Westbrook will see concussion specialist

After suffering concussions in each of his last two games, Eagles running back Brian Westbrook is taking a serious look at his ability to play.

Westbrook will be evaluated at the same facility that previously evaluated Cowboys quarterback Troy Aikman, 49ers quarterback Steve Young, and linebacker Bill Romanowski.

Hopefully, the answer is both.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Westbrook will see concussion specialist”
  1. Evpimp says: Nov 17, 2009 2:25 PM

concussion specialist: you should never play again!!!
    Westbrook: puts 400 grand on the table
    concussion specialist: Hows next week sound???

2. Bwa Ha Ha says: Nov 17, 2009 2:36 PM

I’m gonaa take a guess that his agent has made him get insurance for career ending injury. The specialist will be important if he is to collect on the policy.

3. birdmancometh says: Nov 17, 2009 2:37 PM

“It’s unclear whether Westbrook, 30, is looking into whether he should continue playing now, or ever.”
    Um, no it’s not.
    “According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Westbrook will be evaluated by a Pittsburgh specialist to determine whether he can continue to play football.”

4. LCCJ says: Nov 17, 2009 2:54 PM

Didn’t the eagles opt out or can they opt out of his 2010 contract? This was all before the concussions.

5. chapnasty says: Nov 17, 2009 3:04 PM

Brian,
    As a Cowboys fan and Eagle hater you have been the only class act on that team, organization or in the city. You have been the most talented and most humble athlete on that team and quite possibly in the league. That being said, your health is far more important than a sport. Retire now before you get one too many concusions and are forced to eat your 40th birthday cake through a straw. Thanks for your exciting, entertaining and successful career, the NFL is betterand the RB position because of it.

6. FumbleNuts says: Nov 17, 2009 3:31 PM

Good luck in the future Mr. Westbrook. I believe you would make a Great RB coach for an NFL team.
    God speed!

7. Cubano says: Nov 17, 2009 4:09 PM

Well said “FumbleNuts”, well said.

8. Final Word says: Nov 17, 2009 4:23 PM

Chapnasty, your comment about the only class act is a stretch and shows how little you know about football. Or how young you are!

9. gnop05 says: Nov 17, 2009 4:31 PM

Kudos to you Chapnasty.

10. Stradivarius says: Nov 17, 2009 4:37 PM

I have loved watching BWast play here in Philly, but I think the only option at this point is to walk away. Walk away (with no limp) healthy and walk away with a clear head. I hope you were responsible with your money as you can have a nice life as a financially independent coach…

11. zeke777 says: Nov 17, 2009 4:40 PM

@ Chapnasty:
    A Cowboys fan preaching about being humble and displaying class? Now that’s rich.

12. Eagles in '10,'11 or some other year says: Nov 17, 2009 4:43 PM

B-West,
    I love ya man; thanks for playing your heart out. It may be time to go, dude. Don’t gamble with your melon. Hopefully the Eagles will find a way to keep you around (a la Hugh Douglas).
    p.s. Favorite #36 play ever: Westbrook breaking through the Cowboys line and then galloping to the Cowboys two yard line only to take a knee and ensure the win.

13. drbob1117 says: Nov 17, 2009 4:49 PM

The key is whether the team sends them to “happy” doc; or “gloom and doom” doc… Now if I remember my Eric Lindros hockey concussion history correctly, “happy” doc ( the one that will say he can continue playing in a month or two) is in Pittsburgh and “gloom and doom” doc( the one that will say he should retire now) is in Montreal. That means that BWest will probably be back sometime in December or January. In fact , if you look at Florio’s list above (Aikman, etc) all of those people continued their NFL careers after suffering more than one concussion.

14. Rickah99 says: Nov 17, 2009 4:52 PM

@ Chapnasty,
    Duly noted! Now please make strides to move out of Mommy’s basement! Perhaps you and Vox can split the rent, he sure needs the help! Do me a favor and worry about your own team…it’s hanging by a thread. While you’re at it try to get a playoff win, it’s a very nice feeling!
    Sincerely
    B. Westbrook

15. DJSlyBri says: Nov 17, 2009 4:56 PM

I love Westbrook. I have been wearing his #36 jersey for years. My 3 and 5 year old daughters love him and think he is the greatest player ever, just ask them. With all of that being said, I hope he doesn’t play again this year and if necessary, never again. I will miss watching him play.
    In addition the above=mentioned play against Dallas, let’s not forget the punt return with a little more than a minute left to shock the Giants in 2003 and the 69-yd TD against the Vikings last years in the playoffs.

16. jpk6044 says: Nov 17, 2009 5:15 PM

Terrell “All about the team” Owens
    Rafael “Child Molester” Septien
    Dwayne “110mph Hit and Run” Goodrich
    Hollywood “I snorted coke during games” Henderson
    Harvey “Coke OD” Martin
    Bob “The only Coke Dealer in the Ring of Fame” Hayes
    Yes, just a never-ending list of the Cowboy class!!!

17. Wrathchild says: Nov 17, 2009 5:36 PM

Well, I hate to say it but Westbrook really can’t stay healthy for more than half a season anyway and adding the concussions on top of that kinda makes me feel he needs to at least go on IR for the season and see how things go. If he needs to retire, he’ll know by the time the draft comes around.
    The Eagles aren’t going to make the playoffs this year anyway, with or without him.

18. Bwa Ha Ha says: Nov 17, 2009 6:03 PM

ChapNasty, you are as classy as any Cowboy fan I have met, you are the mold for the class that so many of you have.
    Sadly, that means you are a low class hillbilly.
    My apologies to hillbillies everywhere

19. chapnasty says: Nov 17, 2009 6:16 PM

@ Final word
    I was referring to the Eagles and the Eagles organization and the city of Philadelphia no the entire NFL which was clearly stated. Shows how little you know about reading!
    @ Rickah
    If I ever meet Vox I am going to slap him for his stupidity on this site. I think he is the only person who leaves this site and cant sleep beacuse people pick on him. For now I am staying in my mom’s basement because she knows just how I like my bed made! When the Eagles dont let you down in an NFC Championship game… come back and talk to me.
    @ Jpk
    Obviously there are a ton of phenominal players on the Cowboys full of class! Kind of like Flozel “trip anyone because I’m too fat and slow to make the proper block” Adams. Come on bro, I was giving Westbrook credit and still there has to be Eagles fans throwing batteries at me!

20. chapnasty says: Nov 17, 2009 6:34 PM

@ Bwa Ha Ha
    Not really seeing where I am not being classy. But oh well you must be from Philly, I hear being slightly mentally challenged is a requirement for citizenship. My apologies to mentally challened individuals everywhere.

21. mattitude says: Nov 17, 2009 7:12 PM

It’s such a shame that Westbrook’s best statistical season came in 2007 when the Eagles didn’t even make the playoffs. Oh well, here’s to the greatest Eagle running back of the modern era.

22. dagodfather says: Nov 17, 2009 7:32 PM

@Chapnasty
    You don’t see where you are not being classy? “As a Cowboys fan and Eagle hater you have been the only class act on that team, organization or IN THE CITY”
    I agree with you that the Eagles organization is pretty classless but as someone who lives in Philly, exactly how am I supposed to take “….you have been the only class act…IN THE CITY.” Are you kidding?
    ———————————————————————-
    Can someone explain to me why he was even playing on Sunday? When David Wright had his concussion, they immediately put him on the 15 Day DL and was out a month. Why doesn’t the NFL treat this for what it really is, A BRUISED BRAIN?!?!?!?! From everything that I have read, if you let the first concussion heal long enough, you’ll be fine.

23. chapnasty says: Nov 17, 2009 8:47 PM

@ dagodfather…
    sorry, I am ignorant to Philly, never been there. My only impressions are those of fans pelting Santa with snowballs. Sorry bro.

24. penguininbondage says: Nov 17, 2009 9:37 PM

Appreciate your honesty. That was in 68 when most on this board weren’t born yet.
    And if you had seen that pathetic Santa on the last day of a 2-12 season knowing your team blew next years draft pick (OJ Simpson) you would have chucked a few slushies yourself.