Adalius Thomas breaks silence on his benching

The Patriots surprisingly deactivated linebacker Adalius Thomas for Sunday’s 59-0 win over the Titans.

So why did it happen?

“Ask Bill [Belichick],” Thomas said, per Ian Rapoport of the Boston Herald.  “He has all the answers.”

Thomas also said that he hasn’t spoken to Belichick regarding the move.

“I’m here just like Bill is every day so if somebody has a problem with you, they come talk to you,” Thomas said.  “Ain’t nobody said nothing to me.”

So what will happen on Sunday in London?

“I come to work, do my job and when the decision is made, [Belichick] makes the best decision that he thinks is for the team.  When that happens, that’s what happens.”

As to whether the deactivation will motivate him, Thomas again deferred to Belichick.

Thomas joined the Patriots as a big-money free agent in 2007, and he consistently has been a member of the starting lineup.  He had started the first five games of the 2009 season, before being scratched.

Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
45 Responses to “Adalius Thomas breaks silence on his benching”
  1. Cubanation says: Oct 21, 2009 1:47 PM

Wow, discord and unhappiness against Coach ‘Perfect’. I guess that 2012 movie is actually on to something, the world may actually be coming to an end.

2. Hap says: Oct 21, 2009 1:49 PM

AT threatened to expose Jill JellyPrick’s stealing sideline signals again so he was benched.

3. droppingloads says: Oct 21, 2009 1:50 PM

He is right Bill does have all the answers. I have seen Belichick turn water into wine. He is amazing.

4. bluenoser says: Oct 21, 2009 1:51 PM

uh oh…
    I am a HUGE Pats fan and Thomas is probably my favourite player. I think he is very under rated and the statistics show that the defense is better with him in it (let’s forget about this past Sunday for a second).
    All of that said, he just called out the Head Coach and to me this has the potential for to become a big problem in the locker room. It will be interesting to see how this unfolds, but I do not like the sounds of this.
    He is a very good player and well paid to boot. BB is not going to bench someone for the sale of it – he wants to win too badly. if he did it he has a reason. Perhaps AT thinks he deserves a roster spot just because of the size of his contract. He should get over himself. I think he should take a long hard look in the mirror and use this as motivation to show he deserves to be a part of a very inexperienced and thin LB corps.

5. RogerSucks says: Oct 21, 2009 1:54 PM

“In other words children, if you don’t have anything nice to say redirect all questions to Bill Belichick”

6. Babie Hoodie says: Oct 21, 2009 2:01 PM

You see what I did there?

7. RaidermikenLA says: Oct 21, 2009 2:03 PM

He’ll be a Raider by next week, Coach Bill always gives us first dibs before he tosses anybody away to the wayside, just ask Richard Seymour.

8. shawnc16 says: Oct 21, 2009 2:07 PM

I don’t know whats been said to A.T. behind the scenes but I hope that they wouldn’t bench a starter without saying anything to him. If you are unhappy with a guys proformance at least tell him . I don’t follow the pats too close so maybe the writing was on the wall but I haven’t heard anything about A.T. being a free agent bust so I was surpised to here about the healthy scratch.

9. JCD says: Oct 21, 2009 2:08 PM

Meh, he sounded pretty diplomatic to me, he didn’t rant and rave and pout. Good for AD, hopefully we will see a bit more productivity out of him the rest of the year.

10. Nevisyakker says: Oct 21, 2009 2:10 PM

Got to wonder why he wasn’t on the trade block if he has somehow become a healthy scratch type player in NE. I suppose his contract is too much of a concern, but an earlier post noted the injury issues of teams like Chicago at the position.

11. justintime says: Oct 21, 2009 2:11 PM

The remainder of the quote:
    “That’s over with, last Sunday is done,” he said. “Let’s move on to Tampa. It’s bigger than me. These guys had a great game. We’re trying to overshadow it by what happened to one person. No one person is bigger than the game. No one person is bigger than the team. I don’t want to make it seem like it’s about me, because it’s not about me.”

12. whywerule says: Oct 21, 2009 2:11 PM

…All of that said, he just called out the Head Coach…
    He is unhappy with being benched…GOOD…If that does not motivate him, then he needs to be benched again. If it does motivate him, then maybe Thomas will start showing up on the field, and in the stats. And while Belichick is at it, he should bench Burgess for a week or two.
    OTOH, to be fair, Thomas has not had much opportunity to play to his strength in New England which is rushing the passer from OLB. The Pats have mostly had him playing ILB, or playing the run or pass at OLB. When they have had him rushing the passer, he has done pretty well. In fact, he was one of only two Patriots who actually played well in the Super Bowl against the Giants (Welker being the other one).

13. CornFlorio says: Oct 21, 2009 2:12 PM

bluenoser says:
    October 21, 2009 1:51 PM
    uh oh…
    _________
    NOWHERE in ANY of Thomas’s comments does it show that “he needs to get over himself”. Only a Pats fan MORON like you would even imagine such a twisted meaning in Thomas’s neutral comments. But then again, ANYONE who feels the need to characterize himself as a HUGE fan of any team, obviously is a bandwagon fan who knows nothing about the game and is merely attempting to paint himself in a false light…typical of Pats fans here and elsewhere.
    GFY, brownnoser.

14. whywerule says: Oct 21, 2009 2:15 PM

You see what I did there?

Yup, you made me LMAO!!!
    It does appear that McDaniels may be the rare Belichick disciple, or the only one, that can succeed as a HC in the NFL. Of course, it is far too early to determine if he will be nothing more than a flash in the pan, but I certainly wish him well even as the HC of the Broncos.

15. Ralphie says: Oct 21, 2009 2:15 PM

Florio, you are well on your way to becoming a key part of the Borg Collective (MSNBC), where soundbites and bit’s n’ pieces of interviews are the troll bait that draws eyeballs to any MSNBC site. Well done, you sold out a long time ago.
    I read the story. You conveniently left out how the interview ended.
    “At some point, Thomas asked to move on.
    “Can we talk about Tampa?” he said. “It’s not about me. Y’all keep wanting to make this about me. It’s bigger than me. It’s about us playing Tampa, our team vs. their team so it’s not about me and Bill. We’re fine. It seems like y’all have a bigger problem with it than I do. I’m fine. I come to work, I do what I’m asked to do, and whatever decision that Bill makes, I respect that, from a player standpoint to a coach. Whether I agree with it or not is something totally different. But it’s not about me.”

16. chucktownYP says: Oct 21, 2009 2:16 PM

Wouldn’t it be funny if the Broncos ended up going 16-0 and erasing NE and Belichick off all the stat sheets as the “last team to go undefeated in a regualar season”. Not saying it would, or could, or that I even think they can….just saying.

17. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Oct 21, 2009 2:16 PM

“I think he is very under rated”…
    Sorry Bluenoser, I like Thomas as much as the next guy, but under rated never enters my head when I watch him play. Over rated, yes, but not under rated. Everytime I see him in pass coverage, 4 yards behind the intended receiver…… or everytime I see him get juked by a RB….. or everytime I see him get blocked by an average RB……..
    He might make the defense better collectively, he might not, I dont know that answer, but in a one on one situation, where he needs to make a play, more often than not he isnt the one making the play…. The Pats have more trouble getting their defense off of the field than any team in the NFL. They give up loooooong drives because they cant make a play on 3rd down. And it seems like Thomas is the weak link on most of those third down conversions by the opposing offense….

18. Lucas says: Oct 21, 2009 2:18 PM

Hap = person who has lost a lot of money betting against the Patriots.
    Babie Hoodie = person who has only been watching football for the last 5 years. Before Mcdaniels they said the same thing about Charlie Weis also said the same thing when Romeo Crennel. What size is your pink shirt XXL?
    Obvisously Adalius needs to pick it up, or shut it up, or both.

19. Frank says: Oct 21, 2009 2:18 PM

And the rest of the story from what A.T. said:
    Print this.

20. JPeezy says: Oct 21, 2009 2:21 PM

Rex Ryan’s scheme made Adalius Thomas. Outside of it he is just an ordinary player.

21. Kiss Bills Rings says: Oct 21, 2009 2:23 PM

A.D. …sometimes it’s wiser to keep one’s mouth shut then open it & remove any doubt….
    Be a man & unbunch your panties & be the player you believe yourself to be….
    Pouting in the corner like a little be-otch does nothing for your credability & re-enforces Bills actions once again….
    Keep acting like that & enjoy the bench & your last season as a Patriot…..you’ve been in the league for years, be a leader….

22. Pastabelly says: Oct 21, 2009 2:29 PM

A message was sent to Thomas by the benching. He has taken some stupid penalties. Since he can rush the quarterback better than Burgess, it makes no sense to bench him unless the plan was to light a fire under his ass.
    Babie Hoodie, nobody is selling Josh McDaniels short. Unlike the troll coaching in Cleveland, he respects where he came from. For a 33-year old, he has class beyond his years. He’s making Pat Bowlen look smart for cutting the cord with Shanahan who allowed Cutler to be a prima donna and his defense to go down the toilet.

23. nationscapital10 says: Oct 21, 2009 2:31 PM

“I am a HUGE Pats fan and Thomas is probably my favourite player.”
    hahah…what about Tom Brady?

24. Ralphie says: Oct 21, 2009 2:34 PM

@Babie Hoodie says:
    October 21, 2009 2:01 PM
    “Everyone is starting to realize Josh McDaniels was really the brains behind the scenes the entire time.”
    _______________________________________
    Josh’s only issue right now is Denver’s front-running fans (and Brandon Marshall – depending on his menstruation cycle). A couple of losses and both will start showing their true colors again (yellow) which were on full display throughout last spring and summer.

25. planktonDisciple says: Oct 21, 2009 2:34 PM

AT was playing well, but not as well as he is capable. BB simply wanted to demonstrate they are fine w/o him in hopes of motivating him to work harder. Not much here.

26. Thepartybrigade says: Oct 21, 2009 2:35 PM

A.D has been a decent acquistion for the team to date. However the fact that his contract is exceeding his stats is cause for a problem. If Thomas cannot see it that way, He will play him out of a Patriots uniform come 2010.
    I think its clear the reason for the benching, hoping to light a fire in this guy, and become the beast they signed him to be. It will be curious to see how he reacts to situation he has been put into. There was no reason to trade, or cut this guy. He has potential to be a great player, but how long til we see it?

27. Davnpurt says: Oct 21, 2009 2:41 PM

AT was a malcontent his latter years in Baltimore. It was largely hidden due to the relative success of the Ravens, generally, and their defense, specifically. I distinctly recall no one in Charm City really being all that upset when he left for FA in 2007. I suspect this was part of the reason why.
    Additionally, he had an inflated sense of self thanks in large part to the success of the Raven’s defensive system (e.g. Ed Hartwell) and believed he was better than maybe he really is/was. It stands to reason that this, plus his sizable contract, leads him to believe he is in a position to subtly attack a coach with three super bowl rings.

28. dancer642 says: Oct 21, 2009 2:43 PM

Florio, you are cherry picking comments again!!!!! I listened to the entire interview and it was not as negative as you are portraying. He stated” that there was NO PROBLEM between he and Bill” As a point of fact…(something you rarely rely on) the Pats have the position coach tell any player if they are inactive for a game. Keep hating on BB it entertains us “Hoodies”

29. HarrisonHits says: Oct 21, 2009 2:48 PM

“Wouldn’t it be funny if the Broncos ended up going 16-0″
    No it would be great. Josh was fantastic with the Pats, and I liked what he did with the Donks in the offseason to stop the inmates from running the asylum.
    Good for him if he’s the one who matches or outdoes what the Pats did.

30. summerfart says: Oct 21, 2009 2:52 PM

@ justintime
    Thanks for actually including the only important part of Florio’s horrible article.

31. Matt Walsh says: Oct 21, 2009 3:25 PM

Word is Thomas refused to wear a microphone under his shoulder pads, thus the benching.
    Stay Classy Belicheat.

32. hayward giablommi says: Oct 21, 2009 3:26 PM

Hey CornFlorio:
    Your act wore thin when you used the FlorioBorio screenname. You’re not fooling anyone with your one track agenda, and there’s no place here for your lame ad hominem attacks on Patriots fans. I mean, seriously, what’s your problem dude?
    Either talk some football or leave.

33. CornFlorio says: Oct 21, 2009 3:27 PM

Collective translation of all of the Pats fan comments here:
    WAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
    *as usual

34. JoeSixPack says: Oct 21, 2009 3:39 PM

Good thing Thomas cleared that all up by breaking his silence
    I’m really disappointed that the Patriots don’t let the inmates run the asylum like every other team.
    Gotta love it how other clueless fans are chotling about the fact that the Patriots have a coach who is actually in control of under performing players.
    Meanwhile those same clueless fans cry foul when the Patriots reward an underpaid player.
    Shouldn’t that be the “rule” in the NFL rather than rules that prohibit rewarding performance and good behavior?

35. hayward giablommi says: Oct 21, 2009 3:50 PM

Adalius has had some flashes of brilliance, but definitely nothing living up to the expectations that I had of him when he signed.
    That said, I have a feeling his benching will have the desired effect.

36. Youngone says: Oct 21, 2009 3:55 PM

# RaidermikenLA says: October 21, 2009 2:03 PM
    __________________________________
    Only a Raider fan would be stupid enough to think that you can trade someone past the deadline. Even the Patriots can’t pull that move off.

37. elduderino13 says: Oct 21, 2009 4:04 PM

So disillusioned. I thought that Belichick was Santa Claus, the Pope and freakin’ Ghandi all rolled into one.

38. Ken1313 says: Oct 21, 2009 4:44 PM

JoeSixPack, haven’t we all realized by now, that jealousy is the root of all the negative Patriots comments…just as it is towards the Steelers….as it was towards any other great team in it’s day.
    Real Patriots fans, like yourself, and the rest of us who actually watch the games and see what is really going on (not the propaganda and hater blogs/columns/comments) sit back and laugh hysterically that most of these clueless morons spend more time trying to tear down the Patriots, than they do trying to see positive sides to their own teams. Maybe that’s because they are not well run organizations, who do not allow players like T.O. to think they are above the rest of the team..or have their own bitch sessions to the press.
    These clowns look at any Patriot story on this site and try to make something negative out of it while ignoring real negative stories. Just check the most commented stories…most involve the Patriots…………..
    Remember when Seymour was traded? All we heard was how horrible the Patriots defense was…..and how the Jets were now the class of the AFC East…..and what do we hear about that now???? CRICKETS……that’s it. LOL It never ends….and it never will.
    So sit back, pop open a cold one…and laugh……it gets more funny every day

39. Ralphie says: Oct 21, 2009 4:53 PM

CornFlorio,
    your Pats troll-bait posts suck. You’re trying to follow in the long line of legendary anti-Pats-posting douchebags like gameday, sixburghdude, taintedtrophies and wingnut but your junior varsity rants are no where near major league mongoloid postings of those moronic tools. You got a 40 mph fastball in a major league game chickehead.
    You do have a momentary spasm of creativity once each month, about five days into your twelve-day menstruation cycle, but you got no game boy. GFY wannabe.

40. whywerule says: Oct 21, 2009 5:00 PM

..Gotta love it how other clueless fans are chortling about the fact that the Patriots have a coach who is actually in control of under performing players..
    Meanwhile those same clueless fans cry foul when the Patriots reward an underpaid player…

Well said…

41. TheBigOldDog says: Oct 21, 2009 5:01 PM

Darth Florio plays his readers like a frigging Stradivarius. It’s embarrassing how quickly fish rise to the bait.

42. Youngone says: Oct 21, 2009 5:05 PM

Shut up Pats fans. You want people to be hating on you….that means you’re doing something right. You should looking for ways to find more haters.
    Some Katt Williams logic

43. Ken1313 says: Oct 21, 2009 5:05 PM

Honestly….if any other team had done the same thing…would there ever have been a story printed about it here? Of course not…….

44. CornFlorio says: Oct 22, 2009 1:42 PM

whywerule says:
    October 21, 2009 5:00 PM
    Well said…
    _______
    Missed by all of you moronic Pats fans is the fact that in the last five years, Belichick has had PLENTY of under performing players…HENCE the ZERO Super Bowl titles in that time frame.
    LMFAO!!!!!!!!

45. CornFlorio says: Oct 22, 2009 1:47 PM

hayward giablommi says:
    October 21, 2009 3:26 PM
    Hey CornFlorio:
    Either talk some football or leave.
    _______
    GFY, haywoodjablowtheentirepatsteam. This is a free country in case you didn’t know it, so I will post here whenever I please and none of you Pats fan pussies will stop me. Besides, when I see you Pats morons lay off of other teams, players and coaches, then I may consider doing the same to your overrated team. As far as lame attacks, no one does them as lame as you Pats fan losers. As far as any “problem” goes, once you loudmouthed Pats fans learn to know your place, then maybe the rest of us will lay off.
    As far as talking football goes, if you think that the brainwashed crap that you Pats fans parrot from other sportswriters is “sports talk”, then you aren’t fooling anyone but yourselves.