Ronnie Brown could be out for the year

The Dolphins publicly have acknowledged that running back Ronnie Brown will miss Thursday night’s game against the Panthers due to a foot injury suffered on Sunday against the Buccaneers.

The Dolphins have not publicly acknowledged that the team fears Brown will miss the remainder of the season.

Per a league source, the current thinking is that Brown will not be able to play again this year.  Of course, this could change based upon the advice of the specialist that Brown eventually sees and the success of rehab efforts.

The challenge for the Dolphins will be to decide whether to carry Brown on the roster in the hopes he can return, or to send him to injured reserve and create a roster spot.

Some Fins fans might be wondering why the Dolphins didn’t make a run at running back Larry Johnson, due to Brown’s injury.  The fact that Miami V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells is the father-in-law of Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli answers that question fairly conclusively.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
24 Responses to “Ronnie Brown could be out for the year”
  1. cberkhous says: Nov 18, 2009 6:04 AM

I really hope Ronnie isn’t out for the year. I’m confident that Ricky can get the job done out of the traditional sets but Ronnie and Ricky in the wildcat were magic. Maybe Pat White gets the call now as the triggerman. It would be a shame if Ronnie was out for the year, he has so much potential but can shake the injury bug.

2. Joe in Toronto, Canada says: Nov 18, 2009 6:31 AM

====================================
    Or maybe it’s the fact that the guy is a cancer AND sucks ass.
    All the best to Ronnie Brown, a good player AND a good attitude.

3. longrodvanhungendong says: Nov 18, 2009 6:56 AM

Or maybe the Dolphins are one of the few teams in the NFL that won’t sign a POS just to win some games.

4. tunasdolphins says: Nov 18, 2009 7:12 AM

no way florio i’ll bet you ronnie is ready to return dec.6th vs the patriots for a huge sunday night football game expect miami to be 6-5 after wins over carolina and buffalo.

5. KC Hymen Bruiser says: Nov 18, 2009 7:36 AM

Longro – that would imply that LJ is still good enough to help you win games. He isn’t! Cincy will play KC later in the season and everyone will see, he is washed up

6. mooremi9 says: Nov 18, 2009 7:37 AM

Why would they sign LJ? Are the fins making a push for the playoffs?
    Florio you are like a lady in a hair salon. Always starting rumors.
    There is a reason Peter king has his own column and you have a blog.

7. AlanSaysYo says: Nov 18, 2009 9:03 AM

This is a blessing in disguise for Fins fans. Brown’s absence will reduce the number of Wildcat snaps, which should allow Chad Henne to get some more plays under his belt. He’s been yanked off the field so often this year, and even though he seems to be managing very well, it won’t hurt his development for him to take the game on his shoulders a bit more.

8. speedy1383 says: Nov 18, 2009 9:13 AM

As a Phins fan and Auburn alum, it saddens me if Brown is out for the year. He was a great college player. It looked like he was going to have a great year this season. Hopefully he can come back in a few weeks. War Eagle.

9. dcfan-1212450 says: Nov 18, 2009 9:19 AM

I guess trading the often injured Joseph Addai and Viscante Schiancoe for i have never been injured in my career Ronnie Brown in my fantasy league really panned out for me huh…

10. B_radC says: Nov 18, 2009 9:24 AM

Peter King has his own column because he starts rumors and people listen and actually believe it. Florio starts rumors and we know that its just talk. Tell me which one is worse?

11. Football says: Nov 18, 2009 9:32 AM

12. obscenery says: Nov 18, 2009 9:39 AM

Huge Dolphins fan. Huge Ronnie Brown fan.
    I’ll be hoping (and hoping some more) that this doesn’t end his season. But my fears are that it’s a lisfranc fracture. The way he’s holding his foot in the picture of him just after the injury… the description of what caused the injury… the crutches and his inability to put weight on the foot…
    Damn it. All the clues are there. I REALLY REALLY hope my fears are unjustified.
    Though I have always loved Ricky Williams, even through the retirement and failed drug test.
    I wonder if Rex Ryan tears have healing properties? We should go collect some to find out.

13. Xpensive Wino says: Nov 18, 2009 9:57 AM

Not that they’re going to sign him either, but Warrick Dunn would be a better fit than Larry Johnson for the Dolphins style of running game. Johnson is two yards and a cloud of dumb. The Dolphins had a good little player in Patrick Cobbs before his injury and perhaps they have another one in Lex Hilliard. And I agree that it would be nice to leave Henne under center more often. It will be good practice for when he has NFL caliber receivers to throw to……..

14. jaxdolfan says: Nov 18, 2009 10:19 AM

Fins will now get to see what they have in Henne, Pat White, and Lex Hilliard. We might even see more carries from Lou Polite.
    It is too bad that Patrick Cobbs is hurt, because that guy has the be the best #3 RB in the league. Better than LeRon McClain.
    Ronnie has been injured 2 times in 4 years. I hardly call that injury prone…especially considering the number of snaps (literally) he takes.
    I am hoping too that this gives Henne the chance to do more than come in on 3rd and 15 and try to convert.
    Oh, and Peter King is a douchebag. Florio Jr could kick his ass.

15. Cmoney20 says: Nov 18, 2009 10:45 AM

Im reading the same things about LJ, that I read about Cedric Benson for years. True LJ is a little older but he averaged 4.5 yds a carry last year. The Chiefs O-line is the worst I think I’ve ever seen, so Im pretty sure he started dogging it and not working as hard. Ill say the same thing I said about Benson all those years everyone was trashing him “Pressue Busts Pipes”

16. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Nov 18, 2009 10:47 AM

Mike Florio said:
    “Some Fins fans might be wondering why the Dolphins didn’t make a run at running back Larry Johnson, due to Brown’s injury. The fact that Miami V.P. of football operations Bill Parcells is the father-in-law of Chiefs G.M. Scott Pioli answers that question fairly conclusively.”
    The fact that Bill brought current KC head coach Todd Haley in off the street to coach with him in Dallas for 3 years, just before Haley was promoted to the OC position in Arizona, probably answers the question even more conclusively…especially since Haley was the one who was on the field coaching Johnson.
    Lex Hilliard…it’s your time to show them what you’ve got, kid.

17. ftomeo says: Nov 18, 2009 11:21 AM

A “league source”? Really? Not a “team source”? Does anyone really believe that the Dolphins staff and their medical personnel and advisors have leaked to others in the league who then leaked information to Florio? Really?
    Or is it safe to say that just about anyone who knows that “foot” injuries can be problematic, tricky, and lingering is speculating based solely on the knowledge that it is a foot injury.

18. Burnum says: Nov 18, 2009 11:22 AM

As a Dolphins fan, this would be a major blow and would end any last hopes of reaching the playoffs (currently 1 game behind NE).
    But Coach Sparano is someone who always tries to see the positives – so it’s up for Pat White and Lex Hilliard to show that they are worthy of a roster spot next season (White could take over Ronnie’s Wildcat role, Hilliard will probably work as a backup to Ricky Williams and get some carries). Also, it puts more pressure on our passing game and hopefully speeds up the development of Chad Henne.
    And no, I don’t want LJ on the Dolphins team. A rebuilding team (and the Dolphins are still in the 2nd season of rebuilding) doesn’t need washed up past-their-prime players.
    Also, get rid of Porter (unless he starts to produce) and give more playing time to Charlie Anderson and Cam Wake!

19. Bill Cowher's Chin says: Nov 18, 2009 11:38 AM

# dcfan-1212450 says: November 18, 2009 9:19 AM
    ______________________________
    Not to rain on your parade, but someone sold you some bum scoop my friend, Ronnie Brown missed almost the entire season 2 years ago (2007 if I am not mistaken) because of a torn ACL……

20. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 18, 2009 11:44 AM

yeah i would definitely not want LJ.
    “Football says:
    November 18, 2009 9:32 AM
    Dolphins fans claiming that they didnt make a run at Larry Johnson because they don’t want POS players on their roster is hillarious. EVERY team in the NFL has POS players. Ever dig into the past of Channing Crowder?”
    uh, what exactly has channing crowder done that makes him a “POS player”? Crowder has opened his mouth too many times, but has never gone to the extent that LJ has. the two aren’t even in the same league with regards to being “POS”.
    time to see what lex hilliard has. losing ronnie would be huge.

21. ftomeo says: Nov 18, 2009 11:47 AM

Not going after LJ is simple. Who needs to look to Parcell connections with KC.
    1. Pennington goes down, Miami starts and shows full confidence in second year player.
    2. Patrick Cobbs goes down, Miami makes due with its RB corp including second year player with little experience Lex Hilliard.
    3. Will Allen goes down, Miami confidently starts 2 rookie cornerbacks.
    4. Justin Smiley is limited on the OL, Nate Garner a second year pickup with no starts starts in his stead.
    5. Anthony Fasano is injured, Miami promotes first year player and practice squad member (of a few weeks?) to lineup, start him, he impresses.
    Does this appear to be a team interested in filling holes with older, unsigned, high profile players, or are PFT writers regressing to the point where their thoughts and analysis are limited to the most superficial of notions?

22. urworstnitemare says: Nov 18, 2009 11:55 AM

Rumor has that the reason the Fins did not make a play for LJ is that they are working out a deal to bring back Larry Csonka and Mercury Morris.
    They can get both these guys for a tenth of what LJ wants. This coming from my inside resorces which can’t be revealed at the moment. Stay tuned for more rumors as they get circulated, but right now I need to see my jailhouse lawyers for some advice.

23. chickenfootishunglikeachicken says: Nov 18, 2009 11:56 AM

24. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Nov 18, 2009 12:15 PM

chickenfootishunglikeachicken says: “this is great, my number one fantasy back. at least cadillac is stil playing. it hurts drafting ten. (ronnie, then 11 with brady). and i thought maybe larry johnson would return to form this year with the chiefs. it looks like my running back combo will be cadillac and jamal charles lol. wish me luck”
    Lex Hilliard is 2009′s version of Tashard Choice in fantasy football…go get him…run don’t walk!