodrigez says: Oct 14, 2009 12:40 PM

he just isn’t that good

20. andres says: Oct 14, 2009 12:57 PM

He’s an ass who can barely come up with a coherent sentence.
    “Right now my stats aren’t very good (clearly), and people want to know why. Well that’s why (I’m sorry, what’s why?) . I have the ability to make plays with my feet(not quite), but when I try to, it’s the worst thing, I’m scum of the Earth when I do that (finally you are making sense) , so I go ahead and do what I can do (what exactly is it you do, what the f… are you talking about, you over-sized douche).”

21. Ken1313 says: Oct 14, 2009 1:05 PM

———————————————————
    No…but there is Ahmad Bradshaw threatening his position, and anyone who is paying attention ( like Tom Coughlin), is well aware of it.

22. Patsfan1776 says: Oct 14, 2009 1:07 PM

Fantasy football getting in the way of real football.

23. jsavage58 says: Oct 14, 2009 1:14 PM

Jacobs has been tip toe’in through the tulips since he got paid. Easy to watch and see. The bull used to hit the line like a sledge hammer. Now he is taking 3-4-5 baby steps before he commits. Little more east and west rather than North. Another RB who’s best days are already behind him once the checks come rollin in.

24. Kevin from Philly says: Oct 14, 2009 1:26 PM

Emo, Vox? Your QB passed out after last years loss to the Eagles and you defended T.O. when he had his “that’s my quarterback” crying fit. Hypocrite.

25. Barcid says: Oct 14, 2009 1:36 PM

The real reason Jacobs is pissed off is that he was born in the wrong century… he was supposed to be tearing men limb-from-limb on the battlefield in the 3rd century B.C., but he can’t do that now and it annoys him and that’s why he’s always so mean and nasty to LaRon Landry.

26. kilo31actual says: Oct 14, 2009 1:40 PM

Hey Brandon quit thinking about yourself and start thinking about the team. If you don’t like it then I’m sure Tampa Bay, St. Louis, Oakland or Kansas City could use you. You’re 5-0.

27. ShockAndAwe09NYG! says: Oct 14, 2009 1:45 PM

I would love to see Brandon get the stats that he did last year but thats ok, he sets everything up for Bradshaw, Bradshaw wouldn’t be as potent without Jacobs
    The two things I notice are that Brandon sets up wayyyyy to far behind the QB and it looks like he has to think about securing the ball when he gets it from Eli, It looks like he might be thinking alittle much about what hole to hit instead of making one move and thats it. He needs to understand is that his job is to where down the defense and get a couple of yards at a time, 3 is a little low because he can get that just falling down, so he should get about two to three yards and get 2 yards knocking someone over, thats perfect 4 or 5 yards a carry.

28. east96street says: Oct 14, 2009 1:59 PM

VoxVeritas says: “Aww, Brenda’s so emo.”
    That’s hysterical coming from a Cowboys fan. The Dallas D poses and flexes and carries on more than any other team and they are the source of the Cowboys problems! I loved DeMarcus pounding the field after finally getting a sack against the mighty Chiefs. Congrats DeMarcus, you finally did what you’re paid to do five games in against one of the League’s worse teams. It took a third of the season to happen and the opponent was a joke, but, please, celebrate away. Put him in Canton now! To top it off, the Dallas D almost blew that game, too! Maybe Dallas fans should worry more about the after the play performances of a defense that hasn’t been able to stop anyone in the final two minutes and is ranked 21st overall while their offense is ranked first. I actually feel bad for Romo taking all the heat when the real circus is on the other side of the ball. But then, Wade’s a defensive genius, so I’m sure he’s just trying to lull all the other teams into a false sense of security.

29. jkorn1818 says: Oct 14, 2009 2:24 PM

VoxVeritas says: “Aww, Brenda’s so emo
    ___________________________________
    Coming from a fan who had their star WR cry at a press conf “thats mah quaterback, thats mah teammate” and romo collapsing in the shower after peeing on his testicles.
    its ok, you guys look good flexing and posing after each tackle, igor should join a bodybuilding competition for flex points, someone should also tell him he doesnt play for the chargers anymore and get a new mouthpiece. The cowboys dont wear yellow and blue.

30. brewcrewe says: Oct 14, 2009 2:28 PM

@east96street
    Please in no way, think of this as taking up for Vox, but Demarcus Ware is the best outside linebacker in football. The Dallas secondary has its problems, but to imply that Demarcus is some kind of scrub….is insane. They should have beaten KC easily but the fact that they did not, does not make them barely better than KC. If that were the case: The Giants beat the Cowboys by a last second field goal, making the Giants only a field goal favorite on KC as well. The Steelers almost got beat by the Lions,but guess what…the Lions are no where near the team the Steelers are. It is the NFL and some times teams will play you harder than you thought.

31. schism says: Oct 14, 2009 2:56 PM

Jacobs is fine, they need to use him on short yardage situations, and for blocking, why isn’t he a fullback?

32. Patrian says: Oct 14, 2009 3:03 PM

—————————————-
    You obviously don’t watch the games…

33. east96street says: Oct 14, 2009 3:12 PM

brewcrewe says: “but to imply that Demarcus is some kind of scrub….is insane.”
    I wasn’t implying he is a scrub. I was merely stating that given the team’s defensive struggles, perhaps they, and he, should lay off the celebrations and poses until they fix what’s wrong. He sacked the KC QB for his FIRST sack five games in. The guy was razor close to breaking the sack record last year. That’s a significant dropoff. Does it mean he’s bad? No. But it does mean he should be mindful that maybe celebrations should wait until he regains his All Pro form and the D plays with more consistency. As for the argument that teams “play you harder than you thought”, other teams have handled KC and Tampa with ease. Why is Dallas the lone “playoff quality” team that has had trouble? Buffalo held Tampa to less yardage than Dallas did. Buffalo. That should be viewed within the Dallas organization as an embarrassment and something that needs to fixed asap.

34. jkorn1818 says: Oct 14, 2009 3:16 PM

schism says:
    October 14, 2009 2:56 PM
    ___________________________________
    because hedgecock is one of the best blocking full backs in the league and because Ahmad Bradshaw is actually a better blocking back than Jacobs, he is also better in short yardage situations. He is fine, he softens up the defense and bradshaw hits gaping holes.

35. divertito says: Oct 14, 2009 3:21 PM

Jacobs is stupid if he thinks ANYONE would care if he was “using his feet” and juking to get extra yards. It’s not like a back has a choice to either be a back with moves or a back that steamrolls guys. He can utilize both as strengths in his game. He is just frustrated he can’t figure out when to use which strategy. Here is a hint Brandon, if you can avoid a tackler, avoid him. If going through a guy is the only path to extra yards or a TD, blow the guy up. When did this become rocket science?… Oh, that’s right, once you have a new contract it is all of a sudden more difficult to perform.

36. StompinJints says: Oct 14, 2009 5:15 PM

You know, Jacobs and Shockey are not that different in character. Maybe he should just ask to be traded and stop the crying (excuses) already.
    Bradshaw and he have the same holes in the line to go through, except that even when Ahmad is wrapped up, he still fights for that extra foot. Jacobs just falls the instant he’s hit about 90% of the time. Very frustrating indeed, but to us the fans.

37. Smush Rodrigez says: Oct 14, 2009 5:34 PM

straverse says:
    October 14, 2009 12:19 PM
    ***
    Funny because it is true. So true.

38. Ocelot138 says: Oct 14, 2009 5:37 PM

“You obviously don’t watch the games…
    Dallas’s D is actualy doing well. The problem has been the offense turning the ball over for scores AND turning the ball over in the opposing teams redzone…”
    I don’t know, I saw Matt Cassel of the CHIEFS take the Cowboys into OT.
    But, you know, it’s not so bad… the Chiefs really hung in there against the Eagles and Giants Defenses, right? …Right?

39. Smush Rodrigez says: Oct 14, 2009 5:38 PM

VoxVeritas says:
    Aww, Brenda’s so emo.
    ****
    Vox, who are you to talk about emo…. We all saw your MySpace profile and picture.

40. Smush Rodrigez says: Oct 14, 2009 5:42 PM

Arguing whether Dallas sucks more on offense or defense is just stupid. They suck worst at leadership: owner, GM, and coaching.

41. Beezer says: Oct 14, 2009 11:09 PM

Airline Guy,
    Only Adrian Peterson has a better yard per carry average in his career than Jacobs. So you are right Jacobs clearly does suck.
    Vox jumps on every negative article on the Giants like a fly on crap. I guess it gives him some satisfaction because he isn’t getting any from his overrated Cowboys.