Urlacher went to bat for convicted Chicago politician

Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher, whose previous involvement with the judicial system has been confined to tales of painted toenails in family court, extended an apparent professional courtesy earlier this year by sending a letter to a federal judge on behalf of a former Chicago politician who was awaiting sentencing on charges of mail fraud.

Urlacher requested leniency for former Alderman Ed Vrdolyak, saying that Vrdolyak is a “father figure.”

“It is clear to anyone lucky enough to know him that all his actions are motivated by good intentions,” Urlacher wrote, according to the Chicago Tribune.

Former Bears defensive tackle Tank Johnson, who has a much more intimate experience with matters of this nature, also sent a letter on behalf of Vrdolyak.

“During my tenure in Chicago,” Johnson wrote, “I put myself into many tough situations by making bad decisions.  Mr. Vrdolyak and I developed a close relationship during this period.  He mentored me and told me a better path to take. He told me things about life and family that I still hold dear today.  He was pretty tough on me, and I benefitted from it.”

The irony, of course, is that Vrdolyak made at least one very bad decision of his own.

But the letters didn’t hurt.  Vrdolyak received no jail time; he was instead placed on five years’ probation.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Legal, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
15 Responses to “Urlacher went to bat for convicted Chicago politician”
  1. Ralphie says: Nov 14, 2009 11:07 AM

Florio, Pitt mustard, no dominoes in S FL, going to bat for a “mail frauder”? This is going to be one of your patented “everything but the game of football” Saturday’s I presume?

2. Richm2256 says: Nov 14, 2009 11:44 AM

Painted toenails????

3. Deb says: Nov 14, 2009 11:49 AM

I’m a little confused. Why is this PFT-worthy? And I have to echo Richm2256: Painted toenails????

4. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 14, 2009 11:51 AM

Plenty of players went to bat for a convicted felon who actually went to prison.
    Has been done for more than one person who was convicted as well.
    Care to guess who a few are?

5. AbeFreshly says: Nov 14, 2009 12:15 PM

LOL Ralphie. As I am typing this right now, I am still chortling to myself.
    How about: “In other news, Darius Heyward Bey and Louis Murphy were spotted outside a Piggly Wiggly, carrying a bag of groceries each. They both dropped the bags before getting to their car, but were overheard commending each other for their downfield blocking.
    Javon Walker (who was waiting for them inside the car) was seen shaking his head, with his hand over his eyes, & heard muttering “Never send boys to do a man’s job…””

6. Satanic Hell Creature says: Nov 14, 2009 12:20 PM

just about every politician from Chicago is corrupt all the way up to the mayor(s). The history of Illinois politics in general is an embarrassment to the state. Even the most famous one right now.

7. bearsrule says: Nov 14, 2009 12:27 PM

It says a ton for Ed Vrdolyak that Brian Urlacher and Tank Johnson are character witnesses. That’s actually funny.

8. bluestree says: Nov 14, 2009 12:41 PM

Satanic Hell Creature must be from “one of the more patriotic parts of the country”. Sarah, is that you? Pervy Harvin wanted to know if you had any picture of Todd shirtless?

9. SATAN says: Nov 14, 2009 12:52 PM

The sentencing was in Febuary so why it comes out today is anyones guess.
    As for it making PFT I think Florio’s philosophy is to print almost any story that has an NFL connection on PFT. I mean no one forced you to read it

10. rockotica says: Nov 14, 2009 1:08 PM

for decades and decades the Chicago/Illinois police & politicians have the well earned reputation of being among the most brutal, corrupt and “connected” forces in the history of the world [looooong b4 B.O.]. just thought i’d add that.

11. zoinks says: Nov 14, 2009 1:08 PM

As opposed to politics outside Illinois, which is always on the level, and filled with honest, straightforward citizens who have only the best interests of their constituency at heart.

12. deymond says: Nov 14, 2009 1:25 PM

Actually, Zoinks has a point. It’s not the politicians who are to blame; it is their nature to do whatever they can get away with. The people who accept them are to blame (that means you, Zoinks).

13. Mike Florio says: Nov 14, 2009 1:47 PM

I added a link to explain the painted toenails thing.

14. sevendollarbologna says: Nov 14, 2009 3:24 PM

My dad painted my toenails when I was a kid–I turned out fine!
    signed,
    Jeff Garcia

15. Quagmire says: Nov 14, 2009 3:58 PM

Yeah, a real saint, he’s all about the people.
    Maybe he was going to donate the $1.5 million kickback to the poor.