Ronnie Brown has Lisfranc fracture

Ronnie Brown’s season officially ended earlier Wednesday, and now we know we why.

In series of tweets, Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald reports that Brown is believed to have suffered a Lisfranc fracture in the middle of his foot.  The team knew it was bad enough to keep Brown out for the season, regardless of how the injury is treated.

According to Darlington, Brown made the trip with the team to Charlotte.  But it was for a visit with Bob Anderson, a foot specialist.  Brown has to decide whether the injury can heal on its own or whether surgery is required.

A source tells Darlington the injury is “not anything major as far as career or long term.”

Many players have returned from Lisfranc fractures, which is encouraging news for Brown.  His free agency status in 2010 depends on a new collective bargaining agreement, or lack thereof.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Injuries, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Ronnie Brown has Lisfranc fracture”
  1. Living_Legend says: Nov 18, 2009 8:49 PM

As long as its not you…tools

2. CanadianVikingFan says: Nov 18, 2009 8:59 PM

that sucks

3. chapnasty says: Nov 18, 2009 9:14 PM

Tough break. Brown is a class act and a tremendous athlete. Hopefully he can come back.

4. aj says: Nov 18, 2009 9:23 PM

Safety Glenn Earl of the Texans suffered a Lisfranc fracture in a preseason game a few years ago. It was a long rehab and he wasn’t the same afterward. Just my opinion as a fan of course – no medical basis for that observation.

5. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 18, 2009 9:26 PM

nnnnnnnoooooooooo!!!! ADRIAN!!

6. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Nov 18, 2009 9:32 PM

Lisfranc fracture: The Lisfranc fracture is named after a Mrs Lis Franc, of Mr Lester and Mrs Lis Franc fame. The Franc’s became famous one day after a tennis match. When both Lester and Lis each had injured their foot. Lester recovered much more quickly and his injury became known as the Lesterfranc fracture. Thus the slower footed injury return being dubbed as the Lisfranc fracture.

7. Osterhouse says: Nov 18, 2009 10:09 PM

Those two Auburn RBs Ronnie and Caddy have had very bad luck staying healthy. Two amazing RBs too. Its a shame they couldnt both stay healthy, especially in these young prime years those guys were amazing on that Auburn team along with the CB Carlos Rodgers and QB Campbell wasnt half bad there either they went undeafted and were snubbed from the championship game

8. gregoriorossini says: Nov 18, 2009 10:42 PM

WOW, 1 linsfranc a year for Miami… Donald Thomas in game 1 last year…. Ronnie this year… next year – ???? who knows.

9. promichael says: Nov 18, 2009 10:49 PM

Perhaps the new Dolphin regime should have unloaded Brown for Braylon Edwards. Ricky Williams has been the better back and the trade would have given the Dolphins a more balanced attack. Parcells just hates those Diva wide receivers! So now he must get one in free agency or the 2010 draft.

10. Ron In Charlotte says: Nov 18, 2009 10:58 PM

Osterhouse,
    I will never get over that grave injustice. Auburn woulda kicked the living Shite out of Oklahoma or USC that year. And the SEC was great that year. Auburn beat Florida, Saban’s LSU team, Georgia, and Alabama that year. I was at the Georgia game. Saturday night. It was electric man. The my Fins drafted Brown and I hope he has a few good years left in South Florida.

11. Sasquash says: Nov 18, 2009 11:12 PM

Can you say chump? This girl is hurt like every year.

12. RexRyan'sStressedLapband says: Nov 18, 2009 11:19 PM

# promichael says: November 18, 2009 10:49 PM
    =======================================
    You don’t know anything. Ricky may have more average yards/carry, but Brown IS the Dolphins offense. Replacing him for the rest of the season will not be easy, but the combo of Williams and Hilliard should hold up alright. The playoffs were a long shot before, and now they are almost an impossibility. These next three games will define this season for the Fins.
    C’mon Ricky and Lex, you guys can do it!

13. obscenery says: Nov 19, 2009 12:01 AM

I love Ronnie and the Fins, but blowing my own horn… I called this as the injury right after the play happened. Then I heard “ankle” and was optimistic. Then saw the pictures on the Herald of him on the field holding his foot and wasn’t optimistic anymore.
    Come back strong, Ronnie! You’re a warrior and we love you!!!
    Braylon Edwards? Please. I wouldn’t trade Ronnie for Braylon even today.
    And Sasquash? “like” every year? Little kids say “like” randomly in their sentences. I guess you were too young last year to follow the game, cause he played 16 and has overcome injuries in year ’06 and ’07.
    I guess Christopher Reeves was a little girl, eh? Show some class.

14. Otis Taylor 89 says: Nov 19, 2009 7:04 AM

Didn’t Dwight Feeney have Lisfranc a few years ago? I think he’s OK now…..

15. craiger902 says: Nov 19, 2009 7:55 AM

I injured my foot in December 2008 and the doctor noted that I also injured the Lisfranc joint. When I saw the surgeon, he said he thought it would heal properly on it’s own after being in a cast. So for 8 weeks or so, I had my leg in a cast almost up to my knees. When they finally took it off, the Lisfranc didn’t heal properly and I required surgery followed by another 6 weeks in a cast. It took about 9 months until my foot really started to feel good again. Not a good injury for a football player to get.

16. ugotflaccoed says: Nov 19, 2009 8:38 AM

Osterhouse, Brandon Jacobs is another injury prone rb who was on that Auburn team with Cadillac and Ronnie Brown, until his 3rd string status led him to transfer to Southern Illinois.

17. CKL says: Nov 19, 2009 9:11 AM

Wow that sucks. I feel bad for the kid. He’s a really good player too. I hope he can come back strong.
    As a Pats fan, I witnessed Ty Law get a Lisfranc fracture in 2004 on Heinz Field in that debacle game on Halloween and he returned to play a whole year for the JESTS in 2005 and lead the NFL I think in INTs. So there’s hope Fins fans. I don’t think Freeney’s was a serious as Law’s but I could be wrong.

18. finsbooyah says: Nov 19, 2009 11:13 AM

promichael…
    I hope that isn’t a serious statement, or maybe you haven’t seen Brown play. He is a top 5 RB in the NFL… I wouldn’t trade him for 4 Braylons.

19. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 19, 2009 12:18 PM

yeah i’m with everyone else – ronnie’s worth ten times what braylon is.
    i’d rather have an IR Brown on my squad than a healthy Braylon, actually.
    get well soon ronnie! class guy, one of the better people in the NFL