Giants becoming punchline in New York

With the afterglow of the Yankees championship wearing off, New York sports fans are turning their attention to the home football teams.  And they don’t like what they see.

The Jets have lost four of five games, with the only win against Oakland.  The Giants have lost four straight. And New York is not a fun town to be in when you are losing.

Late Night host David Letterman piled on Tom Coughlin’s crew Friday night, saying that he felt no need to go out to see the new disaster flick 2012.

“If I want to see something collapse, if I want to see the complete devastation and total implosion of something, I’ll just go out to the Meadowlands and watch the Giants,” Letterman joked.

Zing!

The Giants are on a bye this week, then face four straight winning teams.  (They are 1-4 this year against teams with a winning record.)  One positive is that starting cornerback Aaron Ross practiced this week for the first time since September and could return after the bye. Ultimately, the Giants need their biggest strength — the pass rush — to step up.

Otherwise, they’ll be the punchline of a lot more jokes before the end of the season.

Permalink 25 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Giants, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
25 Responses to “Giants becoming punchline in New York”
  1. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Nov 14, 2009 3:11 PM

The best, was when that clown from the Jets, one of their defensive backs, made the statement that he didnt think anyone could beat the Jets, and they might go undefeated…….

2. fahlen says: Nov 14, 2009 3:18 PM

Wonder when Tom is gonna give a press conference and rip on Dave for cheating on his wife and self destructing his own marriage by banging staffers in his love nest.

3. ShawshankReception says: Nov 14, 2009 3:18 PM

Or we could watch Letterman’s marriage crumble.

4. Sporkdevil says: Nov 14, 2009 3:20 PM

I bet this will be Rosenthal’s last post, for acknowledging a TV network that isn’t NBC.
    Good one by Letterman though.

5. sn@ke says: Nov 14, 2009 3:29 PM

What does Letterman’s marriage have to do with the Giants being a joke with a hairlip QB?

6. Bigbluefan says: Nov 14, 2009 3:34 PM

To anyone not from Pitt or Indy shut up
    Your teams have not won anything Tom C coached a SB champion team Eli has been MVP
    So all you haters can kiss my Jersey Ass

7. ninjaneer says: Nov 14, 2009 3:48 PM

Bigbluefan,
    key words “has been”…sucks when your team is losing huh? now tell me how my team cant win in December and its been 13 seasons without a playoff win…key words “has been”…double standard huh, bub? if ya wanna talk about what youve done in the past, dont discount what others have done in the past as well…cant wait for revenge in the meadowlands

8. ocelots138 says: Nov 14, 2009 3:49 PM

ShawshankReception says:
    November 14, 2009 3:18 PM
    Or we could watch Letterman’s marriage crumble
    ——————–
    Classy. You’re a fine representation of your city’s fans.

9. ocelots138 says: Nov 14, 2009 3:51 PM

Bigbluefan says:
    November 14, 2009 3:34 PM
    So all you haters can kiss my Jersey Ass
    —————
    What’s the difference between Jersey girls and trash? Trash gets picked up every once and a while.

10. Bigbluefan says: Nov 14, 2009 3:53 PM

Lettermen sleeping wtih any of your employees?
    This man has proven to be a peice of shit
    Using his positon to get in young womens pants he would never get if not the boss and his remarks about Sara Pallins daughter at the yankee game this guy is a perv with a thing for young women
    The water boy for the giants could kick his ass all over NYC

11. Sourdough says: Nov 14, 2009 4:10 PM

@BigBluefan What have YOU won?
    No need to answer, it’s a rhetorical question…poser.

12. jan van flac says: Nov 14, 2009 4:38 PM

i mean, really, all in the sudden the Bucs and Titans are respectable and the Giants aren’t?

13. Ralphie says: Nov 14, 2009 5:09 PM

The Giants were a punchline until they caught lightning in the bottle at the end of the 07 season and won the SB. All that season (and years before) the fans and the tabloids screamed about firing TC, and that Eli was a dog.
    Now thery’re a fuc*ing dynasty (at least thats’ what BigBlueFan will tell you). Bottom line: If you’re not winning in NY you suck in NY. If Giants have a bad season this year and miss the playoffs that nasty love that was present the 3 years before their SB is right back in play. Eli is overrated also, at best a middle of the pack QB. He didn’t win that SB, Spagnuolo’s game plan and that D-LIne did. he gets WAY too much credit because of his last name.
    BigBlueFan. Show me YOUR SB ring, loudmouth.

14. mr.kush says: Nov 14, 2009 5:23 PM

letterman is a joke, dude if your gonna cheat on your wife, make sure the homewrecker actually looks good and isn’t some wack production assistant.

15. VoxVeritas says: Nov 14, 2009 5:40 PM

“i am by no means a Giants fan and don’t really like Tom Coughlin as a coach but I live in NY and I don’t think it’s fair to say they are a “joke” because they’ve lost a few games.”
    And people care so much because you’ve been so fair.
    That’s sarcasm.
    20-16.

16. The Notorious V.I.C. says: Nov 14, 2009 5:54 PM

17. Ralphie says: Nov 14, 2009 6:07 PM

@The Notorious V.I.C. says:
    November 14, 2009 5:54 PM
    “Hey “ralphie”, Eli Manning played great football during that Giants Super Bowl run (as did Plaxico and their DLine), and that’s a fact.”
    ___________________________________
    Here’s a fact for you, Eli, he just made sure he didn’t fuc*k up a defensive strategy that had the game in the bag. Take the rose colored glasses off. The only important thing he did was make sure that Tyree had enough stick em’ smeared on his helmet. If you are trying to tell me that was an awesome pass to Plax I say “Bullsh*t. Hobbs was busted in two and couldn’t even get off the line at that point of the game. It was just pitch and catch between Cheddar Bob and Gomer Pyle at that point.
    Spangnuolo should have gotten that MVP trophy for his game plan, not Gomer Pyle.

18. penguininbondage says: Nov 14, 2009 6:28 PM

They won their superbowl, good for them. Whatever the problem is in NY, it’s the whole team. Changing a D coordinator shouldn’t have made that much difference.
    I think Eli is hurt. I think the D is banged up. We’ll see after their bye.

19. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Nov 14, 2009 6:33 PM

What a difference a month makes, in October, BigBlueFan could tell us enough, how awesome the Giants were, how they were practically a dynasty because Asante Samual dropped 2 int;s on the final drive……give me a break dude, the Giants are heading back to reality.

20. azure says: Nov 14, 2009 7:28 PM

“# Sporkdevil says: November 14, 2009 3:20 PM
    Good one by Letterman though.”
    AWESOME! So true. The White House will now declare war upon him for being a free thinking individual.

21. Pantherfan10 says: Nov 14, 2009 8:31 PM

Its just more garbage being stirred up by the typical “New York media”. This is what they call a slow news day…The numbers say no one has been eliminated from the playoffs yet so lets not go doomsday on any teams.(although its obvious teams like Tampa and Cleveland won’t realistically be making it)
    Remember when Pitts won the Super Bowl recently as a wild card? (it pains me to say that) Shit happens in the NFL, I dislike both NY teams but cause I don’t like them dosn’t mean what the media says is remotely true. Media today is 95% opinion and 5% information.

22. jan van flac says: Nov 14, 2009 10:46 PM

And people care so much because you’ve been so fair.
    That’s sarcasm.
    20-16. ”
    ooh…a four point victory in midseason. Let’s crown the Cowboys superbowl champs. Bet you were crowing when they beat the Eagles in week 2 on monday night last year too. Remind me, what happened the rest of the season?
    Hate to say it but no one in the NFC east is really that good this year.

23. FumbleNuts says: Nov 14, 2009 10:55 PM

I bet you could fry an egg on Tom Coughlin’s head!

24. Danwahl80 says: Nov 15, 2009 1:59 AM

Ralphie wrote: “If you are trying to tell me that was an awesome pass to Plax I say “Bullsh*t. Hobbs was busted in two and couldn’t even get off the line at that point of the game.”
    ———————
    More like Hobbs got faked out of his jock, bit on the inside move, and got toasted by Plaxico on a great play call by Kevin Gilbride at that point in the game.
    ———————-
    ocelots 138 wrote: “Uh, no thanks. Kissing someone from New Jersey is the equivalent of swallowing a few mouthfuls of sewage water. Your state is the garbage heap of two cities (Philly and New York) and you’re the joke of the nation.
    ———————
    What’s the difference between you and trash? Nothing.

25. koyote_ken says: Nov 15, 2009 5:34 PM

No, of course not……
    You insult all women from New Jersey yet I’m the one exploiting it…I suppose you beat your women as well? I guess in trailer-trash land where you come from thats accepted, “Internet Tough Guy”…………
    You’re a pathetic human being