Keary Colbert confronts reality

Instead of waiting for a phone call that might never come from another NFL team, veteran receiver Keary Colbert has opted to run a new pattern.

He’s the latest player with experience at the highest level of the sport to accept a step back to the UFL.
Colbert has signed with the Florida Tuskers, in a move announced this morning by the UFL.
A second-round pick in the 2004 draft from USC, Colbert spent four seasons with the Panthers. In 2008, he bounced from Denver to Seattle to Detroit.
Players on UFL teams may jump back to the NFL as of late November.  Some, such as Florida quarterback Brooks Bollinger, could draw significant interest.
Bollinger has played well for the Tuskers, leading them to a 3-0 record.  His 759 passing yards are the most in the four-team league.
The Tuskers host Las Vegas on Friday night at Tropicana Field in St. Petersburg.  The contest might draw a few less people than the WVU-USF game that will be played in Tampa that same night.
In their last home game, the Bulls brought more than 55,000 to Raymond James Stadium, 13,000 more than the Bucs attracted four days later for a game against the Panthers.
Permalink 9 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Carolina Panthers, Detroit Lions, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
9 Responses to “Keary Colbert confronts reality”
  1. severs28 says: Oct 27, 2009 11:12 AM

Being a Lions fan I can firmly say that this guy cannot catch a football. Maybe Jim Haslett can bring the best out in him. Maybe I am the minority but I have actually rather enjoyed watching the UFL games this season. There are several key players in the league that were Lions players. Brooks Bollinger and Mike Mcmahon both start and played QB for Detroit. Tatum Bell is one of the top RB’s in the league and he played here and now Keary Colbert. Maybe the Lions should just move to the UFL.

2. SkinsFanInNebraska says: Oct 27, 2009 11:14 AM

Ya know, I’ve watched some UFL games this year, and I gotta say: Not bad overall! Especially Florida — they’ve looked very sharp in both games of theirs that I’ve seen.
    Don’t get me wrong — it’s not the NFL, but then again it doesn’t claim to be. It is very enjoyable to watch.

3. Cubano says: Oct 27, 2009 11:31 AM

Sweet! I can’t wait to watch the Florida Tuskers vs. the Washington Redskins next year! Damn, Washington is a 14 pt underdog already.

4. straverse says: Oct 27, 2009 11:47 AM

So a Lions fan and a Redskins fan are now UFL fans. Who woulda thunk it?

5. Jumbotron84 says: Oct 27, 2009 12:09 PM

I love the UFL. I know it has been said over and over, but they need to get the jerseys lookin good. I would be more then happy to buy shorts and shirts and stuff if it just looked better.

6. DocBG says: Oct 27, 2009 2:39 PM

The games aren’t bad at all. the defensive skill level seems to be lacking a little, but overall the games are very enjoyable and are great to watch mid week. My only wish is that they televised both games every week.
    all aboard the tuskers bandwagon……

7. FireJerryJones says: Oct 27, 2009 3:00 PM

In the UK, the team that places last in the league is relegated to the second level.
    Maybe the UFL winner can move up to the NFL, and the Lions, Redskins, Raiders, Browns or Rams can be sent to the UFL.
    At the very least, that’ll save them from having to draft the next Jamarcus Russell…

8. thing2 says: Oct 27, 2009 7:15 PM

Geez Florio, now you’re trying to sneak WVU references into UFL posts? That might be stretching things a bit, even for you.

9. Fubar the Great says: Oct 27, 2009 10:11 PM

I actually kinda dig the UFL unis. I get what they’re doing – trying to establish a brand (league) identity by having them all based on a common template. My understanding is that the league and not the teams designed the unis and that next season teams will be allowed to get more creative with their logos etc. That being said, they need to make certain there is a distinct light/dark contrast between home and away teams colors.
    Quality of play has been about what I expected: comparable to good Arena League teams, and certainly better than the XFL. Florida could beat the Rams, Raiders, Chiefs and Browns, and probably the Redskins, Lions and Bucs as well. Jim Haslett and Brooks Bollinger will be back in the NFL before too long.