Revis rants over Moss double team talk

After Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis shut down Patriots receiver Randy Moss during the Week Two meeting between the two teams, Moss chalked his quiet day to double teams from the defense.

As Revis prepares to draw Moss again, the third-year defender from Pitt is taking issue with Randy’s prior comments.

“I was in man-to-man coverage,” Revis said Wednesday, during a conference call with New England reporters.

“[E]veryone saw the game, everybody knows I was in man coverage, that was the case,” Revis said.  “He’s supposed to say that because [that day] wasn’t his day, he got shut out and was frustrated about it, which is cool.  I don’t have anything against him.  I still think he’s one of the best receivers in the league.  When we go up against each other, it’s great competition.”

Revis tried to state his case without getting Randy riled up.

“I’m not going to disrespect nobody about anything,” Revis said.  “If Randy beat me on a touchdown, yeah, I’ll live up to it.  Yeah, he beat me.  He’s a great receiver.  I believe I’m a great corner, too.  That’s just how it goes.  When you play against the best, you have to bring your game.  You also have to give respect to the guys that you’re going against.

“I mean, they get paid as well as I do. So there’s no trying to get into a jarring match or a trash-talking match with Randy Moss.  I say what I believe and that’s it.  You live up to it or you don’t.  One thing I know is I’m giving him respect, he’s one of their best and it’s great competition between me and him.  I love it, and I’m sure he loves it, too.”

Later in the call, a reporter asked Revis whether he played Moss in man coverage, with help “over the top” from a safety.  The line of questioning produced an awkward moment, to say the least.

Here’s the excerpt of the transcript.

Revis:  Do you know football?

Q:  Well, that’s why I’m asking.  You know, if you could clear it up for me.

Revis:  Yeah, I’m asking you.  I’m asking you a question.  Do you know football?

Q:  Maybe parts of it, but not that part of it.

Revis:  What part do you know?

Q:  I said, like parts of it.

Revis:  OK, so do you know defensive coverages?

Q:  Not very well.

Revis:  Cover two, over three, cover one.

Q:  Not very well, quite honestly.

Revis:  Well, OK.

A reporter than explained that the specific issue arose because Pats coach Bill Belichick has been saying that Revis had “help over the top.”

Said Revis in response, “I don’t believe that statement, so that question is dead from now on. I’m not going to just keep on answering the question.”

But here’s a key fact regarding the use of the safeties in that game.  Receiver Wes Welker didn’t play in the game.  So providing some “over the top” help to Moss wouldn’t have resulted in a guy of Welker’s abilities running free.

Regardless of whether Revis got help the last time around, Moss has been playing lately at a much higher level — and we wouldn’t recommend anyone trying to contain him in single coverage.

Permalink 55 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New England Patriots, New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
55 Responses to “Revis rants over Moss double team talk”
  1. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 18, 2009 11:28 PM

Revis has been mediocre since that game, Jets have been below mediocre. Going to have to see what he says on Monday.

2. Nathan says: Nov 18, 2009 11:34 PM

well reporter dude may not know jack shit about football but i do and yes the cb can play man with safety help over the top and yes, it might make a cb feel a little more comfortable jumping routes knowing if he’s wrong it’s not going to be a surefire TD
    seriously what was this reporter thinking just saying no
    also, if you don’t understand what cover 2 is you shouldn’t be asking a god damn DB about coverages
    go pick a copy of madden you hack

3. reginaldlewis says: Nov 18, 2009 11:34 PM

This little punk Revis swears he is all-world; He did a great job on Moss but he was not man to man the whole game; no corner in the nfl can go man to man with Moss all game he’s too fast; Revis is a 4.45 guy; I know Moss hears this commotion don’t be surprised if he hangs 3 TD’s on this little punk. He had the 6’3 Kerry Rhodes over the top.

4. Bee_Arthur says: Nov 18, 2009 11:36 PM

Revis is a punk compared to Moss. Moss is HOF bound…Revis will probably end up with a few Pro Bowls.

5. tylerconway22 says: Nov 18, 2009 11:37 PM

Then, not “than” in the first paragraph after the transcript.
    Drama Nazi to the rescue.

6. this class sucks says: Nov 18, 2009 11:37 PM

As usual Florio your title is filled with hyperbole. Help over top is really decided by coverage and if he was in man to man then their would certainly be help over the top unless someone was coming out of the back field.

7. Phokus says: Nov 18, 2009 11:40 PM

Lol revis sounds like a douchebag in that interview, obviously he gets safety help some of the time

8. Slow Joe says: Nov 18, 2009 11:52 PM

Wow. A real he said/she said.

9. Kiss Bills Rings says: Nov 19, 2009 12:00 AM

Brady & Moss are BOTH playing at a much higher level then through the first 4 weeks….I pray that Revis is matched up one on one with no safety help over the top….not gonna happen but I’d enjoy seeing that & I bet Moss would too…
    BAD WEEK to be the team that has to face the Patriots at home….DOUBLE that since it’s the Jets……Pats might not lose another game all year……

10. Zinn says: Nov 19, 2009 12:03 AM

I have to love Revis turning the table on the reporter. And just like most would expect the reporter knows absolutely nothing about football. Quite sad but then again we live in a society where emotion, stereotypes and sound bytes rule the day while education, knowledge and intelligence is frowned upon.

11. nagurskiTform says: Nov 19, 2009 12:04 AM

Cool story, bro.

12. CutlerISaPussy says: Nov 19, 2009 12:11 AM

Here is Florio…again sucking the balls of the Patriots. Last week he was calling them the best team in the league before they got out coached and out played by the Colts.
    Florio is a giant douchebag.

13. csloan99 says: Nov 19, 2009 12:25 AM

I’ve never seen anyone use so many words without really saying anything. Not even politicians are this bad.

14. lusdawg says: Nov 19, 2009 12:28 AM

Isn’t this the same article after the last Jets-Pats game was played ?!?!

15. sven_ftw says: Nov 19, 2009 12:28 AM

i sure do hope randy comes in with a chip on his shoulder…

16. mad555 says: Nov 19, 2009 12:53 AM

can you say owned? serves them stupid homer reporters right. Truthfully it shouldn’t matter if he had help over the top. How bout the whole field before the safety help. Ya know, there is usually 15 to 20 yards between the LOS and the Safety. So basically, Revis Shut him down and Moss wasn’t man enough to give him any respect.So now, those ball licking reporters was trying to give moss an out so he didn’t have to show a top CB any props for his play.

17. Richm2256 says: Nov 19, 2009 1:17 AM

Don’t try to confuse hm with the truth, now.
    Seriously Revis, are you going to try and slide out of this because the reporter didn’t know the terminology? Bellichick did, which is why the reporter asked it.
    So, answer the man.

18. MgoBlue0712 says: Nov 19, 2009 2:01 AM

Moss didn’t have a good game last time, the pats in general didn’t have a good game….that was then this is now and the pats are playing alot better on offense. i don’t think Moss will get shutout this time

19. Rev. Dr. HollywoodWags says: Nov 19, 2009 3:24 AM

The WVU hillbilly has to go after the Pitt star.
    Let’s put that question to you.
    I’m asking you a question. Do you know football?

20. tatum32 says: Nov 19, 2009 5:28 AM

Revis…Harris…all the rest of you..please light this team up like a christmas tree…send 1,399 blitz looks and packages for Tom Brady….dont let them get revenge….because they may try to drop 50 on you.
    Not only single press Moss, but have Harris light him up coming … as for Welker….one big hit over the middle and he’ll be shortening up all those routes..

21. Hosstyle In Tampa says: Nov 19, 2009 5:50 AM

Revis is all of a sudden a shut down corner……when it comes to Randy “straight cash homie” Moss…single, double, triple…it’s all frosting from here til the bowl babhy!!!!!!

22. OscarMooseFarmer says: Nov 19, 2009 6:22 AM

Well ofcourse you can. If you leave both safeties back and rush four guys, how many defenders are left? Five. Five defenders manning up on the five eligeble recievers.
    Call it Cover-2-man, Man under, 2 deep shell or whatever.
    Or if you play Cover-1, as Revis calls it, against the Patriots without Welker the one guy back simply rotates towards Moss all the time.
    The guy had help, Rex Ryan is a decent coach..

23. realityonetwo says: Nov 19, 2009 6:37 AM

Yawn…

24. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Nov 19, 2009 6:43 AM

Revis: I was told there would be no questions during this interview.

25. Otis Taylor 89 says: Nov 19, 2009 6:51 AM

I don’t think there is a corner in the league that can go all out man to man with Moss, especially when he is healthy – which he wasn’t the first game.

26. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Nov 19, 2009 7:05 AM

Technically, Revis is right.
    You can play man with help over the top and it’s not a “double team”.
    It means you can be allot more aggressive though, knowing help is there.

27. Rev. Dr. HollywoodWags says: Nov 19, 2009 7:12 AM

Revis called the gossipy bitch sportswriter out.
    Good.
    He’ll be ok. Tony Korny made it to Monday Night Goofball without knowing a single thing about football or sports. Florio knows nothing about football but made a nice little living out of it, beats being a lawyer, King, Easterbrook…all are gossip writers in the mold of Perez Hilton.
    They don’t even watch the goddamn GAMES, and admit it.

28. The Jimmy says: Nov 19, 2009 7:26 AM

Being that Revis and I come from the same area I’ve always been a fan of his, but there’s no excuse for that. Why’s he so defensive? He already said that he’s one of the best corners in the league. Just answer the question. You don’t have to belittle the guy. The reporter should of asked him about his mother being fired from her guard job if Revis wants to start making people look bad. Then he’d have a reason to get defensive.

29. Florio-is-a-tool says: Nov 19, 2009 7:32 AM

Something about this Jets team – even when they win they’re losers.

30. ugotflaccoed says: Nov 19, 2009 7:37 AM

Nothing would make me feel better than to see Brady and the boys hang 50 on the Jets. Where is all the bravado now Rex? The man has been reduced to shedding tears and asking an in division rival for advice (see Parcells) Zing!!!!!

31. videinfra49 says: Nov 19, 2009 7:42 AM

Of course Revis is right. It’s a stupid question from the reporter. He played man-to-man on Moss, but to never have help over the top, they would have to play Cover-0 every snap. Wtf would ever do that? No one does.

32. me so horny says: Nov 19, 2009 7:53 AM

Revis could have answered the question. He just turned the tables around like a woman. Did the reporter know anything, apparently not. But how many reporters really do. It’s their job to ask questions. And Nathan, playing Madden like a loser degenerate doesn’t make you some sort of expert at the game of football. He’s a reporter, he has a professional job and has shit to do. Hes not gonna sit around playing some god damn Madden. And it might be a good idea for revis to shut his face. Sure it woulda been nice for Moss to give the dude more credit, but Moss has been around forever and is still the best receiver in the game. When both his antennas are up, hes the most dominant by far. Who the hell is Revis in comparison to Moss. 8 catches 155yds and a couple td’s are in store

33. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Nov 19, 2009 7:58 AM

Even when a Jet tries to sound respectful, it comes across as douchebaggey.

34. Albert040907 says: Nov 19, 2009 8:01 AM

Funny reading all these anti-revis comments. If he was on anyones team besides the Jets I bet the talk would be different. And he did answer the question earlier in the interview but Florio only puts the part after. I don’t recall moss getting double teamed when revis wrestled the ball from him for an int. Give the man credit, he also shut down Andre Johnson the week before. All because he’s a jet, people hate him. I love how Revis has class to admit if he gets beat he will say so. Moss will only admit someone will be good when he scores 2 Tds against them. ask Vontae Davis

35. TFBuckFutter says: Nov 19, 2009 8:25 AM

“Q: Is it possible to have safety help over the top, while you’re playing man coverage, so it sort of allows you to be more aggressive when you have the safety help rolled over the top?
    Revis: Do you know football?
    Q: Well, that’s why I’m asking. You know, if you could clear it up for me.
    Revis: Yeah, I’m asking you. I’m asking you a question. Do you know football?
    Q: Maybe parts of it, but not that part of it.
    Revis: What part do you know?
    Q: I said, like parts of it.
    Revis: OK, so do you know defensive coverages?
    Q: Not very well.
    Revis: Cover two, over three, cover one.
    Q: Not very well, quite honestly.
    Revis: Well, OK.”
    I love when stupid people, trying to sound like they know what they are talking about, go to so much effort to avoid saying “I don’t know” or “I don’t understand your question.”

36. PFTiswhatitis says: Nov 19, 2009 8:59 AM

Revis is just another disrespectful punk getting paid a lot of money. He should have been put in his place.
    Unfortunatley, these situations are a no win for the reporters. If they fire back and tell the kid straight up to be more respectful and just answer the question, they are accused of instigating, get thrown out and probably not allowed back. If they back-off, show professionalism and respect, they get shit thrown in their face ala Revis.
    The best thing he could have done was to stay home. See how much Revis likes it when noone cares if he has something to say.

37. jetermkt55 says: Nov 19, 2009 9:15 AM

Revis shut down Moss. Moss wouldn’t even admit it, and Revis is the bad guy? He already answered the question, he didn’t want to answer it again. It was probably not the best way of handling it, but he has a right to be frustrated with people diminishing what was a terrific performance. Was there safety help over the top on some plays? Yes, but single safeties over the top is far from double coverage. That safety isn’t even looking at Moss unless he’s going deep.
    What about Revis’ pick? That was a deep ball to Moss, without safety help over the top, and Revis got better position. There is much more to being a receiver and a corner than just speed. If Moss can’t get off the line, which is what Revis is known for, then who the hell cares?
    And what is this nonsense that Revis’ play has dropped off. NOT one BIT. Keep your mouth shut if you don’t know anything.

38. shawnc16 says: Nov 19, 2009 9:21 AM

I’m not a fan of Revis or the Jets or the Patriots but I don’t get why a few peopleare calling him a punk. Is it based on other interviews? In this interview I didn’t see anything that would make this guy seem like a punk. He was not disrespectful. So what if he had help over the top, big deal, he was still in man coverage. There is still a very big difference between cover 2 and double coverage.

39. DarkHorse81 says: Nov 19, 2009 9:23 AM

SmackMyVickUp says:
    November 18, 2009 11:28 PM
    ————————————————–
    Are you serious SMACK I’ve watch a bunch of the JETS game and hadn’t it not been for Revis the jets would give up way more points than they do honestly I would love to have a DB like Revis on my team, and I’m a Pats fan.
    ————————————————–
    @The Jimmy, I agree with you 100% at least the reporter admit he doesn’t know the finer details of the coverages, Revis should of answer the man instead of stalling.

40. BooUrns says: Nov 19, 2009 9:36 AM

Who the hell is this reporter? If it isn’t John Tomase I’d say he’s definitely been hanging out with him.

41. jkorn1818 says: Nov 19, 2009 9:38 AM

Nathan says:
    November 18, 2009 11:34 PM
    seriously what was this reporter thinking just saying no
    go pick a copy of madden you hack
    ___________________________________
    It’s called sarcasm, the reporter was being sarcastic. He wanted revis to explain and explain and then get himself into trouble with his mouth. I heard the interview, the reporter was being a wiseass.

42. Gautam says: Nov 19, 2009 9:55 AM

The Pats are going to run up the score on the Jets … just to remind them who does the talking in the AFC East lol

43. sdffa11 says: Nov 19, 2009 9:57 AM

i dont know whos worse. the scumbag reporter who keeps agitating him with the same question that he doesnt want to answer or the douchebag DB that can’t admit that he did have safety help.
    i think revis woke a sleeping giant. i would be surprised if revis shut down moss again with safety help. i wouldnt be surprised if moss scores 4 tds in the 1st half to prove a point.

44. dcfan-1212450 says: Nov 19, 2009 10:00 AM

This is the Jets team that lost to the Bills, at home since they beat the Pats. This is a Jets team that lost to Jacksonville, at home, since beating the Pats. Revis is a DB who got beat by Sims Walker for a TD this weekend. Revis is a DB who now will have Moss 1 on 1 with little help because Welker is back healthy and active. This is going to be a different game. Quite honostly, i expect the Pats to put a woopin on the Jets, running up the score to show week 2 was a fluke.

45. CornFlorio says: Nov 19, 2009 10:25 AM

You lame ass Pats fans need to get over yourselves. Your team hasn’t beaten ANYONE of consequence this season. AND has lost to both the pathetic Jets AND the overrated Broncos. Try shutting your yaps until they do.
    And for those who are saying that Revis is a punk for simply defending his own play, try taking off the homer Patriot blinders and just admit that Moss got beat by Revis in the first game, fair and square.

46. clubfoot says: Nov 19, 2009 10:40 AM

A reporter “than” explained Florio, you’re an idiot. Or as you would type it “your a idiot”. Did you miss 5th grade?

47. Nathan says: Nov 19, 2009 10:53 AM

me so horny,
    You’re right – he’s a professional reporter… if he’s going to ask a question he should know what the hell he’s asking. I’m a Pats fan, so we’re on the same side here regarding Moss, and I’m not defending Revis or saying the reporter should sit around and play Madden, just saying any 12 year old with a copy of the game would be able to answer “yes” to Revis’ question. Christ, even wikipedia will tell you what Cover 3, Cover 2 and Cover 1 are. Some people are insinuating he was baiting Revis playing dumb, and maybe that’s true I didn’t see the interview, but if he’s not c’mon… I’d never stand up and ask a question I didn’t understand. It’s unprofessional.

48. hayward giablommi says: Nov 19, 2009 11:02 AM

J erks
    E very
    S ingle
    T ime…
    E xcrement,
    R evis
    S pews

49. jetermkt55 says: Nov 19, 2009 11:27 AM

Revis wasn’t covering Sims Walker when he scored, and the the team losing doesn’t making Revis a bad corner.

50. simple_simon1 says: Nov 19, 2009 12:46 PM

Well Revis. This weekend you get your chance to cover Moss again. Stop whining. I don’t hear anybody but you making a really big deal about it.
    And when Moss lights you up for a couple scores and over 100 yards this week, despite help over the top, you can walk across that field and shake Moss’ hand for humbling you. Sound OK?

51. footballnut says: Nov 19, 2009 12:50 PM

CornFlorio…the only time you beat anyone of consequence is in the playoffs…
    The 16 game season is a round robin of sorts for the tournament.
    You know that, and I know you know that.
    So sit back and chill out man…
    You should be happy that the Pats snatched defeat from the jaws of victory against both the Broncs and Colts…

52. hayward giablommi says: Nov 19, 2009 12:58 PM

@ footballnut
    FYI, responding to (or even acknowledging the existance of) CornFlorio f/k/a FlorioBorio is a pointless exercise…commonly referred to in internet parlance as “feeding the troll”.
    Just ignore him, like everyone else does, and help save some bandwidth for future generations. You’ll soon see why, what with the excrement filled ramblings of an inbred mongoloid that will inevitably follow.
    Cheers.

53. FootballFanatik says: Nov 19, 2009 1:30 PM

So, did anyone really READ the article?? Let’s just glaze over the parts where Revis shows praise towards Moss, and hone in on how this interview showed him as a “d-bag”??
    A division game is coming up, one where the Jets prevailed in week 2. B.F.D. I know you all have the mob mentality to Jets bash, but really: didn’t someone else in the NFL roll their eyes, eat a hot dog, or pick their nose or something over the past week?? Stop stirring up crap that doesn’t exist. Florio wrote a good article, and the same idiots from the beginning of the season (hayward, me so horny, etc) are posting the same comments this week!! Isn’t there an AOL chatroom y0u can join or something?? Turn your feeble minds elsewhere, and take your stupid Jets/Jests acronyms with you.
    Albert040907: great comment, and very true!! If Revis was a Raven, a Cardinal, a Steeler, etc, this article wouldn’t even be here, and the Little Boys in Pull-Ups club wouldn’t be posting below it.
    Best of luck to BOTH teams on Sunday! I always enjoy the match ups between these two teams!

54. sven_ftw says: Nov 19, 2009 1:39 PM

it humors me to see all of these idiots who really think the reporter had no clue as to what he was talking about.

55. TFBuckFutter says: Nov 19, 2009 2:05 PM

“sven_ftw says:
    November 19, 2009 1:39 PM
    it’s a common courtesy for members of the press who haven’t suited up or coached to never try to get in a pissing match with another player of coach who actually participates in the nfl. the good ones paint the idiots into a corner and let them hang themselves. revis did a fine job of that when he obviously couldn’t offer a proper reply and lost composure.”
    That was what I was referring to in my statement (not saying you were addressing me, just realized afterwards it could have been taken as me referring to either party)…..
    But yeah, that was a classically ignorant exchange on Revis’ part….”What does ‘(insert anything here)’ mean?”Do YOU know what it means?” “No, not really.” “Well alright then.”