Larry Johnson insists he has no anger issues

A day after he was released by the Chiefs, Larry Johnson appeared on The Dan Patrick Show and attempted to portray himself as a competitive, hard-working running back who will show respect to his coaches and help whatever team acquires him to win.

When Patrick asked Johnson if he has anger issues, Johnson insisted that he doesn’t.

“No, it’s not an anger issue,” Johnson said. “I have a competitive issue. I like to put myself in situations where I always want to win, no matter what it is. I think sometimes that gets the best of me and I become overly competitive and try to control every little thing I can to make sure I’m winning everything and everyone around me is going to win, and sometimes I lose myself in that.”

Obviously, Johnson wants to paint himself as “competitive” because he’s looking for a job and he thinks that’s what NFL coaches want to hear. But lots of guys in the NFL are competitive. They don’t all insult their coaches and use homophobic slurs.

Johnson, however, insists that his competitiveness is a positive trait, and he said that some NFL team will pick him up and see that.

“I’m still going to try to run hard on every play,” Johnson said.

Patrick asked Johnson why he didn’t show respect to Chiefs coach Todd Haley, and Johnson insisted that he likes Haley and Chiefs General Manager Scott Pioli and is sorry he won’t be able to help them turn the franchise around.

“I was — and still am — the biggest Todd Haley fan,” Johnson said. “I am a big Todd Haley fan and I’m a Scott Pioli fan.”

Johnson said he would love to prove himself elsewhere to the point that he re-signs with the Chiefs some day. But for now, he said he’ll play for whatever team is willing to have him.

Permalink 32 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Kansas City Chiefs, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
32 Responses to “Larry Johnson insists he has no anger issues”
  1. rodstiffington says: Nov 10, 2009 12:03 PM

Yes. Put yourself in positions to win? Oh yeah like beating/degrading women, you always win those LJ.

2. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 10, 2009 12:07 PM

meh. LJ’s just posturing to help himself land a job. he’s lying through his teeth with that “i’m the biggest haley fan” comment. give me a break, LJ, you’re the one who’s stupid, not us.

3. Kiss Bills Rings says: Nov 10, 2009 12:07 PM

If you don’t believe him he’ll beat your ass then Be-otch slap you like he does his women…..

4. slipkid says: Nov 10, 2009 12:12 PM

if there isnt a pro bowl line in front of him, he doesnt run hard.
    vermeil was right.

5. bearsrule says: Nov 10, 2009 12:14 PM

He’s so competitive and wants to win so bad that sometimes it causes him to abuse women and spew homophobic slurs. So what’s the problem ? It happens all the time. Right ?

6. TheDPR says: Nov 10, 2009 12:15 PM

Am I being cynical for now considering this guy a liar in addition to being human debris?

7. Florio-is-a-tool says: Nov 10, 2009 12:24 PM

He may be right – he may not have anger issues but one thing few could argue – his problem is that he’s just a jerk. Might be in his DNA or something he can’t help but clearly this is a guy who can’t hide it.
    He should never have gotten famous – worst thing that could happen to a guy with his personality.

8. Kiss Bills Rings says: Nov 10, 2009 12:29 PM

I think LJ & Tom Cable should be put in a cage & let them Duke it out….while Tom throws haymaker punches LJ will be B-slapping him silly…maybe then these two will get all that pent up anger out for good…..or if we’re lucky they’ll kill each other….Mike Vick can act as ringmaster….

9. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Nov 10, 2009 12:29 PM

“I am a big Todd Haley fan and I’m a Scott Pioli fan.”
    Later that day, Larry added that he’s also a big fan of the H1N1 virus, painful rectal itching and dental work without aenesthesia.

10. KennyPowers says: Nov 10, 2009 12:45 PM

“No, it’s not an anger issue,” Johnson said. “I have a competitive issue. That one trick I hit back in ’05, she beat me in pin ball. The year before, I punched some tramp in the face because she could shotgun a beer faster than me. It’s just something about losing to these hoes that makes me go crazy! I ain’t got no anger issues though!”

11. JetGreeeen says: Nov 10, 2009 1:07 PM

The man is just saying and doing what he feels….give him a break. Florio knows first hand that it’s the montra of the Gay agenda???
    Remember……when you go against nature and decency, there is hell to pay.

12. Hovenaut says: Nov 10, 2009 1:10 PM

His next contract will include a provision for two sets of Hulk hands. He’s likely to burn through a set every six months.

13. smo05d says: Nov 10, 2009 1:28 PM

seriously, you had to edit out ‘schm*ck’?

14. KingJoe! says: Nov 10, 2009 1:29 PM

He may not have anger issues, but it is my belief that he is a homophobic racist. I believe he is the guy who on top of using a F word about gays, spoke openly about not wanting to play for a white coach

15. kirt says: Nov 10, 2009 1:30 PM

Larry runs with anger and hits his tacklers with pads. Oh let nuter all foot ball players since all aggression is bad and no one can change or grow up.

16. Gautam says: Nov 10, 2009 1:31 PM

when will these d-bags ever learn!

17. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 10, 2009 1:39 PM

iiiphreak – yes, THAT makes it all better.

18. Anthony Litton says: Nov 10, 2009 1:43 PM

iiiphreak –
    Did you forget that whole part when he said that Todd Haley was merely a golf coach and that his father had more credentials than he did? Or his conflicts with Vermeil? Or even Kawika Mitchell chiming in about him?
    Or am I just an idiot?

19. Spanna says: Nov 10, 2009 1:54 PM

LJ has no anger issues in much the same way Lindsay Lohan has no cocaine issues….

20. frox says: Nov 10, 2009 1:57 PM

Was he high during this interview?
    iiiphreak, you might want to go back and check your facts. This is from LJ’s own Twitter account. In other words, these are HIS words, not the media’d and not KC Fans.
    “My father played for the coach from “rememeber the titans”. Our coach played golf. My father played for redskins briefley. Our coach. Nuthn.”

21. Lost says: Nov 10, 2009 2:00 PM

Its not because LJ beats up women repeatedly.
    Its not that he called out fans who didn’t want him to break the all-time rushing yards record.
    Its not that he used a derogative term to describe Kansas City sports reporters trying to score an interview.
    Its not that he doesn’t respect his coaches.
    The real problem is the team doesn’t like him and each time they pay him his $ 4.55 m it makes a bad situation worsen.

22. Richm2256 says: Nov 10, 2009 2:08 PM

iiiphreak, I believe Johnson was also caught calling Haley a “fag”, and you seem to have forgotten that Johnson trashed Haley a few weeks ago in comparing his father to Haley.

23. iiiphreak says: Nov 10, 2009 2:54 PM

Wow, that’s throwing the coach under the bus with the facts! That’s sooooooooo bad thing LJ said about Haley that left bunch of you all worked up for. (rolling eye up.)
    Idiots.

24. justathought says: Nov 10, 2009 3:03 PM

I haven’t seen the interview…just wondering
    did Dan Patrick smile, smirk or laugh out loud when Larry Johnson told him he was a big fan of Haley and Pioli?

25. Hype says: Nov 10, 2009 3:05 PM

I think LJ & Tom Cable should be put in a cage & let them Duke it out….
    Thats your first problem…you were thinking. Stop now and save yourself the embarrassment.

26. justathought says: Nov 10, 2009 3:08 PM

didn’t catch the interview…just curious…did Dan Patrick smile, smirk or laugh out loud when L.J. told him he was a big fan of Haley and Pioli….?

27. doublefishhook says: Nov 10, 2009 3:37 PM

Maybe the Skins can sign Larry so he can smack some sense into Dan Snyder the way he does his ladies!

28. TWAdeKCMO says: Nov 10, 2009 4:34 PM

All I can say is to all you people out there who think you want this loser on your team, keep your late teenage to late twenty something daughters out of the clubs or this cretin will beat her up. That’s the kind of “I don’t have an anger issue” you’ll be dealing with. We’re not just talking about saying some things off the field, the guys issue is he’s a misogynist. He wasn’t fighting dogs, as heinous as that is, he was smacking girls around inside the finer clubs on Kansas City’s Country Club Plaza. I hope he does get signed and I hope he plays against our team someday, because I hope when that day comes our D will rise up and smack that idiot!

29. TWAdeKCMO says: Nov 10, 2009 4:36 PM

I wish the Chiefs would sign that female soccer player from New Mexico for their D just so she could kick LJ’s backside should he ever play in Arrowhead again!

30. KCbornanbred says: Nov 10, 2009 7:49 PM

I live one mile from Arrowhead, pay mega taxes for the renovation and I for one am a little peeved that anyone thinks LJ is a decent guy. The night he spit on the girl at the club, I was 4 rows behind him at an NBA preseason game between Blazers and Hawks. Some little kid pointed him out to his mom and what does this supposed hard working competitive guy say??? His response to under 11 year old kid…”What up cuzz” This dude is a wanna-be thug, and rumors have swirled around Kansas City for a while hes gay himself. Its not that hes abusing women so much as its him cat-fighting.

31. YUHaiwing says: Nov 10, 2009 9:55 PM

iiiphreak must be Larry Johnson.
    there’s no other way anyone can defend what he said about Haley. Fact is, Haley has stuck with Johnson (to a fault even), despite his poor production, and then Johnson throws him under the bus. Johnson is a prime A douchebag. I hope no one signs him, although if he signs and fails horribly that would be funny too.

32. bankmeister says: Nov 11, 2009 12:19 AM

@iiiphreak:
    It is the presence of people like you on this planet that give the rest of us the serenity to move forth knowing that we are not wallowing in a cesspool of stupidity, simply because we are looking down upon you and the rest of you that are.