Cable accuses ESPN of not giving him a chance to respond

Raiders coach Tom Cable has issued a statement in response to ESPN’s Outside The Lines report regarding allegations that Cable had committed violence against a former wife and a former girlfriend.

“On only one occasion in my life have I ever touched a woman inappropriately,” Cable said in a statement read on the air by ESPN SportsCenter anchor Bob Ley.  “More than 20 years ago, during my first marriage, I became aware that my wife, Sandy, has committed adultery.  I became very angry and slapped her with an open hand.  What I did was wrong, and I have regretted and felt sorrow about that moment ever since. . . .

“The incident involving Ms. Lutz in which she came to my home uninvited was fully investigated by the Alameda police department and I cooperated fully with that investigation.  I never battered her in any way.  The police concluded correctly that I had done nothing wrong and that was the end of the matter.  It is most unfortunate that ESPN has given Miss Lutz this forum to revisit this incident when I did nothing wrong and . . . ESPN further chose not to provide me with an appropriate opportunity to respond.”

The allegation in the last sentence is significant.  If true, ESPN failed to follow one of the primary principles of investigative journalism — giving the subject of damaging allegations a chance to tell his side of the story.

The alleged failure of ESPN to give Cable an appropriate chance to respond becomes even more curious in light of the specific history between the Raiders and ESPN.  Last year, Chris Mortensen admitted that he failed to seek a comment from the Raiders regarding a story relating to the potential sale of controlling interest in the team.

“The Raiders have lost the privilege with me of running stories past
them for comment,” Mort said at the time.  “This stems from their history of denials to most
stories I have reported — as well as others in the media — when those
stories have eventually proven to be true.”  Mortensen later admitted that he was wrong, and he apologized to the Raiders.

Meanwhile, Mort now reports that the
league will soon issue a statement soon regarding the situation.  In the statement, the league will commit to reviewing the allegations to determine
whether Cable has committed any violations of the Personal Conduct
Policy.

As Mort points out, Goodell still hasn’t spoken to Cable regarding the allegations made by Raiders defensive assistant Randy Hanson.  Mort assumes that Goodell hasn’t spoken to Cable because he has been cleared by authorities of any criminal responsibility.

Still, and as we’ve pointed out a few times, the fact that Cable won’t face criminal punishment doesn’t mean he didn’t do something to result in the fracturing of Hanson’s jaw, and we continued to be astounded by the fact that the league has, by all appearances, failed to conduct its own thorough, in-person investigation of the situation.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
23 Responses to “Cable accuses ESPN of not giving him a chance to respond”
  1. ProfessorEmmitt says: Nov 1, 2009 10:57 AM

“They need to right the score to get revenge.”

2. hsf09 says: Nov 1, 2009 10:58 AM

Cable shouldnt be surprised. That is because you are the [head coach of the] Raiders and are not on the East Coast. And ESPN will report what they want to, whether we like it or not, whether it be true or false.

3. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Nov 1, 2009 10:58 AM

It’s hard to hold a microphone after you’ve been knocked silly.

4. bearsrule says: Nov 1, 2009 11:03 AM

The allegation in the last sentence is significant. If true, ESPN failed to follow one of the primary principles of investigative journalism — giving the subject of damaging allegations a chance to tell his side of the story.
    As I’ve posted before, the stink from this story doesn’t come from Cable alone. I do not condone violence towards anyone, but if a crazy ass ex-girlfriend shows up at my house at 5 in the freakin’ morning and refuses to leave, I might help her out with assistance from one of her arms. As for ESPN, they make up the rules as they go along. Thdey could care less about giving Tom Cable a chance to respond. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but I’m on Cable’s side on this.

5. jakethesnake says: Nov 1, 2009 11:12 AM

The story was totally one-sided – except at the end where Cable’s lawyers were able to get his ex-wife to send the email to ESPN stating Cable was never violent during their marriage. The guy may have a problem, but he should have been given a chance to respond…

6. antneejay2 says: Nov 1, 2009 11:13 AM

It wasn’t right that ESPN didn’t give Cable a chance to give his side of the story. If I was him I’d start breaking some jaws.

7. dlodown1 says: Nov 1, 2009 11:35 AM

Hey Tommy….You are sad ass excuse of a human being. Knowbody could be a better fit for the sorry ass Raider organization than you. You are exactly where you should be in life chump! Charma is a bitch, and so is Al Davis……..

8. Junior says: Nov 1, 2009 11:42 AM

Shocking that ESPN wouldn’t let Cable say his side… oh wait, it’s not shocking at all, ESPN writes their own rules. 20 plus years later and this woman finally feels the need to get Cable help? It’s amazing what a chance in front of the camera and a little cash will do. ESPN is pathetic.
    That does not excuse Cable’s actions by any means. The timing just smells fishy to me.
    Let it go Florio. The NFL isn’t going to do anything about the Cable/Hanson altercation. The reason is simple. If the NFL stepped in everytime there was a scuffle between coaches, somebody would be suspended every week.
    To think that these altercations don’t happen is ignorant.
    Hanson’s injury was unfortunate. But by the accounts of the people in the room other than Hanson, it was an accident. You’re free to feel otherwise, and keep crying about it but it’s obvious nobody at the NFL listens to you so leave it alone.

9. Sporkdevil says: Nov 1, 2009 11:43 AM

How did he not get a chance to respond? The response from his lawyer was in the segment.
    I do find it hilarious that of all the coaches in the league, you would expect it to be the coach of the Raiders. It doesn’t matter who is actually the coach, I will always guess the Raiders.

10. StevieMo says: Nov 1, 2009 11:45 AM

I bet Cable’s pissed, so we’ll see who he punches out today before his attorney denies it.
    I’m hoping it’s JaMarcus.

11. Jdog says: Nov 1, 2009 11:47 AM

Cable did in fact make a response to the allegations but nobody could understand what he was saying because his mouth was wired shut.

12. geek says: Nov 1, 2009 11:48 AM

His current wife was able to get the opportunity to respond, and did so. Are you telling me that Cable didn’t get a chance to respond, but his wife did? Excluding his perspective was either clearly deliberate (and his wife was in on it), he and his wife don’t talk, or he had the opportunity but wanted to consult his lawyer before responding (and they ran the story before he responded). I think the subject would have come up at my dinner table if my wife got that call – especially before she responded. So, I wonder how it is that she responded and he didn’t get the chance to do so.

13. Dawn says: Nov 1, 2009 11:48 AM

“If true, ESPN failed to follow one of the primary principles of investigative journalism — giving the subject of damaging allegations a chance to tell his side of the story. ”
    This is something new? I wonder what their Ombudsman will say about this.

14. INVAIDUH says: Nov 1, 2009 11:57 AM

Everyone wants equal rights ’till they can’t take a punch…
    F–# ESPN

15. elduderino13 says: Nov 1, 2009 12:02 PM

Didn’t see the report. Normally, if someone – in this case Cable – was contacted but chose not to respond, the news organization says exactly that: We contacted Cable, who chose not to respond. It’s pretty much CYA.

16. Backinthesaddle says: Nov 1, 2009 12:08 PM

This is nothing more than a hatchet job by ESPN.
    DESPICABLE.

17. IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace says: Nov 1, 2009 12:11 PM

Nobody should really be surprised that BSPN would do this given their total lack of moral authority.
    They can’t even keep their own house clean and I’m sure if they dig deep enough into some of their so-called ‘on-air personalities’ personal lives they would find the same transgressions.
    Typical for BSPN and just adds to the already expansive list of why I only watch BSPN when they are televising a college game I want to see.
    And as for you ‘dlodown1′, you’re the little bitch (and learn how to spell karma idiot).

18. SFrancis1680 says: Nov 1, 2009 12:24 PM

didn’t he give MARK SCHLERETH his version of the Randy Hanson incident? SCHLERETH ran with it, because they were roommates in college at Iowa, so it’s not like he doesn’t have his own pipeline to ESPN. don’t want to sound like i’m defending ESPN cause a lot of their FOOTBALL EXPERTS are windbags

19. RaiderChile says: Nov 1, 2009 12:32 PM

If Florio was a good lawyer, he would still practice instead of playing the wanna be football guru. ESPN could call out the Raiders all they want. The sooner Davis with all these losers running the Raiders are gone is a good thing and I welcome it!

20. Hugh says: Nov 1, 2009 1:05 PM

ESPN failed to follow one of the primary principles of investigative journalism?
    Really? I am surprised.
    /sarcasm

21. bearsrule says: Nov 1, 2009 1:09 PM

# SFrancis1680 says: November 1, 2009 12:24 PM
    They were teammates at Idaho. Neither one is smart enough to gain admission to a Big Ten school.

22. rockotica says: Nov 1, 2009 1:19 PM

espn is cheese central. chris berman for example; hes doing commercials for that weight loss meal in a box bullshit, and then the next minute he’s scarfing down cheese fries at chilis or tgifs or one of those. and not to mention everyones banging each other in the middle of nowhere.

23. 1nationraidernation says: Nov 3, 2009 1:19 AM

BSPN is the mecca of raider haters. All they have on staff is a bunch of ex so so players who the raiders all beat the crap out of when they played.
    Raider should sue them just because they can.