Ward enjoying best start to season at age 33

I remember Hines Ward, after last year’s Super Bowl victory, hobbling to his podium, barely able to walk, soaking up every last second of the win with his daughter.

After discussing the game, Ward was asked about the pain he played in that night, the exhaustive treatments he undertook to get ready for the game, and the upcoming surgeries he was likely to go under.

And I thought: it’s great for Ward he won another title because there are probably only so many surgeries a player can go through.  In the end, he only had his shoulder “cleaned up” and avoided another procedure on his long-troublesome knees.

And now, after a career defined more by third-down conversions and blocks than statistics, Ward is leading the league in receiving yards and tied for the lead in receptions.

“I would hope people would be proud of me,” Ward told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this week. “There’s a guy 33 years old leading the league. . . . I’m having the best time of my life,” he said. “I’m having fun. This is definitely fun. I look forward to Sundays.”

Just like Heath Miller, Santonio Holmes, and Mike Wallace, Ward is benefiting from Ben Roethlisberger’s career season and Pittsburgh’s new pass-first approach.  (And Roethlisberger is benefiting from a running game and defense that is forcing him to throw more than usual.)

Like the other receivers, Ward is making more plays down the field than ever before.  He is on pace to set a career high in yards per catch.

“When I retire is the day when I watch on film and say the Hines I know
can beat this guy and then I can’t get open on this guy. Then I’m done,
because I don’t want to end on that note. I want to go out on top.”

Permalink 72 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
72 Responses to “Ward enjoying best start to season at age 33”
  1. DonTerrelli says: Oct 23, 2009 11:02 AM

Classy guy!
    /glances at my #86 jersey ready to be worn on Sunday

2. TD21 says: Oct 23, 2009 11:03 AM

I am not a fan of the Steelers at all, but you have to give it to Hines Ward. The guy is a gamer, and plays with a passion and intensity that make it tough not to cheer for him.

3. chapnasty says: Oct 23, 2009 11:05 AM

4. kravon says: Oct 23, 2009 11:05 AM

Steeler haters this is your cue!

5. stevemcguigan says: Oct 23, 2009 11:10 AM

Tough, skilled player with a lot of heart.

6. jbruder02 says: Oct 23, 2009 11:10 AM

The Steelers defense isn’t as great as it was last year, that’s a fact, but by no means is it bad. Florio check out the stats before writing dumb stuff.
    Hines and Steeler haters… lets hear it.
    I’m sure you are more worried about him blocking the shit out of your guys than giving him credit for his accomplishments. It’s not his fault that he’s tougher than most of the defensive players in the league, that’s just his nature.

7. Twiz says: Oct 23, 2009 11:10 AM

chapnasty says: October 23, 2009 11:05 AM
    ________________________
    This particular blog is about Hines Ward, not trolls like you!

8. i'm president charlie! says: Oct 23, 2009 11:12 AM

i wouldnt want any other receiver on my team. best complete receiver in the league.
    SMILE! it confuses people.
    cue the jealous cheap shot artist whiners….

9. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Oct 23, 2009 11:14 AM

When it’s withing the rules, it’s not a cheap shot, chapnasty.
    I have no problem saying it, dude is a stud and I wish he was a Raider.

10. Watson11101 says: Oct 23, 2009 11:14 AM

Hmmmmm Older player doing awesome all of a sudden,, what does that sound like to you. I wouldnt put it past anyone nowadays. Just a thought.

11. JPeezy says: Oct 23, 2009 11:14 AM

Ward is:
    #1 in catches
    #1 in yards
    #1 in catches of 20+ yards
    #1 in yards per game
    #5 in first downs
    The most amazing stat is that he has 41 catches in only 52 targets! The guy catches everything thrown near him! For comparison sake Andre Johnson has 36 catches in 66 targets. Randy Moss has 38 catches in 58 targets and Chad Ochocinco has 29 in 53..

12. slutnuts says: Oct 23, 2009 11:16 AM

if he was on your team chapnasty, you’d love him, only those who hate the steelers think this guy isnt excellent in every facet of the game.

13. Citizen Strange says: Oct 23, 2009 11:21 AM

Finally the Steelers have an elite receiver…the constant doubles on Santonio Holmes are opening up things for Ward, Miller and Wallace.
    Say what you will about T.O. but he has made a career out of drawing double coverage.

14. LarryBird18 says: Oct 23, 2009 11:23 AM

Not a fan of Hines at all. I respect players who play tough but hines deserves zero respect from anyone. I remember in High School, there was always the one doosh bag on the team that after the play was over would go searching for people who weren’t looking to knock out. I guess all the classless steeler fans would classify this type of play as “awesome”. Any other respectable person or player, would call that foolish. I am all for knocking guys out and hard hits but when the play is 20 yards is up field leaving you or anyone else around you irrelevant to the play, what makes it cool looking for a cheap shot on a guy who has no idea your coming full speed at him. Steeler fans need to pray and thank christ for Dick Lebaeu, because without him over all of these years the steelers are nothing. The Vikings are gonna win this game. The Steelers cannot match up with our team talent wise. Lets take a look.
    O-Line: Minnesota
    D-Line: Minnesota
    Running Back: Minnesota
    Receivers: Tie
    Quarterback: Minnesota
    Secondary: Sh*tsburg
    Linebackers: Very Slight edge to Sh*tsburg
    Explosive players who can hit a home run on any given play : Minny effin Sota
    To me the Ravens are a better team than the steelers and we dominated that team for 3 and half quarters until the collapse..Still won the game…Pitsburg struggled with Detroit for christ sakes 20 to 28 against Detriot? I say Minny 31…ShItsburg 21. LOCK THAT UP

15. brownswinner says: Oct 23, 2009 11:26 AM

Cheap Shot Artist!

16. JPeezy says: Oct 23, 2009 11:28 AM

ChapNasty already got OWNED in the Roethlisberger thread this morning. He is just a Steeler hater. I wish we could line him up and let Ward crack back on him one good time!
    Ward will be a HOF’er when all is said and done. His playoff stats are already 2nd only to Jerry Rice for receivers, and he’s sure to play a bunch more playoff games. He’ll finish his career as 1000 catch, 12000+ yards, 85+ TD guy with 5 or more Pro Bowls, 2+ SB’s, and a SB MVP to go along with the title of best blocking WR ever.
    Not bad for a guy who spent most of his career on a running team with Kordell Stewart, Mike Tomczak, and Tommy Maddox throwing him the ball.

17. PhillyHouse says: Oct 23, 2009 11:28 AM

I am definitely not a Steelers or city of Pittsburgh fan at all. However, Ward is a beast! At UGA, he played 100 positions. I knew he would be a good pro, but he’s a HOF.
    BTW, he’s helped my fantasy teams, too.

18. bobisstup says: Oct 23, 2009 11:32 AM

Hines Ward, overrated because he plays for the steelers or overrated because he smiles all the time?

19. PervyHarvin says: Oct 23, 2009 11:33 AM

I like players with tough guy mentalities and back it, Ward is one. I also like to see older guys perform at a high level in a sport where after 30 they start calling you “the old guy.” This Sunday us fans get to see 2 on the same field. Ward at 33 and Favre at 40,both at the top of their game. Still think Brett would call Ward a youngster though lol

20. kravon says: Oct 23, 2009 11:33 AM

LarryBird – stop being a homer for a second.
    Minnesota has an average defense at best and without Winfield (just look at the stats) and will likely get exposed. You have to admit that Pittsburghs linebackers are superior to Minny. Heath Miller will prove that on Sunday. Can Brett throw the ball over 20 yards?

21. Lombardi 6 says: Oct 23, 2009 11:37 AM

The only wide receiver in the NFL who isn’t a total dick..Next stop–Canton!!

22. defensiveplaymaker says: Oct 23, 2009 11:38 AM

# i’m president charlie! says: October 23, 2009 11:12 AM
    SMILE! it confuses people.
    cue the jealous cheap shot artist whiners….
    He’s arguably the best blocking wr in the game today, but to say he’s the best complete receiver in the league? Come on, that’s too much of a stretch. You’re telling me you’d rather take Hines over Larry Fitzgerald? I’m all about team pride but let’s not get ridiculous here.

23. chapnasty says: Oct 23, 2009 11:44 AM

@ JPeezy
    Read my response to you on that thread….
    Anyone who thinks Hines Ward is not dirty is out of their minds! He looks for anyone not looking and lays them out. It is almost as cheap as Roy Williams horse collaring everyone (notice i bring this up being a cowboys fan and i hated roy williams) So what he is finally leading the leauge is something other than personal fouls, good for him.

24. Bens Attorney says: Oct 23, 2009 11:47 AM

Hines Ward is one of the best recievers in the business and I love all the Steeler haters saying that he is a cheap shot artist and all that. Well let me ask all you Steeler haters Tell me one receiver out there that plays with the heart and ability that he does? I cannot name one. And I am talking can block, catch, make big plays, all of that. No can think of any. Get over Hines is the Man and always will be. Get over it haters.
    Dont hate him cause you aint him.

25. LATRELL843 says: Oct 23, 2009 11:48 AM

Hines Ward is definantly a god blocking receiver, but as far as a prototypical receiver, which means (good *fast* route running, and deep threat, with garanteed hands!!) he is not!! but hey we can all use another keyshawn johnson type for blocking you know

26. wyoff says: Oct 23, 2009 11:48 AM

“Larrybird 18-
    To me the Ravens are a better team than the steelers”
    That’s because you’re an idiot. The Steelers’ linebackers are only “very slightly” better than the Vikings? Ridiculous.
    This is a tough match-up for the Steelers, though. If the Vikings win, it’ll be because of Minnesota’s excellent D-line dominating the Steelers’ mediocre O-line. and because of Aaron Smith’s absence. If the line can hold, Roethlisberger will tear the Viking’s swiss cheese secondary apart. The Steelers’ passing game is better than the Ravens’. On defense, Smith’s absence is a lingering question. If the Kirscke/Eason/Hood rotation can do an adequate job of filling in for him, then AP is going nowhere, and Favre will be lobbing interceptions. He’s due for a patented Farve meltdown (or perhaps he’s just saving that for the playoffs. Has Farve had a decent playoff game this decade?)

27. Bens Attorney says: Oct 23, 2009 11:53 AM

@ Kravon LarryBird – stop being a homer for a second.
    Nice post! I think the Ravens showed exactly how weak thier secondary is. and another point we know as Steeler fans Ben can throw over 20 yards. I agree , I think Heath, Hines , Tone, and Wallace will show that the secondary is weak.. To many weapons for them to cover and Mendy is getting good at catching the short passes. I think it will be a good one . I think Harrison and Woodley will have a big day also. And you know there is that other guy you know the one that likes to catch INTS… Troy will be there also. Cant wait.

28. PervyHarvin says: Oct 23, 2009 11:58 AM

kravon says: Can Brett throw the ball over 20 yards?
    ————————————————–
    You obviously didn’t see us play the Ravens. Favre hit Rice with a laser right on the money that went 63 yards in the air. Don’t worry,you will get to see it plenty on Sunday. Our D average at best??? Bet the Steeler O lineman and Ben,you know,the players that have to face us,would tell you that you are an idiot!

29. cowboys1 says: Oct 23, 2009 12:07 PM

Larrybird18 ur an idiot if you really call yourself a football fan and cant recognize that hines Ward is the type of player that anyone would want on their team, even minnesota. And you really dont know football if you think baltimore has a better D than Pittsburgh this year. Minnesota will lose and favre will be knocked out of the game after the 5th or 6th sack

30. Absolute says: Oct 23, 2009 12:11 PM

I just wish my Falcons would have kept him in Georgia instead of selecting Jammi German. See how that worked out for us…hindsight is 20/20.

31. i'm president charlie! says: Oct 23, 2009 12:14 PM

defensiveplaymaker – i did get a little carried away w/ that. I would take Larry Fitz or Andre Johnson over Hines at this point in their careers.
    Hines brings a lot of immeasurables to the Steelers team. By “complete” I also can throw in leadership beyond his toughness, intelligence, and excellent hands. After attending many Steelers training camps over the years I’ve seen Hines Ward’s work ethic and how it rubs off on other players. After practice Hines catches hundreds of balls off the jugs machine and the other receivers follow his lead. He also hangs around after his own extra practice and signs autographs for the fans, usually well after most other players have gone to the locker room.
    i guess my man-crush on him took my comment a bit too far.

32. chapnasty says: Oct 23, 2009 12:15 PM

Canton? I’m not even going to look up his career stats because I dont care that much but are you serious?

33. Florios'Lawyer says: Oct 23, 2009 12:18 PM

“# chapnasty says: October 23, 2009 11:05 AM
    chapnasty, the new Vox wannabe.

34. Deb says: Oct 23, 2009 12:23 PM

Okay, defensiveplaymaker, I’ll say it: I’d rather have Hines than Fitzgerald. Fitz is phenomenal. But I consider more than showtime stats. I look at intangibles like leadership and heart. Like another poster said, Hines displayed both while working with several less-than QBs before Ben came along. Hines is the best blocking receiver in the NFL. You can’t put a price on what he brings in terms of helping extend plays by being that tough SOB the haters love to hate.
    Hines isn’t a cheap-shot artist. He’s a receiver who actually blocks rather than tapping incoming defenders once on the shoulders before stepping to the side. He isn’t afraid to go up the middle, take the hard hits–and come up smiling.
    People like Warren Sapp say he’s earned his ticket to Canton. The only defenders who whine about cheap shots are the Ravens. They want to be the baddest boys on the field. So when someone outhits them, they rage about the unfairness of people challenging their manhood (see Ray Lewis after the Pats game; why turn bad officiating into a challenge of your manhood?). Hines outhits them, so they put out illegal bounties on him and their fans (Bengals fans, Browns fans, Cowboys fans) say he’s a cheap-shot artist. Take that for what it is.
    He’s a consistent leader, motivator, blocker, receiver–a complete player. Nope, wouldn’t trade him for anyone else.

35. chapnasty says: Oct 23, 2009 12:24 PM

Flroio’sLawyer
    Please dont compare me to that idiot! I am a level headed Cowboys fan who just says some things to get people going. He is just a damn idiot and I have gotten into debates with him as well. He never seems to say anything back though.
    But Hines ward is still dirty, and not nearly as good as all of the steeler’s fans are making him out to be.

36. cowboys1 says: Oct 23, 2009 12:27 PM

chapnasty are you just trying to stir the pot or do really not know anything about football

37. Holeinone09 says: Oct 23, 2009 12:27 PM

Ward is a fantastic overall receiver and football player. He could have fit right in during the Butkus, Lambert and Nitschke eras. He may not be the absolute best in each area among wideouts today (except blocking) but he does it all at a higher level than anybody else right now, and considering his age yet. Glad he is on my team. I would not take another receiver in the league over him right now. He has a wonderful football attitude, is a complete team player, and has more passion than most.
    The morons, like chapnasty and bird, clearly do not watch every play of every Steeler game to see how this guys performs, so they really have no F’n idea what they are talking about. They watch the one highlight that is shown over and over and over when he smacks somebody. Big deal. Hey losers, get some credibility in your posts. Ooooooppps, sorry! That is impossible for you when you post your constant hating drivel.
    WAITING FOR THE BIG GAME THIS WEEKEND!
    GO STEELERS!

38. The Jimmy says: Oct 23, 2009 12:45 PM

chapnasty says:
    October 23, 2009 12:15 PM
    ___________________
    Maybe you SHOULD look up his stats. And then consider he’s put up those stats on teams that have traditionally not thrown the ball much. Also remove from the equation that he plays for a team that you obviously aren’t very rational about. Hines Ward is one hell of a football player. I don’t know if he makes the hall or not as his career isn’t over, but to just dismiss the thought with “are you serious” says something about your actual knowledge and/or bias. He certainly deserves consideration.

39. i'm president charlie! says: Oct 23, 2009 12:53 PM

chapnasty – still tryin to troll? Ward has numbers comparable or even better than John Stallworth and Lynn Swann and they are both in the Hall of Fame. Add on to his resume a Super Bowl MVP, unequaled blocking ability, and ability to be effective even late in his career he will be enshrined in Canton. You know Stallworth and Swann right? Those receivers that beat the Cowboys in the Super Bowls?

40. KaiserSoze says: Oct 23, 2009 12:57 PM

@# chapnasty says: October 23, 2009 11:05 AM
    “And then he took another cheap shot on someone that wasnt looking in an attempt to make himself look tough. pathetic.”
    I ran this through the “moronic gibberish” to “English” translator I found on Google and got:
    “I’d be the first person in line to buy his jersey if he ever came to play for my team”.

41. chapnasty says: Oct 23, 2009 1:19 PM

@cowboys
    Yeah, I have a big weekend planned, its almost time go home, so I am really just trying to stir the pot today. And it is working. I know more than half these idiots who just worship their teams regarldess of truth.

42. PervyHarvin says: Oct 23, 2009 1:21 PM

@ Chap in the ass – You like conflict?? Put on your big boy boots and go take a troll down a Viking/ Packer thread and see how long it takes before you get your ass handed to you. I dare you!

43. chapnasty says: Oct 23, 2009 1:47 PM

@ Percy
    I have no idea what your implication is. Are you trying to say that Viking and Packer fans are the most loyal? I beg to differ sir. Steeler, Cowboys, Eagles, those are the most loyal fans on this website. There is nothing to be said bad about the Vikings idiot. And the Packers, well it’s time to clock out. Everyone have a good weekend.
    Upest pick: Redskins over the Eagles….

44. napgamer says: Oct 23, 2009 1:53 PM

@LarryBird18
    O-Line: Minnesota
    D-Line: Minnesota
    Running Back: Minnesota
    Receivers: Tie
    Quarterback: Minnesota
    Secondary: Sh*tsburg
    Linebackers: Very Slight edge to Sh*tsburg
    Explosive players who can hit a home run on any given play : Minny effin Sota
    ———————————————–
    You forgot one other edge for Minny
    Steriods Abuse: Minnesota

45. crex43 says: Oct 23, 2009 2:04 PM

Of course Hines Ward is one of the best wide receivers of his day.
    But I do find it ironic that two Steelers have issues with helmets. One doesn’t use a helmet when it is necessary, and the other uses one when it is inappropriate and dangerous.

46. VoxUcker says: Oct 23, 2009 2:04 PM

# chapnasty says: October 23, 2009 1:19 PM
    I know more than half these idiots who just worship their teams regarldess of truth.”
    Here’s a little truth for ya:
    Steelers = 2 Super Bowls in the last 4 years
    Cowboys – no playoff wins since 1996.
    LMAO

47. cowboys1 says: Oct 23, 2009 2:12 PM

haha you are right chapnasty, have a great weekend

48. Vox's Mommy says: Oct 23, 2009 2:21 PM

I do have to admit, going back and forth with some Vike’s fans this week some are rational and knowledgeable. The same can’t be said about Packers fans. As a Steeler fan I’m glad Favre is playing so well. Haters can talk all they want but Favre is shutting up all the Pack fans who suddenly hate him b/c he is a Viking.
    Hines Ward will be in the HOF. He’s not done yet, and won’t be done after this year. He has 841 receptions w/ over 10,000yds. Currently he has 74 TD’s. There is only roughly 8 or 9 players in NFL HISTORY who have more receiving TD’s than he does, and he CURRENTLY ranks roughly in the top 25 in career receiving yards and by the end of the year can easily be top 20, top 15 after next year. Sounds like a HOF’er to me.

49. footballrulz says: Oct 23, 2009 2:22 PM

Hey Pervy–take a look at this
    Nah, he’s not playing for revenge..

50. PervyHarvin says: Oct 23, 2009 2:23 PM

@Chap in the ass-NFC North rivalries are legendary. As loyal as any fans on this site idiot. Steeler fans are too nice to you and those stupid takes you keep making. Just wanted to see you take a beating, some of our fans are ruthless.

51. kravon says: Oct 23, 2009 2:42 PM

@ Pervyharvin –
    No reason to call someone an idiot because they have an opinion (based upon facts) other than your own.

52. JPeezy says: Oct 23, 2009 2:50 PM

@Chapnasty, it is better to let us all think you are a moron than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.
    Hines Ward made his living going over the middle and doing other things the diva WR’s simply wouldn’t do. The guy takes big hits and dishes them out. Maybe you aren’t man enough to like seeing a 200 lb WR play all out and take on 250+ lb LB’s and lay them out. Ward does it because he is a selfless team player that is willing to block to help the run game.
    As far as Ward’s spot in Canton, Peter King already said he’d vote him in first ballot.
    Ward has 841 catches for 10,379 yards and 74 TD’s. If he just plays out his current contract he’ll easily be a 1000+ catch, 13,000+ yard, 85+TD guy with at least 5 Pro Bowls under his belt, at least 2 SB wins, and a SB MVP. Those stats are better than almost every WR currently in the HOF. Plus Ward did it being a selfless player. Not a diva like TO, and did it primarily on run heavy teams. And if you want to look at playoff receiving stats, the only guy to ever play the game to do more in the playoffs as a WR was Jerry friggen Rice.
    Ward blows his peers (Harrison, Holt, Moss, TO) out of the water in the playoffs.
    Again, you are an idiot and a Steeler hater. The only cure for you is this public execution.

53. finsbooyah says: Oct 23, 2009 2:53 PM

Special thanks to everyone in my fantasy league for letting me pick up Big Ben in the 12th round!

54. BonnieD says: Oct 23, 2009 2:53 PM

He’s still around because he’s perfected the art of making a dirty hit look legal. He takes his competition out of the game, and sometimes the season, if they are beating him. He’s a jerk on the field as well.

55. Zé says: Oct 23, 2009 3:17 PM

[quote]# Mike Florio says: October 23, 2009 11:17 AM
    I love Heinz Ward because I love the Steelers.[/quote]
    wow that might be your first direct confession!

56. Chickenfoot says: Oct 23, 2009 3:25 PM

Damn pervy:
    I was just getting ready to balst that chapstick dude.
    I’m loving that all these Steeler fans think it’s going to be a cakewalk for them though.
    Same bullshit, diffrent team colors.
    i.e. favre due for a meltdown, carried off the field after the 6th sack….lol
    Then, they are calling out other people for posting hating drivel, meanwhile talking shit about Favre not throwing the ball 20 yards…..
    Good thing they have a major injury to one of their players, it’ll be a built in excuse IF they lose.
    What happened ? Yesterday there were some really good steeler fans on here, respectful etc,.
    I guess friday is the day that all the turds come out?

57. PervyHarvin says: Oct 23, 2009 4:43 PM

@ kravon-You right, will all have our right to opinions. Like you saying Favre can’t throw over 20 yards. Last week based on fact,we see he can throw at least 63yards. Some opinions like that and some of chapnuts are just plain stupid!!
    footballrulz – LOL!!! Come on,you one of the sensible Pack fans. Can you blame Any of Favre’s family or friends for wearing that?? I mean,Wisconsin burns his jerseys!! He gets bashed by Pack fans that can’t take the divorce! Sweet jersey.
    @ Chickenfoot- lol You know it! You lay the wood good to idiots and talk sense to those who come with good takes. I tend to play the same.
    @ Vox’s Mommy – LOL That bash on Packers fans was priceless!! They have very few that are sane and rational. That is why I took it to Chap,his takes on Ward were dumb,guys a stud.

58. kravon says: Oct 23, 2009 4:43 PM

Children, again lets look at facts instead of thumping our chests.
    Minnesota – 18th in total defense
    Pittsburgh – 3rd
    Minnesota – 24th in passing defense
    Pittsburgh – 12th
    Minnesota – 9th in rushing defense
    Pittsburgh – 2nd
    Minnesota – 13th in total offense
    Pittsburgh – 5th
    Minnesota – 27th in passing offense
    Pittsburgh – 2nd
    Minnesota – 9th in rushing offense
    Pittsburgh – 15th
    This is why you started as a 4 point dog, and in some sports books you are currently a 5 point dog.

59. EskinSux says: Oct 23, 2009 4:45 PM

Hey….Ummm……..Chickenfoot…….Fitting name by the way…..Seems you are full of yourself with the Vikings crap….Where were you last year when T-Jack was the QB?…..Not a Steelers fan at all, but they kinda have more lombardi’s than any team in existence, been on this site a long time, and if it wasn’t for a greg lewis prayer from Favre, and a missed FG, you’d be 4-2, talk shit on the packers or whatever, division rivals, but don’t talk shit against teams you have no accumen to judge against……..Know what i mean, dipshit……you fair weater idiot……..

60. moral-authority says: Oct 23, 2009 4:51 PM

Arguably the best football player in the NFL. I agree, the best all-around reciever in the game. The best blocker of all times. Hands down. That’s not even close. Defensive players tee off on recievers for a living. When they get the sh*t knocked out of themselves all of a sudden it’s dirty. A dirty WR? Is that possible? Just appreciate the attitude, fortitude, gratitude & the magnitutde of his accomplishment in 2009 at age 33! Not T.O., not Moss, not Terry Holt, not anybody. Not even Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson who are in their primes. Stop hatin’ for the sake of hatin’! Geez! It’s so tired!

61. Steelers4Life says: Oct 23, 2009 5:28 PM

Love Hines and he had some great things to say (so far) in his interview with Solomon Wilcots about his play.
    Ward: “I only know one way to play this game, I’m not out there to try and hurt anyone. People can say I’m dirty….football’s dirty itself, ya know. Some people say I like to hit guys when they’re not watching, WELL WATCH, IT’S FOOTBALL. When I go across the middle I don’t say you can’t hit me until I catch the ball. If I get hit hard, I get up smiling, if I hit someone else hard, I help them up smiling. So don’t knock me for enjoying the game, I’m not out there to end someones career.”
    Very well said Hines, and I agree 100%…and not just because I’m a Steelers fan. That’s just good, honest, hard-hitting football.

62. footballrulz says: Oct 23, 2009 5:40 PM

Pervy–Chickenfoot says he heard it was photoshopped. I figured it was probably some Vikes fan who had it made up & she saw him & brought him up to the suite.
    Can debate the Packers/Favre divorce all day. I prefer my explanation (that would be one smart Vikes fan to come up with that) but if Favre & Deana came up with it—kinda proves Favre’s contention he’s not playing for revenge is a bit of BS.
    Obviously he made a pretty smart decision–can’t beat 6-0–but if he really had that made he loses a few points for class in my book. That’s why I say if it’s not photoshopped–it’s a Vikes fan!! That’s my story & I’m stickin to it.
    Vikes/Pit gonna be a hell of a game Sunday. Guess I’ll be doin a lot of channel surfing.
    Oh well, time to go home. Til tomorrow. Good luck, but ya know who I’ll be pulling for.

63. PervyHarvin says: Oct 23, 2009 6:20 PM

@ kravon – Ok Dr. Seuss, while you are in the mood to play stat in the hat.
    Red zone defense(very important stat) –
    Minnesota-2nd Pittsburgh-24th
    Kick returns ( Important. Pitts kick return coverage shaky.Can you say Harvin?)-
    Minnesota-4th at 31.5 yds. Pitt. – 7th at 23.3yds.
    Scoring –
    Minnesota-2nd at 31.5 ppg Pitt.-7th at 23.3 ppg
    Big Ben is good,I’m not a douche like Chap to bash great players. He has big yards but sits at 10 tds. and 6 int. with a 104.5 rating. I’ll take Favre’s less yards with 12 tds. and 2 int. and 109.5 rating.
    To me this means we will have good starting field position,will be hard for you to score in the red zone and we will continue to score. Until I see some one shut down AD AND Favre in the same game,say we just keep on scoring. AD will teach your D gap integrity this week. One slip up and he’s gone. Bring that aggressive pass rush, Shiancoe and Chester Taylor will expose the mid field openings. Oh, can any of your CB’s outjump Rice? Watch out for that.
    Bold prediction: AD loves the grass,goes for 165. Think he can’t ? lol

64. Chickenfoot says: Oct 23, 2009 7:48 PM

kravon says:
    October 23, 2009 4:43 PM
    Children, again lets look at facts instead of thumping our chests.
    Minnesota – 18th in total defense
    Pittsburgh – 3rd
    Minnesota – 24th in passing defense
    Pittsburgh – 12th
    Minnesota – 9th in rushing defense
    Pittsburgh – 2nd
    Minnesota – 13th in total offense
    Pittsburgh – 5th
    Minnesota – 27th in passing offense
    Pittsburgh – 2nd
    Minnesota – 9th in rushing offense
    Pittsburgh – 15th
    ================================
    No moron, we are 4 point dogs because it’s AT Pittsburgh.
    You can take thos yardage stats and wipe you ass with them.
    Google Aikman’s effeincy ratings once, it takes into account way more than yardage, and gives a true sense of how good teams are.
    —————————– Next jagoff—–
    EskinSux says:
    October 23, 2009 4:45 PM
    ============================
    Chickenfoot is a fitting name because I’m full of Viking crap? What?!?! Makes no sense you imbecilic asshat!
    Where was I last year when T-Jack was QB?
    I was rooting for him and the Vikings like I have for the last 35 + years!! Kinda shoots your fairweather fan comment out of the water, huh?
    I get give a wet fart how long you have been on this site, what ddoes that have to do with anything?
    6 super bowl titles? Yep , great team over the years…what that has to do with 2009, only you know.
    2 plays away from being 4-2? yep, every team has a bit of luck now and then, happens every year. Favre kept us in both games and with Lewis’s help won that 49 er game.
    Regardless, they happened and they are 6-0, deal with it.
    You’re not a fan of the Steelers? Talk shit on your ‘own” teams thread, I’m more relevant to this thread, because the Vikes play the Steelers,
    know what I mean, dipshit?
    Go spout your freaking bullshit somewhere else.
    Keep coming with it jerkoff, I’ll embarass you right off this site.
    Do yourself a favor and just walk away.

65. kravon says: Oct 23, 2009 7:56 PM

Vikes now a 5.5 point underdog on a few sportsbooks.
    I know they just put in some new sod this week, but Heinz field could be disastrous on Sunday after Pitt and S. Florida rip it up tomorrow.
    Pervy – I demand you to apologize on behalf of all Vikings fans after the beat down you suffer Sunday. You are too blinded by the Vikings 6-0 start to be rational at this point.

66. steelerschick86 says: Oct 23, 2009 8:56 PM

I call him “the ever dependable Hines Ward” he catches everything! He’s not afraid to take a hit in the middle or deliver a hit. A constant smile and a true love for the game of football. Hines is nothing but class and I couldn’t be happier that at 33 years old he is still delivering on the field. This is one guy who will make his way to Canton and deserves it!

67. redmik says: Oct 23, 2009 9:09 PM

PervyHarvin where did you get your rankings from?
    Minnesota averages 25.9 yards a return and give up 21.3 yards a return
    Pittsburgh on the other hand has shaky coverage giving up 22.9 yards a return and average 25.1 yards.
    Those are pretty even numbers, which I have gotten from ESPN.com and USAtoday.com.
    To Hines Ward. Ward is by far the most complete reciever in the league today and possibly ever. To say Ward is dirty is a load of crap. Watch most of his big hits, they all come around the play not 20 yards down the field. Yea the defenders may not see it coming, but does Hines see the hit coming across the middle, the answer is NO! This is football need I remind you all. We’re not golfing out there, football is physical and tough and that is the way Hines plays it and I only wish everyone played that way. Go watch some clips from the 70s that is the way football is meant to be played (maybe not to the extreme of some of the Raiders).
    Hines keep doing what you are doing, all Steelers fans love you and what you do.

68. mike s says: Oct 23, 2009 9:49 PM

Hines is a guy anybody would want on their team. There are a few active receivers with better career stats than him (Owens, Moss) but how many Super Bowl MVP’s do they have?
    That’s my favorite Hines Ward clip, from 2006 I think. 75 yard TD pass. He caught the ball around the Falcons 45 yard line and lost a shoe. Then, he runs the rest of the way for the TD. The guy who’s giving chase is Deangelo Hall, fastest man in the NFL.
    Hines and one shoe vs. the fastest man in the NFL. Touchdown.
    As for the upcoming Vikings game, its too bad that Aaron Smith is on the IR. He’s a monster, and I’m glad I have to go against Adrian Peterson in my fantasy league next week and not this week. Its hard to argue with a 6-0 quarterback, too. And that Vikings D-Line does register a lot of sacks, and Ben takes a lot of sacks. I’m not sold on the Steelers run game, or their second half defense for that matter anyway.
    But I haven’t seen the Vikings, and my hunch is that the Steelers will decide not to concede defeat immediately and actually play the game. I don’t think James Harrison is going to miss the chance to sack a legend, either.
    This is going to be a really fun one.

69. PervyHarvin says: Oct 23, 2009 10:07 PM

@ redmik -Checked out ESPN and I stand corrected. Nice job. Percy still can be a pain to you.
    @kravon-Saying Favre can’t throw and you are rational?? You can take your anti Viking propaganda confession and shove it you know where son. I am a proud Viking fan and will make no apologies to you or any of your fellow Steeler fans. I am steadfast in my belief that we will win. If we don’t, than good for you and the Steelers. Would be glad to congratulate the Steelers and the fans. You demanding an apology shows arrogance beyond football itself,feel free to kiss my ass.
    @ Chickenfoot -Bravo fellow Viking brother,bravo!

70. kravon says: Oct 24, 2009 8:59 AM

When did I say I was a Steelers fan?
    Anyway, I look forward to your apology.

71. PervyHarvin says: Oct 24, 2009 11:46 AM

I wouldn’t hold your breath waiting for that to happen. I owe you nothing. Now get out of the basement and go help Mom,earn that living quarters.

72. kravon says: Oct 25, 2009 8:15 PM

Pervyharvin – thinking about Ryan Clark.