PFTV ponders the MVP at midseason

The 2009 NFL season has featured strong performances by many players.

But which player has been the greatest so far?  Or, more specifically, the most valuable?

PFTV explores.  Feel free to add your own thoughts in the comments.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
57 Responses to “PFTV ponders the MVP at midseason”
  1. cside3 says: Nov 5, 2009 7:43 AM

Peyton Manning, after living a full life, died and went to heaven. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Colts flag in the window. “This house is yours for eternity, Peyton,” said God. “This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here.” Peyton felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house. On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the corner. It was a 3-story mansion with a black and gold sidewalk, a 50-foot tall flagpole with an enormous Saints logo flag, and in every window, a New Orleans Saints banner. Peyton looked at God and said “God, I’m not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an all-pro, I hold many NFL records, and I even went to the Hall of Fame.” God said “So what’s your point Peyton?” “Well, why does Drew Brees get a better house than me?” God chuckled, and said “Peyton, that’s not Drew’s house, it’s mine.”

2. Vikes-N-Favre says: Nov 5, 2009 8:00 AM

It’s a toss up right now between Drew Brees and Brett Favre. Think about it for a minute. While both of these guys have been very good in their careers, the teams they are on now have been lights out because of the presence.
    The players like Manning and Brady do this seemingly every year. If Brees or Favre lead their team to the SB, that IMO, should warrant being the MVP. Neither team would even be considered for a run at the SB if they didn’t have those two as the starting QB on their teams.

3. Topher says: Nov 5, 2009 8:01 AM

I understand that quarterback is the MVP nearly always. But in the interest of at least giving other positions the courtesy of the discussion let me to submit to you two more names for the Mid-Season MVP.
    Not that these two will stay in the conversation, but at least at Mid-Season they should be mentioned.
    Elvis Dumervil
    Cedric Bensen

4. sand0 says: Nov 5, 2009 8:02 AM

Vikes fan here so I’d like to say Brett is an MVP front runner.
    But the truth of the matter is that the award should go to Drew Brees or Peyton for the reason Florio brings up at the end of the segment. Vikings were 10-6 last year and they’ll probably go 13-3 this year with addition of Brett, Harvin, and a healthy Rice. Without Brett they probably would have went 10-6 again quite possibly.
    The Colts and Saints might not even win 8 games without their starting QB’s. With that said though Favre would be in the top 5 MVP voting I think as he has played extremely well.

5. benniehifive says: Nov 5, 2009 8:03 AM

come on Flo! even though you’re coming around you just can’t help but to hate on Favre a little bit…good stuff though

6. Ralph Gre Nader says: Nov 5, 2009 8:07 AM

“I’m really craving a deluxe roast beef sandwich, right now”

7. Fan_Of_ Four says: Nov 5, 2009 8:07 AM

Pretty fair assessment for a couple of knuckleheads. I would like to add that the reason the Vikings made the playoffs last year is because of the super weak division with the Lions and the Packers being awful Football Teams. Now the Packers and Lions still suck but the Vikings have shown some real toughness against some of the League’s better Teams. If not for Chester Taylor trying to run with the ball before he caught it the Vikings could easily be undefeated as well. I’d have to go with Brees thus far just because of the crazy stupid numbers he’s putting up. Very tough to call otherwise.

8. Favre+Harvin=Farvin says: Nov 5, 2009 8:27 AM

WHAT!?!?!?!? No vote for Karen Rodgers??? LOL

9. TrueFan says: Nov 5, 2009 8:52 AM

Hey “Fan_Of_Four”,
    Just some info for ya..
    The Vikes SPLIT with the Packers last year.
    And the Lions.. well yeah – they were the Lions
    The Vikes were 4-2 in the Division last year – same as the Panthers and the Giants who both won their divisions. The CARDINALS were the ones who “made the playoffs” because their Division sucked so bad. (6-0 in Division, and only 3 other wins besides those)
    The Vikes made the Playoffs last year due to being 8-4 in CONFERENCE and having a very stout defense.

10. CurseofBoJackson says: Nov 5, 2009 8:56 AM

Brees, Sharper, Manning, Farve, Benson. Any of them are worthy candidates, I guess you could throw Dumervil in too Toph, I think Sharper has had a bigger impact on his team though.

11. LBPACKFAN says: Nov 5, 2009 8:56 AM

The Vikings…a team that is 2 plays away from being 5-3. Wonder what everyone would be saying now?

12. Felcus says: Nov 5, 2009 9:05 AM

Brees and Manning are head to head. Without either of them, their teams would not be leading their divisions. They have comparable play-makers on their teams (Colston-Wayne, Clark-Shockey, Collie/Garcon-Moore/Meachum, Addai/Brown-Thomas/Bell/Bush), but without those QB’s there’s no way these offenses thrive the way they currently are. I’m a Vikes fan, and I don’t think Favre should be considered for MVP over these two guys. Obviously he is valuable and has made a positive difference, but considering the Vikes went 10-6 last year, they could easily match that or do better with the addition of Harvin, a healthy Rice and a better duo of QB’s to chose from (sans Frerotte). The MVP award is all about the regular season, and Brees or Manning making the biggest difference for their teams during the regular season.

13. crispy says: Nov 5, 2009 9:22 AM

Do you guys believe the lies you’re telling yourself?
    Peyton is the MVP… again.
    The sooner you come to accept that, the sooner you can start to recover.

14. Vikes#28Owns says: Nov 5, 2009 9:25 AM

They are also 2 plays from being undefeated. Your logic is idiotic because that could be said about pretty much every team. It doesn’t matter how many plays make a team win it is the final score at the end.

15. Youngs79 says: Nov 5, 2009 9:26 AM

LBPACKFAN….The Vikings are also 2 plays from being 8-0. Then I wonder what everyone would be saying? Idiotic comment on your part. Facts are the facts and your team sucks! Get over it already.

16. Ralph Gre Nader says: Nov 5, 2009 9:26 AM

# LBPACKFAN says: November 5, 2009 8:56 AM
    But they’re not 5-3 so your argument is pointless. Its not how many you almost win or should have lost or barely won. The Vikings are 7-1 and cruising to a division title and possibly home field through out, PERIOD.

17. Vikes-N-Favre says: Nov 5, 2009 9:29 AM

# LBPACKFAN says: November 5, 2009 8:56 AM
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    It will all be irrelevant anyways when GB plays the Steelers and Ravens. Those two defense will have a field day with that Pop Warner OL that GB has, and will dismantle Rodgers like the Vikings did twice this year. We will see how durable Aaron Rodgers is when he takes another 20 sacks and 100 hits from those two defenses. Have fun shredded cheese.
    One other thing cheesehead, when you get out of the cellar, bring me a beer. CHEERS.

18. Bryan8900 says: Nov 5, 2009 9:36 AM

Florio claims the Vikings would be a playoff team without Favre, I disagree. If not for Favre lead drives in two of those games, not to mention his perfect performances versus the Packers, the Vikings could very well be 3-5 not 7-1. San Fran, Baltimore, and the two Packer games would not be wins for the Vikings.

19. PervyHarvin says: Nov 5, 2009 9:42 AM

Pretty tight race between Brees and Manning. My nod goes to Brees. Has a team that went 8-8 and 7-9 the last 2 years playing out of their head. Plus great stats. Vikings were good without Favre. He is the icing on the cake. Sure T-Joke or Sage could have beat the Pack twice too! LOL

20. LBPACKFAN says: Nov 5, 2009 9:48 AM

I never said they weren’t a good team or anything…I made a statement…they are a missed field goal…and a hail mary incompletion away from being a 5-3 team. That’s all.
    So before you squirrely Vikes fan jump on me for being idiotic, let me say: your team is good, you deserve all the credit in the world.
    (I’d be excited too I guess…Favre…AP….trying to get that first Super Bowl in 40 years….)

21. mikethevike says: Nov 5, 2009 9:50 AM

lbpack.
    Exactly why Favre should be MVP we would be 5-3 without his play. We are 1 play from being undefeated.

22. LBPACKFAN says: Nov 5, 2009 10:03 AM

Wow…I make one comment and it turns into “The Packers suck”. I love Vikings fans. You guys ammuse me. What would you do without the Packers? You cherish Packers losing more than your own team winning. You poor idiots dont even go to games. Now that the Pack-Vikes series is over, we are gonna hear about blackouts the rest of the year at the toilet (aka Metrodome).

23. Fan_Of_ Four says: Nov 5, 2009 10:08 AM

The Saints and the Colts have been a few plays away from losing games as well so what the hell is your point ?

24. zeakman says: Nov 5, 2009 10:48 AM

Avid Vikes fan, but Favre isn’t even the MVP of our own team. Percy is. His kick returns, receiving TDs, and the field position he has given us is the reason we have such a good record. There is no way we would have beat the Pack last week without him. There is no way you can’t give it to Peyton right now! I do like the random Cedric Benson comment though, especially if Cincy wins this week.

25. LBPACKFAN says: Nov 5, 2009 10:58 AM

I guess what I meant to say is if the Vikes were 5-3 and Favres numbers are as good as they are, what the general opinion/thought of the Vikes would be? Yeah…just a random question.
    Yes – Vikes are good.
    Packers aren’t right now….I still think “Karen” Rodgers is very good and Pack made the right choice. He is not the reason they suck right now. Their O-line blows more weiner than Linda Lovelace. It’s bad. Obviously.

26. Facts Domino says: Nov 5, 2009 11:00 AM

The argument should be for runner-up, because the NFL MVP is and has been for years, Peyton Manning.
    Without him the Colts would struggle to win 3 games.
    He’s the best in the game, but more than that he’s by far the most valuable player in the league.

27. Tom Landry says: Nov 5, 2009 11:10 AM

Keith Brooking, LB for God & America’s Team, THE Dallas Cowboys… he will be your NFL MVP. That is all.

28. jimmySee says: Nov 5, 2009 11:38 AM

Sure looks like Brett to me — and I am a Packers fan.

29. The Hormel Row of Fame says: Nov 5, 2009 11:43 AM

Gotta love the packer fans. Even when they try to compliment a team, they have to throw in a little dig to make themselves feel better about their miserable, one-dimensional existence. Since this went so far off topic, let me ask: how did your “top-notch” fan-base let the Landfill become almost 50% Purple this weekend? You don’t get black-outs due to the fact that the tickets may be sold to season ticket holders, who got them from great uncle/cousin’s third wife/sister, who in turn sell them at the first opportunity (which then ends up in the hands of the other team’s fans). Way to support the team!
    As for ON-topic: I vote for Manning for MVP, with Brees a CLOSE second.

30. Osterhouse says: Nov 5, 2009 11:44 AM

LBPACKFAN says:
    November 5, 2009 10:03 AM
    =================
    Your going to hear it b/c u pack fans (coming off a 6-10 season) were talking mad mad shit all off season and pre season! All the pack fans talked about was how good their new 3-4 D would be and how A Rodgers was going to lead them to the superbowl. Even after the Vikings humilited the pack twice the scum bag packer fans still talk…its ridiculous. I woud be more worried about Rodgers surviving the season at this rate than anything Vikings related.

31. LBPACKFAN says: Nov 5, 2009 12:06 PM

Saints fans seems to have no problem making games and buying tickets. And i love you Vikes fans using the economy as an excuse.
    Admit it…your franchise and team is garbage. You cant get funding for a new stadium.
    Pharv is just a cute 1 year tease….then the big collapse is coming and everyone will dissappear like 1998.
    Packers fans were talking mad mad shit? I dont recall that. I remember being excited about our team and changes. Wow. We had a good preseason and things were looking good…not so good now.

32. aamys1 says: Nov 5, 2009 12:10 PM

I think there have been some good arguments made on this topic. I like the post that first mentioned Cbenson. He is having a hell of a year. Packer fans, Viking fans are the first to brag about what they have, but also the first to complain about what they don’t have. Viking fans, just shut up? Win something before you talk. And when I say win something, I mean; a playoff game? A Super Bowl? Otherwise the season means nothing, and the whole rift between the states of Wi and Mn will continue to be a one sided fight, giving the upper hand to Wi because they have the hardware to show back up their talk. If you win this year, I would have respect for you and your team. Leave LBPACKER fan alone, it wasnt just the PackerNation that was talking up the Packers before the season, every major sports media also put the Packers in the Chapionship game, and the majority put them in the Super Bowl. Aaron Rodgers takes sacks, Favre throws interceptions, its just part of how every player plays the game differently. Im not saying either is a better decision.
    Saints Fans… Back up your QB, he is one hell of a player, and I believe this is your year. The Saints seem to have something the Vikings lack; true team chemistry. The Vikings seem to be one mistake away from a downward spiral. Brad Childeress lacks the ability to lead when it is needed. That is the reason the Vikes won’t win it all this year. The Ol’Gunslinger is like ductape..Holding together a sinking ship and looking good while doing it.

33. Hauschild says: Nov 5, 2009 12:25 PM

If you’re interested in voting for the MVP in its truest sense, then Brett Favre is clearly the NFL MVP at this point.

34. footballrulz says: Nov 5, 2009 12:27 PM

MVP = player most valuable to their team. Favre’s gotta be in the running–don;t think the Vikes would be where they are without him. Same with Peyton Manning & Drew Brees. I would say whichever of these QB’s gets his team to the Super Bowl & wins it.
    However, since the award is given in January I assume that means MVP during the regular season. Tough call on those three. Don’t think it will be a repeat of 2007 when Brady got all votes but 1. Several players will get some votes. Suppose a lot will be determined in th elast part of the season, and NO I am not predicting the inevitable decline of Favre as some do. He’s got a real shot at his 4th one, as does Peyton.

35. PeytontoWayne says: Nov 5, 2009 12:59 PM

Very original cside3. Too bad the first time I heard that joke (literally years ago) it was Tom Brady who went to heaven and the mansion was blue and white.

36. Forevercorr says: Nov 5, 2009 1:25 PM

I think Manning has got to be the guy. This year he has shown that it doesn’t matter who you put on the field with him, he’ll make them look good. Brees has already had a couple of very rough games where his defense ended up carrying the day. Favre, as pointed out by Florio, is playing on a team that was playoff ready before he got there.
    I do think it’s too easy to look only at QB though. As mentioned before, I think Cedric Benson deserves a look for what his play has allowed the Bengels to pull off so far this year (a team NO ONE thought would have a chance in hell), and on the defensive side of the ball there are guys like Dumervil and Sharper deserve a good look. If not for his injury, Polamalu would be in there too. They are all major difference makers not just for their defense but for their whole team. I personally always favor those guys who are on teams that weren’t supposed to go anywhere and yet because of their play, you can’t count them out (Dumervil and Benson are great examples of this).
    But in the end, no player is as valuable to their team winning as Peyton is this year. It’ll be hard for anyone to eclipse that.

37. CanadianVikingFan says: Nov 5, 2009 3:10 PM

@Bryan8900
    Are you stupid, if we didn’t have Favre these events that already happened wouldn’t of even happened. So to say that we would be 5-3 without him because of those two wins from his arm is just moronic. Hell we could of been 0-8 or 8-0 without him.

38. NoDakVikesFan says: Nov 5, 2009 3:12 PM

Tom Landry says:
    November 5, 2009 11:10 AM
    Quite possibly the stupidest thing ever uttered!! Keith Brooking has 50 tackles and 2 sacks.. Patrick Willis (SF) 67 Tackles 2.5 Sacks / George Wilson (Buffalo) 54 Tackles 2.0 Sacks. Guess THEY are MVP runner’s too! LMAO Vikes fans maybe crazy about some things, GB fans maybe stupid about some things as well… BUT there is one thing all fans other than Cowboy’s Fans can agree on… Cowboy fans are I-D-I-O-T-S on SOOO very many levels about a team that isn’t even going to get close to being in the playoffs! ok ok.. maybe not all of em.. but the above certainly falls into said category!

39. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 5, 2009 3:39 PM

i’d say brees wins the MVP if the race ended now.
    Favre and Peyton get honorable mentions/runners up. Favre & Peyton are both great QB’s, and you can’t say they don’t deserve it. I will say that Brees makes the strongest case because he MAKES that team. Brees has single-handedly dictated outcomes of games on a team that has perennially not been there.
    You can say the same for Manning, but being that his team is perennially competitive, it takes some of the luster away. if you wanted to be technical, you could probably give it to peyton every year.
    brees is a different, newer story. the saints would be nothing without brees, and everyone knows that.
    the packers and favre are experiencing a resurgence, and favre’s play has been great. i don’t think the vikings would be 7-1 right now without favre – but i still think they’d be competitive. they have an amazing o-line, adrian peterson, and loads of other talent on defense and new budding talent on offense. favre is amazing for them as he helps put it all together.
    i still have to go with brees. means more to a team & city that hasn’t had much of late.

40. DocBG says: Nov 5, 2009 4:09 PM

# LBPACKFAN says: November 5, 2009 8:56 AM
    ——————————————————
    hey jackass, we’re also 2 plays away from being 8-0
    it doesnt matter what losers like you think a teams record should be, it matters what the record is, and currently its 7-1 suck it fanboy
    look on the brightside, the packers are only 2 years away from relevancy (well, if you go back 2 years) and probably only 2 decades away from being relevant again.

41. NoDakVikesFan says: Nov 5, 2009 4:16 PM

Manning/Brees either one of them lost for they’re team equals a lost season. That in of itself is what makes MVP. 1st half of year I almost have to go with Brees, but let’s see if he can keep up this torrid pace or not. We all know what to expect from Peyton, if Brees keeps it up he is MVP imo.. if not Peyton! Peyton will be know as the best QB ever at some point, all he really needs is another championship to get there. So he’s in the running every year, Brees a realative new comer should get the nod if all things are realtively equal.

42. NoDakVikesFan says: Nov 5, 2009 4:17 PM

43. LBPACKFAN says: Nov 5, 2009 4:24 PM

DocBG –
    LOL. Get fired up buddy…get fired up.
    2 years from relevancy…and 2 decades from being relevant? Wow. Go back to 2nd grade you drooling shaft hungry funboy.
    Your team has a shit history. This 7-1 start (oh wait…COULD be 8-0) is gonna make the train wreck that much sweeter. Than people like you and the rest of the purple nation will hide like you’re good at.

44. Chickenfoot says: Nov 5, 2009 4:41 PM

LB
    So now we are back to talking about the franchise history?
    You know why that is?
    Because when the Packers are good, fans like you want to talk about the present, but when they suck or are average, like now, you want to talk about the past.
    What exactly does 1967, 1978, 1921, 2022, 1776 have to do with the 2009 season?
    Christ the steelers are reigning champs and they don’t brag as much about that one as you do about your 13,41 and 42 year old trophies.
    I wouldn’t care, but the only times asshats like you want to talk trophies is when your team isn’t very good.
    Live in the now, the past is for people that have nothing to look forward to.

45. steeltownpride says: Nov 5, 2009 4:45 PM

MVP is like the Most popular player award ………………….. Its always the same Canidates year after year . Manning , Brady , Brees , Farve etc etc etc …………….
    Let them all fight and argue over who deserves it and who doesnt . I think the “real” will stay quiet in the background and just keep collecting Lombardi trophies ………….. Now let all the haters respond . Goodluck Manning i know the league loves to kiss your ass like no other .

46. stetai says: Nov 5, 2009 4:53 PM

To me MVP is the guy who has had the most positive impact on his team, and it narrows down to 3 guys, Brett, Peyton, and Drew.
    3rd place. Peyton’s Colts look like any other year’s Colts, with an execpted collapse in December or January. And again the defense will determine how far they go, as Peyton’s only SB run came courtesy of the defense since he was subpar that January/Feb.
    2nd place. Drew’s been here a few years now and his stats are on pace with last year, which is great, but it is clearly the defense and the rise of Bell/Thomas and the realization that Reggie Bush is a tiny piece of the pie, that has pushed them into “elite” status.
    1st place. Brett Favre is brand new to his team, and he has clearly carried his team from “good” to “elite” like the Saints. However I think you have to give Favre more credit than Drew, because he is clearly an inspiration to his offense AND defense, which is something that can’t necessarily be said about Drew and Peyton. This is Percy’s first year so we have no comparison’s but clearly Brett is improving the play of Sidney and other players he throws the ball to. Overall, Favre has added the most to his team in 2009, but I could see any one of them winning.

47. PervyHarvin says: Nov 5, 2009 6:02 PM

steeltownpride says:After Ben gets his 3rd after this season he will be smiling . While Manning or Farve or Brees will be home jerkin his gerkin to the award . CONGRATS
    ————————————————–
    You talk like a man with a paper ass! LOL Nice to see you a good Pitt fan but to say Favre,Brees,or Manning be home jerkin the pickle is most likely far fetched. You got a gift from Chester Taylor,enjoy it. Broncos are going to beat you in Denver,best get the excuses lined up for that loss. Favre or Brees meets you,most likely you get torched. Just worry about Colts and Denver. Envelope please: ” Colts” Carnac says: Who will be in Miami for the AFC!! LOL

48. PervyHarvin says: Nov 5, 2009 6:21 PM

@ stetai – ok,you sold me on Favre. Good post.

49. Vikes#28Owns says: Nov 5, 2009 6:53 PM

Before everyone starts freaking out and bashing other teams just remember how hard it is to pick MVP. There is the argument of most valuable to that team and who is the best overall. People saying that the Colts would suck without Peyton Manning realize that you can say that about just about any team. Right now Aaron Rodgers is the best QB statistically and I don’t see him as MVP. Take him away and that team probably has no wins. However, MVP is usually picked as the best player on the best team.
    Lets not get into this picking MVP half way through the season because any one of these players could have their season ended in a week or 2.

50. tgfpftandflorio says: Nov 5, 2009 9:17 PM

hands down: Peyton

51. tgfpftandflorio says: Nov 5, 2009 9:18 PM

Here is the question? What QB do you want in the final 2 min if you need to score? Peyton.

52. MasterShake says: Nov 6, 2009 12:45 AM

There’s two ex-Packers that do belong in the conversation. As someone posted above, Sharper has allowed and or helped the Saints to be in the position they are in right now. Favre has done the same by beating his former team and division rival (twice). Jared Allen could sneak into the conversation if his stats continue at this pace. Every year people look at stats. MVP doesn’t stand for the most valuable on your team, it stands for the most valuable in the league! Which player on a team other than your favorite would you just love to have on your team. Even if it meant removing your teams most valuable player? Right now, IMO, Percy Harvin gets the nod. Just not sure how many “sick” days this guy can get though.

53. steeltownpride says: Nov 6, 2009 5:37 AM

Pervy …….. is that like Baltimores kicked missing an easy fieldgoal to keep you undefeated lucky ? All teams get breaks in a game . Just depends how you capitolize it when they come around .
    I know its hard for Vikings fans to realize what its like to be sucessful and win superbowls . But when you do win them you get spoiled and in a sense a intitlement for them . But until a new champion is decided we are the champs .
    I dont fear Manning ask Dolts fans they know ……… 05 anyone ? ANYONE ?

54. Chickenfoot says: Nov 6, 2009 10:21 AM

Steel:
    WTF does 05 have to with this season, or what does last season have to do with this one?
    Everyone is Entitiled to their own opinion i guess.
    I’m going to capitAlize on the fact that I have enough money to get commode hanging drunk tonite.
    It’s idiot fans like you that ruin these message boards.

55. PervyHarvin says: Nov 6, 2009 10:30 AM

@ steeltownpride – Yep,breaks do make games. Enjoy the trophy for now, for I don”t see you repeating. Think it’s Manning time to step up. Intitlement?? LOL Hope your team don’t have that feeling,or you are doomed. Hope you guys can regroup after a loss in Denver. Remember,I called that loss!

56. packers4life says: Nov 7, 2009 1:56 AM

“All this coming from a GB fan who was EXTREMELY lucky to pull out a opening game win against a Bears team that played awful and still should have won that game. If that were the case, we would still have the same lead on GB, and only Chicago would be given us fits.”
    and the Vikings haven’t been lucky? Dude, had it not been for that last second TD against the 49ers and the missed field goal against Baltimore, the Vikings would easily be 4-3.

57. packers4life says: Nov 7, 2009 2:01 AM

and my choice for MVP right now has to go to Drew Brees. He is the leader of that dominant offense that averages nearly 40 points a game. In a close second is Peyton Manning. and I guess Favre is 3rd but I highly doubt he will keep this pace thru the rest of the season though.