No practice for Bucs on Saturday

A rainy day in London may lead to a long Sunday for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

The Bucs were supposed to practice at Wembley Stadium on Saturday afternoon, but the session has been canceled due to inclement weather. Rick Stroud of the St. Petersburg Times believes the team will have a walkthrough at their hotel, but the Bucs are going to be heading into this week’s game with limited preparation.

The team only practiced Wednesday and Thursday of this week and travelled during the day on Friday. The Patriots, on the other hand, practiced three days at home and then had a workout shortly after arriving on an overnight flight on Thursday night. Buccaneers center Jeff Faine admitted that the disparity leaves the Bucs at a disadvantage.

“I definitely think it’s an advantage for them,” said Faine. “It’s unfortunate that’s the way it worked out, but any time you’re
able to prepare an extra day that’s something we can’t catch up on. We
just have to hope we can catch up mentally and be ready on Sunday.”

The talent gap between the two teams already made a Buccaneers victory unlikely. Throwing in jet lag and minimal time on the practice field makes you wonder if we could be in store for a repeat of last week’s 59-point Patriot explosion.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
24 Responses to “No practice for Bucs on Saturday”
  1. SmackMyVickUp says: Oct 24, 2009 10:00 AM

They can watch film of the Titans thrashing, hopefully find someway to keep it closer.
    The Bucs have been at a disadvantage since Morris took over, should be used to it by now.

2. WTE says: Oct 24, 2009 10:03 AM

Oh, don’t worry. The Bucs will be ready.
    I heard Bill Belichick say they are an explosive team with great running backs, a mobile QB, strong special teams and terrific CB’s.
    As a Patriots fan, I’m scared.

3. Patsfan1776 says: Oct 24, 2009 10:05 AM

I was onboard with the whole going to the UK thing until the football teams aren’t allowed to practice on the fields in bad weather. Bad weather in the UK? Didn’t see that coming? WTF??? And the Bucs are technically the home team and they can’t practice on the field. Nice going NFL owners.

4. NelsonLRodriguez says: Oct 24, 2009 10:06 AM

We’re talking about practice, man. I mean, how silly is that? We’re talking about practice. I know I’m supposed to be there. I know I’m supposed to lead by example . . . I know it’s important . . . I honestly do. But we’re talking about practice, man. What are we talking about? Practice?

5. penguininbondage says: Oct 24, 2009 10:19 AM

Like one more practice will help this team.

6. Bill.Polian says: Oct 24, 2009 10:23 AM

Belichick is now controlling the weather so the Bucs can’t practice. It is disgusting that the league lets him cheat like this without punishing him.

7. bbq says: Oct 24, 2009 10:44 AM

Tom Brady and Randy Moss better go crazy on Sunday for the sake of my fantasy team.

8. bucco bruce says: Oct 24, 2009 10:44 AM

Practice, no practice- it won’t matter. Junior Morris gets lose number 7 and a 41-6 beatdown.

9. PervyHarvin says: Oct 24, 2009 10:48 AM

That right there is the difference between a contender and a pretender. What a joke the Bucs organization is.

10. oldschool says: Oct 24, 2009 11:15 AM

Bobby Knight once said if rape is inevitable lay back and enjoy it…………

11. whywerule says: Oct 24, 2009 11:29 AM

As long as it is not snowing at Wembley, which is obviously unlikely, then I think the Bucs will be competitive for a change. What do they have to lose? They can throw all sorts of bizarre defensive alignments and blitzes at the Pats; no one expects them to win so why not try seemingly ridiculous stuff and hope they get lucky? OTOH, if the weather gets suddenly bizarre, and it starts snowing before kickoff, then the Bucs should do what the Titans did last Sunday and not show up.

12. Okey says: Oct 24, 2009 11:30 AM

IT DOESN’T TAKE PARACTICE TO LOSE!
    All the practice time in the world couldn’t help this team get a win. A team without a Head coach is like a car with no Steering wheel. Out of control with NO direction at all. That is the Bucs right now, Morris is HC by title ONLY because he ISN’T a coach of any kind!

13. blackglass says: Oct 24, 2009 11:35 AM

Um, why was Gruden let go again? I am sure he could have coached this team to 0-6, and he’s getting paid anyways…I don’t get it.
    And yeah, one practice isn’t going to make a difference.

14. Ken1313 says: Oct 24, 2009 11:54 AM

# Bill.Polian says: October 24, 2009 10:23 AM
    —————————————————
    LOL Thanks for making my day !!

15. charbel says: Oct 24, 2009 12:02 PM

I’m a Bucs fan and I must admit, even if they had 10 practices more than the Pats, they still won’t beat them.
    I’ll be watching with my hand covering my face.
    GO BUCS :)

16. Boudin says: Oct 24, 2009 12:05 PM

a lousy jetlagged team that isn’t bright enough to get to the venue early and hasn’t practiced versus an AFC title contender.
    it’s GREAT for the NFL.

17. chris says: Oct 24, 2009 12:25 PM

Wembley has a retractable roof, so what does the weather have anything to do with it?

18. Deb says: Oct 24, 2009 12:30 PM

Much as I believe in any given Sunday, none of us can pretend we expect the Bucs to get their first win against the Pats, no matter how many practices they have.
    But …
    What if this idiotic London match had been scheduled between the Pats and Colts and the Colts were suffering jet lag and denied their last practice? Colts fans, Pats haters, and anyone committed to start Peyton in their fantasy league would be furious.
    This publicity stunt has given one team an unfair advantage over another. Fortunately, this time it won’t affect the overall standings. Next time it might. Next time it might be my team (or yours) getting screwed. Then it won’t be so funny.

19. BernardPollardIsAnAss says: Oct 24, 2009 12:40 PM

Oh man, I really hope so. The Patriots need to go into the bye hot, because when they come out they are going to have thier hands full. Hoping for a big day from Law Firm too. God knows Maroney can’t possibly put together back-to-back good games.

20. Ranoversquarells says: Oct 24, 2009 1:29 PM

Oh no!!!!! How will Josh Johnson practice throwing to linebackers and defensive backs now?!?!?!

21. Pier588 says: Oct 24, 2009 3:06 PM

Maybe they can borrow one of the ManU players to be their kicker?

22. Backinthesaddle says: Oct 24, 2009 3:31 PM

None of that crap matters.
    The Bucs really suck and the Pats are really good.
    Bucs lose…..rain, snow, sun, travel, not travel doesn’t matter. Bucs lose.

23. Ocelot138 says: Oct 24, 2009 6:08 PM

It’s easy to practice against the Patriots.
    Designate a player as Brady. If one of your defenders gets within 10 yards of him, throw a penalty flag.
    Repeat until the team playing the Pats has scored another touchdown.
    But seriously, was that extra day of practice going to level the playing field against these two teams? A whole year of extra practice wasn’t gonna lead to a Bucs W.

24. Ocelot138 says: Oct 24, 2009 6:09 PM

NelsonLRodriguez says:
    October 24, 2009 10:06 AM
    ————————-
    They’re sittin’ there, The Tampa Bay Bucanneers, franchise team… and you’re gonna talk practice? Not a game, not a game, not a game. Practice? How the Bucs gonna make their teammates better by practice?