SportingNews.com: NFL, union should act now to prevent rush to 2010 draft

With much talk about the quality of the coming pool of NFL rookies, there’s a dynamic that could make the draft class even better.

A perception exists that, with the arrival of a new labor deal, the windfalls for incoming players will disappear.

And so the league and the NFLPA should come together now to find a way to close the potential floodgates.

For more, here’s our midweek offering from SportingNews.com.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Features, Top Stories, Union
17 Responses to “SportingNews.com: NFL, union should act now to prevent rush to 2010 draft”
  1. SATAN567 says: Oct 21, 2009 11:48 AM

Why will the windfalls disappear? There is a complete lack of information here, Florio. Feed us more!

2. borg says: Oct 21, 2009 11:54 AM

Were you on the crapper when you thought up those 3 lines….

3. nasheagles says: Oct 21, 2009 11:57 AM

they need a rookie cap period.. the windfall will only affect the top 10-15 slots.. there’s going to be a deal and theres going to be 1 year with alot of underclassmen thinking they’ll get paid more… College players are not in the NFLPA so they have no vote and without Upshaw standing firm on no rookie cap. Smith got the job to get Vet’s more money sooner,

4. HarrisonHits says: Oct 21, 2009 12:04 PM

“The only effective alternative would be for the league to embrace the current system (which isn’t as bad as advertised)”
    Really ? Around half the players getting paid mega millions in salary are busts and you think that’s not that bad ?
    Its pathetically bad. If I only did 50% of my work effectively I would not have held any job I’ve ever had. The system is terrible.

5. mike says: Oct 21, 2009 12:09 PM

This is why all those big-name players who stayed in college this last time made a BIG mistake.

6. ElCabong says: Oct 21, 2009 12:11 PM

@ borg
    Try clicking the link at the bottom of the article.

7. Chitown says: Oct 21, 2009 12:21 PM

The rush is on and there is nothing Florio or anyone else can do about it.

8. lichnor says: Oct 21, 2009 12:30 PM

Mike (above in comments) says it right.
    If you have the talent to leave school early and enter the draft as a first round pick (especially top 5 or 10)……..in the immortal words of Nike….
    JUST DO IT!!!!!!
    ___________________
    Because I can not think of one, and this does not by any stretch mean there aren’t any, could some folks here list players that were considered first round talent who decided to stay and thus improved their projected draft location?

9. Grulks says: Oct 21, 2009 12:35 PM

Florio writes:
    Isn’t as bad as advertised??? This explains your multiple previous comments about how the current system unfairly penalizes the worst teams by forcing them to commit multiple tens of millions of dollars to rookies who are a crapshoot away from being a bust.
    In case you decide to play the deaf ear card, do a search for your article “the case for a true rookie wage scale”.
    You can’t have it both way Mike. But it’s not all bad, because now I know what get your for christmas: a nice brand new soap box for you to stand on. I figure with all the dancing around on this subject you’re doing, your current one will be well work out by Christmas time.

10. alewatcher says: Oct 21, 2009 12:50 PM

The current system is broken. The first guys to the trough get the big money, without ever showing they can actually play in the NFL. At least half of those guys are either complete busts, or fall short of expectations. Teams that consistently finish poorly can find themselves with a large portion of their salary cap devoted to players that under perform.
    The draft is supposed to help you rebuild, but a couple of bad years can put your team in salary cap hell for a long time. Many times you can’t even trade out of the top slots because of a perceived lack of talent in a particular draft year.
    I don’t think it’s an accident that the bad teams are epically bad this year. The NFL needs an NBA-style system for rookies. The big money comes in the second contract, giving the player an incentive to perform. I’m pretty sure that if someone paid me $40 million, guaranteed, before I ever played a single down or even got to camp, my ambition would have pretty much left the building.
    ——————-
    Oh yeah, and fix the friggin’ login already! (If anyone at MSNBC has a clue, that is.)

11. mike says: Oct 21, 2009 12:51 PM

Didn’t Peyton Manning return to college? He’s the only player recently that I can think of who skipped his first chance at the NFL draft and came out of it OK.

12. mustbechris says: Oct 21, 2009 12:52 PM

thank god…i thought this was another rush limbaugh article at first.

13. Bwa Ha Ha says: Oct 21, 2009 12:55 PM

I am 58, I have decided to declare for the 2010 NFL draft.
    Please call me at 555-1267 for the details of how to pay me.

14. shawnc16 says: Oct 21, 2009 1:08 PM

Bwa Ha Ha says:
    October 21, 2009 12:55 PM
    I am 58, I have decided to declare for the 2010 NFL draft.
    Please call me at 555-1267 for the details of how to pay me.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I’m better than Bwa Ha Ha so even if I get taken in the draft after him I should still get paid just as much.

15. DILLIGAF says: Oct 21, 2009 2:42 PM

Yeah, there really is going to be rush of draft picks. The last time I checked there draft has only 7 rounds, and there is a max on the number of signed players for a team, sounds to me like a lot of young men are going to lose there eligibility and declare for the draft because someone told them they can get millions. Solid logic, can’t wait to see how many of them end up asking if I would like to super size that order.

16. Mr.D says: Oct 21, 2009 2:54 PM

Mike: “When you get your chance to make your money with the NFL you BETTER take it right away.”
    Yeah because college degrees are WAY underrated. Shut your mouth dude. Mark Sanchez made the right decision. pahahaha getting his ass whooped by the dolphins wasnt enough, the cold weather got to him with the Bills. 6 Ints with The freakin Bills.

17. matt Russell says: Oct 23, 2009 9:47 AM

you could stop whining that they’re busts and just do better scouting and coaching. let’s take a little responsibility here. I’m not saying these rookies deserve all that money, but they are supposed to be stars, so teams pay for potential, and it’s their job to bring it out. Also, to say that the current system keeps bad teams bad, look at this from 1998 by seeing who had the first 5 picks if they stayed bad.
    There are a lot of more current playoff teams in the top 5 than loser teams. The Browns show up a lot in the first 5 picks, maybe they should learn something.