Vikings-Packers peaks at 39 million viewers

Those of us who didn’t grow up during the age of rabbit ears and three television channels often don’t appreciate the difference between network television and cable television.

But, indeed, there’s still a difference.

Last month, quarterback Brett Favre’s first career game against the Green Bay Packers set an all-time cable record, with an audience of 15 million households tuning in for the ESPN event.

Sunday’s rematch at Lambeau, televised by FOX, averaged nearly 30 million viewers and peaked after 7:00 p.m. ET with 39 million average viewers.

So why is ESPN paying $1.1 billion per year for the NFL?  Because the presence of Monday Night Football and other major-league sports makes ESPN a must-have property for every cable provider — and it allows ESPN to justify imposing higher rates.

Permalink 36 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Green Bay Packers, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
36 Responses to “Vikings-Packers peaks at 39 million viewers”
  1. footballrulz says: Nov 3, 2009 6:21 PM

With all the strange rules the NFL has about games in other teasm hoome markets I’m surprised the difference was that great. But then again, it was at Lambeau.

2. stetai says: Nov 3, 2009 6:28 PM

From his drug rehabs, Super Bowl runs, deaths of his father and brother-in-law,wife’s fight with cancer, mother’s near death from Hurricane Katrina, and his battles with Packer management, the life of Brett Favre has been like a real life movie, and this return to Lambeau in the ultimate battle for redemption was merely the latest intriguing chapter.
    And other than fans that still support the Packers, who can’t cheer for this guy, sticking it to the team that didn’t want him before 40 million people!
    he’s 40 years old and playing as strong as he ever did, and he’s smarter and more discliplined than he ever was. I know NBC is creaming themselves for the FLEX games with Brett coming up. And can you imagine the numbers in the playoffs, and if Brett actually played in the Super Bowl????
    Brett is still money.

3. Shaun Lowrie says: Nov 3, 2009 6:31 PM

This kind of comes across as a convoluted rebuke of ESPN, even if it is unintentional.

4. GB3Pack4 says: Nov 3, 2009 6:34 PM

And I still don’t like THREE games on Sundays. I cannot stare at the TV for 10 1/2 hours, no matter WHAT is on, and how much I want to see it.
    Wish they had just left everything the way it was -

5. Tomb says: Nov 3, 2009 6:38 PM

Proof positive that America loves watching the Packers being humiliated.

6. jorge says: Nov 3, 2009 6:39 PM

Well, Florio, don’t like it? Then don’t watch. Same with the NBA, no ones forcing us to watch Kobe take on the world, we watch cause we’re mindless sports junkies. (point blank)
    ESPN can afford to crack our wallets cause they got Disney money to burn like toilet paper!!!

7. Bubba Maximus says: Nov 3, 2009 6:39 PM

So much for the oft-repeated notion that “everybody” is sick and tired of Favre.

8. PervyHarvin says: Nov 3, 2009 6:46 PM

@ stetai – LMFAO!!!! I can’t stop,really!!! Please oh please,tell me you didn’t copy and paste this take from Steve. You know,the guy that posted this take after the story on the link above?? If you did and passed it off as yours,I vote you the biggest turd nugget of ALL TIME!!! LMFAO!!!!!

9. footballrulz says: Nov 3, 2009 6:48 PM

@ stetai
    Superbowl usually is at or around these figures. Playoffs-not so much (unless it’s a 3rd rematch which probably won’t happen). Appears NBC’s not the only one creaming themselves.
    Brett actually played in the Superbowl — twice. Even won one of them. I think it would be more surprising (and draw a better rating) if The Vikings were playing in the Superbowl. I mean–it has been quite a while.

10. J says: Nov 3, 2009 6:52 PM

Love him or hate him Favre brings in the ratings, money, and fans.

11. PervyHarvin says: Nov 3, 2009 6:59 PM

@ jorge- What’s up bro? I’ll be in L.A. in December,do you want to go fishing ??

12. Stone says: Nov 3, 2009 7:08 PM

How about also posting a comparison of ratings between MNF and the World Series game? I was surprised you didn’t post that info to be honest, you called it out last week.

13. NoHomeTeam says: Nov 3, 2009 7:16 PM

# GB3Pack4 says: “I’m STILL mourning the “loss” of Monday Night Football, i.e., when it went to ESPN. Was so nice to come home from work to a great game! Even at lower rates for Cable, – preposterous – it would undoubtedly still be too much for me.
    Wish they had just left everything the way it was -”
    ******************************
    Amen.
    I know, “it’s a business.”
    Of course it is. No one expects — or wants — either the League or the networks to lose money so we can enjoy our football.
    But does it have to be a business hell-bent on squeezing every last dime out of its assets, even at the cost of antagonizing its customers?
    Isn’t enough just ever enough?

14. Fan_Of_ Four says: Nov 3, 2009 7:17 PM

Huh ? Why is everyone assuming it was all about Favre ? I’m sure a few people tuned in to see Karen Rodgers.
    I know, It was hard for to type it I was laughing so hard.

15. SFrancis1680 says: Nov 3, 2009 7:24 PM

for every game like this, how many NFL games this year were blowouts where the game was over by halftime? seriously, with the amount of crappy teams this year, with the high point spreads and subsiquent blowouts, the problems bad teams are having selling out, those ratings are a mirage, i’m hoping this doesn’t encourage all the farve ass kissers in the media, to continue their nauseating coverage of him, when you’re espn and you spend your whole summer talking about farve and micheal vick, no wonder this league has some of the issues they do, this is hardly the golden era of football

16. SFrancis1680 says: Nov 3, 2009 7:29 PM

who gives a crap?

17. irishgary says: Nov 3, 2009 7:35 PM

Footballrulz:
    Come on dude. Vikings in a super bowl is a long shot.
    and winning is even a longer shot you know the 0-4 thing.
    Queens fans think they have a saviour in our old QB, but he will break down and eventually.
    Queens won’t get to the promised land.

18. Wipackman says: Nov 3, 2009 7:59 PM

Tomb says:
    November 3, 2009 6:38 PM
    Proof positive that America loves watching the Packers being humiliated.
    What’s more humiliating than NEVER winning a darn thing …
    4 Super Spankings and that honor belong to you and your aptly named brain compartment.

19. jorge says: Nov 3, 2009 8:26 PM

# PervyHarvin says: November 3, 2009 6:59 PM
    *****************************************************************************************
    That would be tight. Just tell me where I can pick you up and we’ll go catch us some fishes.

20. southernboi727 says: Nov 3, 2009 8:29 PM

Its the way business just works.

21. Twiz says: Nov 3, 2009 8:47 PM

@irishgary
    I guess you are smarter than the odds makers in Vegas if you think its such a longshot for the Vikings to win the super bowl.
    Take a look at footballlocks.com. They have the Saints and Vikings at 4-1, the closest after that are the Pats and Colts at 4.5-1

22. Twiz says: Nov 3, 2009 8:50 PM

Everytime I see someone bring up the Vikes super bowl record of 0-4 I have to laugh…….
    Why do people insist on living in the past. The past doesn’t matter, especially not when the past being referred to is like 35 years ago.
    I don’t keep on every single person that works for the Vikings, but I seriously doubt more than 1 or 2 that worked for/with the Vikings then are still there now……
    the present – The Vikes are 7-1
    the present – The Pack is 4-3
    That pretty much tells the story doesn’t it!

23. PervyHarvin says: Nov 3, 2009 8:58 PM

PervyHarvin says: November 3, 2009 6:59 PM
    jorge says:
    November 3, 2009 8:26 PM
    ————————————————–
    @ jorge- LOL that doesn’t mean you want to use me for fish bait does it??

24. David Sankovich says: Nov 3, 2009 9:29 PM

Everyone was saying the same thing about Favre in 2007. “He’s playing more disciplined than ever before and might be having his best season ever”.
    Then this happened….
    He looked old and miserable in that game and looked like he didn’t want to be there.

25. MasterShake says: Nov 3, 2009 10:03 PM

Rabbit ears? What about that god awful box on top of our brand new RCA television that controlled the antenna on top of the house? That got us 4.5 stations. Livin’ large I tell ya. Livin’ large.
    Even though the four letter sport network has MNF, if the games suck, nobody watches. Can they flex those?????
    At least ABC has “V” on their list. We’ve never seen that before.

26. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 3, 2009 10:07 PM

——————-
    As Florio has often said “Odds are simply based on public opinion and are not a true indicator of a team”

27. Fan_Of_ Four says: Nov 3, 2009 10:13 PM

Ah yes, all Favre’s detractors go back to Favre’s pick in the NFC Championship game but they never ever mention that Al Harris got schooled by Burress and Coach McFatty didn’t make any adjustments, he just stood there and watched. Then there was Ryan Grant who had about as many yards as he did the other night on his home field, 30 I think it was. Yup it was all Favre’s fault.
    Who knows maybe it happens again but tell me what sucks more, losing the NFC Title game or not making the playoffs ?

28. KrazyTrumpeter05 says: Nov 3, 2009 10:15 PM

Fan_Of_ Four says: November 3, 2009 7:17 PM
    I know, It was hard for to type it I was laughing so hard.
    ———————————————–

29. DJSlyBri says: Nov 3, 2009 11:55 PM

I watched it because it was football and it was on. Favre made no difference, but it appears I am, for once, in the minority.

30. Canyonero says: Nov 4, 2009 12:41 AM

Lots of people may have tuned in to see the spectacle of Favre as a Minnesota Viking, but they stayed because it was a great game.
    Like it or not, Brett Favre has the knack for being involved in a lot of really great football games.

31. Twiz says: Nov 4, 2009 12:44 AM

@KrazyTrumpeter05
    ____________________________________
    Seriously….you typed that without laughing?
    Fantastic QB? You are kidding, right? A fantastic QB wouldn’t have half those sacks. A fantastic QB would get rid of the ball instead of eating it all those times. He needs to learn to throw the ball away! Maybe, just maybe in a few years (if he doesn’t end up on IR from all the sacks) he could develop into a top 15 QB, but he will NEVER be a fantastic QB till he learns how to give up on a play and throw the ball away!

32. Twiz says: Nov 4, 2009 12:47 AM

SmackMyVickUp says: November 3, 2009 10:07 PM
    ——————-
    ________________________________
    Lord Florio has tried to claim that Favre has a number of different diseases also. You believe that as well?
    Odds are based on a hella lot more than just public opinion. If that were the case, Vegas would never allow bets cause public opinion in regards to sports is often warped based on a specific team (such as Dallas or GB) or a specific player.
    Thanks for showing your knowledge of the subject though! LOL

33. packers4life says: Nov 4, 2009 3:14 AM

“Fan_Of_ Four says: November 3, 2009 7:17 PM
    I know, It was hard for to type it I was laughing so hard.
    ———————————————–
    I don’t see why everyone rags on Aaron Rodgers so hard. The guy is a fantastic QB. He’s leading the league in QB rating right now, has 14 TDs with only 2 picks, and this is all behind an incredibly horrible OLine that has let him get sacked 31 times (league leading by FAR).”
    KrazyTrumpeter05,
    Fan_of_Four is just jealous that the Packers have a better QB then Favre. He criticizes Rodgers because he has nothing else better to do in his long, boring, miserable life which has him making out with his cardboard cut-out of Favre every night. It’s not that just that though. He’s a a$$hole as well.

34. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Nov 4, 2009 9:21 AM

Fan_Of_ Four says:
    November 3, 2009 10:13 PM
    ————————–
    And here’s a flip-flopper making that tried and true flip-flop.. When the Packers won anything, it was all Favre–he carried them to victory. Whenever they lost anything other people were to blame, regardless of the actual events in the game.

35. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Nov 4, 2009 9:27 AM

Twiz says:
    November 4, 2009 12:44 AM
    Seriously….you typed that without laughing?
    ——————————-
    There’s no doubt Rodgers holds the ball too long at times. There’s also no doubt that the Packers have one of the worst offensive lines in football. If Rodgers always followed your advice and threw the ball away when protection was breaking down, they would never attempt a pass longer than 15 yards and would have an even more one-dimensional offense than they do now.
    The fact that he’s willing to stand in there, take the hits and still LEAD THE LEAGUE in passer rating is a testament to his toughness and his will to win and sacrifice himself for the good of the team. It also makes you idiots look like… idiots for calling him “Karen” or “Erin”. Favre wouldn’t take those hits. Not at 40 or 30. He’d just jack the ball up in the air and pray one of the guys in green would come down with it.
    But that’s probably what “fantastic QBs” would do, right?

36. packers4life says: Nov 4, 2009 11:42 AM

“he could develop into a top 15 QB,”
    Dude, get a clue. He is already in the top 10 QBs in the league. and no don’t base how good a QB is on crap wins. It takes a team to win games and it takes an individual to get stats, which Rodgers has. His career stats are 43 touchdowns and only 16 interceptions. Tell me how that isn’t a top 10 QB.
    and your the stupidest person on earth if you also base how good a QB is based on the sacks they take. Moron, your just trying to find a way to make Rodgers look bad. I gurantee if it was Favre getting those sacks, you will be saying it was only the offensive line and not him.