Percy Harvin has another "illness"

Vikings receiver Percy Harvin, one of the early favorites for 2009 offensive rookie of the year, was a surprise addition to the Thursday injury report, due to an “illness.”

Several weeks ago, Harvin showed up on the Thursday report with an unspecified illness.  Coach Brad Childress was coy about the situation, and it later was revealed that Harvin had been suffering from migraine headaches.

This time around, Childress also has declined to specify the illness.

The news was otherwise good for the Vikings, who play the Packers on Sunday.  Though cornerback Antoine Winfield did not participate due to a foot injury, receiver Bernard Berrian returned on a limited basis due to a hamstring injury suffered in Sunday’s loss to the Steelers.  Also, linebacker E.J. Henderson (knee) practiced on a limited basis after missing practice on Wednesday.

Quarterback Brett Favre (hip) remained a limited participant for the second straight day, as was linebacker Ben Leber (calf), cornerback Karl Payman (quad), and fullback Fahu Tahi (knee).

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Injuries, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Percy Harvin has another "illness"”
  1. Paulitik says: Oct 29, 2009 6:13 PM

Not to defend a former Florida player, but the dude suffers from chronic migraines, which shouldn’t be taken lightly, ( I get them too. It is sheer misery, luckily less often than when I was in my 20s) I’m not sure what you are insinuating with this.

2. GDHussak says: Oct 29, 2009 6:20 PM

Where can I get a Bernard jersey? Any stat people know if Bernard Bernard is the first guy in the history of the NFL to have the same first and last names?
    Is it that much to ask for you to just re-read your post before you click the “submit” button.

3. footballrulz says: Oct 29, 2009 6:20 PM

Until Harvin doesn’t play in a game I would think he’s got a migraine. Understand those things are a bitch.
    Nothing short of death will keep Favre out of this game.
    After that game last Sunday I would imagine most of the Vike (& Steeler) players have a few “issues”.
    Pack fan here–we got our work cut out for us. Looking forward to the game Sunday afternoon. Should be a better one this time.

4. Bernie19Kosar says: Oct 29, 2009 6:32 PM

Are the munchies an illness?

5. leatherneck says: Oct 29, 2009 6:32 PM

Leave Percy alone. Seriously.

6. LewD says: Oct 29, 2009 6:34 PM

Paulitik, excellent point … these are not Gods playing football, but rather human beings .. and though physically gifted, they are subject to the same diseases (imperfections) as the rest of us … didn’t we just read yesterday (and were reminded) about a former player’s battle with ALS?
    Sometimes with all of the pomp and circumstance involved with these high profile athletes, the humanity seems to disappear ….

7. Osterhouse says: Oct 29, 2009 6:37 PM

Florio only writes about Percy Harvin to bring the packer fans out and create a bunch of comments. Vikings posts easily generate the most posts on this site.

8. nerd says: Oct 29, 2009 6:39 PM

Get acupuncture. You can get rid of those headaches. It ain’t too complicated using TCM.

9. LBPACKFAN says: Oct 29, 2009 6:43 PM

From a Packer fan here…
    Percy has been good so far this year. So far it has been a great late first round pick for Minny.
    I hope he is OK.
    I am glad I personally don’t suffer from this crap.

10. footballrulz says: Oct 29, 2009 6:45 PM

Osterhouse–Favre, Vick, Limbaugh–those are the three words.

11. El Colon says: Oct 29, 2009 6:46 PM

Osterhouse –
    If you look back, I’m pretty sure you’ll find the Philadelphia Eagles typically generate the most posts. Just something I noticed.
    Especially when you consider the hatred for Vox’s antics.

12. PervyHarvin says: Oct 29, 2009 6:49 PM

Man, I really feel for Percy. I can’t even imagine how terrible it would be to live with migraines. If they are worse than my weekend hangovers, I will pray for him!

13. stiller43 says: Oct 29, 2009 6:53 PM

Did Favre hurt his hip when he dove to the ground when “trying” to attempt to tackle Keyaron Fox?
    Comment Submission Error
    Your comment submission failed for the following reasons: Registration is required.
    Return to the original entry.

14. tufar says: Oct 29, 2009 6:56 PM

Hey Rulz, I’m really getting worried, that’s a couple of times now that I’ve liked your comments on here. It’s not easy for a Vikes fan to agree with a Pack guy, I must be losing it. Jeeez!

15. Xpensive Wino says: Oct 29, 2009 7:01 PM

16. Jhitt81 says: Oct 29, 2009 7:06 PM

This illness didn’t come about after renting a boat with some teammates did it?

17. Surfdog says: Oct 29, 2009 7:07 PM

If he gets migraines, those are horrible. I get them, and I don’t wish them on anyone – even a Viking (well, maybe Brent).

18. Bob Nelson says: Oct 29, 2009 7:07 PM

Harvin’s troubles:
    1) 02/22/2009 – Arrives at the NFL combine on drugs with full knowledge and prior warning he would be tested for drug abuse. Tests positive for marijuanna. Placed in NFL’s substance abuse program. The NFL is now spending extra resources monitoring the player.
    2) 5/1/2009 – missed rookie practice do to severe dehydration, cause unknown, called in sick.
    3) 06/29/2009 – Arrives at the NFL required rookie symposium and then tells medical personnel he is too ill to participate and is sent home.
    4) 06/30/09 – Harvin ordered to attend the 2010 rookie symposium. Like the kid that flunked first grade Percy has to attend next year.
    5) 07/31/09 – Harvin fails to report to Training Camp on time.
    6) 08/04/09 – Harvin’s contract with the Vikings is disapproved by the NFL for rules violations.
    7) 08/14/09 – Harvin is “hurt” (shoulder) and misses his first game, the preseason opener.
    8) 09/24/09 and 9/25-09 – Harvin misses practices again with a mystery illness that the vikings refuse to discuss. No one will say if the illness coincides with the scheduled extra drug testing he is required to undergo due to his prior failed test.
    9) 10/29/09 – Harvin misses practice again due to “illness”.
    Since the draft the guy cannot go one month without a problem.

19. PayDoh says: Oct 29, 2009 7:12 PM

“Vikings posts easily generate the most posts on this site. ”
    –First time for everything. Going to be great when they come up short.

20. Chickenfoot says: Oct 29, 2009 7:12 PM

footballrulz:
    Always a gentleman, I will tell you good luck sir.
    Although I don’t want your team to win, you are a good and knowledgable fan. how you keep your head about you in the sea of chaos that is PFT, I don’t know.
    Hope it’s a good game and I hope the Vikes prevail.

21. mr.kush says: Oct 29, 2009 7:12 PM

damn percy got another bout of COTTONMOUTH, again, dude needs to lay off the kush until the offseason, he’s turning into ricky williams version 2.0, and does bernard bernard have any relation rocky bernard or Ruben Boumtje-Boumtje?

22. mixman34 says: Oct 29, 2009 7:15 PM

Jimmy and Bob in 3… 2… 1…
    chodes

23. JimmySmith says: Oct 29, 2009 7:16 PM

Just another smokescreen by Childress to create a built in excuse in the event they lose the game. Doesn’t anyone doubt that Percy (a perfect name for a player forced to wear a purple uniform) will play this Sunday?
    Somebody in Mpls needs to teach Percy how to properly use a bong, try to explain that you don’t drink the water.

24. mw says: Oct 29, 2009 7:20 PM

Hope it’s not swine flu.

25. mw says: Oct 29, 2009 7:21 PM

Oh, one more thing …
    Pot is great for migraines.

26. DCViking says: Oct 29, 2009 7:28 PM

@footballrulz –
    Right back you, as a Vikes fan I’m worried about the GB game as you seem to have been able to work out some kinks the past few weeks, while we’ve been physically pummelled (literally) by the Ravens and Steelers.
    Really like to get this win before the bye, but I don’t if it will happen.
    Back to Percy, at lease he wasn’t reported as dead…

27. spyboots says: Oct 29, 2009 7:30 PM

Severe migraines can be quite painful and debilitating and can last a very long time.

28. TylerDurden says: Oct 29, 2009 7:43 PM

C’mon man. It’s called a hangover.

29. SuperbowlViking says: Oct 29, 2009 7:45 PM

Oh crap, looks like i should put my culppeper jersey out of the closet to replace my harvin one i wore at home during the game last sunday. Cant believe he wont be making his returns for touchdowns this Sunday at those packers. I bet everyone of you Packer fans wish you could have him, would be upgrade from Driver or that jennins guy.
    Skoel Vikes

30. tufar says: Oct 29, 2009 7:51 PM

Smith and Nelson. The Doofus twins. At least this time around we are also hearing from some sane Packer fans, thanks.

31. AD4MVP says: Oct 29, 2009 7:52 PM

Xpensive Wino
    They ran a story about Harvin’s migraine troubles several weeks back when he was having issues. He has been to a ton of doctors and none have been able to get him effective medication for treating them. Apparently the doctors were stumped…. they caused him to miss like 6 games throughout his U of F career.
    Sounds like it would suck, hopefully percy will be good to go by sunday.

32. AD4MVP says: Oct 29, 2009 7:57 PM

Bob-
    Maybe you are right he hasn’t gone a month without a “problem” (Although I don’t know why you would consider chronic migraines a “problem”, it is an illness).
    What you forgot is that he has played in every single game and is a leading candidate for ROY honors.
    How many games has BJ Raji played? And what ever happened to that Justin Harrell(sp) guy? I wouldn’t be knocking draft picks by the vikings my friend.

33. Majik Man says: Oct 29, 2009 8:09 PM

Bob Nelson, how often are you going to post that same, stupid Harvin list, and why are you so obsessed with what he does? Possible man crush?

34. Contra says: Oct 29, 2009 8:14 PM

Hey Florio,
    What happened to making insinuations about Percy being a pot smoker? Oh, I guess you meant that when you put illness in quotation marks! Or did you drop that stupid joke when Percy has proven that he is out to play and play REAL WELL on gameday?
    Also, what happened to you listing 10 different diseases and illnesses whenever Favre was on the injury report? Oh wait…I guess he proved you wrong too by performing as well as he has.
    Bottom line, the Vikings have proven you wrong in every single aspect that you joked about during preseason. Yes, the very same Vikings that you now exploit for hits on this site which has shamelessly turned for the worst in the past few months.
    Give me a break and let someone else handle Vikings posts.

35. Contra says: Oct 29, 2009 8:16 PM

@ Bob Nelson
    Hey
    I can look like an awful idiot too by writing in broken paragraphs.
    I like Percy Harvin
    Guess what.
    I dont care about his past.
    He is performing INSANELY well on… (please scroll down)
    …Gamedays!

36. Tundrastruck says: Oct 29, 2009 8:25 PM

Rather than dismiss the claim that Percy Harvin is better than Donald Driver or Greg Jennings, I will just say that anybody that says that is a dumbass, knows nothing about football and reeks of vinegar…purple douchebag.

37. purpleguy says: Oct 29, 2009 8:27 PM

Classic timing on the posts there mixman34. Here are some good old Bob Nelson type stats:
    Percy Harvin: 23 receptions, 285 yds, 2 TDs, and 23 returns, 685 yds, 2 TDs — listed as the number one NFC prospect for NFC offensive rookie of the year.
    BJ Raji: 6 tackles (4 solo, 2 assists) — listed as the NFC rookie most likely to warp and/or warm the bench and clog his team’s toilets while others actually play like NFLers.
    On the good side, he’s probably not as big of a bust as Hawk, Pickett or Brohm.

38. Popeye says: Oct 29, 2009 8:31 PM

I work for America’s team, so I break a ton of new stories associated with the NFL (Martellus Bennett trade rumor, T.O to Buffalo ect), you can rest assured that this is the truth.
    Harvin “allegedly”has Swine Flu. He is getting IV antibiotic treatments the last two weeks

39. Bob Loblaw says: Oct 29, 2009 8:32 PM

I could have predicted the tone of the comments before the first posting.
    Roughly 90% are people who acknowledge that migranes are a delibating ailment, and then Bob Nelson and JimmySmith chime in with the unoriginal “he’s high and/or avoiding a drug test” claim.
    Funny thing is the Packers would NEVER draft a guy in the first round who failed a drug test in college .. cough, cough.. B.J. Raji.
    And BTW Bob Nelson, Harvin did not “call in sick” and miss the Vikings rookie minicamp and NFL rookie symposium. He vomited at the aitport of the way to minicamp and was banned from flying by the airport authority, and attended the rookie symposium, and also was told to leave after throwing up.
    I’m not a migrane sufferer, but I hearthat for those that suffer the more sever varities, physically getting sick (i.e. throwing up) is a result. Being able to fight through that and still perform at an elite level throughout college and so far in the NFL is even more impressive.

40. LastYooper says: Oct 29, 2009 8:39 PM

Maybe the dude was smokin weed to relieve the migranes???? What kinda medical weed laws does minni have????

41. Philtration says: Oct 29, 2009 9:04 PM

When I have a migraine I get to drag my ass to work anyway and I don’t get paid millions of dollars to do it either.
    Man up crybaby.

42. DCViking says: Oct 29, 2009 9:04 PM

@purpleguy –
    Assuming you are refering to Ryan Pickett — he was actually drafted by the Rams. The Packers got him 2nd hand.
    I believe the DL you are going for is Justin Harrell who injured himself at Tenn, and has basically been unable to stay on the field.
    And let’s not forget using Bizarro Bob Nelson logic, that RJ Raji thought he was so good he didn’t even need to show up for the first two weeks of camp….

43. Xpensive Wino says: Oct 29, 2009 9:16 PM

Thank you for the update.
    For people who truly suffer from headaches and migraines, it is very frustrating that the medical profession does not really know that much about them. There are more theories than anything else. Finding the right medication can be tough.

44. ballhawk1 says: Oct 29, 2009 9:20 PM

Man I wish coaches would quit screwing around with this injury report stuff……Before you know it is going to be addressed by Hitler, I mean Goodell and the competition committee……then it turns into a real mess. Why is it that people are always looking for a way to stretch the envelope or find loop holes in stuff?? DAMN LAWYERS!

45. FireJerryJones says: Oct 29, 2009 9:54 PM

menstrual cramps on the IR?

46. laxcoach says: Oct 29, 2009 9:59 PM

cocktail flu. takes about 24 hours to clear up.

47. Beer Cheese Soup says: Oct 29, 2009 10:41 PM

This is really a non story. Harvin will play this week, and missing practice hasn’t seemed to hurt his play much up to this point, no reason it would now.

48. Satanic Hell Creature says: Oct 29, 2009 11:24 PM

If I were Percy Harvin, I’d get a restraining order on Bob Nelson. Bob’s obviously sitting in the tree outside of Percy’s window (probably naked and masturbating, using his own tears for lubrication). He knows more about Harvin’s daily activities than any Vikings fans do, and that’s kind of stalker scary.

49. bucc19 says: Oct 30, 2009 12:24 AM

50. Lost says: Oct 30, 2009 12:29 AM

Don’t tell me that Justin Harrell (sp?) is hurt again…

51. TeflonDon says: Oct 30, 2009 12:40 AM

# Jhitt81 says: October 29, 2009 7:06 PM
    This illness didn’t come about after renting a boat with some teammates did it?
    _________________________________
    most outdated and unfunny post i’ve seen in ages. didn’t even make sense. a true zero-star commenter.
    bob nelson – wasted words on a guy well-positioned to win rookie of the year. but wasted words are your thing, so dance on, my friend.
    mr. kush – you might be retarded. probably. yup, retarded.

52. PervyHarvin says: Oct 30, 2009 10:33 AM

bucc19 says: Migraines are a serious deal..and they are covered by the FMLA act as well, they can be very debilitaing..as far as Bob Nelson, Satan, that is as stalker scary as the Viking fans who still chime in about Mark Chumra and stupid shit like that..you Viking and Packer fans make the rest of the NFL fans look like Rhodes scholars. Why don’t you just admit that you are both from 2 F’d up midwest states that are mirror images of each other in every way, including obsessive fans that from both sides that could really use some serious therapy, and maybe move out from your parents house, (buy your own trailers!!) and perhaps find a girlfreind ..or boyfreind, as some of you woman folk form the sticks are about as crazy as your menfolk.
    ————————————————–
    ..boyfreind? girlfreind?? folk form the sticks? LOL You uneducated JACKASS, if you are going to tell us we are backwards,at least you could spell right huh? Don’t tell me it was on purpose either. Are you a Buccs fan?? LOL What freakin’ losers, no wonder you hate? You from Florida? I shouldn’t tease you,we all know that sports rule there,education is absent. I’m assuming you a Buccs fan because anyone else would be ashamed to have that part of their username. Assuming Florida because who the hell else would like the 3rd worst pro football team there. Viking and Packer fans are geniuses compared to wherever you are from turd nugget. Get back on your airboat Bobby Boucher and get out of a real game thread. Mama says….Mama says…you a tool

53. finsbooyah says: Oct 30, 2009 11:46 AM

I wonder if Harvin ever heard of Emergen-C

54. footballrulz says: Oct 30, 2009 11:46 AM

Get him Pervy.
    Thanks to tufar, Chickenfoot & DCVikes fan. It is possible to be a fan of one team and realize the talent of another (even if it has to be the Vikes–sorry couldn’t resist).
    SuperBowlVikes fan, again, you are an idiot!!

55. texasPHINSfan says: Oct 30, 2009 12:19 PM

bob nelson – he can be out ill every week, doesn’t change the fact he is putting up yards & TD’s. keep hating. I’m not even a vikes fan and i can appreciate his talent.
    “Xpensive Wino says:
    October 29, 2009 7:01 PM
    As a life-long migraine sufferer, I can tell you it sucks…………but I can also tell you that there are extremely effective prescription medications for migraines (with no side effects). Not to mention, anyone who has a history of suffering from migraines can tell pretty much from the onset what type of headache they’re going to be getting and what the severity will be. If you take your medication, it can be wiped out fairly quickly when you feel it coming on. With these recurring stories about something so manageable, my only question is this: why aren’t the Minnesota Vikings doctors or any other primary care physician he’s had or a specialist, not prescribing something for him?”
    you obviously are not very objective. you DO realize that these medications don’t work for everyone, right? I’m a chronic migraine sufferer and NO prescription medicine works for me, even actual migraine medications. consider yourself lucky that they work for you, but they are not 100% effective for everyone.

56. bucc19 says: Oct 31, 2009 1:17 AM

Yep, typical Viking fan talking all big, when your team has yet to win a SUPERBOWL and mine has!! The reason I call you Pack/Vike fans backwards is that no other fans on these blogs sit all day on this website spewing hateful vomit on each other. Why don’t you grow up and join the marines and take out that hate on the Taliban? Of course the Marines wouldn’t take you cuz your probably some fat-assed pimply faced no life loser still living with mama. Oh and, it’s PERCY HARVIN, I’m sure he “loves the fact that some basement dweller like you is calling him Pervy, and if your’re going to crtitize people’s spelling, take a look at your own loser.

57. PervyHarvin says: Oct 31, 2009 2:08 PM

@ buccwheat- Where to start with swamp rat??? Did my time in the Army punk at a high level but don’t brag or talk it here. Did you serve??? I think I know its PERCY toolbelt diva, he plays for my team. Sure he don’t mind,probably gets a kick out of seeing a fan using. Sure he isn’t all uptight like you sound chud. I think you are mad because the Buccs don’t have a rivalry like the great Vikes and Pack. Really,besides you and a few hundred other irrelevants,the Buccs don’t exist. And no,I don’t live in the basement. I did do yo’ momma in the basement though while you were out playing in the backyard! Didn’t you hear it? Well.got to go chip. Go to the other Percy thread bud. There is a great person you should meet. the one and only jorgay. Think you guys be a swell couple!!
    Adios turd nugget!