Former NFL player Brock Lesnar is seriously ill

This one isn’t about any current NFL player, but since UFC champ Brock Lesnar had a rest stop with the NFL’s Vikings on his path from pro wrestling to MMA, it’s worth a quick mention that something seems to be very wrong with the guy.

Dana White, the president of UFC (which is sort of like referring to the guy who runs the Hell’s Angels as the “emperor” of the club), said that Lesnar has been hospitalized, and that he’s seriously ill.

“He’s in rough shape, he’s in really bad shape,” White said Saturday after UFC’s consecutively-numbered monthly pay-per-view event.

“He is not well and he is not getting any better. . . . He’s very,
very sick and he’s going to be out for a while.  He’s got a lot of
problems. . . .  He’s got mono and he’s got something else wrong with him.  I know
what’s wrong with him, he just doesn’t want me talking about it,” White
said, as . . . he . . . talked about it.

“He doesn’t have cancer or AIDS or anything like this, [but] he’s got some problems, man. . . .  He’s not going to be getting well any time soon.”

Given that this whole UFC thing (advance apologies to Jay Glazer and MDS) strikes us as “real” pro wrestling, we think it makes sense to at least wonder whether this is some kind of a publicity stunt.

If it is, it’s working.

If it isn’t, we wish Lesnar the best as he recovers from something other than the diseases to which White apparently believes a stigma attaches.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Former NFL player Brock Lesnar is seriously ill”
  1. Ronworth Dubbs says: Nov 15, 2009 5:08 AM

He probably saw Fedor knock out Brett Rodgers and got a case of the Please don’t make me fight him’s.

2. Silvino says: Nov 15, 2009 5:14 AM

This wouldn’t generate the type of publicity you’re thinking of. Anyone who cares about MMA will read about this while anyone who doesn’t won’t hear about it or care.
    I’m not a Brock fan but I hope the guy ends up ok even if his career ends up being over from some type of long term ailment.

3. Karl says: Nov 15, 2009 5:35 AM

Whatevs. Dana White won’t say anything so I guess that leaves us free to speculate. If I go with logic I say this is complications from mono. But since I can speculate freely this is complications from steroids compounded with complications from mono.
    Good luck with that whole…”mono and something else wrong with you” stuff, Brock.

4. SlipperyPete says: Nov 15, 2009 6:06 AM

He had a recently scheduled fight postponed into January, so I don’t think it’s any kind of publicity stunt. Dana White has tried to build the UFC by copying boxing more than pro wrestling, so that he can get it sanctioned in more states. He’s really trying to build it into a “legitimate” sport, so I don’t think he’s into publicity stunts.
    I had heard it was H1N1, but either way Brock has been sick for over a month. And just for the record, if he were healthy and fighting Fedor, Brock would destroy him.

5. DanSnyder says: Nov 15, 2009 6:19 AM

Trust me it is not a publicity stunt. He just had to cancel/postpone a UFC event and that means HUGE amounts of $$$ being lost. Consider he is the Heavyweight Champion with no one really looking able to stop him within UFC. People want to see Lesnar, I want to see Lesnar. He is a freak and the only heavyweight as good or better then him in all of MMA (fedor) is not in the UFC and just finished beating Brett Rogers.

6. EdDraves says: Nov 15, 2009 6:42 AM

I love Pro football but after the tuck rule, spygate, fining coaches and players for pointing out inconsistencies, the antics of “Ocho Cinco” etc. pro football has more in common with WWE than UFC does.

7. Bwa Ha Ha says: Nov 15, 2009 7:00 AM

(This ones for you, Florio)
    He prolly caught polio from Brett Favre
    (How that for a tie in?)

8. Big Stretch says: Nov 15, 2009 7:31 AM

Comparing MMA to WWE is ridicuous. That statement demonstrates your ignorance on anything not football or lawyer related, and I’m still not sure how much you really know about football. So congratulations on insulting the integrity of one of the baddest men on the planet. For your sake I hope Brock doesn’t read this site.

9. Iverson says: Nov 15, 2009 8:00 AM

Word is that its Kidney failure from steroid usage……..

10. nasheagles says: Nov 15, 2009 8:02 AM

the only thing the Fedor fight proved was why Fedor didnt sign with the UFC… b/c Brock never lets him off the Matt.
    Unless Fedor Catches him standing up .. Fedor gets pounded out… Bret Rogers was too big for him.

11. DookiesDeposit says: Nov 15, 2009 8:14 AM

I smell liver problems after all of the (alleged) steroid abuse. When will these guys ever learn ?

12. shadowman1433 says: Nov 15, 2009 8:24 AM

Steroids will do that to you.

13. mulletious says: Nov 15, 2009 8:59 AM

doubt its the H1N1 since that is not so serious…
    I’m thinking he looks like the syphilis type.

14. leatherneck says: Nov 15, 2009 9:02 AM

Dudes. Have him take garlic supplements plus a lot of Vitamin C. It’s supposed to help with the swine flu.

15. bearsrule says: Nov 15, 2009 9:21 AM

I suppose you already know that fanning the flames increases them. It’s also a good way to get the meatballs fired up. You will succeed on both accounts. Good job, Mike. Did you win a bet ?

16. khuman says: Nov 15, 2009 9:30 AM

Honestly florio why insult that which you clearly 1. Don’t understand and 2. Have failed to invest time to understand. Stick to what you know. MMA is THE most physically demanding sport (all of the ex NFL players competing on TUF right now all share a propensity to tire after 1 round). While it is true that there is a redneck bloodthirsty subculture who only enjoy seeing people get knocked out, that’s true for any sport and I’m offended you lumped me and others in that category. I watch it for the technique and strategy involved, and I train it for the same reason. Diss MMA again and I’ll stop coming to this site every day, which I have since the days when you used to insult ESPN writers as those belonging to the “real media”

17. kaostheory says: Nov 15, 2009 9:32 AM

Just a couple minor corrections. Saturday’s UFC event (UFC 105) was not pay-per view, it was free on Spike TV. Also, UFC events are more than monthly (UFC 105 was yesterday 11/14 and UFC 106 is next Saturday 11/21).

18. rockotica says: Nov 15, 2009 9:44 AM

Dana is an insincere publicity tool so nothing he says can be taken seriously ever. and as for the guy who couldnt made the vikings practice squad aka lesner, thats what happens when u get a giant mens anatomy part tattooed on ur chest!

19. Twiz says: Nov 15, 2009 9:47 AM

# Big Stretch says: November 15, 2009 7:31 AM
    __________________________
    Actually what is ridiculous is your obviously lack of knowledge of the two. Both need conditioned athletes that know what they are doing or they would seriously hurt the other. Both are accused constantly of their members abusing steroids. Both have people go from one to the other. Currently the names that come to mind that have gone from WWE to MMA are Lesnar and Bobby Lashley. In the past from MMA to WWE have been Ken Shamrock and one other whos name I can’t remember (blackstone maybe)??

20. rockotica says: Nov 15, 2009 9:50 AM

21. scrapdawg12 says: Nov 15, 2009 10:13 AM

All you people and your steroid talk are ridiculous. The WWE has steroid testing. He tried out for the Vikings and had to pass a steroid test. The UFC tests their people for steroids. He was a Division 1 Wrestler and I believe in D1 they are drug tested as well. So when did he use steroids? I believe Mono affects your liver so he probably has something a matter with his liver. I just hope he is alright and is able to continue with his career in a year. It would be a shame to end your career because of illness. My other speculation is that he has a staph infection along with mono. We’ll know someday when its released.

22. Fan_Of_ Four says: Nov 15, 2009 10:16 AM

What the hell is MMA and who is Brock whathisname?

23. PervyHarvin says: Nov 15, 2009 10:23 AM

First or all, I live in MN and am very familiar with many MMA fighters,Brock included. I train the stand up game as I was a professional boxer for several years. MMA Florio is a very REAL sport Florio with very dedicated athletes. To suggest that this is a publicity stunt is a vote of total ignorance on your part. Brock lost a substantial amount of money in not being able to fight Carwin last night as was scheduled. Brock is a devoted family man with a new child and wife he adores. To make light of his current situation is a lack of class that sickens me. To all of you that are joking about him,you are sickening lil pukes that would have shit running down their leg in his presence, Grow up. Wish him luck in his recovery. Florio,you keep up your WWE style football reporting and leave the MMA for people that know what the hell they are talking about.

24. hafftime33 says: Nov 15, 2009 10:27 AM

did it ever occur to anyone that maybe he spent a night in a hotel room with ben rothlisberger ?

25. mnmaverick says: Nov 15, 2009 10:40 AM

Swine Flu is a strong possibility. I have relatives living in Alexandria. It’s like being in the country. Farm land all around you.
    Brock bought a private lot of land next to my uncle’s up there. My uncle sold him his lot a year or so ago as the financial jam of the recession hit.
    I bet you anything it’s the swine flu though.

26. bearsrule says: Nov 15, 2009 10:43 AM

If it’s not steroids or something related to steroid use, what’s the big secret ? Posters shouldn’t be guessing what his illness is. Why won’t White say what’s wrong with Lesnar? Curious.

27. mnmaverick says: Nov 15, 2009 10:47 AM

It’s all over Google, Brock has the Swine Flu.

28. SFrancis1680 says: Nov 15, 2009 10:56 AM

IF his health issues are STEROID RELATED, it would make sense that he would want to keep it under wraps, with the time Lesnar spent as a pro wrestler, to see the number of guys who died b/4 the age of 50, that were STEROID RELATED, if that didn’t scare the crap out of him, and he thought it was worth the risk…

29. PervyHarvin says: Nov 15, 2009 10:59 AM

Actually,Brock was scheduled to fight Carwin at UFC 106, not 105 last night. My mistake. It started out as mono but after he collapsed in Canada,was found to have another problem. That we will never know until released to public. Best wishes to Brock and his family.

30. apage53915 says: Nov 15, 2009 11:07 AM

Mike, you may think it is funny making fun of MMA and comparing it to pro wrestling but to insult your loyal readers who may enjoy and respect MMA is not a wise thing to do, the people who read this site can turn on you as quick as they turned on to you, I think an apology is neccessary. I as a lot of pro football fans do love MMA and I am not a fan of Brock Lesnar but I do respect him and sincerely hopes he gets better soon.

31. Richm2256 says: Nov 15, 2009 11:16 AM

“He’s got a lot of problems. . . . He’s got mono and he’s got something else wrong with him. I know what’s wrong with him, he just doesn’t want me talking about it,” White said, as . . . he . . . talked about it.”
    Glad you respected his wishes, douchebag.

32. Richm2256 says: Nov 15, 2009 11:21 AM

“Diss MMA again and I’ll stop coming to this site every day, which I have since the days when you used to insult ESPN writers as those belonging to the “real media”
    Nooooooooooooooo, DON’T LEAVE US!!!!! WE LOVE YOUR POSTINGS!!!!!!!!
    Nah, I’m just messin’ with you. We don’t give a $hit if we never hear from you again.

33. Richm2256 says: Nov 15, 2009 11:26 AM

“Just a few weeks ago they found pigs at the Minnesota State fair had a strain of the virus. A day or so later Turkeys in Canada had it. It’s been spreading like wildfire.”
    Turkeys having sex with pigs …. there ya go.

34. VoxVeritas says: Nov 15, 2009 11:50 AM

35. hotchick says: Nov 15, 2009 11:55 AM

“the best as he recovers from something other than the diseases to which White apparently believes a stigma attaches.”
    My God man. What a leap. I’d expect this from one of us dumbasses who wastes brain cells commenting.
    But geesh, why do you assume a stigma? Why not assume he meant he didn’t have a disease that most people link to a death sentence?
    Sure many associate a stigma to AIDS, but what’s the stigma with cancer?

36. DonkeyRider says: Nov 15, 2009 12:06 PM

How is this a publicity stunt? As previously posted, the man is sick and is losing a very large paycheck by not fighting. Additionally, if he is unable to defend his title for an extended period of time, it is likely that the title will be vacated and he will no longer be the heavy weight champion. So which is more likely?
    1.) A professional fighter and title holder is faking an illness and missing a paycheck for publicity.
    OR
    2.) The man is extremely ill and hospitalized for good reason.

37. CYGNUS X-1 says: Nov 15, 2009 12:14 PM

to the people who know whar mma is about this is not funny.Lesnar is the best there is and anybody who doubts that needs to look at what fedor did last week.you think lesnar would just stand there with him bleeding like a stuck pig?he would have destroyed him before that 1st round ended.he is just lucky it was an inexperianced kid in there against him.Lesnar is the reason fedor did not/won’t sign with ufc.as for florio posting this he doesn’t know what he is talking about half the time anyway so it is no surprise.it used to be fun reading the rumors here before he became such an expert at all things football.he knows so much it’s a wonder he isn’t running a team but he could if he wanted just ask him.he said he could run the browns but doesn’t want to go near it.

38. Blahman64 says: Nov 15, 2009 12:17 PM

Hope all is well for a fellow South Dakotan.

39. mnmaverick says: Nov 15, 2009 7:46 PM

Richm2256 says:
    November 15, 2009 11:26 AM
    Turkeys having sex with pigs …. there ya go.
    —————————————————————————
    The Swine Flu has been killing people. It’s not a laughing matter.

40. nancy says: Nov 16, 2009 5:25 PM

I cannot believe that someone who considers themselves a sports “journalist” in the United States of all places- still thinks the way he does about MMA. He needs to research MMA and its beginnings. I’d like to see what would happen to the writer of this article against someone like Vanderlei Silva, Fedor Emilienenko, anyone with the last name Gracie- hell, even Gina Corano- would he still think it is fake if he entered the octagon with any of these people??? MMA is not the barbaric no holds barred type of event it was when it first started. These men and women are serious athletes that train for years to reach a certain level. Granted Dana White may not be the best ‘ambassador’ for the sport of MMA- I’m not a fan of his by any means and I think the Fertitta brothers could find someone better to sell the sport throughout the world- but to compare MMA to pro wrestling? Come on. It is obvious that the writer of this article knows NOTHING of MMA, otherwise he would realize why it has one of the fastest growing sports audiences in North America.
    As for Brock Lesnar- I am no fan of his either- but I do wish him well and that he has a full recovery from whatever is ailing him.

41. CornFlorio says: Nov 18, 2009 8:03 PM

Richm2256 says:
    November 15, 2009 11:21 AM
    Nooooooooooooooo, DON’T LEAVE US!!!!! WE LOVE YOUR POSTINGS!!!!!!!!
    _________
    Hey khuman,
    I’ll gladly sponsor you to get in the ring with this PUSSY Pats fan and beat the crap out of him like he has been getting the crap beaten out of him for all of his miserable life. LMFAO!!!!
    I’m sure that Florio would just LOVE to write about that! Ha ha ha!