Sanchez apologizes for his sideline hot dog

I had to pause the Week Seven Morning Aftermath, a game-by-game look at every Sunday contest, to comment on the news that Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez was eating a hot dog on the sideline during Sunday’s 38-0 win over the Raiders.

The irony is, well, delicious.  The move came a day after former Dolphins quarterback Bob Griese apologized for saying during an ESPN college football game that NASCAR driver Juan Pablo Montoya “You Killed My Father, Prepare To Die” (yeah, I borrowed that from a commenter) was out eating a taco.

Montoya is from Colombia; the taco is Mexican.  Sanchez is Mexican, and the hot dog is the uniquely American product of capitalism at its finest.

Oscar:  “Let’s throw all the leftover pig parts in a big blender and mash it up until it looks the same.  And then, if it doesn’t kill us when we eat it, we can sell it.”

Mayer:  “Hot dog, that’s a damn good idea.”

Oscar:  “And that’s a damn good name for it.”

So it would all tie together neatly if Griese shows up for his next ESPN assignment with a Thermos full of a hot liquid brewed from Juan Valdez’s finest beans.

Just as Griese apologized for the taco remark, Sanchez said he’s sorry for chomping on a wiener.

I want to apologize for that,” Sanchez said.  “I wasn’t feeling very
good and didn’t eat much before the game, so I was feeling a little
queasy.  Toward the end of the game, I probably should have eaten one of
those bars or something, but someone offered [a hot dog], so I grabbed
it and tried to be discreet about it, but obviously not discreet
enough.  So I shouldn’t have done that, and it won’t happen again.”

It remains to be seen where Sanchez got the hot dog.  Then again, maybe coach Rex Ryan keeps a stash of them nearby at all times.

It also remains to be seen whether Sanchez is disciplined for the indiscretion.  We vaguely recall a player being fined for eating a hot dog during a preseason game.  Since this game counted (then again, maybe Sanchez thought it was a scrimmage), there’s even more reason for the team to take action against Sanchez.

Of course, he’ll make it all back and then some when Oscar and Mayer introduce their newest product.

The “Sanchize,” a hot dog that tastes great for the first three bites and then falls apart in the bun.

Permalink 53 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
53 Responses to “Sanchez apologizes for his sideline hot dog”
  1. chapnasty says: Oct 26, 2009 9:34 AM

Um who cares? The dude wasnt feeling good so he ate a hot dog. I’m sure the image of him puking on the sidelines wouldnt have been better. Maybe they can fine James Harrison for his attempt to snap Brett Favre from the knee down.

2. HughJassPhD says: Oct 26, 2009 9:35 AM

Must’ve been a turkey frank….

3. Krow says: Oct 26, 2009 9:38 AM

As McNabb’s career winds down there’s going to be an opening for ‘clown QB’. I think Sanchez has just served notice to the rest of the aspiring young signal callers that he’s prepared to do whatever it takes to be the next high profile fool at that important position.

4. TheTitanofNewYork says: Oct 26, 2009 9:41 AM

He said he was going to be sick, he was also pulled from the game…big deal. if it wasnt for CBS having nothing else to talk about in the blow out, no one would have known.
    Btw, your so smart, rex ryan is fat…grow up and do a better job.

5. borg says: Oct 26, 2009 9:43 AM

Does Goodell have rules about what can be eaten on the sidelines? Why is “Dirty” apologizing? Is it disrespectful to eat a brat on the bench also? Are there rules for toilet paper in the locker room? Who is the “Food” enforcer? Can replays be used to find infractions or does the call on the field stand? N>>>F>>>L……NO Franks League

6. CREEP says: Oct 26, 2009 9:48 AM

Sanchez should say he’s sorry to JaMarcus for tempting him with one of his various favorite snacks…..

7. leatherneck says: Oct 26, 2009 9:48 AM

Sanchez stepped up. I was bashing him here on PFT, comparing him unfavorably to Jamarcus Russell.
    Head to head, Sanchez whipped Russell.
    His ability to bounce back after some tough games makes me think Sanchez is the real deal. The Jets have a good quarterback.

8. Football Fan says: Oct 26, 2009 9:49 AM

“Montoya is from Colombia; the taco is Mexican. Sanchez is Mexican, and the hot dog is the uniquely American product of capitalism at its finest.”
    Well that means the hot dog won’t be around much longer with the way some people in Washington are trying to do away with capitalism.

9. sim448 says: Oct 26, 2009 9:50 AM

rex ryan is going to fine and suspend him for hot giving big rex at least a bite, or at the least he should have let him know who his hot dog source was.

10. overkil2 says: Oct 26, 2009 9:55 AM

Wtf, why are people giving him shit about that. I was understand if it was Jamarcus Russell and his fat ass was eating a hotdog while being down 30 points.
    The media needs to just STFU.

11. Resolution says: Oct 26, 2009 9:57 AM

Fined? Seriously? Why does the NFL (or anyone) care what players eat on the sideline? He obviously was not “placing” a product or selling anything. A person can freaking EAT if they want to. So if a person doesn’t feel well earlier, they are not allowed to eat for a 4 hour span during a game? Sounds wrong to me.
    If my boss told me I was not allowed to eat during work, I’d tell him off. Can’t eat… what a joke that is.

12. Pudge Heffelfinger says: Oct 26, 2009 9:57 AM

Is there a rule that says players can’t eat DURING a game? There can’t possibly be.
    Is the New York media that obsessed?

13. Warpstone says: Oct 26, 2009 10:01 AM

Talk about putting Jamarcus Russell in his place: “Hey fatboy, watch me eat during a game and still make completions.”
    Phillip Rivers could learn a few things from Sanchez.

14. Patsfanin Philly says: Oct 26, 2009 10:02 AM

He wasn’t feeling good so he decided to eat a hot dog??? Usually it’s the other way around and you get that queasy feeling AFTER eating the mystery meat.

15. magsdad1 says: Oct 26, 2009 10:04 AM

The raiders are so bad, he should have taken it out to the field, taken a snap and continued eating it. It would have made no difference.
    JR should never take another snap for Oakland. Eat the loss. Go forward.

16. XXINYG says: Oct 26, 2009 10:07 AM

“It remains to be seen where Sanchez got the hot dog.”
    Wow.
    To imply that there could be more to this “story” must have people at NBC ready to puke. Leave no stone unturned, right Florio?
    Simply a pathetic attempt at journalism.

17. giantstags7 says: Oct 26, 2009 10:09 AM

“It remains to be seen where Sanchez got the hot dog. Then again, maybe coach Rex Ryan keeps a stash of them nearby at all times.”
    lololol spot on florio, spot on.

18. slutnuts says: Oct 26, 2009 10:10 AM

look for the hot dog eating contest between carson palmer and sanchez during their week 17 game. based on his ads palmer can take down the footlongs, so sanchez better start practising.

19. alewatcher says: Oct 26, 2009 10:12 AM

I think the real issue here is that the hotdog wasn’t NFL branded, and hence not league approved.

20. Branephood says: Oct 26, 2009 10:13 AM

WTF? Why can’t you eat a hot dog on the sideline? The bigger story is why is Dirty apologizing for it? I’d tell the NFL to kiss my chili, cheese, and extra onions a**.

21. dhoffman19 says: Oct 26, 2009 10:13 AM

Ezra Johnson of the Packers once got in trouble for eating a hot dog on the sideline. Not sure if he was fined or not.

22. TheDPR says: Oct 26, 2009 10:17 AM

Is there an NFL rule against players eating during a game? If so, that has to be the most idiotic thing I’ve heard of the league doing in a long time, and they do idiotic things weekly.
    It should be a team by team decision, and if they think a guy needs something to eat he should be allowed to eat.

23. Brewster says: Oct 26, 2009 10:17 AM

You’re really on today Florio. That may be the funniest line you come up with all week.
    “Oscar: “Let’s throw all the leftover pig parts in a big blender and mash it up until it looks the same. And then, if it doesn’t kill us when we eat it, we can sell it.”

24. straverse says: Oct 26, 2009 10:22 AM

Who eats a hot dog when they’re not feeling well?

25. JT11 says: Oct 26, 2009 10:23 AM

“I wasn’t feeling very good and didn’t eat much before the game, so I was feeling a little queasy.
    You’ll never see Jamarcus Russell make a rookie mistake like that. He has never missed a meal.

26. SteelTown_6 says: Oct 26, 2009 10:23 AM

How is this even an issue?
    The guy eats a hot dog on the sideline.
    So what??
    Are you gonna write an article about it if he drinks a Coke?

27. mattitude says: Oct 26, 2009 10:27 AM

Resolution says:
    October 26, 2009 9:57 AM
    ————————————————-
    Well, if your work shift consisted of 3 hours of manual labor, where you are permitted plenty of time to eat before and after the game, and you demanded the right to eat on the job, your boss (read: the assistant manager at Dunkin Donuts) would probably just fire you anyway.

28. turkeyfunk says: Oct 26, 2009 10:38 AM

oye florio:
    a quick civics lesson.
    mark sanchez was born in long beach, CA, making him a US citizen. his grandparents were born in mexico (just like tony romo), so his grandparents were/are mexican. sanchez it what some mexicans would call a “pocho,” a person with mexican roots, living in gringolandia…
    and FYI, hot dogs are hugely popular in mexico and are sold in hot dog carts all over the place late-night…

29. adaml says: Oct 26, 2009 10:38 AM

Please tell me somebody, anybody remembers Rick Mirer eating a hot dog on the sideline of a game (think it was a Sunday night game). That guy was a clown anyway.

30. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Oct 26, 2009 10:38 AM

Eric Mangini would have fined him 2 grand for the hot dog and another 1500 hundred for the bun.

31. Quagmire says: Oct 26, 2009 10:38 AM

“I probably should have eaten one of those bars or something”
    So you can eat bars, but not hotdogs?
    WTF

32. ignoringthehaters says: Oct 26, 2009 10:39 AM

If Darwin’s theory applied to humans none of you chuckleheads would be here. Goodness me

33. Fear Da Tiger says: Oct 26, 2009 10:46 AM

Cedric Benson and Chad Ochocinco were caught eating nachos on the sidelines during a preseason game and I don’t recall them ever getting fined or “in trouble” with the NFL…

34. SmackMyVickUp says: Oct 26, 2009 10:50 AM

Real story would have been if he had a beer with it.
    Imagine they have nutrition bars or protein bars for players to munch on, like he mentioned.
    Hasn’t Ocho Cinco done something with popcorn after a touchdown?

35. Cubano says: Oct 26, 2009 10:57 AM

Nice Zing Florio, lol

36. SmackMyVickUp says: Oct 26, 2009 11:05 AM

Owens popcorn celebration.
    On November 30, 2007, Owens celebrated a touchdown on Thursday Night Football against the Green Bay Packers by jumping on the wall behind the endzone, grabbing a fans popcorn, and dumping it into his helmet. “Get your popcorn ready.”
    No mention of a fine for it, closest thing I can remember.

37. Jerry says: Oct 26, 2009 11:10 AM

Jerry Rice once ate a hot dog on the sideline.
    But he was Jerry Rice.

38. charliewade says: Oct 26, 2009 11:29 AM

Adaml, yes I remember Mirer doing that. It was at Candlestick against the 49ers in an exhibition game. He and a couple of teammates were laughing and having a good ol’ time.
    His career sure turned out great.
    Eating a hot dog didn’t doom that career, of course. But I think it shows how seriously he was talking it all. You can tell a lot about someone’s really feelings when they don’t think anyone is looking.

39. footballnut says: Oct 26, 2009 11:35 AM

What is really important is where did he get the dog from…was it from wingnut dressed as a vendor?
    If so, expect Sanchez to be out for the next 2-4 weeks.

40. RogerSucks says: Oct 26, 2009 11:51 AM

If he wants a hot dog let him have a hot dog. It is a hand food that is a relativly clean food that doesn’t get too messy with mustard or ketchup or maybe some onions. But if it was a chilli dog then that could be messy and possibly might get his uniform dirty. I would draw the line at chili dogs.
    This can’t be a first time occurance either, “The Fridge” probably ate many hot dogs during games.
    Plus it’s the Raiders, who wouldn’t want to sit back with some refreshments and enjoy the circus?

41. hotchick says: Oct 26, 2009 11:51 AM

Insane that in this world we have to apologize for doing nothing wrong.
    Maybe if he ordered a pizza and had it delivered and called time out to borrow money from Russell to tip the delivery boy. Then MAYBE…

42. BigOly74 says: Oct 26, 2009 11:52 AM

Ezra Johnson- Green Bay Packers, 1980
    Pre-season 1980 vs. Denver
    There is a picture somewhere of him eating it. He was fined $1000 for the scarfing down the dog. Also, the D-Line coach thought the fine was too light and quit.

43. Pudge Heffelfinger says: Oct 26, 2009 12:04 PM

I read that Hines Ward once ate a REAL DOG on the sidelines during a game.
    “And to think in some countries these dogs are eaten…”

44. Pier588 says: Oct 26, 2009 12:17 PM

Marky’s Dog was courtesy of “Tubby” Russell who sent it over from the Ch-oakland side of the field after he was yanked. The concession stand delivered his usual post-game 10 pack of Dogs early enough for “Tubby” to treat his pal from SoCal to his own side-line Dog.

45. mr_snrub says: Oct 26, 2009 12:36 PM

Leftover pig parts if we’re lucky.
    The curse of Rick Mirer is alive and well. He ate a hot dog during a preseason game of his sophomore season and we know how that turned out for him.

46. prophet of the light says: Oct 26, 2009 12:41 PM

I always knew Sanchez was a fan of hot dogs. How could you not be in NY.

47. jdusaf says: Oct 26, 2009 1:00 PM

Hot DogGate, easily the silliest “controversy” of the season.

48. texasPHINSfan says: Oct 26, 2009 1:20 PM

why does it matter that he ate a hot dog? i don’t understand why this would even be something to be upset about.

49. Jmills says: Oct 26, 2009 2:05 PM

Did I miss something? Since when did it become against NFL rules to eat a fricken hot dog…… it’s not like it was a steroid hot dog, why is this even news? He ate a hot dog, something that 1000s of people are doing at all hours of the day every day of the year…. get over it.

50. Jmills says: Oct 26, 2009 2:06 PM

PS, I apologize for brushing my teeth this morning, and shampooing my hair, I am terribly sorry for that, I know I am going to get yelled at for that

51. samlv4 says: Oct 26, 2009 2:24 PM

While I think this is silly …. food for thought…..
    Let’s take some of the QB’s from the other blow out games yesterday. P Manning, C. Palmer, T. Brady … What would the fall out (media reaction, fan reaction) have been?

52. Deb says: Oct 26, 2009 2:42 PM

Why on earth can’t the players eat anything on the sidelines?

53. stanjam says: Oct 26, 2009 5:04 PM

Why should he have to apologize for eating a hot dog on the sidelines? He was queasy and got something to eat! If the NFL fines him they are nuts. I am surprised his coach isn’t constantly eating on the sidelines. He must be starved after the game, or maybe he stuffs himself at half time.
    If the man wants to eat, let him eat, unless it is somehow hurting his performance, in which case let him eat more. I am sure being fed is better than puking, just ask McNabb.