Jaws: "Something is wrong" with Brandon Jacobs

In today’s one-liners, Josh Alper noted a Star-Ledger article saying that Giants running back Brandon Jacobs thinks he’s due for a 100-yard game.

The reason he thinks he’s due, of course, is that he hasn’t had one yet this season: Despite starting all eight games of 2009, Jacobs hasn’t had more than 92 yards in any single game.

Ron Jaworski, who’s been watching film of the Giants for ESPN’s NFL Matchup show, said today on ESPN’s Mike and Mike in the Morning that from his analysis of Jacobs, it’s clear that something is wrong with him.

“This is a team that has to be fueled by the power running game of Brandon Jacobs,” Jaworski said. “What we’re now seeing is they’re not running the football well, and I don’t know what’s wrong with Brandon Jacobs, but something is wrong. This guy is not running with power, he’s not moving his feet, and as big as he is, he’s got to move his feet and get momentum going. When he stops moving his feet, he starts going backward. That’s not his running style.”

Jacobs, who had averaged 5.0 yards a carry each of the last two seasons, is averaging just 3.9 yards a carry this season. Whatever is wrong with Jacobs, the Giants, who are on a three-game losing streak, need him to get it fixed.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
31 Responses to “Jaws: "Something is wrong" with Brandon Jacobs”
  1. Felcus says: Nov 6, 2009 5:33 PM

2. Deegizzle says: Nov 6, 2009 5:34 PM

I’ve been saying this since the preseason….Jacobs looks a lot slimmer than previous years. I think he’s lost a lot of muscle and it is effecting his style of running.

3. Jesus Cutler says: Nov 6, 2009 5:35 PM

Oh, I know what’s wrong…he’s terrible.

4. Jaydub says: Nov 6, 2009 5:45 PM

“Oh, I know what’s wrong…he’s terrible.”
    —————————
    Gotta love rookie football fans…

5. Bigbluefan says: Nov 6, 2009 5:47 PM

Yeah Jaws speak most of us change the chanel or go to sleep
    Jaws Brandon has a big ass ring all you have is ahhh wait let me think ahhhh a shitty job on ESPN

6. VoxVeritas says: Nov 6, 2009 5:48 PM

7. GoBears84 says: Nov 6, 2009 5:49 PM

shoulda drafted MJD felcus,

8. Tr3pidation says: Nov 6, 2009 5:52 PM

After he gets the big paycheck. Thing it’s a coincidence?

9. Hovenaut says: Nov 6, 2009 5:53 PM

Another razor-sharp tidbit from the Wizard of Jaws.
    He’s huge, and gets hit a lot. Do the math, genius.

10. Occam says: Nov 6, 2009 5:55 PM

“When he stops moving his feet, he starts going backward.”
    That’s odd. When I stop moving my feet, I just stand still.

11. BrohammadAli says: Nov 6, 2009 6:06 PM

Felcus says:
    November 6, 2009 5:33 PM
    You picked Jacobs 2nd overall?

12. BrohammadAli says: Nov 6, 2009 6:08 PM

Felcus says:
    November 6, 2009 5:33 PM
    You picked Jacobs 2nd overall?

13. GurpBadesha says: Nov 6, 2009 6:21 PM

Hes not terrible, he won his superbowl and he got paid, he got his contract. He has a wife and kids, he want to be able to live a long painfree life. he takes more punishment, give more punishment than probably another other RB in the league…
    You got us our superbowl, and we thank you
    enjoy your life Brandon, you got my support

14. davidc45629 says: Nov 6, 2009 6:31 PM

Jacobs has used his body as a battering ram for the last two seasons. It was never a question of when his body would quit, but when. Why are we even asking “what’s wrong”? Its obvious. His body can’t cash these collision checks anymore.

15. Citizen Strange says: Nov 6, 2009 6:31 PM

Once again kudos to Jaws for his terrific insight.
    What’s more is that Jaws’ in depth analysis came hot on the heels of his shocking “Something is right with Drew Brees” dissertation.

16. whatthehellisgoingonoutthere says: Nov 6, 2009 6:38 PM

# Felcus says: November 6, 2009 5:33 PM
    He seriously needs to get fixed. I wasted my 2nd overall pick in fantasy for his sorry a$$……
    ——————–
    It sounds like you need to get your brain fixed as well if you drafted Jacobs with your 2nd overall fantasy pick!!
    I’ll tell you what’s wrong with Jacobs. It’s called secure with fat contract syndrome.

17. danielcp0303 says: Nov 6, 2009 6:43 PM

He’s fat and can’t run outside the tackles

18. Xpensive Wino says: Nov 6, 2009 6:46 PM

And I think there’s something wrong with ESPN for having an idiot like Ron Jaworski on Monday Night Football. And even if he does have any actual insight, he’s obviously incapable of articulating it.

19. EskinSux says: Nov 6, 2009 7:05 PM

He OVERRATED….simple as that

20. Zaggs says: Nov 6, 2009 7:27 PM

One reason that he hasnt hit 100 yards is because the secondary is performing like butter on the ground and they find themselves down early and abandon the run.

21. Mackstate33 says: Nov 6, 2009 7:28 PM

It’s obvious, he doesn’t run with power and speed any more, has got to keep his feet moving, and faster! he keeps slowing his feet, and instantly you know its over. really getting to me, Ima giants fan, and im thinkin bradshaw could be much more useful..

22. Slow Joe says: Nov 6, 2009 7:39 PM

Don’t blame him for your obscenely overvaluing a player. There’s no way he was better than a fourth rounder. Third at most.

23. Outfoxed says: Nov 6, 2009 7:59 PM

Could it be that he is not playing with “rookie wreckless abandon”, as Howard Cossell used to say, because he signed the big contract? Methings so.

24. 56lightsout56 says: Nov 6, 2009 8:14 PM

he’s playing the Bolts this week
    even panty hose runs on the bolts.
    he’ll get well sunday

25. Treezs says: Nov 6, 2009 8:23 PM

As a San Diego fan – this is just the kind of article you read before a new rushing yards per game record is set…

26. Borg30 says: Nov 6, 2009 9:13 PM

@ Vox
    another dumb ass comment, again
    go eagles

27. slipkid says: Nov 6, 2009 10:03 PM

bradshaw has a broken bone in his foot. he isnt the answer.

28. kravon says: Nov 6, 2009 10:26 PM

Yep – his ego is bruised because Ahmad Bradshaw is more effective, per a friend of Ahmad.

29. Bob S. says: Nov 6, 2009 11:03 PM

That’s what carrying a big contract does!

30. SEAYDOG says: Nov 6, 2009 11:14 PM

ITS SIMPLE PEOPLE, HE’S A PU__Y!

31. Danwahl80 says: Nov 7, 2009 4:04 AM

VoxVeritas: I can tell you what’s wrong with Brandon Jacobs. His mouth is bigger than his ass, and his ass is huuuuuge. That, and the fact that he’s overrated. Never saw so much hype over a guy that’s never busted 11 yards. He’ 6’4″ and 255 but has the durability of a 5’10, 200 lb punter. Let me know when he can handle a 220 carry season.
    ————-
    How about a 219 carry season? That was last year. 219 carries, 1,089 yards, 15 TD’s. And that was missing a couple games, and sharing playing time with Derrick Ward and Ahmad Bradshaw.
    He’s on his way to another 1,000 season this year, and in the Super Bowl season two years ago, oh yeah, another 1,000 yard season. Overrated? Nah, not so much.