Raheem Morris fined $20,000 for yelling at officials

Tampa Bay Buccaneers head coach Raheem Morris has been fined $20,000 for yelling at the officials after a controversial call during Sunday’s loss to the Miami Dolphins.

After Dolphins defensive end Jason Taylor was awarded an interception on a play that Morris thought should have been a catch by Buccaneers wide receiver Michael Clayton, Morris went off on the officials with what Roy Cummings of The Tampa Tribune referred to as an “expletive-filled tirade.”

Today Morris said he was fined $20,000 by the league for that tirade.

“You know I got fined,” Morris said. “I got fined and I’m more than happy to give my money to a charity of their choosing. That’s just who I am. I’m fortunate enough to be in a society where I can be fined that much money and give it to a charity and move on and not hold a grudge. I learned my lesson. It was my fault. I made a mistake.”

Morris was flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, helping to set up a Dolphins touchdown two plays later.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Top Stories
29 Responses to “Raheem Morris fined $20,000 for yelling at officials”
  1. WaccoForFlacco says: Nov 18, 2009 4:33 PM

Someone explain to me how that is fair …

2. Hap says: Nov 18, 2009 4:36 PM

He yelled, “You over-officious jerk !”
    By Marv Levy

3. Slow Joe says: Nov 18, 2009 4:36 PM

I live in that same society, but if I got fined $20K right now for speaking out, I’d be holding a grudge.

4. doublefishhook says: Nov 18, 2009 4:38 PM

I believe his exact comment was “Don’t call me Radio unit 91″…

5. irishpat says: Nov 18, 2009 4:39 PM

nothing about the worst call a referee has ever made? even after the play was reviewed?
    WTF?

6. longrodvanhungendong says: Nov 18, 2009 4:40 PM

Holy crap! Must have gone way beyond a few F-bombs. I kinda assumed the coaches cursed at the refs all the time.

7. ShruggingGalt says: Nov 18, 2009 4:40 PM

The NFL should enact a technical foul for these. In addition to a 15 yd penalty, they should stop the clock, put the ball on the 25 yd line, and let the other team’s kicker a chance to kick a “free” field goal. After the kick, the ball goes back to the penalty spot and play resumes.
    Make this whenever someone who is not on the field of play gets called with a foul….

8. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Nov 18, 2009 4:41 PM

All the Morris brothers are disappointed in you little Raheem.
    Signed
    Mercury, Sammy, Maurice, Bam, JimBob, Kirk…

9. chucktownYP says: Nov 18, 2009 4:59 PM

“I’m fortunate enough to be in a society where I can be fined that much money and give it to a charity and move on and not hold a grudge. I learned my lesson. It was my fault. I made a mistake.”
    Thankful he lives in a society where he can be fined that much money? You mean “thankful I get paid ENOUGH that this fine means nothing to you? Maybe he means it was his fault and his mistake to take the coaching job of the Bucs?

10. chapnasty says: Nov 18, 2009 5:04 PM

@ wacco
    the same reason that it is fair that Tom Cable is still coaching

11. Brewster says: Nov 18, 2009 5:09 PM

Enough already.
    Florio, it’s time to stop the police blotter (days without an arrest) crap and start a new tracking system.
    How about begining a weekly accumulated fine total broken down by players vs coaches, owners, etc being levied out by the NFL.
    Hell this week alone it’s got to be near a half a mil. That’s not chump change.
    Goodell’s got his own United Way going over there at 280 Park.
    Is Chad Ochocinco on an automatic payroll deduction plan?

12. TheBengal13 says: Nov 18, 2009 5:10 PM

WaccoforFlacco wrote:
    “So Raheem Morris is fined $20,000 for yelling at an official, but Brady Quinn is fined $10,000 for diving helmet first into Suggs knee and potentially ending his season or even is career?
    Someone explain to me how that is fair …”
    Simple. Take off your Ravens helmet for a second and look at things objectively.

13. er pete says: Nov 18, 2009 5:16 PM

I think the quote had something to do with a jerk store.

14. WashingtonRedstorms says: Nov 18, 2009 5:17 PM

Radio Raheem…….Dont mess.

15. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 18, 2009 5:25 PM

“WaccoForFlacco says:
    November 18, 2009 4:33 PM
    Someone explain to me how that is fair …”
    coaches are held to a higher standard, and thus have higher fines.
    “irishpat says:
    November 18, 2009 4:39 PM
    WTF?”
    there were two posts about it on gameday, with the second post explaining the actual rule, and that the call was right. i realize many don’t agree with the rule, but it is a rule, however bad it is. the bottom line: the receiver must maintain possession of the catch all the way until after they hit the ground – not just in the endzone, but on any play. *technically*, the call was correct.

16. Nation 86 says: Nov 18, 2009 5:43 PM

Raheem is a prime and fine football coach. He would be loved in the UFL.

17. rasalas says: Nov 18, 2009 5:44 PM

@irishpat: The referee actually talked to reporters to explain why the right call was made based on the replay and the rules that governed the situation. You obviously didn’t get the memo.

18. Raiders4TL says: Nov 18, 2009 5:45 PM

these refs should all be fired this is worse than last year I swear these old guys can’t see anything, every game has some wtf type call this year…..next year get robots, they can’t bet on games and with all the money the league makes in fining players/coaches for there refs f – ups it should be no problem to afford it

19. Omega says: Nov 18, 2009 5:48 PM

WacoforFlacco, Yeah Suggs. the Choir Boy who brags about bounties on other players.
    Watch the play. Suggs had a bead on Quinn and Quinn, ala Ward, and Quinn took him out first. BTW, the Quinn hit did make an impact on the tackle and the hit was above the knee.
    BFD

20. CanadianVikingFan says: Nov 18, 2009 6:10 PM

So why fine them so much? There are players out there *Cough* Tommy Harris *Cough* who throw punches at other players face down in the field. This is just rediculous. I hope he at least made the ref. cry…

21. Barule says: Nov 18, 2009 6:41 PM

Irish Pat Forget the rule. Watch the video. The player has the ball, both feet hit the ground, his back hits the ground, he rolls over to get up, then the defenders knee hits the ball and pops it out. IT WAS A HORRIBLE CALL. The Bucs got their apology letter.

22. Barule says: Nov 18, 2009 6:41 PM

Quinn hit SUggs in the stomach.

23. DocBG says: Nov 18, 2009 7:07 PM

he should be lucky he just dropped a ton of F-bombs, had he flipped them off it would have been double his yearly pay….

24. jaxdolfan says: Nov 18, 2009 7:27 PM

The refs were the ones who should have been fined.
    Horrible call that got worse after the review.

25. VoxVagina says: Nov 18, 2009 7:52 PM

@ shrugginggalt
    What an awful idea. A free 3 points in the NFL is not even remotely close to the NBA’s technical foul. 3 points in a football game is a pretty big hole to dig out of.

26. J says: Nov 18, 2009 8:05 PM

Rasalas said:
    Yes, he talked and said something that doesn’t make sense after you watch the actual video, he said Clayton lost possession right after he touched the floor and when you see the video you can see that’s isn’t true.
    Check this: right after minute 1:47
    At least he should have said there wasn’t enough evidence to chance the call but he didn’t that’s why he screwed it.

27. sebuc40 says: Nov 18, 2009 10:21 PM

Poor refs getting yelled at! Pull up your big boy panties! By rule, the correct call should have been incomplete. No camera angle showed the ball throughout the entire play. If there was no visual proof that the ball did or did not touch the ground, it should stand as originally called INCOMPLETE! After that call, the ref should have been treated to a ‘Longest Yard’ treatment.

28. notsosmart says: Nov 19, 2009 2:28 AM

No wonder Gruden accepted ESPN’s job. In today’s world, he would owe a bundle to charity!

29. FumbleNuts says: Nov 19, 2009 9:13 PM

My sources tell me the refs thought a “Radio” was turned up too loud on the sidelines.
    The refs looked over and realized it was just Raheem Morris and they got really pissed off.