Raiders promise "serious evaluation" of allegations against Cable

The Oakland Raiders have issued a statement regarding the recent allegations of past domestic violence made against Raiders coach Tom Cable by a former wife and a former girlfriend.

“Over the last few days, we learned of the allegations made against Coach
Cable and we are, of course, aware of his response thereto,” the statement says.  “In conjunction
with the League office, we will undertake a serious evaluation of this
matter.

“We wish to be clear that we do not in any way condone or accept actions
such as those alleged.”

The statement also seems to imply that the Raiders are willing to take strong action against Cable, if the team determines that strong action is warranted.

“There have been occasions on which we have dismissed Raider
employees for having engaged in inappropriate conduct,” the statement reads.  “For reasons of
privacy, we kept the basis for those dismissals confidential.  We endured
public opprobrium for the dismissals, all the while knowing our basis for
them was appropriate.”

The team apparently is referring to dismissals other than the dismissal of former coach Lane Kiffin, who was fired very publicly, with detailed reasons provided by owner Al Davis.

I know this because I looked it up.

I looked it up because I had no idea what it meant.

And it’s too damn bad I took the SAT 27 years ago.

Permalink 26 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Legal, Oakland Raiders, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
26 Responses to “Raiders promise "serious evaluation" of allegations against Cable”
  1. HarrisonHits says: Nov 2, 2009 7:30 PM

Thanks Tiki.

2. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Nov 2, 2009 7:37 PM

Posted by Mike Florio on November 2, 2009 7:25
    I know this because I looked it up.
    I looked it up because I had no idea what it meant.
    And it’s too damn bad I took the SAT 27 years ago.”
    I’m not at all impressed with the word opprobrium.
    If anyone wants to impress me, find a way to work “anopheles” into the conversation. For that one, I’ll do backflips on youtube.

3. JMClarkent says: Nov 2, 2009 7:39 PM

Hopefully it is a different group than the folsk who evaluate the “talent”.

4. tombrookshire says: Nov 2, 2009 7:41 PM

How does past domestic abuse rise to the level of scrutiny when a current allegation of assault on an employee doesn’t even garner a peep out of the organization. If I was that employee I would be on my way to owning the Raiders and making ing Cable the janitor.

5. Gary says: Nov 2, 2009 7:43 PM

Cable is a gonner. This will happen quick….time for Al to hire someone who can coach? Oh yea, this is Al Davis, not going to happen…..

6. stiller43 says: Nov 2, 2009 7:43 PM

Maybe their PR guy has a work of the day calender and tried to find a way to fit it into the day’s business?

7. comment_submission_error says: Nov 2, 2009 7:46 PM

Florio admits:
    I know this because I looked it up.
    Amy Trask probably pulled that noun out of her ass and handed it to a flunky while she was ordering lunch, Florio. Work harder, get smarter.

8. INVAIDUH says: Nov 2, 2009 7:46 PM

So all this happened before he was hired?
    Guess they were only looking at his forty time.
    R. Nation.

9. East Bay Ray says: Nov 2, 2009 7:52 PM

Florio wrote: “By the way, “opprobrium” is “public disgrace or ill fame that follows from conduct considered grossly wrong or vicious.”
    “Grossly wrong”: that is a perfect way to describe the Raiders performance thus far this year. “Public disgrace” works too.

10. MLA handbook says: Nov 2, 2009 7:54 PM

mmmm, tiki-pedia.

11. RaiderMight says: Nov 2, 2009 8:04 PM

That Raiders response seems so uncharacteristically PC. They always respond with “It’s an internal matter and will be dealing with it internally.”
    Sounds like they are leaving themselves and out if they choose to fire Cable for “cause” before the Bye is over.

12. 56lightsout56 says: Nov 2, 2009 9:04 PM

didnt Dookie Davenport take a SAT in a hamper and committ an opprobrium, Florio?
    man you missed that one ya scrub

13. drowningboy says: Nov 2, 2009 9:10 PM

Tom Cable: Caveman?

14. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Nov 2, 2009 9:27 PM

One thing’s for sure, Al Davis will definitely look into these allegations immediately.
    If he finds something, Cable will be gone, and fast.
    He will NOT tolerate any acts of violence towards women, no way.
    Allegedly hitting another coach is nothing compared to this for Al Davis.

15. DanielV says: Nov 2, 2009 9:55 PM

Am I misunderstanding something or did he misuse the word “opprobrium”. It seems to be perceived that they were given public disgrace because their own actions appeared to be grossly wrong or vicious. The definition states that the disgrace and ill fame follows conduct that is considered grossly wrong or vicious. Thus, their conduct (these dismissals) is considered grossly wrong or vicious, so they suffered public disgrace. Therefore they would acknowledge that they messed up in the past with their firings. (Which firing would be be referring to: Lane Kiffin, Art Shell, or any of the other coaches given the boot since Gruden) I must also confess, I’m not sure if the second stint for Art Shell was after Gruden or not.
    I flipped through my word a day calendar and that one wasn’t on it. Today’s word on my calendar is facetious. Perhaps this statement from the Raiders is supposed to be facetious.

16. VonClausewitz says: Nov 2, 2009 10:38 PM

This is the right thing to do for everyone involved. If Cable didn’t do anything this incident can go away and his name will be cleared. It’s a hell of a lot better than letting him twist in the wind or having this cloud hang over the team. And it gives a little honor back to a team which needs it.

17. Raider Pride says: Nov 2, 2009 11:12 PM

comment_submission_error Idiotically Posted:
    “Amy Trask probably pulled that noun out of her ass and handed it to a flunky while she was ordering lunch.”
    Now there is an intelligent post!
    I am sure you have no idea what Amy has accomplished in her life to obtain her position she holds.
    I forgive you though….
    Some times the mind, for no specific reason, just wonders off to the store for a quart of milk.

18. 1nationraidernation says: Nov 3, 2009 1:17 AM

please call John Gruden now.

19. anthony says: Nov 3, 2009 1:56 AM

And Al would like to address the media to announce the new HEAD Coach of the Oakland Raiders…. Jon Gruden~
    Chucky Is baaaacccckkkkk!!

20. Kevin from Philly says: Nov 3, 2009 7:44 AM

On the contrary, Florio – if you had to do the SAT now, it would include essay questions. Hard to get those right when you only write three paragraphs at a time.
    That Al Davis spreads discontent and misbehavior through the Raiders organization like an anopheles gambiae. Start flipping, asswipe.

21. rdollie says: Nov 3, 2009 7:52 AM

I think the Raider’s problems start at the top and the lack of discipline/ethics at the top have the same parasitic effect on the organization as the Anopheles mosquito here in the tropics.

22. TylerDurden says: Nov 3, 2009 8:58 AM

“There have been occasions on which we have dismissed Raider employees for having engaged in inappropriate conduct,” the statement reads. “For reasons of privacy, we kept the basis for those dismissals confidential. We endured public opprobrium for the dismissals, all the while knowing our basis for them was appropriate.” – This statement is referring to John Fox. He was a drunk.

23. Quagmire says: Nov 3, 2009 9:51 AM

Whoever wrote the Raiders statement must be be a sesquipedalian.

24. Brewster says: Nov 3, 2009 10:53 AM

The public opprobrium is misplaced.
    They should only endure as much “public Opprobrium” for their draft choices of the past 15 years as they have for whatever reason they were referring to in that press release.

25. tallfezq says: Nov 3, 2009 12:17 PM

This just in!!!
    The NFL wants the names of all the people that won money on the Eagles/Raider game.

26. comment_submission_error says: Nov 3, 2009 8:46 PM

Raider Pride says: November 2, 2009 11:12 PM
    comment_submission_error Idiotically Posted:
    Now there is an intelligent post!
    ======
    Read it again, Shakespeare. What I was saying is Trask has a better vocabulary/memory than Florio. Try to keep up. The Internet is counting on you.