Joey Porter: "It was never about me"

The Miami Dolphins placed linebacker Joey Porter on the inactive list for Sunday’s win over the Buccaneers for reasons that may have had something to do with Porter’s mouth, or misleading the team about why he needed to leave a practice early, or maybe just the fact that Porter isn’t playing all that well this season.

But whatever the reasons, Porter says that people shouldn’t be putting the focus on him.

“At the end of the day it was never about me,” Porter told reporters today, per Omar Kelly of the Sun-Sentinel. “Last week proves it’s not about me. You guys make it about [me], and that’s fine. . . . It’s really not about what I’m doing.”

That doesn’t make a whole lot of sense: How is Porter’s benching not about Porter? Who else would it be about?

But while Porter says it’s not about him, he also says that his deactivation was not about an injury, and that he’s in great shape at age 32.

“After 32 years I think I know me better than anybody,” he said. “Can’t nobody do me better than [I] can do me. So if I say I know I’m healthy, I don’t think I have to figure it out. How do I know? Because I know.”

Porter says he’ll be ready to go on a short work week at the Carolina Panthers on Thursday.

Permalink 18 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
18 Responses to “Joey Porter: "It was never about me"”
  1. urbusted says: Nov 16, 2009 6:03 PM

Hey JOEY, Winslow wants to through your punk ass out of bounds again.

2. Citizen Strange says: Nov 16, 2009 6:04 PM

“Can’t nobody do me better than [I] can do me.” — Handy Andy

3. TFBuckFutter says: Nov 16, 2009 6:06 PM

“After 32 years I think I know me better than anybody,” he said. “Can’t nobody do me better than [I] can do me.”
    Joey Porter likes to masturbate.

4. Richm2256 says: Nov 16, 2009 6:11 PM

“So if I say I know I’m healthy, I don’t think I have to figure it out. How do I know? Because I know.”
    translation for all you yahoo’s who were making excuses for him since they announced his benching:
    His hammy is FINE…… he simply sucks now.

5. tdprog1 says: Nov 16, 2009 6:19 PM

K2 throwing Porter in that 2006 game in Cleveland was fantastic. Thrown like a rag doll! I encourage everybody to look it up on youtube.

6. Fan_Of_ Four says: Nov 16, 2009 6:20 PM

“Can’t nobody do me better than [I] can do me.”
    Cue Banjos …
    Now make yourself squeal like a pig.

7. bearsrule says: Nov 16, 2009 6:21 PM

He’s avoiding the subject and wants it to go away. He’s not hurt a bit. The Dolphins have had their fill.

8. longrodvanhungendong says: Nov 16, 2009 6:26 PM

I had no idea Porter was soo articulate and philosophical. Can’t wait for this guy to get a book deal……….

9. Uncle Leo says: Nov 16, 2009 6:38 PM

He is certainly not the Master of his Domain

10. WTE says: Nov 16, 2009 7:52 PM

“Can’t nobody do me better than [I] can do me.”
    Next time try this one instead: {and use a British accent}
    ” I think tonight I fancy myself .”

11. slipkid says: Nov 16, 2009 8:16 PM

he aint even the master of his dominoes
    he’s toast. he has been skating for 5 years and was never ever really that good.

12. ampats says: Nov 16, 2009 8:28 PM

ZERO

13. timbo33 says: Nov 16, 2009 8:43 PM

That don’t make no sense

14. Mr.D says: Nov 16, 2009 8:59 PM

“Hey JOEY, Winslow wants to through your punk ass out of bounds again.”
    Hey urbusted !!! learn how to spell!

15. FireJerryJones says: Nov 16, 2009 9:37 PM

view from the sidelines
    k2 on joey.

16. Deb says: Nov 16, 2009 9:54 PM

So now we’re going after players for being inarticulate? If he were a broadcaster, I might understand that. As it is, I don’t really get the purpose of the post. Players are usually the last to know whether they’re slowing down, so there’s not a lot of news value in this.

17. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Nov 17, 2009 8:31 AM

# Deb says: November 16, 2009 9:54 PM
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Though I understand your point Deb, I also think that Porter is fair game. If a player spends that much time talking, the foolishness that comes out of his mouth is certainly going to be ridiculed. Especially someone that isnt humble (you know, like a guy that spend a whole week talking trash, gets nothing but 0′s in the stat sheet, and then bitches out and doesnt talk after the game)………
    Now, if a player that doesnt talk very much, like say Polomalu (since you are a Pitt fan, I figured I would use that example) gets ridiculed for what he says, then I think your point applies…..

18. Deb says: Nov 17, 2009 12:17 PM

@Chin …
    When Joey was with us, I used to want to whack him for running his mouth. It made me cringe sometimes. But (I’m gonna go all girl on you) there was something endearing about Joey. He did so many nice things for his teammates. And I’ve seen him be humble. I’ve seen him take responsibility when he played poorly and refuse to rub an opponents nose in a loss.
    That passion is real. Even Sparano said so in last Friday’s press conference. It’s team-based more than me-based. I know everyone loves Chad Johnson, and he’s certainly articulate, charming, and funny. But he’s about Chad. He’s setting up Chad for a post-football career. For Joey, it’s all about winning. That’s his schtick–mouth the opponents to death LOL Sometimes he makes me think of a kid. He has kid-like enthusiasm–and sometimes he has a kid-like tendency to talk without thinking. But I think he’s basically a good guy and I wish people would stop picking on him (and I know that sounds just like a girl LOL)