Leon Washington's insured leg goes to injured reserve

Much of the focus surrounding Leon Washington’s grisly injury Sunday centered on the running back’s inability to reach a contract extension last offseason.

Washington didn’t get the security of a long-term deal, but he did get some insurance before the season.  Literally.  The Newark Star-Ledger reports that Washington took out a Lloyds of London insurance policy before the 2009 campaign to protect himself against injury.

The Pro Bowler underwent surgery Sunday and was placed on injured reserve by the Jets Monday.  Jets tackle Damien Woody said he’d never seen anything like the injury.

”As soon as I saw it, I knew it was over,” Woody said. ”[Washington's] foot was in the ground
and Tommy Kelly hit it. I saw blood squirting out.
That’s emergency surgery right there.”

Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum, who reportedly offered Washington a $5 million-per-year contract in August, says Washington will remain a Jet.

”I expect him to be here a long, long time,” Tannenbaum said.  “We’re going to give Leon
all the support he needs from an organizational standpoint to make sure
he can return to be the player he has always been. He has our
unconditional support.”

The injury could potentially affect Thomas Jones’ status with the team.  Conventional wisdom expected 2009 to be Jones’ last with the Jets.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
8 Responses to “Leon Washington's insured leg goes to injured reserve”
  1. Watson11101 says: Oct 26, 2009 4:57 PM

Hope he heals well, It was pretty bad break.!!

2. SATAN567 says: Oct 26, 2009 5:19 PM

Gregg, can you dig up some pictures of the injury on the field? This sounds greusome, and we want to see it.

3. Resolution says: Oct 26, 2009 5:27 PM

Wow… Nasty Compound fracture, hate to see that happen to anyone. Good recovery Leon, I hope it works out for ya.

4. Burritto says: Oct 26, 2009 5:32 PM

I feel so badly for Leon Washington. I’m a Saints fan, but I still love watching exciting players on any team and Leon is one of my favorites.
    I hope this makes some of the people who complain about holdouts and greed among NFL players think twice. Leon Washington is probably not a poor man, but this is nearly a worst-case scenario for him. It’s also stale for the NFL and anyone who is a fan of it.
    And kudos to Leon Washington, his agent, or whomever advised him to take out the policy with Lloyd’s. I’ve seen some Lloyd’s policies before and this is no $29/month AARP life insurance. It’s a big investment to take out a policy with them.

5. hayward giablommi says: Oct 26, 2009 5:33 PM

Jesters hate aside, best of luck to Leon with his recovery.
    And smart move taking out the insurance policy, considering Mike Tannenbaum is a confirmed liar and backstabber, especially so when it comes to those verbal agreements.
    Then again, what good is ”I expect him to be here a long, long time” when Tannenbaum is collecting unemployment come January.

6. AutumnWind999 says: Oct 26, 2009 7:07 PM

I’m a Raider fan and was watching that live and that was a really nasty injury. Reminded me of the Theismann injury or one that happened to former Raider running back Napoleon McCallum.
    Felt bad for Washington. I know he’s a classy guy and a great player. No one on the Jets scared me more going into that game.
    Good luck with the recovery. You’re a good man Leon.

7. Rev. Dr. HollywoodWags says: Oct 26, 2009 7:22 PM

“We’re going to give Leon all the support he needs from an organizational standpoint to make sure he can return to be the player he has always been. He has our unconditional support.”
    Oh sure. The NFL is all about caring and helping and being kind to the players that get demolished in it’s services.
    Sure. What an asshole.

8. Guido says: Oct 26, 2009 7:59 PM

Leon we are going to miss you man come on home and watch the Gators play Bulldogs. Get out of the lime light and enjoy some time with your family. This is hard for a Gator fan to say but I enjoyed watching you when you played for Florida State.