Runyan could be runnin' for Congress

Long-time NFL offensive lineman Jon Runyan busted his ass in the offseason to recover from microfracture surgery aimed at allowing him to resume his career.

But once he was cleared to play again, he received scattered interest, but no acceptable offers.

So now he’s exploring his post-football opportunities, and he’s considering entering a realm that might even be more challenging that full-contact athletics.

Politics.

Per various reports (we were first tipped off by the folks at HuggingHaroldReynolds.com), Runyan could be running for Congress in New Jersey.

Runyan has not made his intentions known.  If it happens, Runyan would be running as a Republican, and he would ultimately be challenging incumbent John Adler, a Democrat.

First, Runyan would have to secure the Republican nomination via the primary process.

We’re assuming that Runyan’s platform will focus on the right to bear arms.  Really hairy arms.

Permalink 21 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
21 Responses to “Runyan could be runnin' for Congress”
  1. Opie says: Nov 11, 2009 10:12 AM

He would certainly be endorsed by the HMFA!
    (Hairy Mother F’ers Association) of which I, myself, am a charter member…..

2. Cubano says: Nov 11, 2009 10:16 AM

God Bless America! But Florio, I don’t understand what I’m reading here. There’s no mention of Mangini anywhere in this post? That’s over 20 min’s w/ no mention of that fat bastard? Come on….get on with it, and let me know what puppies and old people Mangini kicked on his way to work this morning!
    Good Day Sir……I said Good Day!

3. TD21 says: Nov 11, 2009 10:18 AM

Can he play right guard? If so, the Chargers should bring him in and bench Clary…the right side of their line is terrible..

4. homercles82 says: Nov 11, 2009 10:28 AM

He is a republican, time to bash him!

5. chapnasty says: Nov 11, 2009 10:28 AM

Florio send a text to your Butt Buddy Olbermann and have him go on damage control. We can’t have republicans running for anything.

6. Gweez says: Nov 11, 2009 10:32 AM

But Congress play dirty. How will he rectify that with his….oh never mind.

7. TransplantedFan says: Nov 11, 2009 10:35 AM

Haha, I don’t even care what his policies are, I’ll vote for him! If I lived in New Jersey that is…

8. cantgetenough says: Nov 11, 2009 10:47 AM

I would vote for him. I think what this country needs is less “politicians” and more people that are willing to work for “we the people!”

9. Electrogasm says: Nov 11, 2009 10:52 AM

Makes sense that this durable and intelligent Right Tackle would run as a Republican. He’s reliable and employs strategies that are for the better of the team (see Brian Westbrook vs. the Cowboys) rather than individual glory and power.
    Now that the corrupt Corzine was voted out of office, things are looking up for New Jersey!

10. mustbechris says: Nov 11, 2009 11:10 AM

I was about to say “I wish I was a republican from new jersey, cause I’d vote for him”…but then I remembered, I don’t wish I was a republican, and I definitely don’t wish I was from the dirty jerz…

11. Gweez says: Nov 11, 2009 11:17 AM

Umm he is also one of the dirtiest players to ever play in the NFL. He’ll fit right in. If this guy was nice he’d go get his hair removed that grows like weeds all over his body. His poor wife.

12. stefanovich says: Nov 11, 2009 11:28 AM

I love how people are already planning to vote for him, without knowing anything about his platform or leadership style.
    Most of us should never be permitted inside a voting booth.

13. F-Dallas says: Nov 11, 2009 11:34 AM

No surprise one of the dirtiest, unethical, brutish players of all time is a Republican.
    He’ll fit right in with the rest of the trash in the GOP (or what remains of the GOP)

14. Crushitlong says: Nov 11, 2009 12:31 PM

Call the Packers. They need all the OT help they can get.

15. mixman34 says: Nov 11, 2009 12:42 PM

@ F-Dallas
    Go ahead keep righting off the GOP. We love it. You watch too much CNN.

16. ocelots138 says: Nov 11, 2009 1:45 PM

I think he’s WRITING off the GOP, mixman34.
    Clearly you’re a product of the type of education system that creates Republicans.
    That being said, I’d like to hear what Runyan has to say. Apparently he’s hella smart.

17. mixman34 says: Nov 11, 2009 2:12 PM

@ ocelots138
    Clearly you missed my play on words. next time i’ll CAPITALIZE it for all the lefties that take everything at face value.

18. Kevin from Philly says: Nov 11, 2009 2:55 PM

I’ve met some Jersey politicians. Most of them could use a good pancake block followed by a few late hits.

19. The Real Shuxion says: Nov 11, 2009 3:03 PM

——————————————————-
    If democrats are so friggen smart then why are the states in the worst financial crisis all blue states (New York (Bankrupt by December) , Massachusetts, Rhode Island, California (Republican gov but democrat state senate who won’t give him anything to work with)?

20. ocelots138 says: Nov 11, 2009 4:05 PM

# The Real Shuxion says: November 11, 2009 3:03 PM
    —————–
    Take a look at the tax dollars vs. federal expenditure. With the exception of Texas, the top 10 states in the Union that pay more taxes than they get back in federal funds are BLUE states.
    This means they are economically sufficient states that need less federal help to remain solvent.
    The bottom 10? Red States. This means they pay less in taxes than they receive from the government. Which means the Federal government is using Blue State tax dollars to prop up the insolvent state governments of Red States.
    But this information requires, you know, some knowledge and research. I can’t just tune into some fat, bloated druggie radio host to be told how to think.

21. ocelots138 says: Nov 11, 2009 4:07 PM

# Kevin from Philly says: November 11, 2009 2:55 PM
    ———————-
    Runyan is going to eyegouge his way all the way to the Governors Mansion!