Steelers fan says he was poisoned, blinded by Bears fans

Steelers fan Zack Heddinger says he was blinded at a Chicago bar by Bears fans after some trash talking gone awry.

Heddinger was in the Windy City for the Steelers 17-14 loss to Chicago in Week Two.

“Basically, I guess, my buddies had gotten into an altercation and they
offered a drink as a peacemaker from what I understand,” Heddinger said.

That’s where things get weird.

According to ABC4 in Pittsburgh, Heddinger passed out and his heart stopped four times after he was rushed to a local hospital.  Initially, doctors just thought he was drunk.  But they quickly suspected something else was up.

Police are now investigating the incident, and the local bar, Kitty O’Shea’s, is fully cooperating.  Doctors now believe his drink could have been spiked with toxic grain alcohol.

Heddinger says he can’t remember what happened that day, but hasn’t been able to see since.  He’s taking oxygen treatments to recover his part of his eyesight, but doctors aren’t very hopeful.

“I don’t think they tried to kill me. I think they tried to hurt me, but the killing came pretty close,” said Heddinger.

Permalink 142 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
142 Responses to “Steelers fan says he was poisoned, blinded by Bears fans”
  1. CurseofBoJackson says: Nov 18, 2009 2:51 PM

Damn dude, I would expect this story to come out about Steelers fans doing it, not the other way around. All my condolences, no room for that shit, it’s a game folks, talk is fine, roofies are not. Stay classy Chicago. These guys must’ve been from Buffalo originally.

2. birdmancometh says: Nov 18, 2009 2:52 PM

Not saying he deserved it, but why would a steelers fan in a Chicago bar trash talk the Bears?
    Thats what I love about complaints of home team fans giving the away team fans trouble at the game. These people are drunk. Drunk people do stupid things. Go to the game, thats fine. Cheer for your team, thats fine. DO NOT TRASH TALK THE OPPOSING TEAM UNLESS YOU’RE READY FOR TROUBLE. And certainly don’t do it if you brought your kids to the game.

3. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Nov 18, 2009 2:52 PM

I thought that food (or drink) tampering against a Steelers fan was only acceptable in Seattle?
    Then again, this guy could be making the whole thing up… don’t all Steelers fans drink grain alcohol to cover the rancid taste of Steel City Beer?

4. WhoDey75 says: Nov 18, 2009 2:52 PM

God Bless Bear fans. They finally did what the rest of us have been thinking about for years.

5. mmdd1111 says: Nov 18, 2009 2:53 PM

Please don’t EVER talk about Eagles fans again. We have to constantly hear about the snowballs at Santa incident that HAPPENED IN THE FREAKING 1960′S. And they never mention that the so called Santa was some drunk 20 something year old…I mean can the freaking sports analysis jerks stop bringing it up every chance they get. Ridiculous. Hope this poor guy is going to be OK….

6. chc36 says: Nov 18, 2009 2:53 PM

Why is this news? Some disgruntled fans got into a fight, it happens every Sunday. So other than the fact the fight was about 2 football teams… I fail to see how this is talking about pro football

7. PervyHarvin says: Nov 18, 2009 2:53 PM

Have an altercation in an opponents back yard with the home fans and then accept a drink from them in good faith??? Sorry Heddinger. I think it was classless what they did but you get the stupidity and naive award in my opinion. Didn’t you learn not to take candy from strangers? Especially drunk ass opposing fans?? I can buy my own.

8. Bills=Heartbreak says: Nov 18, 2009 2:53 PM

This is absolutely horrible and I’ve lost respect for bears fans. Good luck to this guy, hope you can see again.

9. JollyRoger says: Nov 18, 2009 2:53 PM

That’s really sad that trash talking over sports might have led to this guy losing his sight. We all get fired up when it comes to our teams, but this is disgusting.
    It’s not as though heated words led to a fistfight, either. Someone actually planned a scheme to poison this guy. Unreal.

10. Contra says: Nov 18, 2009 2:57 PM

Man thats terrible. This man cant see now only because he had on another teams jersey.

11. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Nov 18, 2009 2:57 PM

I agree…..I am all for some good old’ shiit talking …but his is just another example of how AWFUL our society has become….It is really sad that my father and his father from a small town, would bring their rifles to school, put in their lockers, for some old fashion prairie dog hunting after school. You never heard of shootings…Now you need to walk thru a metal detector, get anal cavity searched , and full pat down, just to buy a hot dog!
    My prayers go out to this man…..God Bless!
    oh and SKOL VIKINGS!!!!

12. danlinker says: Nov 18, 2009 2:59 PM

It’s hearsay until the facts are in. Did anyone see someone spike his drink? If not, then this will go nowhere.
    Secondly, don’t let your mouth overload your ass.

13. NoKoolaidCowboy says: Nov 18, 2009 2:59 PM

Totally sucks. Those idiots forgot it’s sports entertainment. Hope they find who did it.

14. jj jones says: Nov 18, 2009 3:00 PM

What a terrible story. I thought it would be the other way around though.

15. mooremi9 says: Nov 18, 2009 3:02 PM

I can post whatever I want about Heddinger its not like he is going to see it. Tee Hee!

16. chapnasty says: Nov 18, 2009 3:03 PM

Wow. Prank gone too far maybe? I highly doubt someone tried to kill a guy for being a fan of a particular sports team. Can’t even in good taste take a shot at Steeler’s fans here. Chicago has oficially taken over the title of dirtiest fans. Hey Kevin from Philly, you are now in second place my friend. Hope this guy gets better.

17. The Wishbone says: Nov 18, 2009 3:06 PM

Your move, Eagles fan. Your move.
    Maybe this guy just had too many swigs of riot punch.

18. Florio's T-bagger says: Nov 18, 2009 3:07 PM

Being blind in Pittsburgh is a blessing. Have you seen what they call women in that hillbilly town? Hands down the ugliest women in the US and most of Eastern Europe.

19. va4daboys says: Nov 18, 2009 3:08 PM

This is old news Greg. Like always you are a day later than Fanhouse. Damn near exact same article. Should you give them credit???

20. Ravens Fan says: Nov 18, 2009 3:10 PM

That’ll teach that Squeelers fan to stop trash talking when in another city. Damn homey, next time don’t into a bar outside Pissburgh wearing Squeeler colors. The shame of it is, I guess he didn’t see (get it) his Squeelers lose in Chicago. I wonder if Chad’s mustard last week was spiked with grain alcohol, and that’s why the Squeelers didn’t see (get it) the end zone Sunday.

21. Sourdough says: Nov 18, 2009 3:10 PM

Maybe the drink was intended for Cutler.

22. slipkid says: Nov 18, 2009 3:11 PM

too many people dont realize it’s just a game.
    bars are wonderful places to meet people?
    of course this happened in the home of obama-style politics!
    bathtub gin!

23. Bens Attorney says: Nov 18, 2009 3:12 PM

And wouldnt you know the first comment right off the bat is someone thinking that a Steeler fan would be the first one to do something like this. Well guess what it was a Bears fan and if this is true I hope they throw him in jail. This is more than being rivals this could have killed someone. That is when it gets out of hand. Smack talk is one thing but to cause physical harm to someone. That is not good and I would feel the same way if it was a Steeler fan that done this to someone,

24. VikeRube says: Nov 18, 2009 3:13 PM

birdmancometh says:
    November 18, 2009 2:52 PM
    Take it easy buddy, it’s a game. If you ever get to the point where you feel the need to fight or poison someone over trash talking about football, you need to get a life. Chicago Bear fans are pathetic in general, they are delusional and are mainly idiots.

25. jibfest says: Nov 18, 2009 3:14 PM

mmdd1111 says:
    November 18, 2009 2:53 PM
    ——Only a hack mentions the philly fans on national tv. Remember in Chicago when the father and his son tried to stab the firstbase coach? Seems we forget about everything else that happens, unless it is Philly. Sports fans are good and bad wherever you go. When I was at the Rockies v Phillies game in Denver, one guy tried to pick a fight with me by following me the whole time and getting in my face. All b/c I had a Phillies jersey on. Finally I told the dude to either do something or get out my face. He walked away, most people if you stand up to them will fold.

26. Dr. Hannibal Lector says: Nov 18, 2009 3:15 PM

Can we finally admit after a case history far worse than anyone else that Chicago is the worst sports city? Can we give up the tired old Philly and New York beating?
    I think they’re mad because they’re so ugly. Watch the crowd shots at a Bears game. These people are all fat, nasty hideous gargoyles.

27. poiuyt says: Nov 18, 2009 3:16 PM

Grain alcohol (ethanol) does not cause blindness, wood alcohol (methanol) does. Grain alcohol is what’s found in regular booze, wine, beer, etc. and it can be lethal in large amounts, but it looks like this guy was served wood alcohol.

28. ☻☼CBS, FOX, ESPN, NFLN nbc says: Nov 18, 2009 3:19 PM

That sounds more like Oakland Raiders activity

29. Bens Attorney says: Nov 18, 2009 3:19 PM

@ WhoDey 75 God Bless Bear fans. They finally did what the rest of us have been thinking about for years
    Classy real Classy!

30. abajorek says: Nov 18, 2009 3:19 PM

I’m a Steelers fan from Northwestern PA.
    I am not an asshole or unsportsmanlike despite the constant banter that “all Steeler fans” are the like.
    I have met fans from every team, be it Browns, Steelers, Ravens, Eagles, what have you, that are belligerent.
    Every team has it’s fair bell curve of assholes and pricks, but the majority of the people I speak with a fair-minded folk that are sportsmanlike and enjoy the game for their team and for the game.
    For instance, Cincy had a great win this last week – they played very well. Steelers had some errors and the blame rides on multiple shoulders…whatever, I still was entertained…despite my team losing.
    I am excited for Nov 29 to see some great football between the Ravens and the Steelers. My uncle is a huge Ravens fan and speaks loudly about it….however (though he toes the line sometimes) he is not belligerent and we get along.
    I know this is worthless to really even say, but stop putting all fans in the same cesspool. Your team has assholes and pricks that are fans just like mine does, but that doesn’t mean all fans are assholes or pricks. On top of that, I believe the message of most football teams – with a spotlight on the Steelers – to be hard work and pride in their surroundings (be it a city or an alma mater).
    /rant. Go ahead and tear me a new one for being righteous and having a valid point.

31. stetai says: Nov 18, 2009 3:20 PM

You’d never have heard this story about Packer fans doing something like this to somebody. Then again, at the first Favre vs. Packer meeting in October, a Packer fan stabbed a Viking fan at a St. Paul bar.
    So let me correct the first statement. You’d never have heard this story about a Brett Favre doing something like this to somebody. Favre fans let him do the fighting for us on the field. We have class, unlike other fans in the NFC North. and as much of a tool as Fran Tarkenton is, Viking fans would never boo him like Packer fans did to Brett at Lambeau.

32. Bob Nelson says: Nov 18, 2009 3:22 PM

I’m betting this is a hoax.
    When the real story comes out I hope there is an update here.

33. Ollie says: Nov 18, 2009 3:25 PM

This is terrible. Steeler fans are nice pleasant people wherever they go. Thats why people love the Steelers all over the world. Steeler fans usually never trash talk either.

34. thekillerkeller says: Nov 18, 2009 3:26 PM

I was at the Steelers/Bengals game, I completely agree T-bagger. As for the fan, I’m sorry it went that far, but fact is he prolly deserved it…assuming he’s like all the rest of the closed minded fan base in Shitsburgh. Payback has been coming for a long time…and to add, I can’t count the number of Squealers fans start fights in opposing teams stadiums, payback is a bitch.

35. Dave J says: Nov 18, 2009 3:27 PM

@mmdd1111
    I might be inclined to stop giving the Eagles crap, if it wasn’t for the fact that they installed a jail in the Vet so an administrative judge could quickly and efficiently hear arraignments for rowdy fans. Ditto for the Linc, though I know it was later closed.
    How many other teams can say the same thing?

36. JimmySmith says: Nov 18, 2009 3:28 PM

Any idiot making light of this guy’s plight for a cheap chuckle should realize karma is a bitch.

37. Richm2256 says: Nov 18, 2009 3:28 PM

Did any of you idiots even follow the link Florio provided, and READ the story??? We have a fun time here bustin’ each other’s chops, but this is something far too serious to joke about.
    A 46 year old man went to another city to watch his team play a game, and got into some ball-busting with the hometown fans ….. after his team LOST. Who seriously doesn’t joke around a bit like that, Yankee’s/Red Sox fans do it all the freaking time…..
    you don’t try to KILL someone over it!
    This guy passed out after accepting and downing the drink from the other team’s fans, and they had poisoned it. No “maybe’s”, they DID it, the doctors know this, the cops are investigating it as such. He was in such bad shape that his family was told to get to Chicago NOW, they didn’t expect him to live.
    That sound like something we ought to be joking about here? As it is, he survived, but has permanently lost his eyesight. You think that’s funny, losing your eyesight over some barroom fan rivalry?
    Anyone of you who would make light of this needs a reality check. This isn’t about people from Pittsburgh, or Philadelphia, or any city in the NFL….. it’s about fans anywhere losing sight – pun NOT intended – of this being just a game. To physically hurt someone because they’re a fan of your rival team, to PUT A SUBSTANCE OF ANY KIND IN THEIR FOOD OR DRINK, is going way, way, way too far.
    This man almost died for God’s sakes. This isn’t a subject for juvenile joking by idiots who want to turn this into a bash against THEIR rival’s fans.
    Grow the hell up, idiots. Seriously.

38. The Troof says: Nov 18, 2009 3:28 PM

Please don’t associate the redneck suburbanites that frequent “Kitty OSheas” with the city of Chicago.

39. SteelerzGo says: Nov 18, 2009 3:29 PM

Florio’s T-bagger
    You must be in Cleveland eh?

40. TasteTheSteel says: Nov 18, 2009 3:29 PM

Football is a game. Trash talking is part of the game among fans, but even though Pittsburgh has classy and classless fans just like every other city in the U.S. this is messed up to the highest level. If you take something some idiot says and this is your retaliation, you have problems way beyond being a first class asshole. If what this guy says is true, I hope they find the people who did this and I won’t even state what they deserve. Go Steelers!

41. birdmancometh says: Nov 18, 2009 3:31 PM

Note to self: Don’t accept drinks from anyone at soldier field Sunday night. Thank you Rosenthal for saving my eyesight. This is not the kind of story I would have liked to have gotten on Monday…

42. leatherneck says: Nov 18, 2009 3:31 PM

Prayers for Zack Heddinger.

43. Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says: Nov 18, 2009 3:33 PM

I hope Bears fan don’t get offended when I piss on Walter Payton’s grave…

44. Dikta's Lost Perm says: Nov 18, 2009 3:33 PM

Kitty O’Shea’s is a hotel bar at the Hilton downtown. Just doesn’t seem like the kind of place a bunch of drunken yokels would be hanging out with their bottle of moonshine. This guy’s story sounds fishy. Sounds to me like a small town boy got into trouble in the big city and made up the story about nasty Bear fans to cover his ass.

45. bearsrule says: Nov 18, 2009 3:33 PM

# PervyHarvin says: November 18, 2009 2:53 PM
    Amen.

46. Vox's Mommy says: Nov 18, 2009 3:34 PM

Why is everyone assuming the Steeler fan started the trash talking? I mean…the Bears won in a late 4th qtr comeback. The guy had nothing to be talking about. We have no details on this whatsoever. Did this happen during the game? After? Afterall, it WAS the Bears fans offering the drink to him as a peace offering. Unless you’re an absolute nancy. Sounds like they started it. Either way it really doesn’t matter how it was started or by whom. The sad part is (assuming this is true and actually did happen) that this guy was poisoned ultimately because he was a fan of another team. He’s lucky he didn’t die from alcohol poisoning. I’m all for giving oppossing fans a little ribbing here and there during games, but…at least with me, it’s never gotten out of hand and we always part ways on good terms. This is disgusting.

47. Raiderref says: Nov 18, 2009 3:37 PM

come to the city that’s windy we will take not only your breath away but your site too. At least in O town you only get stabbed a few stitches and some bed rest and your good to go. You can’t stereotype all of Chicago this was an isolated event.

48. Patsfan1776 says: Nov 18, 2009 3:37 PM

I am thinking hoax. The suspects would have had to already be in possesion of the “poison” in the bar. I don’t know of too many people that have “poison” on them when they are in a bar and I don’t know too many bars that stock “poison”.
    It would have had to happen like this:
    Bears fans hanging out in their bar. Steelers fans happen to show up and start talking smack. Bears fans would have had to order a “poison” shot or pull their own poison out of their pocket and taint a drink. Seems a little odd.

49. mike says: Nov 18, 2009 3:37 PM

This is very bad but not new. Stuff happened 40 yrs ago like this too, only worse, and back then test couldn’t be done about it.

50. Majik Man says: Nov 18, 2009 3:38 PM

Remember when you used to be able to talk trash, toss some fists, then drink non-poisoned beers with the same guys you just threw down with while watching the 2nd half of the game you’re arguing over? What kind of pansies would spike a drink?

51. Occam says: Nov 18, 2009 3:39 PM

“I’m betting this is a hoax. ”
    Can’t be. It’s on the internet.

52. blmonroe12 says: Nov 18, 2009 3:39 PM

Wow, this is terrible.. Some where out there Philly fan is wishing they thought of it first.. This could’ve trumped the time they boo’ed Santa or cheered Michael Irvin’s broken neck..

53. birdmancometh says: Nov 18, 2009 3:40 PM

VikeRube:
    Get off your high horse jerkoff. When did I ever say I accept the poor behavior? This stuff happens. The world isn’t built with Gum Drops and Cinnamon Sticks. I’m just telling people how to stay out of trouble. Don’t be an idiot and you’ll keep your eyesight.

54. simple_simon1 says: Nov 18, 2009 3:41 PM

Wow….Pretty sad situation.
    And, for the idiot on here that said it’s all heresay and nobody will ever find out what really happened, you obviously know nothing about how the body processes toxins.
    If he was fed poison (it would have to be methanol, not ethanol as grain alcohol is ethanol) then it would be easily found. Trace elements of this would remain in the system for weeks, the liver would show damage as well as the kidneys, as well as the evidence of his heart stopping and the loss of sight. It’s an open and shut case. If they find out who gave him the drink it’s a done case.
    Not to mention, if you are so stupid that you give somebody methanol in a public place, and most likely laugh about it to friends, I’m guessing you’re not nearly intelligent enough to hold up to prosecution.

55. copes cabana says: Nov 18, 2009 3:42 PM

Just goes to show you how much people are scared of Steelers fans everywhere. Even when you are in your home town surrounded by fellow fans you have to poisen the Steeler fan behind his back. bunch of Nancy’s out there. Talk trash. if you feel you need to, throw down. Other than that, go home and put your skirt on.
    By the way, it is Iron City Beer, not Steel City, and it does taste like crap.

56. Mangy66 says: Nov 18, 2009 3:46 PM

What a bunch of sick f(iretr)ucks!!!
    But, I find it funny that some people are grouping all Bears fans into this bunch. I’m sure every team has a bunch of fools like this as fans, but it’s not fair to group them.
    Especially if you group these fools with Eagles fans. Even these fools that drugged this guy aren’t THAT bad.

57. hayward giablommi says: Nov 18, 2009 3:46 PM

JimmySmith says:
    ^^^^^
    Says JimmySmith- the world’s foremost expert on karma.
    I am not going to make light of this situation at all…but since *YOU* of all people are going to get on your high horse and preach to us…maybe if Bill Belichick was in the bar there would be some videotape evidence of who the perpetraters are, and they would be caught.
    Sorry, couldn’t resist.

58. BleedGreen says: Nov 18, 2009 3:47 PM

birdmancometh says:
    November 18, 2009 2:52 PM
    Because thats what Steeler fans do. They talk trash to teams that have nothing to do with them. They talk trash to the Eagles fans, for some reason, incessantly. As if playing each other once every 4 years is some kind of rivalry or something. I don’t know if they have little dicks, or what their deal is that they need to talk trash when they have SIX rings. When you win six super bowls, you don’t need to talk trash.

59. birdmancometh says: Nov 18, 2009 3:48 PM

“Some where out there Philly fan is wishing they thought of it first..”
    No blmonroe12 – Eagles fans would act like cowards.
    see MajikMan’s comment.

60. Paul_R. says: Nov 18, 2009 3:50 PM

“This is more than being rivals this could have killed someone. That is when it gets out of hand. Smack talk is one thing but to cause physical harm to someone.”
    Sadly, I’ve just read too many replies that show complete ignorance of the truth. It is a game. It’s only a game. But, when people take it too seriously, it’s no longer a game, it’s worship and it leads to division, violence, and even killing. People who allow themselves to become violent over nothing but a game are people who need God in their lives right now because they do not know God.

61. frank booth says: Nov 18, 2009 3:51 PM

To comment on the actions of a few fans doing something in a bar and then generalizing that this is the behavior of all of the fans in Chicago is just plain moronic.
    If it’s true, it’s a sad story. Unfortunately, there are idiot fans in every city like this. Except where Brigham Young is.

62. VikeRube says: Nov 18, 2009 3:51 PM

birdmancometh:
    “Don’t be an idiot and you’ll keep your eyesight.”
    This slogan should be put below the “Welcome to Chicago” signs

63. simple_simon1 says: Nov 18, 2009 3:56 PM

Patsfan1776:
    “I am thinking hoax. The suspects would have had to already be in possesion of the “poison” in the bar. ”
    Wrong. If you poisoned somebody with methanol, first, it is in many industrial cleaning solutions. It’s a common additive in cleaning supplies. So it would be easily available throughout the bar. Second, if it’s being reported it means there has already been an investigation opened into the matter, which means the only reason no charges have been laid is due to still gathering information for their case and/or looking for those involved. All of the symptoms match exactly with somebody suffering from methanol poisoning and if it was, they would have the exact breakdown of this information from the doctor already. Considering he went to the hospital in Chicago after passing out, they would have all the info they need already.

64. Sixburgh says: Nov 18, 2009 3:58 PM

I agree with ‘abajorek’. I have traveled the country going to Steelers games, im a die hard fan. So i have seen first hand just about every fanbase. Every fanbase will have their share of assholes and pricks who think their hard asses. Im a Steelers fan, and i would never, ever do that to an another teams fans. I respect the game of football and NFL fans to much for that. Its okay to trash talk, its football. Fans are what makes football, its just some people take it wayyyy to far. Grow up! Its called Sports Entertainment!

65. PervyHarvin says: Nov 18, 2009 4:02 PM

Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says:
    November 18, 2009 3:33 PM
    I hope Bears fan don’t get offended when I piss on Walter Payton’s grave…
    ===================================
    I came to Pittsburgh but you didn’t show up for the fight wimp.Where were you? You once again prove you are mentally ill. Piss on Walters grave? Damn dude,I’m a Vikings fan and think that is twisted. Go to Chicago and try it, you be like a steak in a dog cage. You give Steeler fans a bad name dude. Walter was a class act,unlike you.

66. Omega says: Nov 18, 2009 4:08 PM

I’m not surprised. My only surprise is that it has not happened to a Yankee fan. After all after the Steelers, who’s fans are the most obnoxious?

67. Plankshelmet says: Nov 18, 2009 4:12 PM

This whole story doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. First, Kitty O’sheas (depsite the cutesy irish name) is a hotel bar and is the definition corpthentic. I find it hard to believe that they would allow their bar to stock anything that is remotely illegal or dangerous. Its not a neighborhood tavern its basically a overpriced Bennigans or TGIF’s so unlikely they would have grain alcohol on hand. Second of all grain alcohol is not poison its basically the same thing as Everclear. Unless you drank alot of it I dont see how the alleged damages occurred. Third, how do you not taste that in your drink ? If he was given only a shot of it I dont think he ends up in the shape he is in. Finally, how do you poison someone from West Virginia who probably grew up drinking stronger stuff out of a Mason jar.

68. BlitzDorsey says: Nov 18, 2009 4:21 PM

I hope they find the a$$hole(s) that did this. I’m a Bengals fan and usually want the worst for the Steelers. But this is WAY over the line.

69. geaux says: Nov 18, 2009 4:21 PM

I wonder if it was the same Bears fan who made the classy “We’re gonna finish what Katrina started” sign for the ’06 NFC championship game when the Saints came to town.
    You stay classy Chicago.

70. Garbanzo says: Nov 18, 2009 4:22 PM

Sounds like this guy may of had some bad moonshine and is trying to pass it off as being someone elses fault as opposed to his own. Why are people so willing to accept what he’s saying? It’s very possible he was drunk at the time this all happened, not like drunk testimony is flawless.

71. Deb says: Nov 18, 2009 4:24 PM

I don’t think it’s a reflection on Bears fans. It’s a reflection on one lunatic. But the people who say they don’t believe it–um, the guy is blind. He’s not making it up. And you can’t believe someone would be that callous and sick over a football game? Just read some of the comments in this thread. Start with CurseofBoJackson–who I mistakenly posted recently was an example of a classy fan.

72. Sixburgh says: Nov 18, 2009 4:25 PM

@Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat.
    Man, you are very classless! Walter Payton was one of the best backs in NFL history. Nobody should be dissing greatness, let alone wanting to piss on his grave!

73. Onderin says: Nov 18, 2009 4:25 PM

90% of these comments are pathetic. Hope he recovers his sight.

74. Triryche says: Nov 18, 2009 4:29 PM

Paul R says: “BLAH BLAH BLAH, GOD”
    You have got to be kidding me. This is a football post site, not Jerry Falwell.com. Spew your God junk elsewhere.

75. SteelersSB44 says: Nov 18, 2009 4:34 PM

@Birdmancometh
    VikeRube is right dude. He’s not the one that needs to calm down, you do. You’re basically saying that if you talk trash in an opposing fans bar you should be blinded. You are a moron.
    Contrary to what YOU may believe, football is a game. And I would never wish any harm on any Bengals, Ravens, or Browns fan, including morons like yourself.
    @ Whodey75
    I understand that you are not a typical Bengals fan, so I’m not going to comment on the Bengals fans as a whole, but you have serious issues. Like I told Birdman, it’s a game bro, chill out. If you feel like you need to hurt another person because they root for a different sports team perhaps you need to look into some counseling. Seriously.
    I hope you guys get the help you clearly need.

76. tom skiffington says: Nov 18, 2009 4:37 PM

hey, rosenthal…you know philly fans threw snowballs at santa claus in 1968 right? why can’t we keep the focus on who the real hoodlums are?

77. SteelersSB44 says: Nov 18, 2009 4:38 PM

I’m praying for you Triryche. God loves you regardless of how you feel about him bro.

78. Plankshelmet says: Nov 18, 2009 4:39 PM

What a surprise, Florio and the rest of the Steeler homers at PFT are picking and choosing what to post to fit their yinzer needs. Go figure.

79. Holeinone09 says: Nov 18, 2009 4:45 PM

Well well well, the scumbags crawl out of their holes in the wall and really show their classy sides when a story like this comes out.
    I don’t care which team you are a fan of, this kind of stuff if true is insane and I sincerely hope they find out who did this and punish them appropriately. As a Steeler fan, if this happened to a fan of another team while in Pittsburgh, I would be horrified and hope they would be punished. I don’t give a rat’s ass how much trash talking people have done. And yes, I have seen jackass fans from Pittsburgh and other teams, they are everywhere.
    And to you certain scumbags who sit there and make jokes or get some happiness about this sort of terrible incident (if true), then you deserve to have something similar happen to someone close to you. Then, let’s see how funny it is, morons.
    Anything can happen, and it just might to YOU.

80. Howie Handles says: Nov 18, 2009 4:45 PM

by all means blame an entire fanbase for what some idiots did. also, you’re talking trash in the opposing city’s bar, stupid. not saying he deserved this, but doubt the intended the results, at least i hope they do.

81. Howie Handles says: Nov 18, 2009 4:46 PM

also, this story is at least a week old…slow news day?

82. Roethlisberger's Bitch Tits says: Nov 18, 2009 4:50 PM

Many Steelers fans run their mouths nonstop. Doesn’t matter if they are losing cause the go to the 6 rings rant. They do it to validate there worthless lives like they had anything to do with those championships.
    I do feel bad for the Pitt fan but there are two sides to every story. Did he deserve what happened to him? Hell no, its pretty scary when you think about it. As a Bengals fan, I don’t agree with WHODEY75 who is an absolute jackass in what he said. We definitley don’t like Steelers fans but would never wish any permanant harm on them. Some people take shit too far and its sad.

83. i'm president charlie! says: Nov 18, 2009 4:56 PM

everyone that stereotypes a fan base as “this” or “that” is just showing their lack of intelligence.
    it makes you sound like this….
    all bears fans love seeing bears at the zoo.
    all cowboys fans wear cowboy hats and boots.
    all eagles fans’ favorite animal is the eagle.
    all giants fans love books about giants.
    all 49er fans love to wear gold jewelery.
    get a clue!! all fanbases have a variety of assholes and respectable people…..if you simply judge people by what team colors they wear you need to go back to learning not to judge a book by its cover….what was that like preschool??????

84. Football says: Nov 18, 2009 4:56 PM

It’s against the law to poison a Steelers fan?

85. Dewey ActSwooned says: Nov 18, 2009 4:57 PM

Jesus Christ, there’s enough self-righteous sanctimony in this place to make Tony Dungy feel shame.
    And please quit all with the bleeding heart “this is such a sad commentary on our society” bullsh1t.
    People have been doing horrible crap to each other since the dawn of humanity, and for far more frivolous things than team allegiance.
    The truth is–not a single one of us was there to know what went down, who said what, who acted how, what the intentions were, or what really happened, so save your stupid assumptions and rash judgments.
    As for Philly fans–you guys have a well-documented HISTORY of shitheaded fan behavior. The dungeons in the Vet STILL echo with the ghosts of thousands of acts of assholishness.
    Forget the overblown Santa snowball thing–how does taunting Joe Jurevicius about his DEAD INFANT SON sound?
    The Bears (and their fans) have no history of sh1t like this.
    And I can’t believe (well…truthfully, I can) that there are actually VIKING fans out here lecturing other fanbases about proper conduct!!
    You, who cheer for a team that signs traitors and Vicodin addicts, fat, cheating roiders, Wizzinator smugglers, cheap shot artists, potheads who get busted at the combine, guys who beat civilians in the head and face with a metal pole outside of a nightclub, women-beaters, wife beaters, coaches who scalp Super Bowl tickets, players who constantly call each other out in the media, coaches back-stabbing players, lying, multiple-time DUIers, arrest-resisters, Love-Boaters and gang-bangers (yes, BOTH kinds!)–is there a bigger single collection of scumbags anywhere in the NFL than the DiQueens? (Even the Bengals, with newly added LJ, are no match).
    And I’m not even going to get into the fair-weather-fanniness of you horn-blowing Heidi-haired homos…you purple-helmet polishers multiply like rats with each successive win…increasing in obnoxiousness and chest-thumping blustery buffoonery and yet, ironically, you can’t seem to sell out a home playoff game?
    (THANK GOD we all know the crushing loss is inevitable, right? As long as there IS a God…
    I love that the Vikes might be 0-5 all time…I’d MUCH rather see that than see an 0-16 season from them).
    Point is–they have to be the scummiest, most spineless, most crooked, short-cutting, back-stabbing, law-eluding under-handed “organization” in the entire league…
    And you have the audacity to call out Bears fans because of ONE mysterious incident in a bar?
    The fact is, all teams have scumbag fans and decent fans. It’s a matter of probability. But certain reputations–like many stereotypes–exist for a reason.
    And Bears fans already have theirs:
    We might be fat, drunk, delusional, obsessive, and overly fond of pig-products (like Bill Swerskis Superfans), but when it comes to pure and utter collective scumbaggery, teams like the Eagles and BiQueens have already cornered the market.
    P.S. Of the two, though, at least Eagles fans are LOYAL–they don’t make the abandonment and re-adoption of their team an annual event, based on succes or–more typically for Queens fans–FAILURE.

86. Plankshelmet says: Nov 18, 2009 4:58 PM

Hey lay off the Bengal bashing. I was down there for the Bears debacle a few weeks ago and the majority of the Bengal fans I met were good people. The only thing worse than watching the Bears defense was listening to that God awful Bengal fight song every time they scored. If it werent for that fight song I would adopt the Bengals until the Bears return to respectability(assuming I live that long)

87. Dewey ActSwooned says: Nov 18, 2009 5:02 PM

Cleveland Sucks aka Philly Sewer Rat says:
    November 18, 2009 3:33 PM
    I hope Bears fan don’t get offended when I piss on Walter Payton’s grave…
    _______________________________
    I wouldn’t worry about it–I’m sure your Mom’s open mouth will be right there to intercept the stream anyway.

88. OranjelloJones says: Nov 18, 2009 5:02 PM

Richm2256 says: November 18, 2009 3:28 PM
    “….Grow the hell up, idiots. Seriously.”
    A-freakin-men to your entire rant.

89. Triryche says: Nov 18, 2009 5:07 PM

Obviously, if anyone is GLAD or AMUSED this happened, something is seriously wrong with that person. Regardless to our devotion of our football teams (which can be very obsessive), nobody has any right to inflict injury on another team’s fans. It’s flat out disgusting/wrong.
    That being said, it is safe to say, whomever may have perpetrated this crime, has serious issues beyond all this. I find it unlikely, he is stable besides this. Blinding (potentially killing someone) over football teams, probably only scratches the surface of what is wrong with this person. Obviously, there are deep seeded issues that were never dealt with. If found and convicted of this crime, he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. Anyone on this board, who took joy out of what happened, well, there are other psychological problems at work as well.
    SteelersSB44 – for the record, i believe in God, but i don’t believe in preaching it on a football website.

90. GoBears84 says: Nov 18, 2009 5:08 PM

all joking aside, this is rediculous… It is a game for cryin’ out loud….This is exactly why i jumped off the oakland ship a few years back, because dumb ass shit like this… I was a raiders fan for as long as i can remember.. and after the shit that Al’s done to the franchise, and the lane Kiffin deal broke the straw…. I hopped on the bears bandwagon week 4 of last year (family from chicagoland area, my grandmother would impale somebody that talked shit about her cubbies), and then, all this cutler drama, and Tommie Harris trying to knock a dude out RIGHT in front of the ref on the 4th play of the game? now this? wow.

91. Kevin from Philly says: Nov 18, 2009 5:12 PM

You’ve got quite a pair there chapnasty – maybe you missed the posting about how the Cowboys fans at the Linc were dancing around after Jason Peters got hurt. None of THEM were attacked, other than people calling them a-holes (which they richly deserved for their actions). And to the clown who brought up the jail (actually court) at the Vet, most accounts have the record at half Eagles fans, half the fans of that days opponents.
    For the record, in my experience at watching games at bars, the most obnoxious were the Florida Gators fans at a place in Waikiki. Goofy little chants at the end of each quarter, scaring the little tourist kids out to breakfast with their families. Whining about even the most obvious calls against them. Unfortunately, there were so many of them, and they were regulars, the owner let them do whatever they wanted. More annoying than watching college b-ball with Duke fans, if you can believe that.

92. Philtration says: Nov 18, 2009 5:21 PM

# VikeRube says: November 18, 2009 3:13 PM
    —————————————————–
    We will never know if Viking fans in the Metrodome are assholes because the stands are filled with fans from the other team’s city.
    I did like Fargo so you guys are not completely worthless yet.
    I said yet.

93. purpleguy says: Nov 18, 2009 5:25 PM

After owning season tiks for 15 years and visiting several stadiums, ironically the worst opposing fans I have encountered have been Bears and Steelers’ fans — so that bar argument must have been interesting. Ironically, the most fun opposing fans I dealt with have been cheesers, though I’m sure they weren’t the usual suspects posting above

94. ampats says: Nov 18, 2009 5:28 PM

Another typical fan of Steelers Nation!! Drunk & Stupid
    Doesn’t remember what he did that day.

95. Apetits says: Nov 18, 2009 5:28 PM

Says Heddinger’s wife in the story that Florio linked to:
    “Steeler Nation isn’t just in Pittsburgh, it’s everywhere, and I just hate for Chicago to be a city that Steelers Nation doesn’t like because they did this to one of us,” said Lisa Heddinger.”
    That’s the attitude that gets a lot of Steeler fans a bad rap…”Steeler Nation” is not, in fact everywhere, and many people don’t appreciate it when someone wearing a complete Steelers get-up walks into their business, bar etc., and starts talking shit. Happens all the time. Does that make this right? Hell no. Does that makes this a predictable occurrence? Hell, yes. Football brings out strong emotions in fans – poke them hard enough (and I’ve witnessed my fair share of Steeler douches making absolute asses of themselves just to get a rise out of the crowd in a ‘hostile’ city), and sooner or later you’re gonna come across a nutjob who’s going to take it to the next level. Feel sorry for him, but you just gotta be smarter than that.

96. Akshun says: Nov 18, 2009 5:34 PM

Chicago fans are scum.. First wasting Beer on Shane Victorino now this.. Classless scumbag trash, but they should know it by now

97. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Nov 18, 2009 5:37 PM

@ Dewey actswooned…
    The funny thing is your right about the character of the Organization prior to the Brad CHildress Era…That is why he was hired…First to clean up the club, secondly to win…He accomplished the first, now he is working on the 2nd…..
    I know your post was not aimed at me, cause I think our whole country is full of Knuckleheads, admit 2 things…
    You would take Percy harvin, Randy Moss, and Jared Allen any day of the Week…….
    Brett Farve Would make your League Worst receivers look like Sidney Rice………LOL, Bears

98. tatum32 says: Nov 18, 2009 5:39 PM

Dont get into it with fans in opposing stadiums, period.
    Sincerely
    Ghost of guy killed in Raiders game

99. PervyHarvin says: Nov 18, 2009 5:47 PM

Dewey ActSwooned says:
    November 18, 2009 4:57 PM
    ===================================
    LMAO Dewey,we Viking fans forgive you. Must have been horrible on that cold November 2 night in Chicago 1974. Watching yo’ Momma snort blow off Carl Ellers schlong and get dogged while pops at work.No lil kid should have to see that. Then the 17-0 loss the next day to the Vikes. No wonder you hate us. Please get help.

100. Dewey ActSwooned says: Nov 18, 2009 6:03 PM

SteelersSB44 says:
    November 18, 2009 4:34 PM
    @Birdmancometh

__________________________
    No, the guy in all liklihood did not deserve to be poisoned/blinded (although, once again, we don’t know all the facts in the story).
    Still there are certain simple formulas in life that–if understood–help you keep yourself away from harm.
    For example:
    sow –>reap
    or, it can be expressed as:
    actions –> consequences
    Or, more colloquially:
    f*cking with the bull —> horns
    playing with fire —> burned
    So, inasmuch as I know better than to walk down Compton Avenue in L.A. at night yelling out certain taboo racial epithets, or yelling “Fire!” while in front of a firing squad, or taking a bath in bacon grease then wrestling with a hungry lion, I also suspect that one should be savvy enough and cognizant enough of their surrounding environment not to end up in such a situation.
    Given my examples–it wouldn’t make the L.A. gangstas, firing squad, or lion any less responsible for their actions, but certainly it was my OWN actions that played a vital role in bringing about my own harm, that instigated the violence.
    Then again, I’m being presumptuous about a situation that none of us (to my knowledge) were there to witness.
    Where’s a good Florio conspiracy when you need one?

101. Paul_R. says: Nov 18, 2009 6:05 PM

# Triryche says: November 18, 2009 4:29 PM
    Paul R says: “BLAH BLAH BLAH, GOD”
    ________________________________
    If you were really a Christian, you’d know that it doesn’t matter where you ‘preach’. You do it everywhere. Matthew 28:19-20, Matthew 24:14 Look it up, if you really believe in God.

102. Deb says: Nov 18, 2009 6:16 PM

@Apetits …
    Yes, Steeler Nation is everywhere. Since the Bears are also a storied franchise, they have fans around the country, too. I’m a native Floridian but I’ve been a diehard Steelers fan since I was a kid. The guy across the street is a Steelers fan, too, and there’s a Bears flag flying on the corner. We’re all pretty intense–but we all get along because we’re civilized people. And since the Bears won that game, I’m having a hard time understanding what he could have said that earned him that response.
    I was lucky enough Sunday to hook up w/friends who’d found a Steelers bar about an hour away where we could see our game instead of Jags/Jets. Unfortunately, some Bengals fans found it, too. They were seriously outnumbered. But no one poisoned them. No one hit them. We ignored them–like grown-ups. (Okay, I did ask the hostess if I could run over them in the parking lot, but I didn’t argue when she said no :-)
    I wouldn’t go to an opponent’s bar/stadium and trash talk because it’s stupid. But you should be able to wear your jersey without being assaulted.

103. buzzbissinger says: Nov 18, 2009 6:46 PM

“Secondly, don’t let your mouth overload your ass.”
    I’ve read some uneducated, slap-dick, senseless remarks on this site, but that one takes the cake.
    You are a genuine dumbass.

104. Vox's Mommy says: Nov 18, 2009 6:53 PM

Apetits….
    While I agree with what you say for the most part, none of use, including you, know that this guy (the Steeler fan) instigated anything at all. Like I said above, the Steelers lost by losing a lead in the 4th qtr. I can’t fathom what kind of trash he could have been talking. I seeing it playing out like this….Steeler fan walks in to the bar, gets a little ribbing from a few
    Bears fans. His team having just lost the game, he doesn’t take it very well. Reacts in a way he probably shouldn’t have and then a probably mild argument ensues. A little while later the guy receives a drink from the Bears fans….thinking “ah, what the hell”…he accepts and drinks it. Now, as I said, we don’t know exactly what happened, but I would like to think (that’s just the optimist in me) that the Bears fans didn’t mean to blind and almost kill the guy. They merely meant (I HOPE) to more or less spike his drink and get him drunker than a skunk.
    As I said I agree w/ your post, but none of us know jack about what happened there. We can’t assume the Bears fans wanted to freaking murder this guy, and we can’t assume that this guy walked into a hotel bar and started talking trash after his team just lost (which just doesn’t make sense at all).
    P.S. – It’s called “Steeler Nation” b/c after the Steel industry crash in the 70′s a lot of families had to leave Pittsburgh to find work. They took their team loyalty with them, also raising their kids to be fans of the Steelers. Hence me being able to go to a bar in Toronto, Rome (this place really does exist), Charlotte, New Smyrna, Orlando, Wash DC, San Fran, Seattle, Las Vegas….(you get the point) and find Steelers fans enjoying a game on Sunday.
    I spent some time in Boston…I would go to a local bar and they would put the Steeler game on the TV for me in the corner. I would sit there by myself, drink, and watch the game. Win or lose I knew where I was at, and didn’t get too cocky if they won. Everyone…well the regulars at least…know I was from Pittsburgh and a Steeler fan. I had absolutely no issues with anyone. Most of them were actually sad to see me go, great people up there when they’re not talking about the BO-SOX lol.
    Point is…maybe this guy was a d*ck, maybe he wasn’t. Right now we don’t know. Even if he was, did he deserve this? No. But I do agree with some posters that you gotta watch what you do in some places. I know I wouldn’t recommend to anyone to walk through a bar on the South Side of PGH talking trash on a Sunday.

105. Vox's Mommy says: Nov 18, 2009 6:54 PM

Well put Deb.

106. princeton73 says: Nov 18, 2009 7:13 PM

The story is a hoax

107. ocelots138 says: Nov 18, 2009 8:09 PM

# tom skiffington says: November 18, 2009 4:37 PM
    ————
    And 13 of them (out of the millions of Eagles fans) boo’ed Donovan McNabb of draft day! Man, blinding someone with a roofie, that’s one thing, but snowballs!? Boo-ing!? How can you compare these near-murderous Bear fans with the scum of the earth – the BOO-ERS – in Philadelphia!

108. DoomsDayD75 says: Nov 18, 2009 8:18 PM

Poisoning someone and leaving them permanently blind over pretty much anything is pretty insane.
    The sweeping generalizations about a teams fanbase is pretty ridiculous though. Except about Redskins fans. Everyone knows they all steal babies and trade them on the black market for heroin.

109. chunky soupy sales says: Nov 18, 2009 8:28 PM

“….. And they never mention that the so called Santa was some drunk 20 something year old…I mean can the freaking sports analysis jerks stop bringing it up every chance they get. Ridiculous. .”
    You mean it wasn’t the REAL Santa Phillies fans attacked?
    SON OF A …..!!!

110. frank booth says: Nov 18, 2009 8:30 PM

Bears or any other fans can blind as many people as possible and still not be anywhere near as repugnant as the coarse and tacky trash that cheers on the Eagles. They make Vikings fans look good. Keep in mind that the same people that cheer on the Vikings put a pro wrestler in the Governor’s chair.
    Good to see the fair weather Minnesota fans going to games. I hope they get far in the playoffs- and then tank it. Remember Gary Anderson?

111. Robert says: Nov 18, 2009 8:49 PM

A line was crossed. No one should have to pay with their lives for supporting a sports team.

112. DnBrnc says: Nov 18, 2009 9:19 PM

As a Christian myself, I agree with you, Paul.
    As for this incident, I guess that I have another reason to hate the Bears. Really un-classy. Those people who gave that guy the drink need a life.

113. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 18, 2009 9:49 PM

“Basically, I guess, my buddies had gotten into an altercation and they offered a drink as a peacemaker from what I understand,” Heddinger said.
    ———————–
    Happens all the time in Las Vegas at the night clubs. You don’t take drinks from strangers unless the fu**ing bartender hands it to you.
    Tough luck bud, but you just earned a spot on this years Darwin – near miss awards.
    It doesn’t matter what started the incident, the guy is a fool for drinking the beer if someone handed it to him. Same guys he watched his buddies get into an altercation with makes him an even bigger fool.

114. PervyHarvin says: Nov 18, 2009 10:22 PM

frank booth says:
    November 18, 2009 8:30 PM
    ===================================
    booth,you my asshat are a piece of shit! LOL Hate when we win it all!

115. J.Cannon says: Nov 18, 2009 10:38 PM

All Bears fan’s are pieces of shit. print it.

116. Raiderref says: Nov 18, 2009 10:42 PM

“I bet the Raider fan that pee’d on the Dolphin fan in the black hole thinks this is going too far… ”
    Thats pretty good, I bet the fish felt like he was home near the warm atlantic ocean. Fish fan pissed off and pissed on. At least the fish fan can still see. That poor Squeeler fan is blind, and had to drink that nasty chicago beer. Not to mention his team lost. My suggestion for the blind squeeler fan is to get Serious so he can listen to football on the radio. Since he will probably never see another game.

117. Richm2256 says: Nov 18, 2009 11:10 PM

hayward, as a fellow Pat’s fan I have to tell you that the linked article explains that there IS videotape of the perps – not in the cat, but shows who they are. Cops are tracking them down.

118. SoupSandwich says: Nov 18, 2009 11:12 PM

Trash talk as justification for attempted murder? Yeah, guys, that’s just great.
    It’s a football game and none of the principals involved in this story have ANYTHING riding on the outcome.
    Way to defend your honor Chicago fans. You mouth-breathing, bug-eyed, goat buggerers and now attempted-murderers.

119. Richm2256 says: Nov 18, 2009 11:18 PM

princeton73 says:
    November 18, 2009 7:13 PM
    The story is a hoax
    Yeah, the blind guy is faking being blind, right?
    Idiots…. I swear Florio, you’ve got to start weeding out these people.

120. frank booth says: Nov 19, 2009 12:28 AM

SoupSandwich says:
    November 18, 2009 11:12 PM
    ===================================
    That’s interesting logic. A couple of Bears fans end up poisoning someone a bar and a couple of other Bears fans make stupid comments. Therefore, Chicago fans are mouth-breathing, bug-eyed, goat buggerers and now attempted-murderers.
    I’m guessing that you have have some experience with mouth-breathing and goat- buggering; is it a family thing, or just you?
    While we’re on it, what team do you root for?

121. Telemecian says: Nov 19, 2009 5:55 AM

I’ve never understood this behavior .. ‘sports rage’. Neighbor against neighbor over a sporting event -and sometimes to a tragic end. It’s pretty stupid.
    I’d like to see crimes like these prosecuted as Hate Crimes. Maybe when this childish behavior is severely punished, fans at large may relax and enjoy an event as rational adults.

122. DallasDeathStar says: Nov 19, 2009 9:01 AM

Sad story. Talking trash is one thing but this is too much. Good luck to the Steelers fan.

123. Bdrunk says: Nov 19, 2009 9:39 AM

What’s with the use of “mouth breather” as an insult?

124. OverallFootballFan says: Nov 19, 2009 12:37 PM

I believe that the true point to this story has been lost on everyone. This story is not a condemnation against any one or all Bear fans. This story is a condemnation sports fans in the United States. Every football fan should be outraged that there are people (not Bear fans, not Steeler Fans, but people) out there who would do this to anyone, whether they follow the same team or not. These things will get worst until everyone (and by that I do mean everyone) stands up and says Enough!

125. CurseofBoJackson says: Nov 19, 2009 2:18 PM

Deb, why? Because the Steelers have the most annoying and frequently violent fan base? Remember last year when two steelers fans punched a dad in front of his kids at PBS and ran away? I do, and I also remember listening to talk radio in Cincy and hearing Steeler fans say it was deserved over an over again, No BS. I understand your outrage, but that doesn’t change my opinion about the probabilities.

126. CurseofBoJackson says: Nov 19, 2009 2:21 PM

127. ocelots138 says: Nov 19, 2009 4:09 PM

# frank booth says: November 18, 2009 8:30 PM
    —————
    Come to Philly, and start saying that about the Eagles fans. You won’t, because you’re a hide-behind-the-keyboard pussy. Or maybe you just have a good survival instinct, because your doughy ass would be sent home in a pine box.

128. george says: Nov 19, 2009 4:55 PM

Great post, Richm. It is so sad to read idiotic posts on this very serious matter. Hopefully, your insightful take on the matter will educate some of these guys to be better posters and citizens. Any dolt making fun of this situation definitely needs to grow up.
    And fwi, oganjello, Rich’s post wasn’t a rant. He used caps for emphasis a bit but his words were anything but a rant. Actually, it was more of a wise man’s plea to posters to think before making stupid generic attacks against opposing fan bases that have nothing to do with any individual matter.
    Every sports fan loves his teams and wants to defend his team loyalty. Some actions and opinions are, simply put, anti-social behavior. The ugliness of it should sicken law abiding, god fearing and logical Americans.
    Without knowing any facts on this disgusting attack on the Steeler fan, any reasonable person would want to know more before drawing any conclusion. This is called logic.
    I hope and pray that the victim’s vision will return to normal and that the alleged persons responsible for this crime be brought to justice in a court of law.

129. Deb says: Nov 19, 2009 6:45 PM

@CurseofBoJackson …
    Oops. Was having a bad yesterday compounded by a disturbed PFTer. Wish I’d left off that last sentence about you.
    Here’s the thing … all teams have IDIOT fans. The two most evil people I’ve encountered on PFT are fans of the same team as the guys who’ve become my PFT buddies. I’m not wild about the Bengals :-) But you’re a Bengals fan and I do think of you as classy. I know there are IDIOT Steelers fans because one of them posted something so horrible last week that I wanted to throw up. BUT a lot of other Steelers fans called him out. For every person who called that show, there were dozens of Steelers fans sitting home, shaking their heads at their stupidity. You can’t generalize about an entire fan base because of the actions of a few idiots or even a mob of idiots. I know you know that as well as I do.
    Truce?

130. CurseofBoJackson says: Nov 20, 2009 12:48 PM

Ha! Sweet, not the response I expected, bet. Agreed, i went to the Rams pre-season game this year on a corporate dime (don’t pay Mike F-ing Brown anymore) and I was damn near run over in the bathroom by a freaking Bengals fan who shoved me out of the way to get in line for the pisser.

131. Canyonero says: Nov 23, 2009 9:29 PM

Holy crap, I’ve been so busy I just found this story. Unbelievable.
    Is it really a hoax? For the poor guy, I hope so.
    I agree — ALL teams have asshole fans. I was at a Steelers game once and this older dude kept giving everybody around him crap, either for wearing the other team’s jerseys, or not rooting loud enough for the Steelers! Just a jerk.
    But most everyone else was cool, no matter the team. Most people understand it’s a game, we love it, but we don’t abandon the social contract at the stadium gate no matter your team.

132. shabadoooo says: Nov 29, 2009 12:34 AM

this is just awful

133. shabadoooo says: Nov 29, 2009 12:35 AM

there must be toxicology reports. if this is true, they should find out where these guys were seated, and arrest them all for attempted murder. somebody must have seen this happen

134. shabadoooo says: Nov 29, 2009 12:37 AM

oops, i thought they were at the stadium. my bad.

135. shabadoooo says: Nov 29, 2009 12:45 AM

but in a related story, a packer fan stabbed a viking fan after the vikings game on monday night. stabbed, as in, tried TO KILL….

136. BlitzDorsey says: Dec 2, 2009 7:28 PM

The Bears and Steelers suck.

137. YakSeMas says: Dec 4, 2009 9:32 PM

OMG! STFU! Bunch of damn yankees! Who gives a shit?

138. rusH1023 says: Dec 8, 2009 12:24 PM

God and Jesus can lick my hairy, post-workout, unwashed balls. I wish I could bump on this site, so all the Jesus-freaks could see my anti-religious rantings. Thank you, I’m done.

139. mnmaverick says: Dec 10, 2009 7:09 PM

Packer fans top the list in these parts.
    The most biased fans on the planet.

140. CharmCityRavens says: Dec 11, 2009 11:52 PM

Following the last five Steelers games, there’s been a stunning reversal , Steelers fan Zack Heddinger is no longer angry and now thanks the Bears fan who blinded him.

141. bengalstink09 says: Dec 15, 2009 9:43 AM

@ every jack ass who posted a reply that confers this fan deserved to be blinded.
    First of all, the game is just a game. For all of you morons who live vicariously through each and every play, game, season and life hangs in the balance with each breath … get a freakin’ life.
    For those fans who actually know how to demonstrate compassion for other human beings – you’ve addressed this reality with class.
    Bottom line, this guy was blinded not from grain alcohol, but reports from western PA indicate they slipped him antifreeze. Yes jackasses, how would you like to have opposing team fans slip you some antifreeze. I imagine the paddles wouldn’t work on some of you, primarily because your lack of good deeds on this earth don’t make you worthy enough to be revived.
    To the jackasses commenting on this story and poking fun and thinking anyone deserves this — STFU, crawl into a hole and stay there.
    To the fans who realize how wrong this situation is and how out of control some fans have become … thanks for keeping it real.

142. Saints Superdome Bound says: Dec 16, 2009 9:53 PM

As a New Orleans Saints fan, I agree with many of you that there are good and bad when it comes to fans. But when we played the Bears in Chicago in the NFC championship game our fans; men, women and children were subjected to the worse display of classless fan abuse that I have ever witnessed or probably ever will. Grown men were cursing and shoving women, kids were cursing everyone and the general attitude of the Chicago fans was pure disgust. There were hundreds of comments such as, “Wish you would have drowned in Katrina”, “you f*****g whore”, “suck my d**k bitch, and so on. Just downright nauseating. Many of the fans I spoke to said it made what was otherwise a great trip to the Windy City a real downer, and left them with a tarnished image of the people there. That’s really unfortunate, because their are a lot of great people in Chicago, and I have friends that attend several of the fantastic universities there. Anyway, too bad we won’t get to kick that Bear butt this year. Would have been a great time to do it. Do the Bears still have a professional football team playing this year?