Welcome to Philly, Will Witherspoon

The only deal made on the last day of the 2009 trading period was a good one.

For the Eagles.
They acquired veteran linebacker Will Witherspoon from the Rams for receiver Brandon Gibson, who arrived via the sixth round in 2009, and a fifth-round pick in 2010.
During the first quarter, Witherspoon intercepted a pass and returned it for a touchdown.  Then, to start the second quarter, he chopped from behind at the arm of Redskins quarterback Jason Campbell, forcing a fumble that was recovered by the Eagles.
Philly leads, 14-0.
Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
28 Responses to “Welcome to Philly, Will Witherspoon”
  1. voxveritasonmyspace says: Oct 26, 2009 9:41 PM

Desperate move, like Keith Brooking….right?

2. joe says: Oct 26, 2009 9:56 PM

So should his nickname be Big Spoon or Little Spoon?

3. WhySoSerious says: Oct 26, 2009 10:00 PM

** 13-9

4. Route36West says: Oct 26, 2009 10:11 PM

voxveritasonmyspace says:
    October 26, 2009 9:41 PM
    Desperate move, like Keith Brooking….right?
    ________________________________
    Wrong
    Signing Trotter was desperate Witherspoon was smart. Go check out his stats for 2 and 3 years ago 140 tackles in each year and was also the Rams Mvp. The last 2 years he played only a few games but still had the talent. If he was on any other team he would have been a well known guy. I thought he was gonna be a big name 2 years ago but then he got injured and his team got terriblier(is that a word). I think everyone will be suprised how good a season he is gonna have now that hes on a winning team.

5. VoxVeritas says: Oct 26, 2009 10:18 PM

Ho hum, the Eagirls look like world beaters against another tomato can in disarray. When will they prove that they belong in the same stadium as the good teams? 48-22? Or at least the Raiders? 13-9?

6. leatherneck says: Oct 26, 2009 10:23 PM

How did the Rams trade that guy? Honestly, that is unfathomable.
    Dude is a stud.

7. Outsyder says: Oct 26, 2009 10:29 PM

I seem to remember a commenter here said he was pretty much done for his career.

8. WildBirdOffense says: Oct 26, 2009 10:32 PM

I love how Cowboy fans like to talk ish about the Eagles having a hiccup and losing to the Raiders when they were the last team that lost to the St. Louis Rams, Hilarious! Cowboy fans….you guys lost to the RAMS! Their last win was against DALLAS! How does that make you feel?

9. JayPhilly says: Oct 26, 2009 10:37 PM

It’s like Spags was saying “Thank You.” to Reid

10. Eric says: Oct 26, 2009 10:39 PM

Loved him in Carolina. Glad to see him doing well again.

11. Route36West says: Oct 26, 2009 10:44 PM

Vox what are you a cowboys , giants, or redskins fan. Either way if I was you I would keep my mouth shut. Cowboys looked terrible in every game they played except last week and have 2 losses. The Giants got destroyed by the Saints with there starting QB and just loss there 2nd straight week against the Cardinals who havent beat anyone. And the redskins are bums.

12. DJ says: Oct 26, 2009 10:54 PM

** 44-6

13. AngryJ says: Oct 26, 2009 10:58 PM

Witherspoon’s a strong player – trust. He was great in Charlotte, great for the Rams, he was a valuable pickup for the Eagles. def underrated.
    Panthers shoulda kept him and let Morgan go, but hindsight’s 20/20.

14. VoxVagina says: Oct 26, 2009 11:36 PM

Vox, you can’t really much when your team took the Chiefs to overtime and barely pulled out a close one. We’ll see in 2 weeks how the Cowgirls and Eagles match up

15. SmackMyVickUp says: Oct 26, 2009 11:52 PM

Redskins had more total yards than the Eagurls.
    Wait till he plays a real NFL offense next week to judge him.

16. metalhead0043 says: Oct 27, 2009 12:14 AM

17. Pantherfan10 says: Oct 27, 2009 2:47 AM

Coming from a guy who watched Witherspoon do some great things in his time here. I will again say the Eagirls made a great move bringing in Witherspoon. The biggest glaring weakness on the Eagles D was at LB. And mannnnn did you guys get a steal for Witherspoon. I said eariler it was one of the better moves made and will say it again. Good Job Eagles picking up a quality guy and quality player. Witherspoon is a beast and I wish him nothing but luck.
    Anyone who thinks this is a bad move or the guy isnt a stud obviously hasn’t followed his career at all…
    Personally I wouldn’t of minded seeing Panthers bring him in just for the sheer fact of seeing Davis-Beason-Witherspoon on the field at the same time.

18. Bwa Ha Ha says: Oct 27, 2009 7:20 AM

Witherspoon looked good. Gotta be encouraged with that.
    Except for the trickery stuff, the Eagles offense looked bad. Need to see some method of execution here, some kind of plan that looks like they can get three or four first downs in a row on every possession. Until they get there, they can win, but no game is a slam dunk

19. Opie says: Oct 27, 2009 9:22 AM

Joe: after last night’s game, we should refer to him as Mr. Big Spoon. Good to have another “Spoon” in Philly.
    Got a couple things to work on, but the Eagles look like they’re putting it together.
    Florio, I guess it really wasn’t a desperate move by the Eagles’ front office after all. I’d say shrewd.

20. VoxVeritas says: Oct 27, 2009 10:18 AM

“Hilarious! Cowboy fans….you guys lost to the RAMS! Their last win was against DALLAS! How does that make you feel?”
    Not as bad as losing to the Raiders would make me feel. How does it make you feel that the Eagirls have won as many Super Bowls as the Lions (and one fewer than the Rams)?

21. VoxVeritas says: Oct 27, 2009 10:20 AM

“Vox what are you a cowboys , giants, or redskins fan. Either way if I was you I would keep my mouth shut.”
    You’re not me, so wake the F up and stop dreaming.
    13-9.

22. VoxVeritas says: Oct 27, 2009 10:21 AM

“Vox, you can’t really much when your team took the Chiefs to overtime and barely pulled out a close one.”
    Losing to the freaking Raiders hasn’t stopped you guys.
    13-9.

23. VoxVeritas says: Oct 27, 2009 10:22 AM

“Vox is just a troll who is good at getting under peoples’ skin. I don’t know why so many people here can’t realize that, and just ignore what he says.”
    Because so many people are easily-controlled idiots. I’ve even told them that if they ignore me I’ll go away. I’m saying it again. They can’t help it.

24. VoxVeritas says: Oct 27, 2009 10:23 AM

“Coming from a guy who watched Witherspoon do some great things in his time here.”
    Nobody in the entire short history of the Panthers has done anything great.

25. VoxVeritas says: Oct 27, 2009 10:25 AM

I’d say that the Eagirls had to pull out the stops and resort to gadget plays to beat the Redskins. The clock is about to strike midnight, Cinderella.

26. mattitude says: Oct 27, 2009 12:04 PM

@Vox Veritas
    44-6

27. Akshun says: Oct 27, 2009 2:31 PM

Vox the Eagirls thing is the dumbest insult ever but i wouldnt expect much from a dumb ass cowboys fan.. you just stole how we call you guys CowGirls which everyones been doing for years.. come up with something new instead of being on the Eagles Nuts all the time..
    and you’re probably not even from Dallas and let me guess you also roots for the Yankees, Celtics(or Lakers) and Red Wings too

28. Ocelot138 says: Oct 27, 2009 4:16 PM

Cowboys fans have to talk about 13-9 because the Cowboys haven’t dealt the Eagles an embarrassing defeat in years. 13-9 sucks, but why are Cowboys fans bragging? It was the Raiders.
    Unlike 44-6, which was a beatdown administered to the Cowboys by the Eagles, which shut them out of the playoffs and made Tony Romo cry and faint in the shower.