Vick: A return to the Eagles would be "an everyday struggle"

On Sunday night, Tony Dungy mentioned Buffalo as a possible “dark horse” to retain the services of Michael Vick in 2010.  What’s clear is that Vick is unlikely to stay in Philadelphia, and it sounds like that’s just fine with him.

“It would be hard,” Vick said of returning to the Eagles in a conversation with Bob Costas.  “It would be an everyday struggle. But I
would have to take that time to hone my skills and get better. I’m
excited about the opportunity I have moving forward whether it’s with
Philadelphia or another team.”

Vick thinks he has more to offer than just being a Wildcat quarterback — he only played two snaps Sunday night in Philadelphia’s loss to Dallas.

“I won’t be a Wildcat guy. I can’t,” Vick said, speaking about his future.  “It’s a different
style of play. It’s almost like a hit-or-miss type of thing. My
position is quarterback. That’s what I was born to do.”

Approached after the game by the Associated Press, Vick wisely didn’t discuss his future.  It can only serve as a distraction right now.  But as we wrote last night, Vick’s lack of explosiveness in the present is not going to help his chances of getting a job or Philadelphia’s chances of getting decent trade offers.

Even Vick admits to having doubts about his ability.

“I would be lying if I said there wasn’t some doubt there. I’m being realistic about the situation,” Vick said.

Permalink 52 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
52 Responses to “Vick: A return to the Eagles would be "an everyday struggle"”
  1. raybin says: Nov 9, 2009 11:13 AM

At least he’s being honest….sounds like if nothing else, his jailtime shook off what was apparently a powerful cloak of self-delusion.
    If he works his ass off in the off-season and trains with a QB coach, I’m sure there’s some team out there that’d be willing to take a chance.
    One problem is that this is an extremely talented crop of QBs coming out in the 2010 draft, so his options might shrink more than they otherwise would.

2. Florio-is-a-tool says: Nov 9, 2009 11:16 AM

Too bad he wasn’t born with accuracy or intelligence. Perhaps he’s proud of the fact he’s acquired herpes along the way though.

3. Johnabis says: Nov 9, 2009 11:17 AM

Whats he supposed to say? That he doesn’t care if he plays or not? I thought he did very well on that interview

4. DonTerrelli says: Nov 9, 2009 11:20 AM

As soon as the season’s over, he’ll be in DC. Snyder would want all the the plays from Philly.

5. Givner says: Nov 9, 2009 11:20 AM

No Michael, you are clearly not a wildcat guy. In fact, you are probably not an ‘NFL guy’. Passing 2-6 for 6 yards and running 12-27 (average of 2.2). I can see why McNabb is annoyed by this sideshow. The CFL is on line 1.

6. cloudnine says: Nov 9, 2009 11:21 AM

Watching Vick start at QB for anyone would be an every Sunday struggle.

7. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Nov 9, 2009 11:22 AM

A return to the field would also be a struggle…. He struggled as a QB even before he spent 2 years away from the game, LMFAO

8. DC_Bengals_Fan says: Nov 9, 2009 11:26 AM

I still to this day have no idea why the Iggles picked up Vick. I imagine Vick feels the same.
    As raybin says, it’s good to see Vick lose the bravado. I’m sure he’s lost some speed compared with his peak. That said, people had to know he couldn’t walk out of prison and drop a 4.2 40. Jamal Lewis was terrible after a few months in prison, and he wasn’t fast to begin with. Forget 2 years. Vick’s definitely been slow, but I don’t think it’s permanant.
    I believe Vick will be pretty danged fast and explosive again when he has a few months to work full-time with a trainer. Maybe he’ll finally be willing to learn to be a QB too.

9. ninjapleazee says: Nov 9, 2009 11:27 AM

c’mon dude, the title of this article is so misleading, all the dude said in general it is a struggle to learn the plays, system etc.. not like a struggle for himself to be an Eagle… but most likely for ANY club
    I swear.. media and their “would be/wanna be news”

10. tian says: Nov 9, 2009 11:32 AM

Yep, he’s honest. I was looking at the situation, and it looks like they may keep him in Philly next year. He’s progressing too slowly to get a shot at a starting job next year.
    The only place he MAY get a shot is at Oakland. And the reason why is because he has NFL experience. Buffalo? That’s Jason Campbell’s job next year. Washington? St. Louis? Detroit? San Fran?
    I think that St. Louis and Washington will go with someone from the draft. Detroit has their QB. San Fran may be an outside shot, but he has to really work hard in the offseason.
    (Oh, and the Titans looks like they found their QB, again. )
    My thought is simply that if Buffalo, San Fran or Oakland doesn’t come running, then he’s backing up McNabb in Philly next year.

11. hotchick says: Nov 9, 2009 11:37 AM

Its nice to see this sack of dirt fail.
    The team, if any, that has him in 2010 will have him out of pure desperation. They he can go play in a sand lot with LJ.

12. Dabaz says: Nov 9, 2009 11:37 AM

I think like any player who ages, he’s lost a step. He lost another step by not just being out of the game, but by being in one of the few places that just eats up professional athletes, because even working out hurts your ability to play on that high a level. For all intents and purposes he’s like a rookie again, and one with a greater detriment than most, because he never relied on his passing but rather relied more on his running and ability to, when he even made the pass, make it on the run.
    I’ve seen the few plays he’s ran, and he’s moving far slower than he use to, and far slower than even some quarterbacks who he use to be able to run laps around. He still has strength, and if he works on his passing, he might be able to be serviceable, but he was just never that great a passer at any point in his career.

13. Johnabis says: Nov 9, 2009 11:38 AM

I agree with ninja, the article is misleading. I saw the interview and thought nothing bad from what he said.
    I do agree though vick is nowhere close to being where he was before jail. Desean Jackson ran the wildcat alot better then vick. we would usually get aroudn 5 plus yard with Desean in there

14. Hap says: Nov 9, 2009 11:40 AM

“What’s he supposed to say?”. I tell you what he’s NOT supposed to say and that’s “I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t some doubt there.” Let’s face it guys, he’s a wasted talent. I’d like to think he can turn it around, but at this point I highly doubt it.

15. Ross'sSweetMinus says: Nov 9, 2009 11:44 AM

This guys lucky he has a job. The Loser!

16. hayward giablommi says: Nov 9, 2009 11:45 AM

Bad guy. He’s lucky to even have a job as it is.
    If he wants a starting job, then the UFL or semipro ball is the way to go.
    No way the CFL can have him since Canada generally does not look kindly upon reprehensible, violent, convicted felons such as this vile piece of trash.
    I keep hoping someone’s going to break his neck, but the only way that may happen is if someone runs into his clipboard carrying ass on the sidelines. Still, I keep on hoping though.

17. BigBaldPapaHawk says: Nov 9, 2009 11:47 AM

So, he is not even a full season with the team who gave him the best opportunity after coming out of prison and he is already shitting on them?
    He NEEDS to put on the “Keep your mouth shut, head down and do whatever it takes.” face back on. GM’s are watching and his attitude is not helping himself at all.

18. Richm2256 says: Nov 9, 2009 11:47 AM

“It would be hard,” Vick said of returning to the Eagles in a conversation with Bob Costas. “It would be an everyday struggle. But I would have to take that time to hone my skills and get better.”
    Ummm, isn’t that what he’s supposed to be doing NOW? I don’t hear wonderful stories out of Philadelphia about how hard Vick is working to try and steal the starting job from McNabb, which would show us all a LOT.
    “My position is quarterback. That’s what I was born to do.”
    No, if you were born to do it, you’d be Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, or Tom Brady. You may not have noticed, Micheal, but you pretty much are a lower lever quarterbackwho doesn’t work hard enough to develop the most you can from the talent you do have.
    What you were born to do is smoke dope, kill dogs, spread herpes, and generally lie about your behavior.

19. DP says: Nov 9, 2009 11:53 AM

“It would be hard,” Vick said of returning to the Eagles in a conversation with Bob Costas. “It would be an everyday struggle. ”
    I had no problem with the signing but Vick needs to simmer down. Be thankful you have a job and some money. He should work as hard as he can to get where he needs to be and be ready for next wherever. Instead of looking at it in the negative, look at it like your getting a free year on the Eagles dime to work back into the league and physical shape. I understand what he meant but little things like this don’t help. He should, no pun intended, put a muzzle on talking to the media, work out, do what the Eagles tell him and be ready for next year wherever he ends up.

20. EaglesToRockDallas...AGAIN says: Nov 9, 2009 12:02 PM

Vick was clearly picked up for the potential of trade bait this off-season, and I believe that the Eagles run Vick into the game only to remind future trading partners that Vick remains on the team.
    Kevin Kolb is CLEARLY the future QB in the Andy Reid vision of the Eagles in years to come, unless he dies, goes to prison, or gets horribly injured some way … the guy threw for 300 yards in his first two career starts. No other QB has EVER DONE THAT in the history of the NFL. In fact, you could argue that the Eagles system means that they could be at 5-3 right now even if McNabb had not played this year, with Kolb starting in his place. (Kolb certainly couldn’t have played worse than McNabb last night).
    There is NO WAY Mike Vick starts before Kevin Kolb next year. There is NO WAY that Vick is #2 to McNabb next year, either, ahead of Kolb.
    Regarding the Wildcat, it does not work in Philly. The only squad it serves to keep off-balanced is the Eagles offense. Is the point of the Andy Reid Wildcat to give Don McNabb — who still looks a bit overweight and often winded between plays — a (much needed?) breather?? I see McNabb go to the sideline, and the guy is out of breath … is that a consequence of whatever unique concoction of growth hormones he’s taken since coming out of Syracuse 30 lbs. smaller than he is today? Hmmm ….
    So, in trots Vick … who either takes the snap and runs between the guards for 2-3 yards, or hands off to McCoy … also for 2-3 yards. Look out, NFL! That’s some scary stuff right there!
    I think a door mat franchise, however, during normal periods, would jump to get Vick for next year … so long as he keeps his nose clean for the rest of the year (including off-season), he will still probably command a second or third-round pick in 2010 draft … and the Eagles, who are STILL under the salary cap, even with what they are paying Vick, will have essentially bought an extra early round pick (Bill Belecheck would be lauded for this kind of move).
    Where Reid is erring is not allowing Vick to play a full series. Bring him in, and let the guy work for 1-2 series a game. You want to keep the opposing D off-balanced? You do it by bringing Vick in and going NO HUDDLE for a FULL SERIES, which means the defense can’t adjust. If he manages to avoid throwing an interception or fumbling a snap, he just might get a couple of first downs and really shake up the D’s tempo …
    This “one play and hand-off” stuff, though — it’s just mindless and an utter waste.
    Why don’t the Eagles braintrust see this?

21. slipkid says: Nov 9, 2009 12:07 PM

he isnt any kind of qb. just a never-was.

22. -Slap- says: Nov 9, 2009 12:11 PM

Any team that signs that simple minded piece of crap should be ashamed of themselves. The scummy fans in Philly deserved him. We’ll see which team chooses to sink to his level next year.

23. bezee23 says: Nov 9, 2009 12:14 PM

I dont care what you say Vick could go start for a lot of teams in this league. I’d rather have him than:
    Jamarcus Russell
    Trent Edwards
    Alex Smith or Shaun Hill
    Jason Campell
    Fake Delhomme
    And the list goes on. Hate on Vick all you want but the teams with these losers could definitely use his services.
    “Some people say I’m crazy as a snake”

24. danielcp0303 says: Nov 9, 2009 12:24 PM

He could probably do a better job than McNabb right now…how overrated are those two qb’s? Maybe the most overrated ever

25. dlmcc0909 says: Nov 9, 2009 12:31 PM

Maybe Vicxk should have spent more time working on his passing skills instead of his Pitbulls fighting skills. Totally done as a QB in this league

26. raybin says: Nov 9, 2009 12:46 PM

EaglesToRockDallas….AGAIN (except last night, heyyooo) brings up a good point: Vick is misued in the Philly Wildcat. (WildEagle?)
    The Wildcat works consistently in Miami because 1) they practice it all the time and 2) they have Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, both of whom are very, very adept at running your ass over when they come charging between the guard and tackle. Vick was always at his best when he rolled to the outside.

27. Bills=Heartbreak says: Nov 9, 2009 12:47 PM

I’d take him in Buffalo. I mean I’d rather have them draft a Ryan Mallet but the guy would be a big upgrade over Edwards.

28. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Nov 9, 2009 12:54 PM

My position is quarterback. That’s what I was born to do.”
    ======================================
    Oh, I get it. The kind of “QB” that can’t pass the ball, ya, I got it now, Mike.
    You and your brother were born to be thugs, that’s what you were born to do.

29. bearsrule says: Nov 9, 2009 12:59 PM

He’s come a long way since he was looking over his shoulder and arrogantly saying “everywhere I go people love Mike Vick.” Two years away from the NFL is enormous and has hurt him badly. He just doesn’t have “it” anymore.

30. extreme469 says: Nov 9, 2009 1:48 PM

“My position is quarterback. That’s what I was born to do.”
    that is delusional…

31. redsquare says: Nov 9, 2009 1:50 PM

Plain and simple, if Vick was capable of helping the Eagles win, they’d be using him. They’re not, and he’s not. The season’s half over–there should be no issues at this point with ‘learning a system’ or conditioning. But he’s still just a cameo appearance, and has no impact when he’s in. It’s pretty obvious that opposing teams have no fear at all of this guy. And it’s obvious he’s not in any way being considered a leader on that team.
    The Vick myth is busted. He’s just another has-been. If some team is dumb enough to try and make him their starting QB, he’ll be mediocre there too. This guy has coasted on raw talent, and squandered the real opportunity he had to work hard at becoming a good QB and real team leader. Now he’s learning what life is like for a non-elite player, because that’s now his life.

32. Patches O'Houlahan says: Nov 9, 2009 1:51 PM

I don’t know why he says he is not a “wildcat qb”, that is pretty much all he did in the past anyway. He was just slightly more accurate than Jamarcus Russell but could run fast. If he only had average speed he would have been out of the league by now anyway.

33. CKL says: Nov 9, 2009 1:52 PM

# danielcp0303 says: November 9, 2009 12:24 PM
    ___________________________________
    Cosigned.
    McNabb usually plays far far worse than his Qb rating shows. He’s got shittastic accuracy.
    They showed a stat for Vick with Philly that showed he was about twice as effective yards wise running as passing. So he’s the same guy as always, really.

34. BoudreauxnThibideaux says: Nov 9, 2009 2:03 PM

Rhetorical statement: why are so many people lambasting Vick?
    I know the guy’s been to jail. He did some crappy things. My personal opinion is that he get a second chance…your past isn’t absolutely determinative of your future. Cut him some slack.

35. Bo Darville says: Nov 9, 2009 2:17 PM

Who has his CFL negotiation rights?

36. Obeah says: Nov 9, 2009 2:31 PM

I think that mike Vick was born to be a thug-life dog killing ghetto dawg. How many baby mama’s has he got?

37. GoBrowns19 says: Nov 9, 2009 2:36 PM

I am not joking when I say that it looks like prison has done its job for Vick. He seems alot more mature and is not delusional at all….unlike 98% of other NFLers. Come to Cleveland Vick, we need SOMEBODY to play quarterback!

38. jswang3 says: Nov 9, 2009 2:46 PM

It doesn’t matter if he’s lost a step he’s still better than half of these current NFL starters and surely better than their second string quarterbacks. Vick needs some goog recievers and then we can say if he was good or accurate. He really didn’t have anything to work with in Atlanta. He needed this year to see get back into game shape and to be mentored by McNabb to see how it’s really suppose to be done as a NFL quarterback. Sometimes in life you need to be humbled before you can be great.

39. tjstyles says: Nov 9, 2009 3:09 PM

To the comment earlier about the 2010 draft hurting Vick’s chances with a team because of the number of good QBs; I do believe that is a possibility, but I also think after seeing Sanchez and Stafford have trouble coming right out of college, more teams will be willing to put their new draft in behind an experienced veteran. Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are the exceptions to the rule, and I think teams have re-learned this after this season. Teams without a solid QB I think will be more inclined to draft their franchise QB, then look to insert Vick as the starter for a season to let their rookie get a better feel before throwing them to the wolves. I am still surprised the Lions started with Stafford over Culpepper this season.

40. Ocelot138 says: Nov 9, 2009 3:13 PM

# hayward giablommi says: November 9, 2009 11:45 AM
    Stay classy, Patriots fan who poops his pants with uncontrolled rage every time some troll says “Thank God for Bernard Pollard”!

41. weezilgirl says: Nov 9, 2009 4:23 PM

Let me introduce myself as a small grandmother type, with an attitude, who works undercover finding pitbull fights and pitbull hog dog rodeos. (modestly adding that I found the first hog dog rodeo in Oklahoma!! you don’t want to know what it is, if you don’t know now……it is way bloody and mean)
    Working undercover is very, very dangerous. I drive a truck with the big motor so I can generally outrun the Toyotas that those people tend to favor. I’ve gotten 6 convictions in the last 5 years.
    At first I was furious that Vick got signed to play in the NFL. After seeing the blank face, the stare straight ahead and the wooden affects of his speaking..I decided that it was a good thing he got signed. He now knows how guarded a felon has to be when he speaks in public. (well, he did know until he made the comments about the Eagles) He is learning more about himself right now than he could have learned in 10 years before prison.
    He is now, everywhere he goes, Michael Vick, dogkiller.
    I am also gratified to you gentlemen who have commented rationally (and some not so) here and have spoken your true feelings about Vick as a football player and as a man.
    This is the first forum that I’ve found that is balanced out by the people making the comments.
    I don’t have to bash Vick. In fact, none of us have to do that now. He is doing a very nice job of it himself. Bravo, Michael! You ‘ole born to be a quarterback kind of guy’……..I’m from Texas, that is why I talk “funny”.

42. weezilgirl says: Nov 9, 2009 4:26 PM

This is for you, Ocelot138……..there is a $4k prize for a good hit on him but as you say, I’m afraid they will have to leave the field to hit him and win the $. Actually, before people scream, the money goes to the player’s choice of charities.

43. SF Saints Fan says: Nov 9, 2009 5:02 PM

In my opinion Vick is done after this season. Those who think that the Eagles only signed Vick because they planned to use him as trade bait after the season fail to recognize the fact that ANY team could have signed Vick before the season and ONLY the Eagles offered him a contract. If ANY other team had wanted him before the season why didn’t they sign him then? And what has Vick done to convince any of the teams (if they exist) who may have been interested before the season to actually trade for Vick now?
    Vick was a terrible quarterback who was a “Wildcat QB” before the Wildcat Offense came into the league. Now he has proven to be even more ineffective as a Wildcat QB than he was as a conventional QB. Something that I am surprised he has been able to do.
    Vick is done.
    Nobody else wants him. If they had wanted him they would have signed him before the season.
    Any team that is worried about their QB position can trade for Brady Quinn. That would be a better option than signing Vick and that is saying something. If not, pick one of the half dozen or so good QB’s who will be coming out in the draft next year and build for the future. Vick is so much in the past.
    I wouldn’t trade a six month old Gaines Burger for the guy.

44. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Nov 9, 2009 5:02 PM

# jswang3 says: November 9, 2009 2:46 PM
    ======================================
    You are one of the last remaining Vick apologists, jswang3, congratulations.
    While all the others have have finally seen the light. you still walk around in darkness, completely oblivious to the truth.

45. SF Saints Fan says: Nov 9, 2009 5:48 PM

jswang3:
    “It doesn’t matter if he’s lost a step he’s still better than half of these current NFL starters and surely better than their second string quarterbacks. Vick needs some goog recievers (sic. good receivers) and then we can say if he was good or accurate. He really didn’t have anything to work with in Atlanta….”
    Vick had two first round receivers on the roster when he was with Atlanta:
    Michael Jenkins:
    (With Vick)
    7 Rec. 119 Yds.
    36 Rec. 508 Yds.
    39 Rec. 436 Yds.
    (Without Vick)
    53 Rec. 532 Yds.
    50 Rec. 777 Yds.
    Better stats WITHOUT VICK!
    Roddy White:
    (With Vick)
    29 Rec. 446 Yds.
    30 Rec. 506 Yds.
    (Without Vick)
    83 Rec. 1202 Yds.
    88 Rec. 1382 Yds.
    MUCH better stats WITHOUT VICK!
    Vick was/is a terrible QB. He was a Wildcat QB before the Wildcat was born. He blows in Philly and he would not get on the field at all with half the teams. He is not better than most of the second string QB’s because most of them have some upside. Vick has no upside whatsoever. I would say that he is not better than ANY of the current starting QB’s in the league.

46. raideralex99 says: Nov 9, 2009 6:26 PM

Vick looks at JaMarcus and says if he’s a starting QB in the NFL … I’m a HOFer.

47. slipkid says: Nov 9, 2009 8:01 PM

bezee
    vick would only be an improvement over jamarcus bustell. not the other guys.
    not to say they all should still start. campbell sure shouldnt.
    not even tampa needs vick. their rookie looks promising already.
    no one needs an inaccurate passer.

48. slipkid says: Nov 9, 2009 8:06 PM

he should go to buffalo. some of their idjit players want him.
    just what they need to finish that circus lineup of clowns.

49. weezilgirl says: Nov 9, 2009 9:13 PM

Didn’t T.O. want him in Buffalo? :-)

50. Zenagain says: Nov 10, 2009 1:36 AM

Agree with the guy who posted before me. What the hell do you people WANT? The man did his time. He didn’t whine, he didn’t beg, he just plain old did his time. Do you people want execution to be the penalty for EVERY CRIME? Otherwise, if the penalty for his offense was whatever 2 years?, which he served, then he’s just another guy now. Grow something resembling a frikken brain already. This is coming from a lifelong Saints fan who watched him burn my defense for several years. Do you people honestly believe that he hated dogs? Wanted to hurt them? I doubt it. He was wrapped up in that whole machismo thing thinking that “his boyz” would look up to him if he was a big ole “playa” who did dumb shit like dog fighting. It’s a culture at fault, not so much a man. All of that aside? The man did his time, let him earn his living in his chosen field. He ran the ball like a maniac but could honestly never be more than a second string QUARTERBACK in the NFL.

51. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 10, 2009 9:24 AM

Watching Vick trying to play is a struggle already. Time to hang up the cleats Mikey and do what you were born to do – clean the sh*t out of kennels.
    Vick Bounty

52. greenie says: Nov 10, 2009 10:24 AM

Vick needs to go away. He is a pig. My apologies to pigs everywhere for the insult.