Patriots' moves spark speculation

So the New England Patriots have cut four players in less than 24 hours.

The moves have sparked all sorts of speculation.

The release of Tully Banta-Cain, Joey Galloway, Eric Alexander, and Michael Matthews opens up $2.87 million in nonprorated 2009 salary cap space, which in theory allows the Patriots to absorb a player with a full-season base salary of $2.85 million.  (Because all players were signed through 2009 only, there’s no cap acceleration arising from cutting them.)

Some are speculating that the Patriots are making a play for Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman.

Coincidentally, his full-season base salary for 2009 is $2.972 million.

Another possibility could be Rams running back Steven Jackson (WEEI radio apparently is throwing that one around), but Jackson’s full-season base salary if $5.5 million.  Also, the Rams reportedly aren’t inclined to move him.

Many also are speculating that linebacker Adalius Thomas would be included in any trade, given his surprise scratch on Sunday.  His $1.9 million full-season base salary would be offset by bonus acceleration from 2010 and 2011, the final two years of his contract.

Either way, stay tuned.

Permalink 61 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
61 Responses to “Patriots' moves spark speculation”
  1. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Oct 20, 2009 12:03 PM

Not sure I want anything to do with Merrimen. He promised things would change last night. What? 3 solo tackles is a big change. He’s washed up now that he is off the juice.

2. Legend says: Oct 20, 2009 12:04 PM

Merriman makes more sense.

3. I♥Patriots says: Oct 20, 2009 12:04 PM

I don’t think we are gonna make a trade. I highly doubt it anyhow. I think we are making room for the players to come off of PUP. Brandon Tate and Mike LeVoir. Banta-Cain and Alexander are going to be restructured. I don’t see us getting Merriman or Steven Jackson.

4. tomservo24 says: Oct 20, 2009 12:05 PM

Please Belichick don’t bring that annoying Tila Taquilla beatin’ roid-head to Foxboro. Just don’t.
    Florio doesn’t mention that the Pats already have about 5 million in open cap space right now, so they could take on a player with an almost 8M contract.

5. Kiss Bills Rings says: Oct 20, 2009 12:05 PM

NO WAY, Merriman is a shadow of his former self, especially without the steroids!!! I see no advantage to getting him!!!!
    Now Jackson would be just fine with me!!! If they did go after Jackson, they could trade Maroney straight up to Seattle for Dieon Branch….INTERESTING!!!!!!
    TBC will probably be re-signed soon…..

6. snowangel says: Oct 20, 2009 12:06 PM

Try Deion Branch.

7. VicksPuppies says: Oct 20, 2009 12:08 PM

NE has a couple rookies they are hot on coming off the PUP. Don’t think that would have salary cap implications, but could be why they needed free roster spots.

8. Zukny says: Oct 20, 2009 12:09 PM

If Steven Jackson were to be traded. What does that do to his fantasy value?
    I say this, because i am one of the Owners of such a great RB on sucha horrible team.

9. Banvard316 says: Oct 20, 2009 12:12 PM

Trading for Steven Jackson would be great for my fantasy team…well if they used him like the feature back he is and not 1 of 4 backs. Is there anyway they can trade for TO also. I would have Moss and TO on the same team but hey Brady spreads it around enough…..awww good thing dreaming is free.

10. Bob Loblaw says: Oct 20, 2009 12:12 PM

Belichick is simply trying to send a message. Winning by only 59 in the snow against a winless team is unacceptable.

11. whywerule says: Oct 20, 2009 12:12 PM

Six of the last seven blog blurbs have been Pats related…Mr. Florio must be in heaven.

12. chief says: Oct 20, 2009 12:13 PM

What if it’s Larry Johnson?

13. frankcal20 says: Oct 20, 2009 12:13 PM

Why would the chargers trade to a team that they always face in the playoffs? Its not like the backup for Merriman is an upgrade and the one area where SD can use the help is the D line.
    Could they be looking to trade for Clinton Portis – I know the numbers don’t work but as a Redskins fan, we need something.

14. nick bradley says: Oct 20, 2009 12:16 PM

The Rams need to move Jackson. The poor guy is a dominant player on an awful team. He’s 27 right now, and he’ll be 30 and past his prime (for a power back like him) by the time the Rams are competitive again.
    I think Merriman is damaged goods.

15. pfinfl says: Oct 20, 2009 12:16 PM

“Patriots’ moves spark speculation”
    And speculation is your specialty!

16. mooremi9 says: Oct 20, 2009 12:19 PM

Shawne Merriman is a cheater just like the Pats this would be a perfect fit.

17. raybin says: Oct 20, 2009 12:22 PM

No way the Rams trade Jackson. If the Rams are going to rebuild, they need him to be there to give a real run game to Jimmy Clausen or Jake Locker or whoever they take #1 overall.

18. twinkletoes says: Oct 20, 2009 12:22 PM

If Belichick is really making the transition from the 3-4 to the 4-3, then I think the move is gonna be to send Wilfork to his old crony Pioli for Dorsey. Don’t think this will be a one for one deal, but I think that getting Dorsey to play the more traditional DT role is what he’s after. Glenn is just as miscast in the Chiefs D as Aaron Kampman is in Green Bay.
    Of course, I personally thought that the Hawks could use someone of Glenn Dorsey’s caliber, but they haven’t made any moves to shore up their DT depth.

19. borg says: Oct 20, 2009 12:22 PM

Guaranteed contracts don’t vanish if a player is cut. Stop making things up…it’s embarrasssing.

20. andyinsdca says: Oct 20, 2009 12:23 PM

Exactly what the Pats need. Another washed up Charger defensive player.

21. raybin says: Oct 20, 2009 12:23 PM

Of course now that I’ve said that, they will trade Jackson. I suppose it depends on what they get in return….something like a high first rounder this year wouldn’t be a bad move. They can’t trade him away for a bag of peanuts and a foam finger.
    Wouldn’t surprise me if the Pats fans here were right and this is just salary cap dancing.

22. CJ says: Oct 20, 2009 12:24 PM

I highly doubt a big deal is in the works. What team is going to part with a top notch player, even if they are terrible? It’s all about depth right now, and not many of the crappy teams have anything that’s high caliber, with the exception of Steven Jackson, but I can’t think of anything else. I do like the idea of Steven Jackson, and if memory serves me right, I believe the Pats had him on their draft board, but weren’t willing to trade up…..that could be my own speculation….uh oh Florio…..you’ve got competition now!

23. hayward giablommi says: Oct 20, 2009 12:25 PM

file this one with the Terry Bradshaw is dead speculation. Merriman + New England= 0% chance of happening

24. ftomeo says: Oct 20, 2009 12:26 PM

WEEI attributed the Jackson rumor to you, which means the whole theory is sourced from random musing in comments.

25. M_J_C_R@Hotmail.com says: Oct 20, 2009 12:30 PM

Eagles and NE deealing again?
    How about the Eagles moving WRs Kevin Curtis or Reggie Brown for Adalius Thomas?

26. Dirk says: Oct 20, 2009 12:30 PM

VicksPuppies wrote: “NE has a couple rookies they are hot on coming off the PUP.”
    Who would that be?
    According to the Patriot’s website the only one on PUP is 3rd year Tackle Mark LeVoir.
    They have one rookie on the non-football injury list and three in the military, though.

27. TFBuckFutter says: Oct 20, 2009 12:30 PM

Mike Vrabel is still healthy, isn’t he?
    That would be my guess.

28. rich21 says: Oct 20, 2009 12:32 PM

The Rams would take an immediate $5 million cap if they traded Jackson, and they hardly have any cap space available.
    JACKSON IS NOT BEING TRADED. GET OVER IT. MOVE ON!

29. Patsfan1776 says: Oct 20, 2009 12:33 PM

Loading up the bus for the road trip to the UK. Love the comments on cheating from the bitter fans. It is getting difficult to tell who they root for since the league is full of completely horrendous teams. Detroit, Washington, Tennessee, any team in Florida, Oakland, Cleveland, St. Louis, Buffalo. mooremi9, I apologize if I missed your team.

30. Swim_Coach says: Oct 20, 2009 12:34 PM

Pats-Chiefs… trade A. Thomas to KC for LJ. Hali and Thomas coming off the edge would be nice.

31. NinerNation says: Oct 20, 2009 12:35 PM

Come on now, the Patriots always deal with the Raiders. They’ll trade for Michael Bush, or Justin Fargas.

32. Filbertkiwi71 says: Oct 20, 2009 12:37 PM

Merriman was getting double teamed quite a bit last night, someone else should have been able to get through the O-line. Remember, he is coming off of surgery and a groin injury.
    I love all of these Pats fans who are Merriman bashers. If he ever did end up with the Pats, which I can’t imagine happening, and he performed well, you would be kissing his ass.
    The Chargers trading Merriman would be a huge mistake, especially to a team like the Pats in the same conference and a rival.
    It is too early for the Chargers to give up on this season, regardless of how bad things look.

33. bake says: Oct 20, 2009 12:44 PM

trade ya jim zorn for bill belichick and every draft pick in the next decade
    signed
    skinsfans everywhere

34. cgarsmoker says: Oct 20, 2009 12:52 PM

Julius Peppers….write it down – he will be a Patriot by 4pm today.

35. troll_aikman8 says: Oct 20, 2009 12:53 PM

Billicheat knows what he’s doing.
    When Merriman arrives, he’s going to be given Rodney Harrison’s secret supplements.
    Remember kids, it’s not steroids, it’s growth hormone.
    He just needed a change of scenery and pharmacist.

36. JackieTreehorn says: Oct 20, 2009 12:58 PM

Florio, look into the Packers moving LB Desmond Bishop to the Patriots. There’s alot of talk in GB about Bishop going somewhere. He has a low salary and the Packers are overloaded at LB.

37. Jumbotron84 says: Oct 20, 2009 12:59 PM

This is out there, but Ernie Sims with the Lions is set to make 2.7 million this year and DeAndre Levy is making a strong case to start. Unless they want to keep Sims and eventually move Levy to replace Julian in the future, Sim’s is playing his way out of the roster.

38. I♥Patriots says: Oct 20, 2009 1:01 PM

According to Adam Schefter Tully has been re-signed. Like I said before, I think these are only salary cap moves and moves to make roster space for Tate and LeVoir.

39. HarrisonHits says: Oct 20, 2009 1:02 PM

” If he ever did end up with the Pats, which I can’t imagine happening, and he performed well, you would be kissing his ass.”
    I love how idiots think they can put words in my mouth.
    Loathe Merriman and if he comes to Pats will still loathe him.
    Always liked Rodney and did so long before he was a Patriot, so you can have a little bit of New England GFY thank you very much.

40. hayward giablommi says: Oct 20, 2009 1:03 PM

“You guys just loved Rodney Harrison, not so much when he was a Charger, but once he was on the Pats squad, you kissed his ass. Hypocrites.”
    ^^^^^
    Huh?
    I don’t know of any Pats fan who had a grudge against Rodney Harrison when he was a Charger…Can’t think of too many fans of any other teams that hated him either, for that matter (AFC West and Trent Green fans excluded)…that happened post 2003. Of course New England loved him as a Patriot…the guy played his ass off and fit in perfectly.
    So I take it that if Vince Wilfork signed with your team, you’d be the one protesting and leading an outcry against him, even if he leads your team to two Super Bowls?
    Keep reaching to find ways to hate the Patriots and their fans…hypocrite.

41. Coerte says: Oct 20, 2009 1:03 PM

anybody think maybe a T.O. to NE for some D help? They reigned in R Moss, why not a T.O. tandem with welker and edelman on the insides?

42. IAMTOMBRADY says: Oct 20, 2009 1:06 PM

merriman sucks…bring peppers

43. footballnut says: Oct 20, 2009 1:06 PM

Merriman is not coming here…For one SD is not out of it yet, two that is not what the Pats need.
    Jackson makes more sense, but I don’t see that happening either.
    Galloway was cut to more than likely make room for Brandon Tate coming off the PUP. Michael Matthews because he isn’t needed. And the other two are surrounded by speculation they’ll come back at a reduced rate.
    I don’t see a trade in the works with Adalius being back in the game plan this week. A week in BB’s doghouse has a way of working.

44. davis1281 says: Oct 20, 2009 1:07 PM

Filbertkiwi71 says:
    October 20, 2009 12:37 PM
    *******************************************
    You mean the same thing you and all the other Brady bashers/haters would do if there was a chance that your team could get Brady

45. VicksPuppies says: Oct 20, 2009 1:10 PM

@DIRK – The one you mentioned, plus Brandon Tate – I don’t follow college football, but apparently he was some big prospect that got injured his final year in college and they got him late in the draft as a result. He is on the non-football injury list, but I believe they can add him to the roster at this point (assuming he is healthy).

46. OntBoltFan says: Oct 20, 2009 1:10 PM

NE needs to boost their anemic pass rush or they will get another beatdown from the NYJ maybe even the Bills now. Merriman & his supplements for some DEN practice tapes and a 3rd which rises to a 2nd if he gets off the tequila.

47. geek says: Oct 20, 2009 1:13 PM

I’m sure Belichick would love to find a way to get Ed Reed, but that won’t happen.
    The possible need for a RB makes for some interesting possibilities. I doubt Belichick has any interest in SJ, but how much would Marion Barber cost? AT would fit into the Cowboys needs with Spencer not working out so well, and be a scary part of their 3-4 system opposite Ellis. The Cowboys have three startable RBs already, so it wouldn’t be a big hit to lose the least effective of them (when healthy). I know the Patriots have long had an interest in Barber, and that’s a big reason the ran after Maroney the next year when they couldn’t get Barber. It would be really interesting to see the two of them reunite in the snow of Foxboro…

48. twinkletoes says: Oct 20, 2009 1:14 PM

Though Rams fans lament that trading Steven Jackson would be a bad move they need to remember the notorious half life of the NFL running back.
    “The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.”– Blade Runner
    So many great backs go from zero to 100 and back to zero almost overnight. Living in Seattle, it was ugly to watch the sudden decline of Shaun Alexander “the Great.” A lot of that can be attributed to his playing tough and hungry for that contract payday, having Hutchison and a younger Walter Jones in front of him, and playing for a team on the rise. But he’s hardly the exception. Look at what’s happened to LJ and LT. And both of those teams now find themselves in the position where they can no longer get maximum value for either of them.
    The Rams need a LOT of help. Getting multiple picks for Jackson helps this team start the rebuilding process. When they finally gave up the ghost and released Orlando Pace and Torry Holt, it was clear that they were starting over.
    That said, I’ll be surprised if the Rams trade Jackson. The current management is having all kinds of problems, Jackson being the least of them. If the Pats get Jackson, then that instantly vaults them near the top of the AFC. But I believe the Pats move is for an impact defensive lineman/pass rusher.

49. Jimbo-VT says: Oct 20, 2009 1:15 PM

trade ya jim zorn for bill belichick and every draft pick in the next decade
    signed
    skinsfans everywhere
    Bake That is great but no !! Made me laugh. I don’t see the Patriots staying put and with $5 mill below the cap, there could be a great player coming in. Thomas has not played up to his potential since with the Pats. Dump him and he may succeed somewhere else !

50. Mattmanus says: Oct 20, 2009 1:20 PM

I dare em’ to cut Tom Brady!

51. beer_beer_beer_beer says: Oct 20, 2009 1:23 PM

They’re trading Audalius Thomas for the entire Bengals practice squad….gotta make room.

52. AtomicPunk says: Oct 20, 2009 1:26 PM

*** Breaking News ****
    The Past are cutting players because they will only need 1/2 the team to beat the Bucs this week. Look for them all to be re-signed next Monday.

53. steeltownpride says: Oct 20, 2009 1:37 PM

If we are all going to speculate allow me to add my 2 cents .
    Maybe the Steelers will Trade Willie parker and limas sweed to NE for Adalius Thomas . We lost Aaron Smith for the season . You can work Thomas as DE or move Woodley to DE and put Thomas in at OLB .
    Parker is on his last season with us . Sweed is a dissapointment . But it wont happen . But its fun to think about it .

54. Richm2256 says: Oct 20, 2009 1:43 PM

Bill Belichick doesn’t bring in players that he doesn’t have respect for, and it’s common knowledge that Roid-man is not Belichick’s kind of player.
    Something is indeed up, but it’s not Merriman.
    Anyone here listen to Coach B on The Big Show yesterday, saying he doesn’t expect much to happen? I know he can’t tip his hand, but how he says things like this with a straight face kills me!

55. Fire_Reid says: Oct 20, 2009 1:46 PM

My guess is they are making way for another great Eagles WR. first it was G. Lewis and now its R. Brown’s turn to go to New England.
    Trust me Pats fans he’s good he just needs to be coached by someone that actually understands football.

56. KevinFaulk-an-a says: Oct 20, 2009 1:47 PM

O.K. God, I know that you granted my wish on the Vick to N.E. rumors, but please, please, please, don’t let the Merriman rumors be true. He is scum. Crappy scum. I hate him. I won’t ask for anything else this year God. Unless you feel like sending Marion Barber to the Pats. That would be cool. Other than that, I’m good for the year God.

57. GBISFULLOFFATTIES says: Oct 20, 2009 1:51 PM

I hope Mr. Levoir can repay me for all the help I gave him in spanish class back in high-school, now that he is making some $$$ in NE. I’m glad to see he has a home with the Pats.
    Oh, please trade for Jackson, even thou it’s damn near impossible! It would really help my fantasy team :D

58. paul says: Oct 20, 2009 2:17 PM

The one player you don’t hear about who happens to be a street free agent is Matt Jones. Had a damn good year last year with Jax, I believe has completed his suspension for coke possession. This would be a great pickup for NE or any team. Great red zone receiver. How he isn’t signed yet, I don’t know. He’s better than most teams starters and he is without a job. Look at last night – neither Malcolm Floyd or Vincent Jackson are as good as Matt Jones.

59. Pastabelly says: Oct 20, 2009 3:04 PM

As usual, any Patriots post delivers the most hits to the comments and the craziest speculation by Florio. The obvious move is Deion Branch. They sent a message to Adalius Thomas. The cap hit is too big if they cut him. Merriman is just a bad fit in Foxboro.

60. CornFlorio says: Oct 20, 2009 3:15 PM

hayward giablommi says:
    October 20, 2009 1:03 PM
    ^^^^^
    Huh?
    Keep reaching to find ways to hate the Patriots and their fans…hypocrite.
    _________
    NO ONE has to reach to dislike Pats fans, fool. You all engender (or is it “transgender” in the case of all of you gay male Pats fans?) dislike by your collective lame bandwagon attitudes, haywoodjablowtheentirepatsteam.
    The ONLY hypocrites here are Pats fans.

61. hayward giablommi says: Oct 20, 2009 5:18 PM

@ CornFlorio
    Thanks for the words of wisdom, FlorioBorio… I guess you are calling yourself CornFlorio now? Either way, you’re fooling nobody.