Chris Johnson lacks no confidence

Titans running back Chris Johnson, whose 228-yard rushing performance on Sunday helped his team to its first win since Titans running back LenDale White cleaned his cleats with a certain yellow towel, is suddenly feeling a little confident.

And Johnson isn’t bashful about saying so.

On Tuesday, Johnson told Sporting News Radio’s The Monty Show that the Titans’ one-game winning streak could become a 10-game winning streak.

“We really believe like we can,” Johnson said.  “Before we played Jacksonville we sat down and was like we really feel like we can go 10-0 in these last ten games.  And if we can do that hopefully get a wild card, I’m not sure how all that would work out.  But we’re still going to practice and going to work each day.  We got to go, we still want to make the playoffs and we know it’s going to be a very tough thing to do but that’s what records are for, they’re meant to be broken.  I don’t think a team that ever started out 0-6 ever went to the playoffs or anything like that.  We’re trying to do something nobody’s ever done.”

Chris, your team has won one game.  Your team was beaten by 59 points in the last loss before the win.  Try to get the winning streak to at least two before even thinking about winning 10.

But, then again, Johnson’s delusion isn’t confined to team goals.  For himself, he envisions a level of fame that few NFL running backs ever achieve.

“Every time I play I just want to be mentioned in the names like, when people mention guys like LeBron James, and Kobe Bryant, guys like that,” Johnson said.  “I want to be up there on that level.”

And Johnson realizes that, to make that happen, he needs to continue to get most of the tailback touches, at the expense of LenDale White.

“If I want my name to be up there with Jordan and Kobe and LeBron and those guys, then that’s how it’s got to be.  Me being the player that I am and me being the running back that I am, or any person that wants the ball, I don’t think they’d be like, ‘I wish I didn’t get as many carries, I wish somebody would take carries away from me.’  I don’t think Jordan or Kobe was ever like, ‘I wish somebody could take come of my points.’  When Kobe scored 81 he wasn’t like I wish this player could have some of those points. . . .  Not at all.”

It sounds to us like Chris Johnson maybe should have played basketball.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Chris Johnson lacks no confidence”
  1. SaintsBucsPanthersSUKK says: Nov 3, 2009 9:53 PM

I ain’t no Engrish teachur or nothin, but the title sounds a bit awkward. Something like “Chris Johnson has no lack of confidence” or “Chris Johnson isn’t lacking for confidence” sounds better. Out.

2. Hooby says: Nov 3, 2009 9:56 PM

thats the problem with 90% of nfl players, theyre all either stupid or douchebags. in this case, you have both.

3. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 3, 2009 9:56 PM

I’m sure some players on the Rams might be talking about a 10 game win streak and making the playoffs, although no one will take them serious. No reason to play if you don’t have confidence in your team winning, unless you play for the Raiders and just want to collect a check.
    Still unsure if he can handle the full load all season, but he did break a few tackles on a few of his runs. Little guy is running as tough as ever.

4. jonboy_the_titan says: Nov 3, 2009 10:07 PM

I must be missing something here because I see no problem with his comments. What’s the guy supposed to say? “Yeah we are just going to shoot for mediocrity and finish out the season around 4-12.”
    Let’s blast a guy for wanting to be a great NFL player.
    Gimme a break Florio.

5. goJags says: Nov 3, 2009 10:15 PM

With all due respect to CJ on his talents who currently btw is the best running back after AP, doesn’t he sound like TOish?

6. The Van Buren Boys says: Nov 3, 2009 10:16 PM

7. jamalsagod says: Nov 3, 2009 10:17 PM

Lame analysis. I can’t begin to imagine how a player would do in the NFL if he lacked confidence, and I’m sure Titans fans appreciate it.
    Get a clue Florio, and kudos to Johnson for not giving up on the season.
    FYI, he is averaging almost 7 yards a carry. That IS Lebron and Kobe-esque.

8. NYTitansFan says: Nov 3, 2009 10:21 PM

this article is pathetic..yeah real cool lets blast the guy for have a great work ethic and for trying to boost up his teammates morale

9. Albatross says: Nov 3, 2009 10:44 PM

I’m a Vikings/Adrian Peterson fan, but I love this guy’s comments and confidence. He’s a terrific player, and if his team can come back and win 10 in a row and make the playoffs, that would be an all-time great story. Go for it.

10. titanbo11 says: Nov 3, 2009 10:44 PM

I think theses guys can run off 10 in a row too. The only powerhouse they have left is Indy. The Titans have handled the colts pretty well lately. This is a superbowl contender who just got down and snowballed. now they are confident. They won 10in a row last year. Confidence does a lot for a team.

11. Eem says: Nov 3, 2009 10:46 PM

Florio obviously still holds a grudge because he passed on CJ to draft Clinton Portis and Brandon Jacobs in his fantasy leagues.

12. IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace says: Nov 3, 2009 10:47 PM

Have any of you actually heard this mush-mouth try to speak on camera? Just proves that the NCAA is a total frickin’ joke – how these reggins get out of college with degrees is beyond me.

13. Rogersworthe says: Nov 3, 2009 11:07 PM

@IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace
    He has a speech impediment and a learning disability, along with social anxiety and a facial tick in which for him to get over and do interviews he has to speak in a staccato rhythm.
    Nice job mocking him though. Douchebag.

14. Slow Joe says: Nov 3, 2009 11:28 PM

I’d take him on my team.
    I’d just try to get him to shut up.

15. NFLJunkie says: Nov 3, 2009 11:31 PM

Who has better hair, Jim Rome or Florio?

16. IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace says: Nov 4, 2009 12:01 AM

Way to stick up for him Rogersdouche – he doesn’t have a speech impediment or a learning disability you frickin’ idiot. I do believe though, that you have no clue of how the real world works – guess another one has you believing…keep on keepin’ on, moron.

17. ZombieRevolution says: Nov 4, 2009 12:01 AM

Nominee for # 1 awkward PFT headline of the year (so far): “Chris Johnson lacks no confidence”

18. jordan4440 says: Nov 4, 2009 12:11 AM

Revise and edit your articles Florio. How the hell do you have a job?
    ‘I wish somebody could take come of my points.’
    You are being paid to do a job and with mistakes like this and the bashing of a player who just wants to be as great as he can be is just wrong. He has confidence in himself as well as his team and you bash him. You’re the Eric Mangini of journalism.

19. KissTheBaby says: Nov 4, 2009 12:26 AM

Florio I want to punch you to. No confidence in the NFL??? Come On Man. Booo to this article.

20. george says: Nov 4, 2009 12:32 AM

It’s sad for somebody like you, IWanttoPunch…., that apparently has enough brain power to write in legible sentences, but is actually just another stupid racist.
    It is a fact that the lack of education and social skills are the primary traits of haters like you. Your use of “reggins” may be code to you and the rest of your cretin pals but it is obvious to anybody with a brain.
    You have no room to call anyone an idiot, scumbag!!

21. Canyonero says: Nov 4, 2009 12:35 AM

Yeah, it’d be nice if he mentioned a football player or two in there, but CJ is regularly ripping off big games.. And he’s doing it on a lousy team. I dig his confidence.
    If he keeps it up he could be a Hall of Fame candidate, and while some cough up their Yoo-Hoo over that consider other great backs that never really won anything, Sanders, even Tomlinson (hate to say it). All CJ needs is several more years of what he’s already doing.
    Maybe Johnson will win 5 Super Bowls, I don’t know, but it’s foolish to disregard what he says because he hasn’t won one yet. He’s proving to be a great player.

22. Tru Phenom says: Nov 4, 2009 12:49 AM

“IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace says:
    November 3, 2009 10:47 PM
    There is no way these idiots have the academic credentials to get passing grades. All you need is athletic ability and you too can slide through classes as long as you are an asset to the alumni.”
    You do understand he has some disabilities, right? I mean you can tell he has something (maybe torretts?) when he is just standing on the sidelines.
    As for the article. Horrible piece. What the hell is Chris Johnson supposed to say? “You win some, you lose some?” I want my team player saying that he feels that the team will finish 10-0. Thats confidence in your teammates and in your ability to win. He didn’t guarantee anything, he just said that if everyone keeps working then the team can finish 10-0. Nothing wrong with that Florio. He is quite possibly the best runningback in the league. Stop hating on him before you have to eat crow later.

23. bruce says: Nov 4, 2009 2:24 AM

Doesn’t he realize that he is facing the #2 run D this weekend???

24. MrSalamander says: Nov 4, 2009 2:59 AM

The hell is the problem here?
    What would you sh¡t talkin’ fools say if his statement was, “Well… it’s only one game – no sense in getting too confident,” eh?
    You’d call him a spoiled quitter or something. Make up your collective mind, Society of Never Was: You want quitters or people who never quit?
    What a bunch of dipsh¡ts.

25. Claudio says: Nov 4, 2009 4:58 AM

Rogersworthe says:
    November 3, 2009 11:07 PM
    @IWanttoPunchFloriointheFace
    Nice job mocking him though. Douchebag.
    Actually that’s just called being ghetto, but whatever makes you feel better.

26. Lombardi 6 says: Nov 4, 2009 6:19 AM

This douchebag talks like a wide receiver..

27. BenRapistberger says: Nov 4, 2009 6:34 AM

Personally, I love this guy. That might have something to do with him having been on my fantasy team last year as a late round sleeper.
    That being said, I respect his abilities and his confidence.

28. clubfoot says: Nov 4, 2009 8:33 AM

“lacks no confidence” Florio. You are suppose to be a professional. Responding to criticism by sending emails that they are douche bags for pointing out your laughable use of the english language “shows no lack of childishness”.

29. Furrski says: Nov 4, 2009 8:45 AM

“Way to stick up for him Rogersdouche – he doesn’t have a speech impediment or a learning disability you frickin’ idiot. I do believe though, that you have no clue of how the real world works – guess another one has you believing…keep on keepin’ on, moron”
    Give me five minutes to edit his wiki page… OK. Now he has a speech impediment, lockjaw, half a tongue, twelve extra teeth, a cleft pallete, and…LOOPIS!!!

30. Cmspirate says: Nov 4, 2009 9:50 AM

UVA has Thomas Jefferson to b proud of, Columbia has Barack Obama, and here at ECU we have such esteemed gentleman as Chris Johnson to be proud of.

31. dcfan-1212450 says: Nov 4, 2009 11:11 AM

Am i the only one who truly understands what CJ is trying to do. The Titans had a lot of confidence last year. Confidence enough to beat the Steelers, to beat nearly everyone. This year, with virtually the same team and coaches with almost no injuries of major important, they have no confidence, none. No swagger, not even effort as shown in the game in NE (which by the way CJ had over 120 yards rushing in, surprisingly). So all he is doing is trying to get them to feel like they can literally beat anyone, any day, any time. And whats wrong with that?

32. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 4, 2009 11:42 AM

“The Van Buren Boys says:
    November 3, 2009 10:16 PM
    If he wants to have his name up there with Jordan and Kobe and LeBron he needs to be playing basketball. He should be naming great running backs like Payton and Sanders and Campbell.”
    EXACTLY what i was thinking. i don’t think negatively of johnson, but dude….. use football references for your analogy. enough with the basketball.