Pressure building on Saints

The New Orleans Saints can’t claim they’re not getting respect.

Though some skeptics might have remained before the 21-point thrashing of the Giants, any doubters have shut up in the wake of the 43-10 outburst against the Dolphins after spotting Miami a 21-point lead at home.

And now folks are heaping praise on the Saints.

Most recently, former Rams coach Mike Martz of NFL Network compared the 2009 Saints to their former NFC West rivals from St. Louis, circa 1999 through 2001.

Well I think they’re very similar,” Martz recently told ESPN Radio St. Louis regarding whether the Saints compare to the Greatest Show on Turf, via SportsRadioInterviews.com.  “I think the track is very quick that they play on down there.  I do think that the multiple receivers that they have, I don’t know if any one of the receivers is of the quality that we had in our top two guys.  But the quarterback is obviously a great player, he can get the ball out quick.

“I think they do so much that’s really hard to defend because they’ve got the quick step, the deep drop, the hard play-actions, they formation, they do all those things so well I think there’s a lot of similarities that I like to think we did as well.  They don’t have Marshall Faulk — they just don’t have him.  And I think that is probably the single most difference. And obviously Kurt [Warner] — you know how biased I am to our guys, so I just always felt like we had better players.  But I love [Sean] Payton and what he’s doing.  I think he’s very creative; I think he’s the top offensive mind in the league right now.  He takes advantage of his talent and the offensive line is real good.  They had that left tackle go down, they just filled in the ranks and kind of kept motoring.

“So they’re going to score a lot of points and I do believe they’ll be in the Super Bowl.  I think they have a real chance of doing that and that would be my pick.”

OK, so the compliment was sort of backhanded, with Martz reluctant to admit that this Saints team might be as good as the Rams teams with which Martz was associated.  Still, look for more analysts, journalists, and observers to continue to heap praise on the Saints — and for the pressure on this team to get to the Super Bowl and win it under circumstances when everyone now expects them to do so to only increase.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
17 Responses to “Pressure building on Saints”
  1. DukeBunswalker says: Oct 29, 2009 5:35 PM

On Monday night, the Falcons are going to drop an atomic thunderdump on all this hype.

2. whywerule says: Oct 29, 2009 5:38 PM

The Saints are peaking way too early, which is something they have in common with the Pats of 2007. And, unfortunately, the Pats of 2007 could not hang on to win the SB…another thing this Saints team will have in common with that Patriots team.

3. PFTiswhatitis says: Oct 29, 2009 5:45 PM

was sort of backhanded?

4. shamalamadingdong says: Oct 29, 2009 5:58 PM

Martz basically conceded Sean Payton is the superior coach

5. scomibord says: Oct 29, 2009 6:00 PM

DukeBunswalker says:
    With a name like that, I guess dumping is all you can comment about. Pluck ‘dem birds, we gonna have Falcon gumbo!!!

6. mannyfresh209 says: Oct 29, 2009 6:04 PM

lol the falcons gonna beat the saints? i’m a cowboys fan and as sad as my team’s looked this season they made the falcons look terrible…

7. veistran says: Oct 29, 2009 6:20 PM

I think its pretty fair to say they just don’t have Marshall Faulk. During that span he put up some of the best RB numbers of all time.

8. jimbofungus11 says: Oct 29, 2009 6:20 PM

If they follow the Path of the two other historically great offenses of the past decade, they will lose in the Super Bowl by 3 points to a team with a much, much weaker offense but a powerhouse defense.
    AFC teams that fit that profile:
    Steelers
    Broncos
    Jets
    For some reason I don’t think thats how its gonna go down. We’ll see on November 30th how real the Saints, and for that matter, the Patriots are.

9. leatherneck says: Oct 29, 2009 6:39 PM

Congratulations to the Saints for peaking out in October. Very impressive.

10. mannyfresh209 says: Oct 29, 2009 7:18 PM

leatherneck, you realize they were peaking in september, they’re peaking in october, they’ll roll through november as well.
    only challenge they’ll face will be new england, and that’s in the superdome.
    they face atl, car, tb, and stl before new england lol.
    and in december they play washington, atlanta, dallas, tampa, and carolina again.
    very easily could the saints “peak” through the entire regular season. and judging by the playoff contenders they’ve played so far this season they’ll “peak” through the playoffs as well.
    again, i’m a cowboys fan.

11. void777 says: Oct 29, 2009 8:31 PM

Baring a complete meltdown or a case of the big head this team has as good a chance to represent the NFC in the Super Bowl as any of the top teams.
    geaux saints

12. void777 says: Oct 29, 2009 8:35 PM

geaux saints

13. ncm42 says: Oct 29, 2009 8:41 PM

I’m sorry, I know this is not going to be a popular opinion, but my eyeball test suggests
    2009 Brees > 1999 Warner

14. FumbleNuts says: Oct 29, 2009 9:53 PM

Bottom Line: Saints will come marchin’ in and ground the birds BIG TIME!

15. d.b.cooper says: Oct 29, 2009 10:16 PM

The Saints will fold in the playoffs.
    Arizona will rep the NFC again in the big game.

16. SmackMyVickUp says: Oct 29, 2009 10:52 PM

Pats in 07 weren’t as hungry after winning a few SB’s. Saints have a solid defense and have won games with Brees throwing for 170 yards. They cannot be beat at home and have a good enough running game to be competitive outdoors in December.
    Sharper and Brees are both serious contenders for MVP, a team hungry for a Championship and a cakewalk of a schedule I wouldn’t crown them SB champs or undefeated just yet. They definitely have the best chance to be both this year though.
    Enough veterans to avoid a playoff choke, only see a major injury slowing this train down.

17. bucc19 says: Oct 29, 2009 11:46 PM

I hope the Saints go all the way..and I hope they do go 16-0 doing it too. What a great story that would be considering all the hardships of that franchise. Drew Brees and Sean Payton are class acts. With all the Vomit going on in the league ie. the neverending Cowboy Drama, T.O. the classless Favre fiasco, it would make for the feel good story of the year and give us all something to cheer for..and I’am a Buc’s fan..that being said, go Bucs , Gaux Saints!!!!!!!!!!!!!!