Childress talks about Favre's groin

Our pal Brooks of the aptly-named SportsByBrooks.com has shared with us a video of Vikings coach Brad Childress’ Monday comments to the media in the wake of Sunday’s win over the Packers.

In the video, Childress comments on quarterback Brett Favre’s groin.

The best way to appreciate the thing is to watch the video, since Childress somehow manages to maintain, for the most part, a straight face while uttering these words:  “I was standing right behind him while he was warming up and saw him kind of reach for . . . reach for his groin and, you know, hold it and whatever you do with a groin.  Rub it.  That what I think I witnessed.  It twinged a little bit on him.”

So we wonder whether Childress then asked Favre, “Do you have a groin injury or are you just really happy to be back at Lambeau Field?”

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Childress talks about Favre's groin”
  1. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 3, 2009 10:17 AM

Missed the part where Jon Gruden ran down and offered to help Favre rub it. Saw Gruden on the field during warmups to the Viqueens Packers game, just didn’t realize what he was doing until now.
    Also wonder if Chilly offered to dress up in drag again to “witness” Favre rubbing his groin and whatever else goes on in that locker room. Maybe he wanted to wrestle a bit , who knows with these Viqueers.

2. WorldsGreatestBearFan says: Nov 3, 2009 10:21 AM

Good thing Madden wasn’t there. He may have offered to “help” Brett out this that groin. That seems like what it was when he was announcing.

3. PervyHarvin says: Nov 3, 2009 10:25 AM

Perfect time for a bye week. I watched the game again yesterday,without beer goggles. I seen Favre make many moves that would indicate a pain in the old yarbles region.

4. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Nov 3, 2009 10:26 AM

Favre was really favoring the groin during the game, he could barely move out there.
    You know he wanted to run and tackle his receivers after his TD passes

5. leatherneck says: Nov 3, 2009 10:31 AM

Have you guys even had a groin injury? Do you know how much pain that causes?

6. Champs says: Nov 3, 2009 10:36 AM

So we’ve finally crossed the Madden line of talking about everything but Brett Favre’s groin. Terry Bradshaw is rolling in his grave.

7. Quagmire says: Nov 3, 2009 10:38 AM

As he was reaching for his groin, Farve was overheard mumbling:
    “Oh Mrs. Crane, you’re a little monkey woman. Yeah, you’re lean, mean, and I bet you’re not too far in between are ya. How’d you like to wrap your spikes around my…”

8. BornSlippy says: Nov 3, 2009 10:46 AM

Favre is such an underatted hero. How heroic that before he goes back to lambeau and throws 4 td’s, he did it with a ripped groin. Im sure he wouldnt make it up to try to add to the lore. Its not as if he tries t0 make up drama when h wins, and injuries when he loses. Not unsimilar to big ben who tells everyone but his team that hes supposedly injured before every big game.

9. MrHumble says: Nov 3, 2009 10:47 AM

I heard the Mayor of Green Bay is putting up another new road sign, this one is called………..”FAVRE’S WAY”

10. bluestree says: Nov 3, 2009 10:48 AM

Chilly’s dress, Farve’s groin, Madden’s nose in Farve’s butt, Gruden cold cock’s Madden to get to Farve’s rear. Why can’t somebody just hire Ray Lewis to mash these guys into a pulp so we can talk football?

11. Fan_Of_ Four says: Nov 3, 2009 11:01 AM

Way to go scoop…this story is only about thirty hours old. Admit it, you just wanted to try and be witty with Do you have a groin injury or are you just really happy to be back at Lambeau Field?”

12. danlinker says: Nov 3, 2009 11:18 AM

bait article from a spoiled brat that didn’t get his way Sunday. (Florio).

13. Beer N Donuts says: Nov 3, 2009 11:19 AM

Congratulations to the Vikings on their sweep of my beloved Green Bay Packers. It appears to be a Vikings win-win-win this weekend. Favre got what he wanted, the Vikes have what amounts to a 3 game lead in the division, and, I don’t know if this is a win or not, but Childress watched Favre rub his groin.
    There are four Favre-related questions remaining for the Vikings:
    1. Now that the GB games are done, will Favre remain emotionally invested? The best thing for Favre will be to have GB play well and secure a playoff spot so he can stay focused and try to knock them out of the playoffs as well.
    2. Will Favre’s play drop after Thanksgiving like it has for the last 10 years or so? Forget last year. Favre has been an ordinary December and January QB for years. This should be mostly offset by Minny’s running game, but the same could be said for Green Bay in both 2007 and the 4th-and-26 year.
    3. Will the Vikings fans accept a one and done from Favre if Minnesota wins the SB? Fans don’t like mercenary players, but the euphoria of winning it all should offset any second thoughts until Favre goes into the HOF as a Packer (assuming he goes into the Hall as a Packer). For most fans, it won’t diminish the NFL title one bit, but it will leave an uneasy feeling for some Vikes fans, especially if that’s the only SB they win during the Adrian Peterson era.
    4. If the Vikes lose in the playoffs, will they be subjected to the same flip-flop routine that Favre pulled in both Green Bay and New York as he wrestles with whether or not he wants to try to go for the Elway again? Ummm, yes.

14. Wiscdave says: Nov 3, 2009 11:21 AM

leatherneck makes a good point. I suspect that aside from carpal tunnel syndrome, most of these posters and Florio have no idea of the pain these and other injuries cause, and what it takes to play through them. Fewer still know firsthand about rehab after surgery. I’d like to see Florio go through a session on the Biodex.

15. footballrulz says: Nov 3, 2009 11:21 AM

Thanks Mike–best laugh I’ve had in a while.

16. Deb says: Nov 3, 2009 11:43 AM

@BornSlippy ….
    Just two questions:
    1. How did Favre get his father to go along with faking his death so he could appear heroic?
    2. How did Big Ben get all those cops, paramedics, and surgeons to go along with faking a near-death motorcycle collision and an emergency appendectomy?
    BornSlippy, huh? And things have gone downhill from there.

17. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Nov 3, 2009 11:44 AM

This place is full of kids, Dave, it’s what kids do nowadays.
    You know, parents know nothing, they know everything, old people should just roll over and die, someone gets injured and it’s funny, ect…ect…

18. gooboy6 says: Nov 3, 2009 11:47 AM

Chilly is the perfect expert to comment on Bart’s groin after he was upclose and personal in that area during their courtship in July

19. BornSlippy says: Nov 3, 2009 11:56 AM

Nothing to do with big bens accident, numerous times after interception he checks his hand in pain, and says he was injured when the coaches deny it.

20. Deb says: Nov 3, 2009 12:09 PM

@BornSlippy …
    First you said Ben tells everyone but the coaches that he’s injured before every big game. Now you’re saying it’s not that–it’s that he checks his hand in pain after he throws an interception and the coaches deny he was injured. Neither is true. Shaking out your hand is not the same as claiming an injury. Ben has NEVER claimed an injury that Pittsburgh’s coaches have denied. In fact, his coaches should have been kicked to Alaska and back for allowing him to play so soon after that near-death collision followed by the emergency appendectomy. He wasn’t 100 percent and the wrong kind of hit could have been life-threatening. He is anything but a crybaby.
    In the last couple of years, Ben has gotten into the habit of taking full responsibility for team losses whether or not they were solely his fault. You just don’t like Ben. That’s fine. But you’re throwing out stuff without any factual basis to back it up.

21. tufar says: Nov 3, 2009 12:22 PM

In answer to your list beerand… ( are you Bob Nelson?)
    1. Your theory then is that Favre only got emotionaly involved to beat the Pack? He has five other wins don’t forget.
    2. Will it be a cold winter again? Will you get H1N1? Who knows? Using your observations of Favre based on what happened in the past does not always predict the future. One difference might just be that he’s on a different team playing in his first year with them. Don’t come back with “yeah but with the Jets last year” etc. etc, he was injured and tried to play through it.
    3. I’m a long time Vikes fan and Super Bowl win with anyone at QB is what I want.
    4. Who cares about that sort of speculation at this time. Only a Pack fan would dream that one up at this time. Just because the “now” is not working for the Pack, why try to prognosticate
    the “future” for the Vikes based on flimsy whimsy….I don’t get it. Really, you should be worried about the Packers future and whether your QB will survive the year.

22. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Nov 3, 2009 12:24 PM

That is simply an example off the top of my head, not saying bornslappy is right or wrong, but I am saying that the rib injury fiasco in fact, did happen

23. sand0 says: Nov 3, 2009 12:26 PM

Childress has such a dry sense of humor. He has the ability to use some of the most bizarre word selection and drop it straight faced onto reporters that don’t even realize that he is trying to be funny.
    He started it year 1 when he kept commenting on how he wanted to rub Chester Taylor up into a thick lather. That was how to handle runningbacks. Work them into a lather. Meanwhile we are sitting there wondering what the hell that even means. He means to give them a lot of carries to get them into a groove or whatever but the word choice…
    Every year he’s saying silly stuff like this to reporters. Guy is just weird. Dresses like a woman to ease nerves on the Pitt flight. I guarantee his Favre groin word selection was his dry humor coming out yet again. Inside he was laughing histerically at his own weird humor.
    Pretty solid coach. Gets his guys to play hard and took a franchise from laughability to top NFC North team in 4 seasons. Guy knows how to build a winning club. His only mistake really was wiffing on TJack.
    But on the other hand he sure is one weird dude. Like really weird.

24. mixman34 says: Nov 3, 2009 12:32 PM

@ Beer N Donuts
    He will be emotionally invested until he slams that Lombardi Trophy down TTs throat. It wasn’t all about sweeping the Pack in the regular season, he wants the hardware and ride off into the sunset with a sign on his back saying ‘I Told You So’

25. Milhouse says: Nov 3, 2009 12:42 PM

I’m pretty sure that was his audition for a Coors Light commercial.

26. msnyder275 says: Nov 3, 2009 1:10 PM

Please, please please stop teasing me like this!!!
    Sincerely
    Tony Kornheiser

27. Deb says: Nov 3, 2009 1:18 PM

Oh, Bill Cowher’s Chin, I wish you hadn’t done that. Now I’m going to have to go look it up and I sooo don’t have time today. I’m headed out the door now and have deadline after dealine when I get back. Sigh. Okay, BornSlippy, I’ll go with the Chin on this one. But BB doesn’t have to invent heroics–he’s one of the gutsier QBs out there.
    Eeek–gotta run!!!!

28. Lazy2 says: Nov 3, 2009 1:29 PM

You apparently missed an excellent chance for a Seinfeld clip. ” I think it moved” ( George Costanza )

29. footballrulz says: Nov 3, 2009 1:56 PM

@ tufar
    “Really, you should be worried about the Packers future and whether your QB will survive the year”.
    You could not be morcorrect.
    @ Sando
    Agree about Chilly’s humor–the way he paused before he said “rub it”–absloutely hilarious.

30. footballrulz says: Nov 3, 2009 1:56 PM

More correct, tufar, I meant more correct

31. LeagueObsrvr says: Nov 3, 2009 2:10 PM

I’ll bet Bradley Forehead felt a little “twinge” as well…

32. spyboots says: Nov 3, 2009 2:18 PM

@ Bill Cowher’s Chin, who said:
    “Sorry Deb, but I remember a Big Ben talking about his rib injury, leading up to the SB against the Cardinals. And Mike Tomlin denied denied denied that there was any such injury……”
    Yes, because the x-rays were negative, so the coach thought there was no injury.
    However, on an MRI done AFTER the Super Bowl, it was discovered he had broken rib(s), attributed to the hit he took (helmet to the right side of his back) in the AFC Championship game.
    So Ben was right.

33. Deb says: Nov 3, 2009 4:19 PM

@Mike Florio …
    Who on earth have you left in charge today?!? I know YOUR sensibilities aren’t that delicate!
    Good grief, whoever you are, do you read PFT? Have you seen the language that gets posted here? I’ve never even posted a curse word unless I was quoting someone else or it was part of another person’s user name. As football bloggers go, I’m pretty ladylike! All I said to leatherneck was that for once I can’t argue with him. That’s all I said–and you keep blocking it. I think the man already knows we’re anatomically different and that I can’t personally identify with Farve’s, um, discomfort! Trust me, the men posting here won’t be shocked by my little joke (she rolls her eyes).

34. Deb says: Nov 3, 2009 6:02 PM

@spyboots … Thank you!!

35. ScottThompson1982 says: Nov 8, 2009 7:46 PM

The Question is who has a bigger groin Aaron Rodgers or Favre?