Another stunt from Ochocinco

In yet another publicity stunt for a player who has a seemingly limitless ability to get his name in the news, Bengals wide receiver Chad Ochocinco has mailed a care package to some of the defensive players he’ll be facing on Sunday.

Ochocinco said today that he sent gift baskets containing deodorant to the Ravens’ secondary and to linebackers Terrell Suggs and Ray Lewis.

“I not only sent them gift baskets, but I sent them something they could use so they don’t sweat,” Ochocinco said on 105.7 FM, via the Baltimore Sun.

The “gift” is reminiscent of the time in 2004 when Ochocinco (then named Chad Johnson) sent a bottle of Pepto Bismol to the Cleveland Browns’ secondary. That didn’t work out very well; as he caught just three passes in the ensuing game, a 34-17 loss to the Browns.

A three-catch effort from Ochocinco on Sunday would be a major disappointment: He’s having a big year, leading the Bengals with 39 catches for 573 yards and five touchdowns. In the Bengals’ Week 5 win over the Ravens, Ochocinco caught seven passes for 94 yards.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Another stunt from Ochocinco”
  1. WorldChampionBears2009 says: Nov 5, 2009 8:08 PM

Hate him or not but this sh *t is funny.

2. Cubano says: Nov 5, 2009 8:14 PM

He may actually lose his head on Sunday!

3. Nathan says: Nov 5, 2009 8:17 PM

Also he’s got a deodorant spokesman deal (forget which one but I’ve seen commercials) so it’s good business too.

4. blackglass says: Nov 5, 2009 8:23 PM

85 is awesome. Someone who is genuine AND funny!

5. billsgiantsfan says: Nov 5, 2009 8:23 PM

This guy’s just flat out funny!!!

6. KevinFaulk-an-a says: Nov 5, 2009 8:26 PM

You can’t hate the guy. You just can’t.
    Try as I may…

7. Matthew Stephens says: Nov 5, 2009 8:28 PM

As if Ray Lewis needs any further incentive to blow him up again come Sunday…

8. PatricktheDookie says: Nov 5, 2009 8:29 PM

I wouldn’t want to antagonize the guy who nearly took my head off last time I saw him.

9. Vox's Mommy says: Nov 5, 2009 8:30 PM

I’m a Steeler fan and I love this guy. He just has fun….which is how it should be. He’s not as big a distraction as the media and other people make him out to be. Dude gets a bad rap.

10. davidc45629 says: Nov 5, 2009 8:36 PM

Last player I remember mouthing off to the Raven’s defense was last year, a rookie Steeler running back, left with a broken shoulder or arm, can’t remember which, before halftime.

11. CanadianVikingFan says: Nov 5, 2009 8:36 PM

Ahh, Ochocinco. I love the way you do what you do.

12. comment_submission_error says: Nov 5, 2009 8:37 PM

Chad should just put a bullseye on his helmet to make it easier for Ray to give him another decapitator. That sh*t was funny.

13. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 5, 2009 8:42 PM

Ray Lewis should have responded and sent a bottle of aspirin for the hit he put on him last game.

14. darlak says: Nov 5, 2009 8:43 PM

it’s not even funny…..
    but it will be when he’s laying on the ground with a concussion sunday…..

15. Dick Winniberg says: Nov 5, 2009 8:51 PM

Foolish, foolish… The Ravens D looked very good last week and if they can play like they did last time against Cincy and even better, while getting more offensive production, Ravens will win. You woulda thought he’d learn from the first time not to F with Ray

16. Geshtahl says: Nov 5, 2009 8:58 PM

I guess that Ochocinco forgot about this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zls1tOMEsKk&feature=related

17. johnblackk says: Nov 5, 2009 9:10 PM

haha. I love it.

18. spyboots says: Nov 5, 2009 9:15 PM

They showed the Pepto-Bismol package on the NFLN on “In Their Own Words,” and it was all in fun, with the Browns players laughing about it.

19. bearsrule says: Nov 5, 2009 9:17 PM

He’s got big brass ones.

20. chris465 says: Nov 5, 2009 9:27 PM

If the media didn’t cover him – would Ocho still exist?

21. JayBot says: Nov 5, 2009 9:31 PM

This story should be linked to the “Ray Lewis not sorry for hit that got him fined” story.
    It wouldn’t break my heart to see another one of those hits this week.

22. csloan99 says: Nov 5, 2009 9:41 PM

I’ll wait until after the game Sunday to decide whether this was funny or absolutely retarded. Cause it’s probably going to be one or the other.

23. Franchise says: Nov 5, 2009 9:51 PM

He deserves a reality show, not T.O.

24. VoxVagina says: Nov 5, 2009 9:53 PM

I love Ocho. He’s so funny. Everyone is quick to attack him. Call him a distraction, selfish, primadonna, whatever. I know for a fact that this guy has never destroyed a team the way that T.O. has and the NFL needs more guys like Chad just having fun. I still think the name change was completely retarded though.

25. CincyJungle says: Nov 5, 2009 10:05 PM

Bad idea Chad. You don’t need to give them extra motivation. It backfired when you did it against Cleveland, so why repeat it?

26. i'm president charlie! says: Nov 5, 2009 10:57 PM

steelers fan here…. gotta love ochocinco’s antics! This game is interesting to watch for so many reasons and this is the icing on the cake.

27. aallgod says: Nov 5, 2009 10:58 PM

I miss the days when the Browns were able to put up 34 points in a game. Hell, I miss the days of 20 points (with two offensive TDs involved)…

28. EdgarSnyder says: Nov 5, 2009 10:59 PM

AP is reporting Chad is apearing on the “Tool Academy” this upcoming off-season.
    You know… I’m guessing people amused by his antics also love profesional wrestling.
    just saying….

29. Trolltoll says: Nov 5, 2009 11:39 PM

And people say Favre is an attention vvhore…

30. just_a_cigar says: Nov 5, 2009 11:55 PM

Is Chad going around slapping women or causing trouble? No, he is having fun, and that’s what football is, or at least used to be, all about.
    I used to hate the guy, but he’s been growing on me as of late because of the state of this league. He makes the No Fun League just a bit more fun, and we need it.

31. dlmcc0909 says: Nov 6, 2009 12:27 AM

He is on my fantasy team and since everyone slept on him, I give him all the credit in the world for havign a nice year so far. The ravens defense isnt what it used to be anyway and i dont expect them to be able to contain Ocho Stinko

32. Deb says: Nov 6, 2009 1:36 AM

@davidc45629 … Rashard Mendenhall was exchanging text messages with a former college teammate playing for the Ravens. The guy asked about the upcoming game and Mendenhall texted that he thought he’d have a good one. The “friend” showed the text to other Ravens and they used it as bulletin board material for the game in which Lewis knocked Mendenhall out for the season.
    “I think I’ll have a good game” is not “mouthing off.” However, football is a contact sport and these things happen. So if Mr. Lewis makes repeated contact with #85, good for him. Guess I differ from some fellow Steeler fans. I respect hard-hitting, no-nonsense opposition players. But big mouths–even the funny ones? Not so much.

33. downsouth49er says: Nov 6, 2009 2:54 AM

chad is an ass with no ring, and media outlets such as PFT continue to broadcast his childish behavior so he keeps on doing it…the more people ignore this guy, the sooner he’ll go away, like T.O.

34. Terry says: Nov 6, 2009 7:12 AM

He’s Retarded!

35. Commish says: Nov 6, 2009 7:30 AM

What I love about Chad is that he’s really good-natured.
    He’s enjoying himself and having fun; it adds some spunk to the league without really offending anyone or stepping over the line.
    I think its even better when his play backs him up. He’s having a great year.

36. dethdude420 says: Nov 6, 2009 7:46 AM

You know, I like Chad. I’m a ravens fan but I still like Chad, I even think I would welcome him to the team if he wasn’t already so old.
    But everyone else on here talkes about how Chad has never ripped a team apart and how he’s not as harmful as TO. But have we all forgotten about when he punched Marvin Lewis in the mouth. He’s not as harmless as he would like us all to think, he’s just really smart.

37. FireJerryJones says: Nov 6, 2009 8:08 AM

He’s an idiot, causing distractions to the team.
    Needs attention ALL THE TIME>
    Wouldn’t want him on my team.

38. shaunypoo says: Nov 6, 2009 8:26 AM

Dick Winniberg says:
    November 5, 2009 8:51 PM
    7 for 94 and a win. They beat them on their own turf last time, and if Haloti is out, it will be easier for Benson to get another 100 yards. It will be nice to be 4-0 in the division.

39. kenyatta says: Nov 6, 2009 8:47 AM

He will do well when he retires,but thats just makes guys like Ray Lewis play harder,don’t know how smart it is to taunt those 2

40. smo05d says: Nov 6, 2009 8:58 AM

I like this light-hearted, funny, hardworking Version 2.0 Chad way better than the old sulking, brooding, lazy model.

41. overkil2 says: Nov 6, 2009 9:02 AM

That is hilarious. I think he’s good for the game.
    I’m glad to see there are still players out there who try to have fun. The game has become too serious. A little levity is always good.
    Now Chad, tell Carson not to send you on any crossing routes over the middle. It may not turn out so well.

42. trickbunny says: Nov 6, 2009 9:12 AM

Has anyone noticed how it seems that, whenever Chad (sorry, but I AIN’T calling the guy “Ocho”) does one of these stupid stunts or makes a guarantee, etc.- that the Bengals end up losing?
    Apparently, Chad hasn’t noticed.

43. Laxer37 says: Nov 6, 2009 9:14 AM

Chad’s next trick?
    Buying up the 3,000 unsold tickets for this game by 1pm today so it’s not blacked out.
    This guy needs TV time like the rest of us need oxygen.

44. CurseofBoJackson says: Nov 6, 2009 9:34 AM

trickbunny, how about the guarantee in ’04 against the 9-0 Chiefs? typoe from an informed perspective dude. firejerryjones, you fool, chad would be the best target Romo would have ever had, better than to, better than austin, better than crayton, better than roy, who else? Not that it matters, he retires a Bengal, and I must say that I am heartened by the lack of Chad hating that this post sparked, I totally expected to be dealing with rising blood pressure by the end of the comments, seems that his good season has changed a few minds.
    Few comments, to the folks who take this article and use it as a platform to spew their hope of Chad getting injured because he is having fun with his career, piss off, you’re sad specimens to wish that on someone for so little.
    His deodorant deal is with Degree (clinical strength?)
    And Chad, along with the other receivers, shoudl eat this D alive if Ced and the Oline can get the running game going anywhere near what it was 10/11.
    On the flip side, bengals D needs to be able to contain Rice and do a repeat job on Mason and Clayton through pressure on passing downs.

45. schism says: Nov 6, 2009 9:53 AM

Chad is the best, and its all ingood fun.

46. Emiliooo says: Nov 6, 2009 9:56 AM

Ray Lewis will be needing all the free stuff he can get… especially after having to pay the huge fine he’ll get next week for taking Chad’s head off!!
    I know the suspensions for drug use, slapping and/or choking a girl, shooting yourself in the leg, single vehicle accident….
    How many games do you get for a decapitation???

47. AugustusMcCrae says: Nov 6, 2009 10:26 AM

OK- That is funny. Very creative.
    Hoping the Ravens can stay close on Sunday. The Bengals looked scarily good against Chi-city.

48. Deb says: Nov 6, 2009 11:46 AM

@CurseofBoJackson … To be clear: When I said it’s a contact sport and I hope Ray Lewis & co. make repeated contact w/#85, that’s what I meant. I don’t want to see the guy hurt. I do want to see him dropping balls.
    Chad is likeable in the broadcast booth. And he’s spent his current career lining up his next career, which means he’s smart. But he first annoyed me when he proposed to a cheerleader during a game. During a game??? A game they lost!! I’m a romantic, but he gets paid to focus on the game. Then he lost me forever with the HoF jacket stunt–disrespectful and attention-seeking at his team’s expense.
    His sitting-out threats, contract problems, and name-changing issues (more attention-seeking) have caused headaches for his coach and the NFL. So no, I definitely would not want him on my team. Many great receivers don’t bring that kind of baggage. I prefer smash-mouth to big mouth–I’ll stay with Hines Ward.

49. Bdrunk says: Nov 6, 2009 11:54 AM

schism says:
    November 6, 2009 9:53 AM
    “Chad is the best, and its all ingood fun.
    I heard T. Suggs on The Jim Rome show, andhe said he has no had feelings, and understands it s all in good fun.”
    Thank you! I’m very certain that these guys know how to laugh at themselves and each other. Opposing teams does not mean they are mortal enemies.

50. CurseofBoJackson says: Nov 6, 2009 12:26 PM

Deb, the guy is who he is, and he happens to be a gregarious cat with a magnet for attention. But aside from last years debacle, and it was a ridiculous debacle, he has been lighthearted, humorous, entertaining and pretty damn good as a WR.
    As for Hines, I would like to have him (two years ago), but would never swap the two in my lineup unless I needed to run the ball outside and my O-line was garbage. Other than the blocking, they’re similar on the field, both have great hands, both run good routes (Ward admittedly more consistently), but Chad is the more explosive threat and has really made himself a tougher player during this last offseason. I take him every day over Hines at this point.

51. Deb says: Nov 6, 2009 2:26 PM

@CurseofBoJackson … Not surprised we have these differing viewpoints given that I’m a Steelers fan and you’re a Bengal :-) Gregarious is a good word. Sometimes when Chad’s doing his schtick, I grin in spite of myself. He’ll have a great post-football career. But as for what happens on the field–well, guess I’m just wired to be a Steelers/Tide fan. I prefer watching defense to offense and like my football and my players old school.

52. StevieMo says: Nov 6, 2009 3:32 PM

Ray Lewis’ hit on Chad was THE Cheap Shot of 2009 thus far, so kudos to 85 for having fun with it and for displaying his cajones grande.
    Of course, the cheap shot was from RAY LEWIS, so Chad gets criticism for this for some reason while Lewis gets to hide behind his tough-guy LB image.
    Lewis is the dickwad, Chad the stud in this story.