Porter ditches the trash talk, temporarily

After talking big in advance of a big game with the Patriots and then failing to show up when said game started, Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter apparently has learned a lesson.

“Even me, I know that after you lose a game and you don’t perform, at some point in time, you have to just take a step back,” Porter said during his weekly NFL Network segment, per Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald.

So is this the end?  No more oft-incomprehensible blather from a player whose skills have been in steady decline over the past few years?  Could it be?

“I’m going to be me,” Porter said.  “That’s the good thing that you have to like about me.  Win, lose or draw, I’m going to tell it like it is.”

Except when his team loses and he contributes as much to the cause as someone who doesn’t play for the team.  In that case, it’s probably smart to choose silence over telling it like it is.

But, hey, if the Dolphins beat the Bucs on Sunday, maybe Porter will “tell it like it is” regarding Tampa Bay tight end Kellen Winslow.  Again.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Porter ditches the trash talk, temporarily”
  1. GRpatriot says: Nov 13, 2009 8:12 AM

A little late, Joey! Do your job and STFU!

2. Brohamma says: Nov 13, 2009 8:19 AM

Please please please… let Joey get a beatdown again. I’m no fan of Winslow, but I’m really hoping that he gets to decleat big-mouthed Porter a time or two.

3. BasicInstinct says: Nov 13, 2009 8:24 AM

Here is some trash talk, and I apologize for putting it here. I am so pissed about last night’s game that I have to say something. Here is a dirty rumor but I just have to say it.
    Jay Cutler is a Drunk!!!! This must be his problem.
    No one makes the stupid decisions he makes without some underlying issue. It is like he simply blacks out on what he should be doing. It needs to be addressed. He probably gets drunk every night.
    Or, is he on some crazy medication with the diabetes?
    But if I look at his picture, I would say: He is a F*cking Drunk!
    Can someone tell me I am wrong?

4. FireJerryJones says: Nov 13, 2009 8:30 AM

The guy can’t play anymore>

5. TFBuckFutter says: Nov 13, 2009 8:41 AM

“I’m going to be me,” Porter said. “That’s the good thing that you have to like about me. Win, lose or draw, I’m going to tell it like it is.”
    Except that “lose” part, after the “lose” part and I have embarrassed myself, I’ll shut the hell up until I actually have a reason to talk again.

6. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Nov 13, 2009 8:48 AM

Hahahahahahaha, Peepee, I mean Peezy isnt going to stop talking trash, all he is doing is changing it from “talking trash” to “telling it like it is”. What is the difference???
    Vernon Davis “told it like it is” and Chicago perceived that as “trash talk”……… The only difference is his team won…..

7. I_Hate_Yams says: Nov 13, 2009 8:57 AM

I wish he would STFU once and for all. His act is tired.

8. Richm2256 says: Nov 13, 2009 9:23 AM

“Win, lose or draw, I’m going to tell it like it is.”
    Really Joey? Funny that we don’t hear you saying that you sucked last Sunday. You know, like it “was”.

9. pfii63 says: Nov 13, 2009 9:26 AM

You can’t “tell it like it is” when you fail to walk the talk.
    Suggestion to Joey: Keep your yap shut longer than this week, because the Patriots will be shutting you down again in just four games.
    This p.o.s is definitely in decline… the only thing that makes him newsworthy is his mouth, not his play on the field.

10. MistrezzRachael says: Nov 13, 2009 9:33 AM

Perhaps Porter shouldn’t have spoken @ all this season.
    12 TACKLES by a 3-4 LB..in 8 games ??? Talk about being impotent. ..That is awful.
    Porters sacks have ALWAYS come when team is way ahead..never in close games, or games dolphins were behind….so think Simeon Rice and you have another fraud…..His guaranteed salary has kept fins from getting sorely needed depth.
    This is JP’s last year in Miami…good riddance.

11. Deb says: Nov 13, 2009 9:42 AM

You know, Mike, prior to SBXL Joey had a war of words with then Seattle tight end Jerramy Stevens. After the game, reporters couldn’t wait to corner Porter in the locker room to get some kill quotes figuring Joey would have a lot to say about the big drops Stevens had in the game. Joey told them to forget it. He said that even though his team won he didn’t make any significant contributions so he had nothing to brag about. He told it like it was, owned up to his on-field failures, and there was nothing incomprehensible about his humility or the compassion he showed a defeated opponent.
    Right now I can think of sports commentators who could learn from the example. Give it a rest.

12. borg says: Nov 13, 2009 9:43 AM

“A player whose skills have been in steady decline over the past few years.”………Florio Florio Florio….maybe your skills are in decline….Is this the same Porter that was sected to the Pro Bowl in 2009. Try thinking before writing and you won’t come off as such a gossip girl.

13. ampats says: Nov 13, 2009 9:53 AM

Congratulations Zero Joey,
    Its about time you realized that You can’t walk the walk so don’t talk the talk and have proven all this season its time to hang them up!!
    Better to spend your time what you are good at:
    Gathering your homeboys and stomping on people in Las Vegas casinos.
    Congrats to the Steelers, they knew when to dump your sorry excuse.

14. Wick says: Nov 13, 2009 10:30 AM

Gotta head to work soon, so gotta make this short. I take exception to the substance and tenor of the comment (and spin) that Peezy’s skills are in decline.
    Peezy’s production has remained high when his knee hasn’t been acting up – and he plays hurt.
    Ask any Pittsburgh Steeler he played with what kind of man he is too.
    Damn Florio – don’t become TMZ, and sink down to pouncing on opps to cast or portray people in the most negative light possible. Love the site, and love the writing — but gotta voice out if something aint right. And this aint right.
    Steeler Nation still loves Peezy.

15. GRpatriot says: Nov 13, 2009 10:34 AM

The amazing thing about Porter is he’s a Team Captain!!! That’s on Sparono…
    Really surprised that Parcell’s hasn’t come down hard on him! I guess Bill’s getting soft in his old age? I can’t imagine this BS happening to other Parcell Teams. Well, maybe LT but, he always backed it up….

16. chunky soupy sales says: Nov 13, 2009 11:14 AM

I hate when people with big mouths say they are ” just telling it like it is”.
    Because if he was telling it like it is he would say he ran his mouth then got spanked into submission.
    Keep telling it like it aint, weezy.

17. rusH1023 says: Nov 13, 2009 11:19 AM

BasicInstinct -
    You’re an idiot.

18. ZombieRevolution says: Nov 13, 2009 11:37 AM

“Except when his team loses and he contributes as much to the cause as someone who doesn’t play for the team. ”
    You know Porter did not have a good game, but he did play a part in the game, taking on an occasional double team, playing contain on outside runs and so on. You don’t think that NE paid special attention to him after his comments do you?
    To equate Porter’s play with Florio’s level of envolvement in that game is once again making fun of a player good enough to play a sport Florio lacks any skill to participate in, at any level. Oh wait- Florio can trash talk at Porters level- just read PFT any day.

19. overkil2 says: Nov 13, 2009 11:58 AM

“borg says:
    November 13, 2009 9:43 AM

I’m a big Dolphin fan, but wtf does last year’s pro bowl have to do with the way he’s playing this year? He isn’t producing plain and simple. if he’s hurt, then don’t play him and play Cameron Wake.
    I’m getting really tired of the trash talk without being able to back it up. We aren’t the Jets.

20. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 13, 2009 12:15 PM

at least porter’s admitting he’s not contributing and that he hasn’t backed up his talk. i can’t say the same for rex ryan.
    he’s just a vocal player, like ochocinco or TO. they just say what’s on their mind. its funny and amusing when they produce, annoying and absurd when they don’t. you win some, you lose some, but they always talk. nothing new here.

21. Deb says: Nov 13, 2009 2:22 PM

@GRPatriot … Assume it’s the same in Miami as Pittsburgh–which means Joey was elected captain by his teammates. If you researched, you’d learn he’s a great teammate who cares about fellow players. Steelers loved him–still do. Among the many things he did to honor his teammates there was insist Jerome Bettis run onto the field alone for SBXL–though it was Joey’s job to lead the defense onto the field first. He wanted Jerome to have the spotlight instead of him.
    Joey’s older, injured, and getting extra attention from offensive lines because of his Pro Bowl season last year. So his performance has declined. From the posts here, it’s obvious Steeler fans are still loyal to players who once served them well, while Miami fans only care what’s in it for them today. Maybe fan loyalty is one reason we’ve been consistently successful.
    Funny how everyone loves the Mouth in Cincy who only wants attention for himself. But they hate Joey who’s expressing passion for his team. Yeah, 85′s backing it up–now. So did Joey most of his career. But time and injury will catch up to Chad, too.

22. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 13, 2009 3:15 PM

Deb – agreed and thank you.

23. straightcashhomey says: Nov 13, 2009 3:59 PM

Deb- Porter sux. deal with it. Your are like his PR person on here. He talked smacked and never backed it up. He deserves all the comments on here. Thats what happens when you talk a big game and have zero’s across the board.

24. Deb says: Nov 13, 2009 9:41 PM

@texasPHINSfan … I really appreciated your comment, too.
    @straightcashhomey … I am Joey’s PR person on here. He earned it. Deal with it.

25. Tim says: Nov 14, 2009 1:28 AM

The guy is playing injured. He missed the Bills game, and he’s been on the stationary bike every week this season.