The Miami Dolphins placed linebacker Joey Porter on the inactive list for Sunday’s win over the Buccaneers for reasons that may have had something to do with Porter’s mouth, or misleading the team about why he needed to leave a practice early, or maybe just the fact that Porter isn’t playing all that well this season.
But whatever the reasons, Porter says that people shouldn’t be putting the focus on him.
“At the end of the day it was never about me,” Porter told reporters today, per Omar Kelly of the Sun-Sentinel. “Last week proves it’s not about me. You guys make it about [me], and that’s fine. . . . It’s really not about what I’m doing.”
That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense: How is Porter’s benching not about Porter? Who else would it be about?
But while Porter says it’s not about him, he also says that his deactivation was not about an injury, and that he’s in great shape at age 32.
“After 32 years I think I know me better than anybody,” he said. “Can’t nobody do me better than [I] can do me. So if I say I know I’m healthy, I don’t think I have to figure it out. How do I know? Because I know.”
Porter says he’ll be ready to go on a short work week at the Carolina Panthers on Thursday.