Haynesworth: Snyder asks "How can we win?"

With Redskins great John Riggins continuing his verbal assault on team owner Daniel Snyder, people who get paychecks from Snyder are coming to the owner’s defense. And the latest to do so is the guy who gets the biggest paycheck.

Redskins defensive tackle Albert Haynesworth, who received an enormous contract from Snyder this off-season, said on Sirius NFL Radio’s Late Hits with Bryan McGovern and Ross Tucker (via Dan Steinberg of the Washington Post) that Snyder desperately wants to win and talks to him frequently about what the Redskins can do to win.

“Well, I talk to him at least once a week if not [more often],” Haynesworth said. “They’re usually 15-, 20-, even 30-minute conversations sometimes, depends on what the day is looking like. You know, he’s just a big fan. He’s a guy who will do anything to get the right players and to win. That’s what he wants to do, he wants to win.

“Most of all our conversations start out, like ‘How can we win? Can we win this week? What do you think?’ and things like that. I see nothing wrong with that. I mean, I’ve had an owner that was absent and came to probably two or three games that I saw a year, and I have an owner now that’s there the majority of the week, coming out to practice and really concerned with his team and trying to figure out how to make his team better and to make us succeed and make all the fans happy. You know, I’ve never met John Riggins or anything like that, I don’t know what [critics] have against Mr. Snyder. But as far as I know, I mean, he’s a guy who has the money and he wants to win and he’ll do almost anything to win.”

It’s no surprise that Haynesworth thinks highly of the guy who made him rich beyond his wildest dreams eight months ago, and it’s not a surprise that Snyder desperately wants to win. The question, though, is whether Snyder knows how to go about winning. Snyder might be better off hiring a good coaching staff and allowing the coaches to have the weekly conversations with his high-priced players.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
23 Responses to “Haynesworth: Snyder asks "How can we win?"”
  1. sven_ftw says: Nov 6, 2009 6:05 PM

since when is that type of advice supposed to come from the players?? some owner if he’s clawing that desperately for a tip or two…

2. BillsFan27 says: Nov 6, 2009 6:06 PM

By not sucking?

3. Jim Rome says: Nov 6, 2009 6:07 PM

Sell the team! Ridiculous!

4. Hovenaut says: Nov 6, 2009 6:07 PM

Well, for starters, let’s not sign me first players to ridiculous contracts.
    Oh.
    New ownership, then?

5. The Wishbone says: Nov 6, 2009 6:07 PM

I imagine their conversations go something like this:
    Snyder: “How do we win, Albert?”
    Haynesworth: “Well, it helps if the helmet falls off the other guy and you can stomp him in the head.”
    Snyder: “Yeah…other than that?”
    Haynesworth: “Other than that, I don’t really know. They won’t let you use aluminum poles on the field.”
    Synder: “Wanna watch some cartoons?”
    Haynesworth: “Yes, sir!”

6. Bob S. says: Nov 6, 2009 6:10 PM

Riggins is an @-whole who Snyder fired!

7. The_Pest_16 says: Nov 6, 2009 6:27 PM

“next time, Hanye, (can I call you Hanye?)..well anyway, next time he asks, you ask him to slowly relax in to his $6k leather office chair/lounger/rocketpack/, you ask him to relax and call you Hanye. and you say, Dany, very softly as he closes his eyes, and you continue, “danny, this is for the answer you been looking for” as you slowly place his expensice alligator skin leather couch throw pillow over his face, slowly sufficating him until Jason Campbell learns to hold on to the Ducking Ball!!!

8. PayDoh says: Nov 6, 2009 6:30 PM

You don’t ask your nose tackle what you need to do to win. That question should be answered by the GM. This proves Snyder has less of a clue than we thought.

9. HappyBunny says: Nov 6, 2009 6:46 PM

“…I have an owner now that’s there the majority of the week, coming out to practice and really concerned with his team and trying to figure out how to make his team better…”
    As a Cowboys fan, the only thing I can say is…”PLEASE keep it up, Danny!”

10. NFLMMAfan says: Nov 6, 2009 6:47 PM

Dear Dan,
    Hire a real GM and talk with that person. Not the latest fantasy league player who brought you the tenth Off-Season Super Bowl win in a row.
    Then get out of the way of the professionals.
    Love,
    The Few Remaining Redskins Fans

11. Richm2256 says: Nov 6, 2009 6:58 PM

Call me crazy, but I don’t see that an owner asking any player “how can we win this week” (once, never mind every week) is a good thing for the owner, the coaching staff, the player, or the team as a whole.
    It totally undermines the effectiveness of the coaching staff when an owner voices those questions to the players …… oh, wait a second, we’re talking about Jim Zorn here. Never mind.

12. Bob says: Nov 6, 2009 7:10 PM

“He’ll ALMOST anything.”
    It’s easy to want things. It’s another to be willing to sacrifice your fantasy football meddling and bring in a competent president and general manager to run things in order to achieve success. Dan Synder doesn’t get it. He wants to eat his cake and have it to.

13. slipkid says: Nov 6, 2009 7:10 PM

yer nuts, mds. those coaches have to go game plan the plays they arent allowed to call. they dont have time to talk to the players.

14. Sociofan says: Nov 6, 2009 7:20 PM

Okay. What can Danny do to get the right players to win? Hire a competent GM who knows HOW to build a winning football organization. Then, stop asking your players how to win.

15. Slow Joe says: Nov 6, 2009 7:34 PM

Couldn’t agree with you more, MDS. The weekly convos should be with coaches, not football-illiterate owners. The owner is undermining the coaches by doing that.
    “…I’ve had an owner that was absent and came to probably two or three games that I saw a year, and I have an owner now that’s there the majority of the week, coming out to practice and really concerned with his team…”
    Yeah, Albert, you also had an owner that’s won consistently, sent many teams to the playoffs and one to the Super Bowl, and now you have an owner with no clue how to do any of that.

16. FumbleNuts says: Nov 6, 2009 8:41 PM

Give someone like Shanahan the control he needs to build a winner.

17. MurderCapital#1 says: Nov 6, 2009 9:11 PM

ummm….. still waiting for approval.

18. nosoupforyou says: Nov 6, 2009 11:24 PM

the only conversation between a steeler player and dan rooney consists of “good morning, sir, do you like the new trophy?”…take a note mr. snyder.

19. TSE says: Nov 7, 2009 12:26 AM

Dan Snyder –
    If you truly want to win, then make an appointment with me so I can explain to you what your team is doing wrong.
    If you don’t want to win, or don’t care to invest the time to seek out my advice then that is your choice indeed.
    But please don’t tell people how badly you want to win, or how important it is for you to win, or how you will do whatever it takes to win. Doing whatever it takes to win would include seeking out a different perspective and a winning perspective, which is EXACTLY what I have to offer.
    I don’t want to hear any comments of that nature, because the solution is simple, and it wouldn’t be that difficult to make contact with me if you want to turn over the most important stone of knowledge that exists out there.

20. tele1 says: Nov 7, 2009 2:30 AM

Micro Managing Meddling Meglomanic
    SHUT UP DANNY, sign the cheques, Hire a GM, & go fishing
    Nothing more…..no 30 minute phone calls IDIOT features

21. fanman14 says: Nov 7, 2009 5:16 AM

SELL THE TEAM SNYDER. ALL REDSKINS FANS BOYCOTT THIS MIDGET.

22. MurderCapital#1 says: Nov 7, 2009 9:49 AM

http://www.censoredprofootballtalk.com I say Redskins fans boycott this website….

23. Quagmire says: Nov 7, 2009 11:32 AM

“Snyder desperately wants to win and talks to him frequently about what the Redskins can do to win.”
    Haynesworth suggested not overpaying for fat guy’s that can’t play a full season…and then laughed in Snyder’s face.