Former teammates take issue with Favre

Vikings quarterback Brett Favre raised eyebrows when he recently declared that his current team is the best team on which he ever has played.

The fact that the 2009 Vikings haven’t even qualified for the postseason — and still might not — makes it a very bold statement, in light of the accomplishments of the 1996 Packers.

The Super Bowl champion 1996 Packers.

And now some of Favre’s former teammates are sharing their views, according to the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel.

“To say that the team he’s on now, after seven games, is better than
the ’96 team — that’s just preposterous,” safety LeRoy Butler said.  “Not only did we have the No. 1
defense in 1996, but we had No. 1 special teams.”

Butler also takes issue with talk that Favre was the difference-maker for the Packers of the 1990s.

“This is my team.  I played 181 games, I was there before Brett, before
Reggie White and Ron Wolf and everybody.  This team means a lot to me,
so when somebody calls up on the radio show:  ‘Brett Favre is the one
that turned everything around’ — it’s almost a disrespectful slap in
the face.”

Tight end Mark Chmura was more specific.  “[I]t all starts with Brett — Brett’s not as good as he was. . . .  They
have Adrian Peterson, but I think Chester Taylor is a guy. . . .  Our quarterback was 10 times better, our
receivers were better, our special teams were much better.

“I
mean, you’re talking about the No. 1 defense in the league at that
time, maybe one of the best defenses ever to play the game. . . .  When we played back then, teams feared us. I
don’t know if teams fear the Minnesota Vikings today.”

Permalink 90 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
90 Responses to “Former teammates take issue with Favre”
  1. chapnasty says: Oct 28, 2009 11:08 AM

I have a feeling Brett is going to get smacked in the jaw in this game and it may be the last time he plays again. The only thing is, I can’t think of one guy on the Packers defense with the exeception of goldie lox aj hawk that can do it.

2. zappa says: Oct 28, 2009 11:12 AM

Nice of Mark Chmura to pull himself away from the daycare centers hot tub. Butler? Longtime Packer that will never be heard from again after Sunday.

3. favres_right_tendon says: Oct 28, 2009 11:17 AM

I am glad Chmura took some time away from being with teenage girls in a jacuzzi to chime in. You were not as good as you think there Chewy and if it was not for Favre getting you the ball you would of strictly been a special teams player, so think about that before you open your mouth…….

4. Drat says: Oct 28, 2009 11:17 AM

Come on folks. You are so mean to Favre.
    Obviously, what Brett meant to say was not “best team,” but something like this: “This is the best offense I ever played on that I remember in my post-addict days. I don’t really know anything about defense or special teams. Ever since a stopped being an addict, my brain cells now record some information for relatively long periods of time. And I’m feeling good, so hyperbole is the way to go. Giving away the last win with two turnovers returned for TDs? I forgot that already, even without drugs.”

5. JoeSchmoe says: Oct 28, 2009 11:18 AM

We were so good, I would take advantage of highschool girls in my hot tub.
    -Chmura

6. morowcjw says: Oct 28, 2009 11:18 AM

Or the Packers can thank Lord Favre for giving them all the ammo. Its kind of ridiculous to say something like that though…I mean if the Vike’s win the Super Bowl than the argument can begin….but 7 games in…(to quote Berman) Come’On Man!

7. ballhawk1 says: Oct 28, 2009 11:19 AM

SWEEP big deal…This Minne team against that 96 Packers team would get CRUSHED!! I am not a Packer fan, I am a follower because they have great fans (nice when I was there to watch the Eagles a couple yrs back, unlike MOST Eagle fans to visitors) and they have a great history…..That 96 team was incredible…Just imagine how good ST would be today if there were more Desmond Howards..not a great WR, but excelled at ST…..CAN YOU SAY DEVINE HESTER!!! Accept what you are great at and further excel at it, not go for the flashy position you are mediocre at.

8. Emoney says: Oct 28, 2009 11:19 AM

Even though Favre was a huge part of our success in ’96, he was not the sole reason why we won it all that year.
    Defense is usually the key to winning championships. Reggie White, Gilbert Brown, Santana Dotson and Sean Jones were far superior to the current Vikings. Nothing against the Vikings, but its no comparison. Our secondary was also better. Doug Evans, Leroy Butler, Eugene Robinson and Craig Newsome were all ball hawks. The only legitimate player in the Vikings secondary is Winfield.
    And of course I’d take a 28 year old MVP quarterback over a 40 year old who isn’t as quick and strong as he used to be.

9. fullerm14 says: Oct 28, 2009 11:22 AM

This doesn’t surprise me. LeRoy Butler and Mark Chmura now make their money pandering to Packer fans on local radio. I’m sure they don’t like the shot at their glory days, but frankly, they are also paid to incite cheese-fueled outrage on the drive-time sports talk in Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay. Butler was overrated when he played, and the weight of his opinion is vastly overrated now.

10. Citizen Strange says: Oct 28, 2009 11:24 AM

Steve Hanson: Called us names!
    Reggie Dunlop: Called us names! But Dave was there.

11. DePack says: Oct 28, 2009 11:24 AM

First of all please include Brett’s entire quote. He never said that this Viking team is the best team he has ever played on. I believe it was more like physically this team has the best talent of any team I have ever been on. He also said it in 2006 with the 8-8 Packer team and then they went 13-3. He’s probably said it about a half dozen other teams. It’s what a leader does. What is he supposed to say? “This team blows?” And you conveniently chopped up Mark “I can’t break a 16 year olds hymen” Chmura. Aren’t you actually associated with a real media outlet now…..well almost real.
    LeRoy Butler is just a washed up nobody that can’t land a job other than to do editorials for a local rag. Whenever I hear somebody say something like “I bleed green and gold” like Butler always says I’d love to ask them to cut themselves open and prove it. Besides…it’s yellow….not gold. If you read between the lines Butler thinks he meant more to that team than Brett, Reggie White and Ron Wolf. Nobody would even know who Butler is if it weren’t for Brett Favre. That outta really set him off.

12. JimmySmith says: Oct 28, 2009 11:24 AM

“coach Brad Childress can thank the ’96 Packers for giving him all the ammo he needs ”
    first, that is assuming Childress can read above a 3rd grade level,
    secondly, do you really think the Vikings give a rat’s ass what a bunch of former players really think 12 years after the fact,
    and lastly, does anybody dispute the main point? That nobody fears the Vikings? I don’t think the 49ers or Ravens were in fear for one minute, I know for a fact the Steelers weren’t.
    Remember all the way back to 2003, the last time the Vikings started a season 6-0, guess what folks, they missed the playoffs losing their final game to an inferior Cardinals team on the last play of the game…..which opened the door for another team to get into the playoffs. And Packer fans are grateful for that choke job.

13. Route36West says: Oct 28, 2009 11:26 AM

Ya but it works both ways. Now the Packers coach can use what Farve said to fire up his team. If I was about to play someone and they said they were better then former superbowl champions and former members of my team. I would be raring to get in there and shut there mouths and show them there not as good as they think.
    In my opinion the Packers will win and the Vikings will go the way of the Giants. The formerly undefeated 6-0 power house will turn into the mediocre 6-2 Vikings who like the Giants just lost 2 straight.

14. CINGreiss says: Oct 28, 2009 11:27 AM

Good thing Childress can’t coach and therefore doesn’t know how to motivate either. Packers take it on their home turf.

15. stuffhappens says: Oct 28, 2009 11:28 AM

Thank you LeRoy for having a voice for real Packer Fans! You truely bleed Green and Gold and were a key clog in Packer organization.

16. Daryll Hurst says: Oct 28, 2009 11:28 AM

I never understood why people never thought about Keith Jackson when talking about this team. He was a better TE than Chmura. He came to that team and it was instantly better.

17. Dirte says: Oct 28, 2009 11:29 AM

Butler and Chmura just can’t shut up. Guess is an easy get for the Packer beat writers any time they want to stir shit up.
    Funny thing is Favre is still making $10-15 Million/year!

18. Grulks says: Oct 28, 2009 11:31 AM

“it’s almost a disrespectful slap in the face.”
    As opposed to a -respectful- slap in the face??

19. jersey73 says: Oct 28, 2009 11:31 AM

Don’t worry Packer fans and former Packer players…if there is one thing we’ve learned about Favre is to not believe anything he says.

20. leatherneck says: Oct 28, 2009 11:32 AM

“Chester Taylor is a guy.” Give me a break.
    He is a guy who caught a 47 yard touchdown pass against the Packers last year.

21. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Oct 28, 2009 11:32 AM

I think the best comment I heard was that the team can’t be as good as the 96 team because Brett at 40 is the viking QB, very true but viking fans will never admit it.

22. *Legion* says: Oct 28, 2009 11:32 AM

Favre’s right. It is the best team he’s been on.
    Those other teams had a quarterback that ran around throwing interceptions all day. This one has a quarterback who hands off to his stud running back a bunch, inbetween the running around and throwing interceptions.

23. I Used to Hate Favre Guy says: Oct 28, 2009 11:35 AM

What is Favre supposed to say “This is the 2nd best team I’ve ever been on?” Child Please! Players overhype their team all the time. Plus there are more componets on a team then how they rank. There’s chemistry, there is unselfish attitudes, and players playing for the good of the team instead of personal accomplishments. Here we are almost half way through the season and Favre is playing different then any other time in his career. He is playing within the system, and playing smart football. In the GB years, that team was placed on his shoulders and I believe he felt it was his resposibility to make things happen and force issues. That is not the case in Minnesota. People are always bashing Childress, but the Vikings play as a team. You don’t hear Berrian complaining he’s not being thrown to enough, you don’t here Peterson or Chester Taylor complaining about the number of touches. By the way doesn’t Chumura have a High School to scope out? And I think somebody should tell LeRoy Butler that “his” teams sucked pre-Favre.

24. green&bold says: Oct 28, 2009 11:36 AM

I could care less about all the emotional garbage involved here. I’m a fan of the packers and hope they beat the hated rival. I will say this Vikings team is not even close to the 96 packers at this point in the season.

25. Manbearpig says: Oct 28, 2009 11:38 AM

Leroy is trying to tell us he turned around the Packers in the 90′s, from his safety position? I would LOVE to see him explain how they would have won a Super Bowl with Dan “Magic Man” Majkowski. Bunch of washed up idiots – to include a pedophile (Chmura) – who are mad to see Favre still able to play at a high level at age 40.
    WHAT are these guys doing now? Pretty sure they aren’t one of the top players on a division leading squad.

26. SoCalSean says: Oct 28, 2009 11:39 AM

Get over it!! No wonder Packer fans act the way they do, former players act the same way.. What the hell is in the water in Green Bay??

27. Daryll Hurst says: Oct 28, 2009 11:41 AM

JoeSchmoe says:
    October 28, 2009 11:18 AM
    We were so good, I would take advantage of highschool girls in my hot tub.
    -Chmura
    ————————
    Jimmy Gantner’s daughter.

28. Twiz says: Oct 28, 2009 11:42 AM

I can’t wait till this Sunday, shut up the fudge packers for the season!
    Rodgers gets sacked another 6-8 times for the game, the Vikes will win by at LEAST 14 pts!

29. Real-Vikes-Fan says: Oct 28, 2009 11:42 AM

Before everyone gets there nose out of joint, what he actually said was “….this is the best talented team he’s ever been on…”.
    Anyone who knows anything about football knows it takes more than talent to win a championship. It takes talented players, solid execution on the field, solid team chemistry, great coaching and enabling owner.
    So Brett’s comment only focused on one small part of the equation. It takes the whole equation to win it all. The 96 Pack had the equation sufficiently solved and they were awarded as such. The Vike’s appear to be on the right track this year but I’d be a fool to think that they are a lock win it all or a NFC title this year. I hope they make the playoffs and finish the season strong.
    Florio likes to stir the pot and watch (read) people become unglued. I have to admit it is kind of fun, but sometimes sad.

30. Daryll Hurst says: Oct 28, 2009 11:46 AM

*Legion* says:
    October 28, 2009 11:32 AM
    Favre’s right. It is the best team he’s been on.
    ——————————-
    favre threw 13 INTs in 96.

31. Manbearpig says: Oct 28, 2009 11:48 AM

# stuffhappens says: October 28, 2009 11:28 AM
    I don’t doubt he was a key “clog” in the organization (I remember him getting burned a lot by Cris Carter, etc.), just as cheese, brats and beer are key clogs to the arteries of the minions of morbidly obese Wisconsites who turn out in droves to watch their pathetic excuse for a football team, and then whine because their former hero has finally joined a good team.

32. Ralphie says: Oct 28, 2009 11:49 AM

Florio says: “And so as the Vikings prepare to play at Lambeau Field, coach Brad Childress can thank the ’96 Packers for giving him all the ammo he needs to get his troops fired up to finish their sweep of Favre’s former team.”
    ________________________________
    I’m sure you’re giggling as you write that.
    Cue Chilly: “Men, former Packers who WON the SB in 1996 with the BEST Defense in the NFLthat year say that we should not be compared to them as we have not even won the division yet let alone the SB, and we are not the top D in the NFL and it is only about 1/3rd into the season. Clearly they are saying we have not done anything yet. Who do they think they are! I expect you to take those words as a complete and utter insult and use them to fire you up!”
    I bet the majority of the Vikings are embarrassed to even think Childress would use that as motivation. As are some of the Saints players with Reggie’s undefeated proclamation.

33. MNFANINAZ says: Oct 28, 2009 11:51 AM

Packer Fan’s prepare yourselves. Viking fans will be all over Lambeau this weekend. Hide your women; the two hot ones in that dump of a town.
    “we’re coming ashore, burning the boats and never looking back”

34. redsquare says: Oct 28, 2009 11:53 AM

The 90s Packers would be just another footnote without Favre. End of story.

35. Seeryer says: Oct 28, 2009 11:54 AM

Is Favre supposed to say, “No, the 1996 Packers were better”? Seriously folks, Brett Favre is trying to win a Super Bowl in Minnesota. Sorry some guys who played on a team 13 years ago are offended. Leroy, you are my guy, but please shut the hell up. You may have been there before Brett Favre but Brett Favre brought the Pack back to greatness.

36. Ambrose says: Oct 28, 2009 11:56 AM

Backpedaling and dodging are two of the things Favre does very well. He applies the strategy off the field too. He has been speaking in tongues for years when it comes to explaining himself. He wants to be all things to all people. That is what egocentric narcissists do. This charade is coming to a screeching halt this Sunday. I never lost my desire for him to retire (someday) as a Packer, because of everything he has meant to the team and the fans. But with each passing week I am beginning to care less and less. He is a hollow self-centered jag-off and at this point in his career is a better fit with the Vikings and their jag-off fans. His true colors are showing and so are ours…Hunter Green and Athletic Gold. Hip hip for the Green and Gold. GO PACK!

37. Daryll Hurst says: Oct 28, 2009 11:58 AM

Manbearpig says:
    October 28, 2009 11:48 AM
    # stuffhappens says: October 28, 2009 11:28 AM
    =============
    he was a 4 time all pro

38. Deb says: Oct 28, 2009 11:58 AM

When Favre spoke, I took it that this was the best team in terms of locker-room camaraderie and his relationship with his teammates. It’s early to rank this Vikes team ahead of his Pack championship team in quality. He’s given several interviews about how much he respects his former Packer teammates, so I didn’t think he was being disrespectful … but only he knows.

39. xacvol says: Oct 28, 2009 12:00 PM

So why did the Packers Organization offer to pay Brett $20 million to stay retired? Just asking.

40. Daryll Hurst says: Oct 28, 2009 12:01 PM

Manbearpig says:
    October 28, 2009 11:48 AM
    # stuffhappens says: October 28, 2009 11:28 AM
    =============
    he was a 4 time all pro

41. Youngs79 says: Oct 28, 2009 12:03 PM

So much for Butler’s theory of the Packers putting fear in their opponents in ’96, The Vikings beat them in ’96! I guess on that day we weren’t too scared. Chmura needs to stick with what he knows best, young girls. Favre willed them the Super Bowl that year and no amount of bad mouthing from Butler can take that away. Envy and Jealously are what Packers know the best.

42. Vick's failed drug test says: Oct 28, 2009 12:04 PM

Leroy Butler? Your team? No. that was Brett and Reggie’s team. I don’t care if you played with Starr and Nitschke, it was Brett and Reggie’s team.
    go back to selling used cars or whatever it is you are doing and quit whining.

43. Emoney says: Oct 28, 2009 12:07 PM

You guys are out of your MINDS if you think that Butler was over-rated!
    Leroy Butler was one of the best safeties ever to play. Look at his numbers. He was a 4-time pro bowler and a 5-time all pro player. He was the first defensive back in history to have 20 sacks and 20 interceptions.
    12 year career:
    38 interceptions
    12 fumble recoveries
    3 defensive touchdowns
    20.5 sacks
    953 tackles
    553 return yards
    He was named to the 1990′s NFL all decade team.
    So don’t be hating on Butler. He’s earned respect and deserves it. Viking fans can only WISH they had someone like him in their secondary.

44. BigSnert says: Oct 28, 2009 12:09 PM

The thing we should be focusing on is how lucky we are. When we wake up on Sunday morning, Halloween will be over and all of our “scarey nightmares” will be gone.
    Ted Thompson’s will just be beginning.

45. blitzed says: Oct 28, 2009 12:11 PM

so for motivation by Chili this week it will be what ?? …. last week he crossed dressed as an airline stewardess in nylons , lipstick , a wig and the whole nine yards on the flight to Pittsburgh …. he said it was to loosen the boys up for the big game …. but i actually wonder how many of the boys thought WTF when seeing this moron dressed up as a woman …. talk about a man with a troubled mind using that as a technique to loosen up his players…. NO WORDS can explain the actions of this fool , dressed as a woman or his on the field coaching decisions (he has 3 or 4 of them each week) …. talk about one of the biggest IDIOTS ever to coach an nfl team , MN you have him

46. Scoop says: Oct 28, 2009 12:26 PM

Its refreshing to see that Butler is finally whining about something rather than Superbowl XXXII. You know, the one where a real HoF caliber S named Steve Atwater gave a clinic on how be an impact player from the position. The more you hear from these old Packers, the more you understand the prison-rape they suffered that fine Sunday evening long ago. They are kind of like the modern Bolts, only mouthier and less constrained by the parameters of reality.

47. mixman34 says: Oct 28, 2009 12:28 PM

Those old hacks are just itching their chapped asses. Favre’s still in the game making LOTS more than they are. They could only dream…

48. DocBG says: Oct 28, 2009 12:32 PM

Here is a little truth about the current packers: They are an above average team in a league without parity, they can score points at an incredible clip, their defense is tired and their offensive line is pathetic, they play very well at home, they are the 2nd best team in a good division. (blow me you east coast pricks)
    Most of the viking fans on here don’t mistake the pack as a pushover team, we realize that they are an above average team but still not as good as the vikings. My opinion is that the vikings will win this game and all the stupidity happening in GB and around your pathetic state this week will only add fuel to the fire.
    One thing that I’ve noticed more with vikings players in relation to favre as opposed to packer players in relation to favre is the level of dedication going both ways. If something that happens to favre the rest of the team rallies around him to make up for it, if something happens to another member of the team, favre is there to look after the guy. the chemistry building between him and percy is something great to watch and makes both of them play at a higher level. same goes with Allen, and other guys on the team. the vikes are highly, highly motivated to bury the pack right now, if we play with a faction of the intensity we had against pitt, the pack is done by the 3rd quater (hell, maybe the start of the second) GB will pretend to be fired up, but rodgers is the only one still drinking the TT and MM kool-aid everyone else knows that they ran brett out of town and caused this mess in the first place.

49. enutpenfry says: Oct 28, 2009 12:34 PM

Florio is showing his colors as a not-so-secret Vikings fan. Comments by the ’96 Superbowl team as motivation? Puleeze. If Chilly can’t get the Vikings fired up on his own, he is an even worse coach than Tice.
    Vikings fans have the biggest inferiority complex of any fans in sports.

50. Big G says: Oct 28, 2009 12:34 PM

LeRoy your teams did not start winning until Farve took over & isn’t this the same Makr that goes out with underage girls & would be in jail today if he was not famous. It’s his opinion & by the way are either of them 2 still playing? Bunch of whiners. Besides Packers still suck.

51. Bob Nelson says: Oct 28, 2009 12:39 PM

No team has dominated a season the way that 1996 Packer team did.
    They lead the league
    in scoring,
    in offense,
    and defense.
    Only the 85 Bears might have had a slightly better defense but the 1996 Packer team was far better on offense and special teams.
    The way that the 1996 team dominated, I have never seen a better football team in my lifetime.
    They would have beaten both Pro Bowl teams handily.

52. Vikes-N-Favre says: Oct 28, 2009 12:40 PM

Big words coming from a washed up has been like Butler, and a never was rapist like Chumura. Without Favre, the Packers never win a SB Title, and most likely never even reach the SB period.
    For those saying that Favre will get beat up this Sunday, he didn’t even get touched in the first game. Worry more about that cross eyed QB of yours who got demolished the last time out.

53. planktonDisciple says: Oct 28, 2009 12:48 PM

I’m also tired of hearing sports reporters talk as if Burp Fatre singlehandedly turned the Packers around. He arrived at the same time the new GM arrived. If the Packers were average on defense and special teams, there would be no superbowls for the Burpster. It’s like saying Eli Manning turned the Giants around.

54. DarkHorse81 says: Oct 28, 2009 12:49 PM

*Legion* says:
    October 28, 2009 11:32 AM
    Favre’s right. It is the best team he’s been on.
    ————————————————–
    Lmao that sh*t is funny.
    Hey here is another one for you those other teams had Favre playing for both sides Brett kept everybody in the game what a great guy LOL

55. stetai says: Oct 28, 2009 12:50 PM

This is BS. In 2007, when the Packers were 8-8, Brett Favre said it was the most talented team he’s ever been on.
    Where was the outrage then?
    As it happens, following that statement, the Packers went 14-4 and OT into the NFC championship. It was pretty effective wouldn’t you say?
    This is more bitter, jealousy from the petty Wisconsin media trying to stir things up to get fans to hate Brett Favre because they are mad that the ratings money magnet is in Minnesota.

56. Bordner says: Oct 28, 2009 12:54 PM

Probably Butler’s greatest contribution to the game was that he invented the Lambeau Leap.
    It’s funny how Viking fans are becoming this year’s version of Obnoxious Cowboy Fan. Suddenly, they’re everywhere. All it took was a Packer castoff to turn that team into something that people talk about outside of the state of Minnesota.
    Pack 24-10.

57. skip says: Oct 28, 2009 12:56 PM

Funny how Packer fans are so upset to see Favre have success in Minnesota…..you didn’t want him any more remember!!!! Butler and Chmura, really…..oh yeah the Vikings beat you in 96. Good Luck Sunday!!

58. Chickenfoot says: Oct 28, 2009 12:56 PM

Congrats Florio:
    You got all the Packer nitwits out in droves!!
    I’m seeing names on this thread i haven’t seen since before the last matchup.
    Wasn’t this the same 96 team beat by a winless Colts team? I could be wrong.
    Maybe the Vikes should just forfeit?
    I mean the pack just beat the Brown and Lions.
    Obviously this team is a juggernaut.
    Seriously….Vikes in a laugher.
    Pack was dominate last time for 3.5 quarters and Chilly stupidly lets’ off the gas.
    Just remember Packer fans : 30-14 with 7 minutes to go.
    If there is no soft zone on d and no conservative play calling on O, the score would reflect that.
    You were not in that game.

59. CaptainFantastik says: Oct 28, 2009 1:03 PM

Vikes n’ Favre is a moron at best.
    “The Vikings will be playing this Sunday pissed off as it is after getting screwed by the officials in Pittsburgh, now all this does is adds fuel to the fire.”
    1) You can have that Rice TD because guess what? You still lose even with that score.
    2) Your boy Favre coughed up TWO defensive TD’s (gee, never seen that before with the game on the line)
    3) Your boys were holding on the Harvin return. here’s a nice vid to prove it:
    4) Aaron Rodgers was 26 for 37 with 384 yards and 2 TD’s against Minnesota. He also completed over 70% of his passes. That’s hardly getting “demolished”.
    5) Defense wins championships. Your defense is ranked #17 in YPG. There are 20 other defenses in the NFL who have given up fewer points than the “vaunted” Vikes defense. The Packers on the other hand, are the #3 defense in the league in YPG and only two other teams have given up fewer points than the Packers’ D.
    6)Your boys are this close to being 4-3 if not for a miracle hail mary and a shanked FG. So i’d STFU if I were you. Yours is the softest 6-1 record in NFL history.
    7) You sound like Jets fans from last year around this time. Didn’t end so well for them. I doubt it will end any better for you. Your team has never won anything and never will win anything. And in two years they will be playing in Los Angeles.

60. Sterling says: Oct 28, 2009 1:09 PM

These people need to settle down and develop a thicker skin.
    Favre was being a teammate when he said that. He was trying to tell his teammates, “I believe in you. I’m going to do my best for this team.” He didn’t mean it literally.
    Geez. What is up with so many people being so serious about an off-the-cuff remark?
    That said, as a Packer fan and a Favre fan (yes, we do exist), the Vikes are pretty beat up right now. They haven’t had their bye week yet, and the past two weeks played the Ravens and the Steelers, both very physical teams. The Packers had a bye week and two gimmes against the Lions and the Browns. They’re well rested, and given their defeat in Minnesota, will be jacked up to defend their legendary home turf. I think the Pack takes this one.

61. Nevisyakker says: Oct 28, 2009 1:14 PM

It’s sad really. There is nothing else to do or even live for in crappy little Green Bay so they have to get hysterical over the packers, and go back 13 years to find ammunition for their argument.
    And what a pair of spokesmen! Could it be that most of the credible members of that team have gone on to other things in life and don’t see the point of bleeding green and gold for ever?
    If someone offered LeRoy 13 million to bleed another color for a season do you think he would take them up on it?

62. SlipperyPete says: Oct 28, 2009 1:26 PM

LeRoy Butler > Brett Favre

63. marshall70 says: Oct 28, 2009 1:26 PM

Packer fans need to let go of this. Favre wanted to remain a Packer and Green Bay wanted to go in another direction. Favre owes nothing to Packer fans or the organization. He went to Minnesota because he saw a team with a system and players he liked the Vikings were in need of a QB. So, skip hit the nail on the head with what he said.

64. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Oct 28, 2009 1:28 PM

60+ comments and counting here for this crapfest…
    Damn, Florio should post one story a day and just give it the title of:
    Favre…
    The name alone sells itself.

65. jorge says: Oct 28, 2009 1:42 PM

Apparently the concussions that Favre has taken in the past are really starting to affect this mans memory…
    The 96 team was head and shoulders better than this Vikes team and its not even close!!!

66. marcduke says: Oct 28, 2009 1:56 PM

“Favre willed them the Super Bowl that year and no amount of bad mouthing from Butler can take that away.”
    ___________________________________
    Citation please? Oh yeah, I forgot – Brett had the 3 sacks on Bledsoe and was the point man on the wedge for returns, right?
    The Packers won the ’96 Super Bowl – the whole team was great, not just one man.

67. Strick says: Oct 28, 2009 1:57 PM

marshall70 said:
    “Favre wanted to remain a Packer and Green Bay wanted to go in another direction. ”
    Yeah… but that was AFTER Favre changed his mind and unretired. AFTER the team had already made a commitment to Aaron Rodgers. AFTER the team drafted TWO quarterbacks to restock the roster.
    The thought that the Packers shoved Brett out the door is just plain wrong. People need to get their facts straight.
    Brett changed his mind, and I don’t have a problem with that. But he waited too long to do it. Green Bay had already moved on.
    Call up an old girlfriend. One who’s married to someone else. Say to her, “You know, I think I want be your boyfriend again.” See how that works out for ya…

68. mixman34 says: Oct 28, 2009 2:01 PM

Obviously Favre is just pumping up his team… those guys need to unwind their panties, i read Chmura took the rosters and compared player for player.. haha seriously… nothing better to do? They got all offended…. who cares, whats he supposed to say the 6-0 team I’m currently playing for doesn’t compare to my old Superbowl team?

69. Emoney says: Oct 28, 2009 2:11 PM

Nevisyakker says:
    October 28, 2009 1:14 PM
    ___________________________________
    LOL at least we can go back 13 years to look back at a championship.
    Viking fans have nothing in their pathetic short history to look back on. Unless you wanna count those four super bowls in the 70′s where you LOST!

70. Deb says: Oct 28, 2009 2:11 PM

enutpenfry says:
    “Florio is showing his colors as a not-so-secret Vikings fan.”
    ——————————————–
    Mike! I thought you were a closet Steelers fan! Or was that Redskins fan? … Cowboys fan? … Giants fan? … Dolphins fan? You’ve been accused of favoring so many teams I lose track. From what what I’ve read, you just favor tossing out controversy to stir up hits–as any savvy blogger would. But since I haven’t been here that long, conspiracy theories aside, have you ever actually confessed true allegiance to any team?

71. anniev says: Oct 28, 2009 2:15 PM

he is talking about his offense. not ST or def., its his opinion.

72. anniev says: Oct 28, 2009 2:18 PM

why do they keep saying special teams?? who cares about that and id question that. his receivers were better?? that has yet to be seen (harvin and rice are young and havent had oportunities), he says sydney rice is the bets hes played with, thats his opinion he knows his receivers . As far as QB he isnt talking about his play, he is saying who he has played with to say that the QB is better is graaasping.

73. AZVikesFan says: Oct 28, 2009 4:22 PM

stuffhappens says:
    —————————————————————–
    It is probably asking a Packers fan too much to know that the word you are looking for is not “clog” (a Swedish wooden shoe), but “cog”.

74. VikingsFan23 says: Oct 28, 2009 5:07 PM

Some of these comments are hilarious.
    First, how much did teams “fear” the 96 packers? yes, they were a great team, but they didn’t have anyone on offense – outside of Favre -that struck fear in anyone’s heart. The Vikes have Adrian Peterson.
    Second, to those of you writing that the 96 Pack would crush this year’s Vikes, you do of course realize that the 96 Pack lost to the 96 Vikes, who shouldn’t be confused with the 09 Vikes.
    Anyway, this whole thing is way, way premature. The 96 Packers were able to put it together and win a Super Bowl. The 09 Vikes haven’t won anything yet.

75. packers4life says: Oct 28, 2009 5:37 PM

Why is everyone instantly giving credit to Favre for the Packers’ 1996 Super Bowl win? If I were to give credit, most of it would go straight to Ron Wolf. He was the one who turned around Favre’s career and if you don’t believe that, just look at how Favre did in Atlanta. He was awful and had Wolf not traded for Favre, he would be nowhere near as close as to where he is today. Heck he probably would of been a backup for most of his career had he stayed in Atlanta since Falcons coach Jerry Glanville literally hated Favre and would of never, ever started him.
    I give alot of credit to Favre for re-transforming Green Bay but he was not the entire reason to why that happened. I can name at least 5-6 other players that had just as big of role as Favre did. Players like Reggie White, LeRoy Butler, Antonio Freeman, Desmond Howard, Sean Jones, and Craig Newsome.
    and how can some of you idiot Vikqueen fans say Green Bay is boring when you probably never been there? because there is just as much to do there as anywhere else. If not, then your just a really boring person.

76. bustabloodvessel says: Oct 28, 2009 7:18 PM

I get sick of pack fans talk about the championships. Sure the Vikings have never won. Green Bay won in 96, but when was the last time before that? For Packer fans to not care about Favre, they sure are talking about what he says a lot.
    As a Vikings fan, I can see Green Bay winning this game. We are beat up, and no matter how the secondary did against Pitt, I’m not sure they will fare as well against A-Rog. He wants to prove T.T. made the right choice. We will be missing Winfield for sure. It may backfire and we see him hold the ball a little long waiting for a deep route to open up, and take six more sacks. I hope Brett will be satisfied handing off to AD and Chester, maybe dink and dunk a little. The teams are pretty close on paper, Green Bay just hasn’t had much luck with their defense. Should be a good game though. Sorry I rambled a bit, trying to tune out my two year olds program. God I HATE the wiggles.

77. AZVikesFan says: Oct 28, 2009 7:21 PM

78. Glassguy9 says: Oct 28, 2009 9:59 PM

Here we are again Tit–town are you ready for the second ass-kicking of the season?

79. PervyHarvin says: Oct 28, 2009 10:04 PM

80. packers4life says: Oct 28, 2009 10:43 PM

“Leroy Butler. Mark Chmura. Lose the attitudes tools. Favre was the ONLY reason you got a ring dipshits!!”
    Dude you know absolutely nothing about the ’96 Packers so just shut the hell up.
    “I remember when Ryan Longwell left Green Bay and moved to the Twin Cities to play for the Vikings. He commented on how nice it was to be able to actually go to a nice restaurant instead of Chili’s and Applebees, which is about as good as it gets in Green Bay.
    Green Bay doesn’t even have a hotel “suitable” for NFL teams – they stay 30 miles away in Appleton instead. So don’t tell me that there is just as much to do in Green Bay as anywhere else. Not to say it’s a terrible town, just not a very exciting or interesting one in most people’s opinions.”
    Who really cares? If you haven’t there, you don’t know what it is like there. Simple as that. Reading what someone else said doesn’t count.

81. packers4life says: Oct 28, 2009 11:53 PM

“I get sick of hearing about how loyal and diehard Packer fans are. I think it’s BS. It wasn’t exactly title town in GB in the 70′s and 80′s. When Favre hit GB a whole lot of people jumped on the bandwagon. ”
    You moron the Packers have sold out every game since 1960 and yes even during the bad years in the ’70s and ’80s.
    The team that you are referring to when you say ‘jumping on the bandwagon once Favre arrived’ is your own ‘fanbase’. They were the ones that started selling out games and such once Favre signed with the Vikings. Before that, they couldn’t even sell out a playoff game let alone any regular season home game. In fact, Viking fans are the defintion of fairweather fans.
    So next time you post, get your facts straight because it is making you look really, really stupid.

82. packers4life says: Oct 29, 2009 4:44 AM

“he says sydney rice is the bets hes played with”
    Dude he’s just saying that because there is absolutely no way Rice is the best WR Favre has played with. That honor goes to either Antonio Freeman or Donald Driver, by far none.
    Plus Rice isn’t all that good yet. He is a talented WR but I am starting to think that Favre is making him. I mean, Rice was nothing his first two years, Now that Favre is here, he got good. Let’s see how he does when Favre leaves.

83. Chickenfoot says: Oct 29, 2009 9:05 AM

By the way Packer4life, I’ve been to GB several times…..it is a shithole.
    The only redeeming quality that area has is it’s casino and the Hooters theme resturant that they have.
    Keep taking credit for the sellouts also.
    That started YEARS ago. Your ancestors are the reason there is a waiting list, not you.
    If this franchise was horrible earlier in its existence, you would not have seem sell outs in the 70′s and 80′s. No way.
    99% of you pukes have probably been to less than 5 games in your life, but yet you thump your chests about the sellouts.
    If you aren’t a season ticket holder, you need to STFU.
    You haave zilch to do with the sellouts.
    Vikes 31 pack 17

84. packers4life says: Oct 30, 2009 3:07 AM

“I heard that when they went to Max Mcgee for his comments on this subject, he went through the roof!”
    Dude you need to grow the hell up. It is one thing to trash talk but to make fun of someone’s death like you just did there is going too far.
    “Vikes 31 pack 17″
    If you think that is going to be the final score, then you know absolutely nothing about football.

85. Chickenfoot says: Oct 30, 2009 8:43 AM

Dude: Sorry, that joke was funny.
    Knowing nothing about football?
    Hmm let’s see.
    Vikes lead 30-14 with 7 minutes to go.
    Chilly calls off the dogs.
    Pack scores 9 points in garbage time.
    Pack fans actually think they were in the game because they only lost by 7.
    Cut to Nov.1st
    lack of depth at WR due to Swain and nelson being out.
    Finley a long shot to play
    Spitz and Clifton- Not practicing
    Tauscher- out of football due to injury for a year
    Green – hasn’t played since when.
    I don’t care if the game is at Lambeau, you guys are beat up, lack of depth at key positions is going to hurt you.
    What happens if Driver Or Jennings gets hurt?
    Grant? Rodgers?
    This is what happens when your GM won’t come out of the dark ages and use FA like everyone else.
    It’s insanity for you to expect a different outcome.
    At least with the injuries, you have a built in excuse, that’s what MOST of you pack fans are all about.
    The Mcgee thing was kind of tasteless, but it was funny.

86. mrmookieman says: Oct 30, 2009 10:05 AM

Look, everyone likes trash talk. Thats what makes it so fun. First understand that.
    Now, I have bee a PACKS fan for 22 years, granted my first and foremost is COLTS (grew up in indy). However, I am a FAVRE fan. Got alot of respect for that man. Switching teams and a little confusion, who wouldnt have at this point in his career and to have to sit on the bench to stay with PACKS “no way” I would change teams or retire also. I have started how many games? Played for how many years? Won a bowl? Broke and made records!!!! Come on now let me play!!!! If he isnt done THEN HE ISNT DONE.
    You get in fight at your job quit and go somewhere else after 15 years what thats ok? But not for FAVRE?
    Oh well, I got issues on this game Sunday also. Want both teams to WIN. I got issues, couldnt bet on either team.

87. Supersuckers says: Oct 30, 2009 11:21 AM

Yeah Chicken for calling someone a disgrace of a human for teh Orlando Thomas thing or whatever of the several things you called that guy the McGee thing is a little bit hypocritical. Green Bay has 4 healthy wideouts by the way. Free Agency. Again he has used it.

88. Supersuckers says: Oct 30, 2009 11:25 AM

Chickenfoot says:
    You said it yourself there douchebag.
    Keep your hatred for the Vikings where it belongs!
    Not on a post of whether Orlando Thomas died or not.
    Try to justify any way you want you worthless POS, the fact remains that you are a classless idiot for even bringthe other stuff up.
    How are they being reprehensive? A media outlet in La. reported it, why would they lie?
    Why shouldn’t they have checked it out before they ran with it? How does that fall on the Vikings?
    It’s just another in the long line of inane drivel of yours.
    Your hatred for the orginization as a whole, makes you seem to think that gives you carte blance to be an insensitive asshole.
    There is a time an a place for trash talk and this thread isn’t it.
    You disgust me. To me, before, you were just an annoying piss ant. Now, you’ve sunk to a whole new level.
    You are a sad excuse for a human being.
    That what you have done is wrong and you don’t get it, speaks volumes about your upbringing and your lack of intelligence.
    I’m all for giving rival fans shit, but not on a thread like this.
    Be happy the man didn’t die at 37. Viking or packer, has nothing to do with it.
    The post should be about that not what a horrid franchise you think the Vikes are.
    Idiot
    ————————————————–
    This one. That poor guy is probably in therapy after that verbal assault.

89. Chickenfoot says: Oct 30, 2009 1:36 PM

I’ll justify it by saying that this thread and that thread is not about whether Max Mcgee is dead or not. There is such a thing as a moratorium.
    I alone will decide how long that moratorium is, and what constitutes good taste or not.
    Seriously though. It was only because it was Jimmy, had it been bobnelson or adampissanandmoanerson, i would have blasted them also.
    My point is, they thought the guy was dead…that day…and he’s on basically an obituary thread, or no he’s not dead thread, making fun of the orginization.
    Had Max died a week ago, I don’t make that joke.
    It’s been long enough now that it’s not in poor taste.
    You or Beer make the correlation, I let it go, you at least have knowledge. Jimmy posts the same garbage over and over, he wasn’t saying anything new, so, no, no place for it on the Thomas thread, not from him.
    I’m sure Jimmy was in therapy before that assault. 100% sure

90. packers4life says: Oct 30, 2009 5:45 PM

“Had Max died a week ago, I don’t make that joke. It’s been long enough now that it’s not in poor taste.”
    What difference does it make? What you said still was disrespectful no matter how long ago it was. and nothing you will say will change that.