Packers lead defensive struggle in Green Bay

Mason Crosby booted a 48-yard field goal as time expired in the first half today in Green Bay, giving the Packers the only points of the game so far against the Dallas Cowboys.

The 3-0 game has featured plenty of hard-hitting defense as well as quite a bit of sloppy offense on both sides.

Dallas has managed just three first downs, and the Packers have had Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo under pressure throughout. The Packers’ defense has recorded three sacks, and Romo has been hurried several more times.

Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers, meanwhile, has been sacked twice and pressured repeatedly, and although the Packers’ offensive line has often been blamed this season for failing to protect Rodgers, more and more league observers are starting to point out that Rodgers deserves a healthy share of the blame for all the times he’s been sacked.

Troy Aikman, calling the game for Fox, has pointed out that Rodgers’ inability to read blitzes properly has led to him being blindsided by pass rushers he didn’t see, and during the second quarter, Rich Eisen of NFL Network offered this assessment on Twitter: “The lack of a clock in Aaron Rodgers’ head sometimes borders on the absurd. On that last play, it went well past absurd into inconceivable.”

About the only positive thing that can be said about the two offenses on the field is that they’ve combined for just one turnover. That one was a lost fumble by Cowboys wide receiver Roy Williams, who has a game-high 60 receiving yards.

Permalink 43 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Dallas Cowboys, Green Bay Packers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
43 Responses to “Packers lead defensive struggle in Green Bay”
  1. Did you catch the Viking-Packer at Lambeau game Bob Nelson? says: Nov 15, 2009 7:08 PM

Mike McCarthy will have all the refs fired for not giving him that extra challenge

2. PervyHarvin says: Nov 15, 2009 7:26 PM

The Pack is great!! The Saints really suck. Go Vikings! LOL It is our year!

3. LBPACKFAN says: Nov 15, 2009 7:38 PM

Pervy —
    Vikes dominate…Pack dominate. What can we bitch about this week? LOL
    (Yes..you’re 8-1 and arguable best in NFC….I am happy with 5-4 after lasts week loss)

4. gavinmac says: Nov 15, 2009 7:41 PM

The refs should have penalized McCarthy 15 yards for throwing the challenge flag when he had no challenges left. Rule 15, section 9.

5. Fire Ted says: Nov 15, 2009 7:48 PM

Yeah…the Saints suck. You got taken to the 4th quarter by the Lions, at home, and the Saints suck. Pervy, you are a f–king douche.

6. mike says: Nov 15, 2009 7:49 PM

Good Game

7. PervyHarvin says: Nov 15, 2009 8:22 PM

Fire Ted says:
    November 15, 2009 7:48 PM
    ————————————————–
    LOL Listen pin dick, we made a seasons worth of mistakes and penalties and still thrashed the Lions. Can you say 500 yds. offense? Favre throwing like he was 23. Did you catch our D? The Pack fans should fire you, you are an embarrassment to the fan base!!

8. PervyHarvin says: Nov 15, 2009 8:28 PM

LBPACKFAN says:
    November 15, 2009 7:38 PM
    Pervy —
    Vikes dominate…Pack dominate. What can we bitch about this week? LOL
    ————————————————–
    You know,I said the Pack would win all week. Good for you guys. Wanted Dallas to go down. Being a fan is just plain fun to me,I don’t hate rival teams or opponents. Just bleed purple. Enjoy the win.

9. mikethevike says: Nov 16, 2009 12:22 AM

FIRE TED! Only 4 sacks allowed today thats pretty good but not good enough if you want to be a playoff team. I give kudos though you guys beat a decent team. ALMOST makes up for getting beat by Tampa. lol

10. chickenfootishunglikeachicken says: Nov 16, 2009 12:40 AM

pervy, cheer for your own team. we don’t need any of you minnesotah scum cheering for our packers. you queens fans are all jinxes. everything you cheer for either breaks before the year is done or just plain falls apart come playoff time.

11. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 16, 2009 7:47 AM

WOW.
    Wasn’t it just last year that the NFC East was called “The Beast”? What the hell happened? We got Philly losing to Oakland, Giants’ pathetic performance last week, Redskins-enough said, and now this. I gotta say, as a non-NFC East fan, I love it.
    As a Packer fan (and NOT a shareholder), I am pleasantly shocked we got this win. I honestly didn’t think we had a chance in hell after that Tampa debacle. The only way I could be happier is if they followed up the win by firing Thompson anyway.
    I still don’t know exactly what a “come to Jesus” meeting is, but I hope McCarthy holds one every week now. The defense finally looked like it was capable of living up to expectations, and even though the Swiss still sucked, it was FAR less bad than it has been so far this season.
    Cowboys fans: I think you’ll lose the lead on that division fairly soon now. Vital weaknesses were exposed yesterday, you can be sure every team you face will watch that film repeatedly and find a way to take advantage.
    Pack fans: At last, finally some good news. Let’s enjoy it while it lasts, because I can’t honestly say I think it will.

12. PervyHarvin says: Nov 16, 2009 8:36 AM

chickenfootishunglikeachicken says:
    November 16, 2009 12:40 AM
    ————————————————–
    By the looks of your username,chickenfoot must have mowed your dumb ass down a few times. Good for him. Jinxes? LOL I cheer for the Favre and Vikes every week and they seem to be just fine thanks!

13. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 8:59 AM

Beer Cheese Soup,
    Way to be positive. Dallas is a good team. They didn’t play well, had some missed opportunites, and ran into a Green Bay defense playing with a sense of urgenccy. 4 sacks isn’t disaster. This season is far from over as I had been saying all week. Look at the NFC standings. Green Bay is tied for a wild card. Green Bay runs the ball decently. Do we have pass protection issues? Of course. We are in November now and these games in the future we will see a huge dose of Ryan Grant I believe. The sacks are a problem yes. But I believe it will become less of a problem with each week that passes. On to San Fran.

14. kenyatta says: Nov 16, 2009 9:44 AM

Fuggin Romo better step it up december is around the corner ,his history in december is poor im looking for 9 wins ,Roy Williams is nothing more than a average reciever so Jerry lets go out and get a diva this off season ,to play along side of Austin

15. Chickenfoot says: Nov 16, 2009 10:16 AM

Yeah Pervy, that sad sack can’t even come in under his own screen name he had to dedicate one to me…lol
    And he thinks this bothers me how?
    From the looks of his post he is either retarded or 12 years old.
    I know I’m doing my job when i have people using my name in theirs, kinda like the 4 idiots I had called RagnerHater when I was RagnertheViking, before I was banned under that name.
    Pack impressed me yesterday, let’s see if they sustain it though.
    Vikes looked crappy but still dominated.
    Rice is a freaking stud.
    Congrats Super and Beer.

16. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 10:43 AM

I saw alot of this last week.
    Dallas loss
    SF loss
    Detroit win
    balt loss
    The list goes on and it really was silly then and you all look sillier now. We all know nothing.

17. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 16, 2009 11:02 AM

Chickenfoot says:
    Pack impressed me yesterday, let’s see if they sustain it though.
    Vikes looked crappy but still dominated.
    Rice is a freaking stud.
    Congrats Super and Beer.
    ____________________________________
    Thanks. Vikings have always had a tendency to look past the Lions (see 12-10 last year). Fortunately, the Lions suck bad enough for you to beat them anyway. Couldn’t agree more about Rice either. Been a long time since I’ve seen a top WR like that wear purple.
    A win’s a win. You guys are 8-1, I’m happy enough just to not be already eliminated. On to next week.

18. PervyHarvin says: Nov 16, 2009 11:02 AM

@ Chickenfoot – You obviously caused him great mental anguish lol Vikes looked terrible much of the time. But when you can make all those mistakes and still win and pile up those yards,pretty impressive. Rice shows that hard work pays off. Not to mention a 40 yr. old genetic freak passing better than in his MVP days throwing to him. Pretty safe going to Rice deep, nobody going to out jump him. Love it.

19. Chickenfoot says: Nov 16, 2009 11:22 AM

Super:
    Try to nurse that boner you got going there.
    They are 5-4, an average team.
    What I am saying is don’t get too excited.
    Any one in their right mind would have thought Dallas had this game.
    They were embarassesd for their showing at Tampa. I think any team they played was in for a dogfight after that.
    I don’t see the sustaining that tenacity for the rest of the year.
    I will let you enjoy the win though.
    There are some tough defenses coming up on your schedule.
    You will know what this team is soon.
    The rest of us already do.
    9-7 tops. Book it!

20. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 11:34 AM

Beer Cheese you haev embarrassed yourself way to many times to be enjoying a win. You cannot want failure by the head honcho and call your self a fan. You have embarrased yourself so much that I am embarrased for you. You are not a packer fan.

21. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 11:40 AM

Chicken you have been wrong on your book its and print its more then I can count. Your predicted win total seems to slowly rise. Last week it was 8-8 tops. The point I was making is that we know nothing. Collectively. We know absolutely nothing about what is going to happen in the NFL. Myself, yourself, all of us are NFL dummies who think we know..but we dont know a friggin thing. All the pack “fans” and pack “haters” that wrote this team off look foolish. They looked foolish last week. I have no boner over one win. Just like I dont call for heads after a loss or two. You seem to have misinterpreted my post. I m not proclaimg greatness. Im simply stating that the posters on here (me included) know absolutely nothign and to keep this site from getting out of hand (may be too late) we should realize we know nothing and accept that.

22. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 11:42 AM

PS..Chicken
    “I don’t see the sustaining tenacity for the rest of the year” – Chickenfoot
    Ok then screw it they’re done. If Chickenfoot or any other NFL nobody (myself included) says it on PFT talk then there is no hope. Now I’m sad.

23. footballrulz says: Nov 16, 2009 11:50 AM

Thank God–a ray of sunshine in Packland. Defense finally showed what it is capable of, however, thanks must be given to Romo. He missed a couple throws that could have been either huge gains or TD’s.
    McChuckles continued to show his brilliance with an idiotic challenge. 1st & goal on the 2?
    Can’t believe the Pack finally beat Dallas. Hopefully they can sustain this momentum. Still lots of room for improvement and the last 2 weeks have definitely paid hommage to the adage,
    On any given Sunday.

24. Chickenfoot says: Nov 16, 2009 11:52 AM

The win total went up by one….because they beat Dallas……Make sense?
    I’ve been wrong about the Bengals.
    Denver is slowly crashing back down to earth though aren’t they?
    I’m still flummoxed over that challenge that Mumbles had on the 1 yard line.
    AND then to not know he was out of challenges?!
    Don’t be sad Super, just face reality. The Packers are an average team.
    That is all. The great and powerful Chicken has spoken!

25. PervyHarvin says: Nov 16, 2009 12:00 PM

Supersuckers says:
    November 16, 2009 11:40 AM
    ————————————————–
    Dude,lighten up! LOL That is what sites like this is for. Talk a lot of shit and see if it comes to light. You know, like the over paid douches on tv do every day. Sure,none of us can predict anything, but it is fun trying to.

26. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 16, 2009 12:05 PM

Supersuckers says:
    ____________________________________
    You remind me of all these morons that say it’s unamerican to exercise your rights and express dislike for the president. Hey douchebag, unlike you, my loyalty is to the TEAM, not those who are running it into the ground.
    We’ve been over this time and time again. I want this team to WIN. You know, like a fan does? I’m absolutely ecstatic that they won yesterday. I want them to win every game. I just realize that no team led by your Lord, Savior, and object of lustful desire Ted has ever been able to win consistently. Therefore I want him gone, again, so they can WIN.
    How exactly then, if I want the team to win at all costs, am I not a fan? I’m forever a Packers fan. You’re a Ted fan. There are also Favre fans. Unlike them, I will always pull for my team, no matter who’s on it.
    Just as dissent is patriotic, Loving the Pack and realizing their upper management stinks are not mutually exclusive, as you would have us believe. Thank you, come again.

27. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 12:29 PM

Beer Cheese,’
    IF and I stress IF the Packers make the playoffs and perhaps win a game or two would you still want Thompson gone? 200 Main Street La Crosse Wisconsin. Google map it. Im in the brick building with the sushi restaurant. 2nd floor. I can assume since you are so brave as to call me a douchebag on here that I can expect your arrival to do the same to my face? your penchant for that word can mean only one thing. your woman has a rotten stinky cooter and you see them used and unused on a daily basis.
    YOU are not qualified to determine if upper management stinks. Neither am I. They know more then we do. Way more then you do.
    Pervy,
    I do not need to lighten up. Everyone else does on here with the name calling the calling of heads the morons (like me) that think they know more about the game then the people whose career is in the NFL. Silly is all. We all are silly nobodies.

28. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 12:32 PM

Or better yet Beer Cheese why don’t you let me know where you are at and I’ll stop and get your old lady soem fresh douchebags on the way and THEN you can say it to my face. Deal?

29. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 16, 2009 12:37 PM

PervyHarvin says:
    ____________________________________
    Well put Pervy. I don’t see anyone here arguing that we’re not exactly experts and none of us have a crystal ball. That shouldn’t mean we’re not able to get on here and talk some football. If anyone thinks it does, I say let him go first.
    That means you Suck, among others. If you think none of us should post on here just because we’re not all-knowing gods, then by all means, quit posting on here. Many of us will thank you for it.

30. PervyHarvin says: Nov 16, 2009 1:05 PM

LMAO And I thought PacMan vs. Cotto was a good fight! Supersuckers vs. BeerCheeseSoup is better and doesn’t cost $50 PPV bones! LOL

31. Adam-Chris Scheftersen says: Nov 16, 2009 1:49 PM

Chickenfoot says:
    November 16, 2009 10:16 AM
    And he thinks this bothers me how?
    From the looks of his post he is either retarded or 12 years old.
    Pack impressed me yesterday, let’s see if they sustain it though.
    Vikes looked crappy but still dominated.
    Rice is a freaking stud.
    Congrats Super and Beer.
    —————————-
    Somehow I knew you were Fagnar. Same presentation, same excessive use of the return key, same idiotic points. I meant to call you on it, but don’t think I ever did. And your appearance here seemed to correlate with Fagnar’s disappearance.
    Do you remember me? I’m under a new name too. Not for being banned, though.
    By the way, I think there was only one Ragnarhater.
    And Rice is not a stud. Tell him to ask Billy Schroeder, Antonio Freeman, Javon Walker, Corey Bradford, Robert Ferguson and a whole bunch of other guys about Favre’s impact on receiving stats. When Favre hangs it up (again), Rice will return to relative mediocrity. Let’s hope for your sake Childress recognizes the Favre bump and doesn’t break the bank to pay him.

32. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 16, 2009 1:50 PM

Suck says:
    ____________________________________
    Nope. In fact, I said that already. One playoff win with this team, and I’ll be happy. I just want to win. If Thompson proves me (and every other Packer fan) wrong, and shows he can, in fact, field a competitive team, I’ll personally mail him an apology letter for everything I’ve said against him. However, I don’t see that happening, and by your gratuitous use of capital if’s, it doesn’t appear you do either.
    Suck also says:
    ____________________________________
    Man, you are a very insecure person. I feel sorry for you. Everyone on this site gets called names, yet somehow you’re the one that can’t handle it. There is a term for that…
    Fine. I’m about two hours north of Seattle, near the Canadian border. Since I’m not quite stupid enough to post my address and/or specific directions to the PFT lunatic crowd, you go ahead and tell me when you get to the airport, and we’ll make the arrangements then.
    PervyHarvin says:
    ____________________________________
    Actually, it costs more than that. We’ll bill your card once it’s over lol.

33. Chickenfoot says: Nov 16, 2009 2:51 PM

Adam-Chris Scheftersen says:
    November 16, 2009 1:49 PM
    Chickenfoot says:
    November 16, 2009 10:16 AM
    And he thinks this bothers me how?
    From the looks of his post he is either retarded or 12 years old.
    Pack impressed me yesterday, let’s see if they sustain it though.
    Vikes looked crappy but still dominated.
    Rice is a freaking stud.
    Congrats Super and Beer.
    —————————-
    Do you remember me? I’m under a new name too. Not for being banned, though.
    By the way, I think there was only one Ragnarhater.
    =================================
    Pissandmoanerson:
    Umm, no, I don’t remember you and I could care less who you are( most likely “jimi”cos though.)
    That turd in a blanket hasn’t been on here in forever.
    You know I use the “excessive return key” because it irritates people, don’t you?
    You telling me I have idiotic points is like John Holmes tellin me I have a small penis.
    Do you get that correlation?
    Since it is painfully obvious reading comprehension isn’t your strong suit, It means you are a bigger idiot than I, and that renders any point you try to make moot.
    For the record, there were 3, again, who cares?
    Nah, Rice isn’t a stud. Nope. It’s all Favre…lol
    Do you watch any of the games? Or is this just another Adam “special observation?
    He’s making some incredible catches, even when the ball isn’t where it’s supposed to be.
    That’s typical of you though, piss on anything Viking.
    You were doing so good, minding your own business, no you are going to try to pick fights again?
    If you want to be humiliated more, I’m up for it.
    But truth be told, it’s losing it’s luster, you are just not that good of a poster. It gets dull making you look like a fool, because it’s so easy.
    I do notice you keep your bitch mouth shut when the packers are losing, only to let your mouth run when they win, that’s a typical Packer fan though.
    Come on Adam, dazzle me now. You know you can’t just walk away, you gotta run your mouth.
    I’m sure it will be the same inane blather about stats , stats ,stats.
    Idiot

34. PervyHarvin says: Nov 16, 2009 3:16 PM

@ BeerCheeseSoup – Best get to fighting then,I want to get what I pay for lol

35. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 3:21 PM

Beer Cheese,
    Insecure? Yeah everyone is about something. But my insecurities have nothing to do with being called names on a computer. What my problem is is I have a 6 month clock for a explosion that is way overdue and you seem like the perfect candidate and the one most in need of having a 55 gallon drum of asswhoop poured all over you. I’ll try to hold you to that apology letter that you will never send but noble words at least.

36. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 3:40 PM

First one (Williams fumble) came from both upstairs and on field. Second one (Nelson) was a time-clock issue; wasn’t sure would get call in, so once got below 10 seconds on play clock, would have had to take timeout anyway so decided to challenge. Emotions factored, but in hindsight, “you probably don’t want to do that because we’re first-and-inches.”
    McCarthy on the Challenges.

37. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 16, 2009 5:43 PM

Suck says:
    ____________________________________
    I’ll never send it, because the Packers aren’t going to win any playoff games (“IF” they even make the postseason), with no leadership or blocking.
    This is the NFL, not the Big Ten. Again, if I’m wrong (unlikely), I WILL send it, and I’ll send you a copy as well. I seem to have your address.
    As for your anger management issues, this is a blog designed to discuss and sometimes argue about football. If you can’t handle that, don’t blame it on me. I’m not the one who’s in love with, and and therefore forced to constantly defend, a bug-eyed, white haired, incompetent, six foot tall barn owl. Get some help.

38. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 10:02 PM

Beer Cheese,
    Ripping on the physical appearance of a human being is somewhat sad. I’ve done it. Not proud of it. Please upload a photo of yourself and let us all see what your physical appearance is. i eagerly await your photo. You can send it to tornoutlaw2@hotmail.com. I will consider your non compliance your concesssion to being one ugly SOB with NO football knowledge. I admitted my flaw. What is yours? And how long have you felt that way?
    in regards to your bullshit “packer fan prediction of no playoff games” again…I am forced to call you out as a NFL nobody. Becasue you don’t know. YouTHINK you know. But you know nothing. You are not a fan. You are a site clown with no credibility and no faith.

39. Supersuckers says: Nov 16, 2009 10:06 PM

Beer Cheese,
    You have no credentials to argue or discuss football (neither do I) When you can handle facts like (5-4) and in the wild card lead instead of speculating based upon what you watch on a ten second delay TV copy of a game..you may appear smarter. Until then you are a hater who gave up on this team at the friggin’ mid point of the seaon. you obviously have not followed this league for very long.

40. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 16, 2009 11:41 PM

Suck says:
    Beer Cheese,
    You have no credentials to argue or discuss football (neither do I)…
    ____________________________________
    If that’s how you feel, then why do you continue to argue and discuss football? I mean, you have no credentials right? So what exactly are you doing here?

41. Supersuckers says: Nov 17, 2009 9:09 AM

Making you admit that you are a football idiot. Which you did.

42. Beer Cheese Soup says: Nov 17, 2009 12:49 PM

Suck says:
    Making you admit that you are a football idiot. Which you did.
    ____________________________________
    I’m done with you. You need to grow up, or get some help with your rather serious insecurity issues.
    You want to keep getting butthurt over everyday trash talk, pretending you’re winning arguments when you clearly aren’t, contradicting yourself and spewing hypocrisy with every post, and most of all defending Thompson, you go ahead and do so. I don’t care, you’ve wasted more than enough of my time. Now you can go waste someone else’s.
    There’s simply no getting through to someone as insanely nonsensical as you. So I’m done trying. Have a nice life.

43. Supersuckers says: Nov 17, 2009 1:15 PM

No your not. What is “butthurt?” I never spill hypocrisy (name a case) and always include myself as a know nothing when I state a opinion. You state your know nothing opinions as if you know something. Which you do not. You know nothing. Same with me. I am not sure how anything I have written on here comes across as insecure. please explain and provide a example of my PFT insecurity.