Housh revisits choosing Seahawks over Vikings

With the Seahawks visiting Minnesota this Sunday, Seahawks receiver T.J. Houshmandzadeh will get an up-close look at the team he passed up to sign with Seattle as a free agent.

Well, not really. He’ll get a look at a team quarterbacked by Brett Favre, who wasn’t yet a member of the Vikings when Housh made his choice in March. Speaking with reporters on Wednesday, the wideout admitted that a big factor in his decision was his belief that playing with Matt Hasselbeck would serve him better than either Tarvaris Jackson or Sage Rosenfels. If Favre had been there, though, Housh hinted the decision might have been different.

“Had he [Favre] been there I don’t know what would have happened,” he
said. “He wasn’t there, so I felt I had to do what was best for me. And
if you look at both teams, yeah, I knew Minnesota was going to be good,
but I thought we were going to be really good, too. So
hindsight is better than foresight, you know? And like I say, nine
games into it, it doesn’t look like I made a great decision, but it’s
too early.”

Houshmandzadeh went on to say that you can’t judge a long-term decision based on the first year and that he thinks the Seahawks can run the table for the rest of the season if they can avoid the red-zone mistakes that contributed to their loss to the Cardinals last weekend. He’s certainly right about the former and will have a chance to help prove the latter in the coming weeks.

Hasselbeck, for his part, is pretty sure that he’d be on the opposite sideline from Houshmandzadeh this weekend if Favre had made an earlier decision.

“I’m just glad Brett didn’t come out of retirement around that time because he just probably would have picked Brett,” Hasselbeck said Wednesday.

Things have obviously worked out well for the Vikings. They’re 78-1, Sidney Rice has had a breakout season and they drafted Rookie of the Year contender Percy Harvin, something they might not have done if Housh was on board.

Permalink 49 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill, Seattle Seahawks, Top Stories
49 Responses to “Housh revisits choosing Seahawks over Vikings”
  1. CanadianVikingFan says: Nov 19, 2009 12:50 PM

Um they are 8-1, who is this guy???
    I’m glad we didn’t take Whosyourmama. Percy Harvin is much more exciting and has performed better than that guy.

2. Vikes-N-Favre says: Nov 19, 2009 12:51 PM

There is a God. Had he signed, we never would have drafted Harvin, and the money he would have gotten, we never could have signed Favre.
    Housh is a average WR, and we have a explosive rookie WR in Harvin, and a emerging WR in Rice. As a Viking fan, I am thrilled that Housh chose to sign with Seattle.

3. Contra says: Nov 19, 2009 12:51 PM

The last paragraph is dead on. With Housh on board with the Vikings we probably wouldnt have drafted Harvin and Rice wouldnt be receiving so many touches. Thanks Housh!

4. zygi milf says: Nov 19, 2009 12:52 PM

“Things have obviously worked out well for the Vikings. They’re 7-1, Sidney Rice has had a breakout season and they drafted Rookie of the Year contender Percy Harvin, something they might not have done if Housh was on board.”
    *******
    Vikings are 8-1.

5. danlinker says: Nov 19, 2009 12:53 PM

I LOVE when a prima donna type jumps ship thinking he will go to an automatic winner. Everyone wants to be Deon in that regard. Got what he deserves. And frankly, I hope Boldin gets the same thing if he jumps ship.

6. bustabloodvessel says: Nov 19, 2009 12:54 PM

I’m glad he didn’t sign with us, he is overrated, and we’re better without him!

7. JuicyMelon says: Nov 19, 2009 12:56 PM

I am extremely happy that we didn’t get the Doush. Look at the facts – He leaves Cincy, they are having a good season. He doesn’t sign with Minny, they are having a good season. He signs with Seattle, they are not having a good season.

8. getlikeme says: Nov 19, 2009 12:57 PM

As a Bengal fan, I too, am glad he signed with the Seahawks. Nothing better than a little bit of addition through subtraction. There’s no way Housh would sit here quietly while Palmer throws to Caldwell and hands off to Benson.

9. Richm2256 says: Nov 19, 2009 12:59 PM

Way to build relationships with your current teamates, Douchemandzadeh. Hasselbeck must feel all warm and fuzy in that huddle, knowing you openly said you’d rather play for the interception-throwing old geezer.
    We don’t blame you for thinking it, just saying it.

10. PervyHarvin says: Nov 19, 2009 1:07 PM

Dear Douche,
    I really wanted you at the time. Sure many others did also. Thankyou,thankyou for going to Seattle. Harvin is awesome. Rice is emerging as a star with more physical skills than you. That hair you got is faggy. Favre wouldn’t like you.He wears Wranglers.You don’t go with the Viking image. Come see what you missed Sunday when we pound you. We are going to jack up yo’ Danny Trejo lookin ass! You owe Ziggy lunch money too,he wants it.

11. Kaz says: Nov 19, 2009 1:10 PM

I too am glad he signed with Seahawks. Who would have thunk it. Housh, the lockerroom cancer and selfish player Marvin spoke of all the time.

12. Vince says: Nov 19, 2009 1:14 PM

Damn TJ… thought you were a legit WR, guess the Vikings are doing great w/out you and the Bengals are too.. Looks like you got what you deserved

13. purplepuzzyeatrz says: Nov 19, 2009 1:16 PM

GREAT DECISION…
    Note* all he wanted to know was what the qb could do for him…Not what he could do for a team….Selfish dude…..fortunately for the Purple, Harvin is a Hall of Famer waiting to happen…..
    Doucheyourmama is not even close
    SKOL

14. JoeSchmoe says: Nov 19, 2009 1:17 PM

Wow, two really good teams that don’t have a player named TJ at wideout on them and the astronomical contract that came in the deal! (Cincy and Minny). Is there a connection TJ? Sorry bout yer luck!

15. leatherneck says: Nov 19, 2009 1:31 PM

I don’t think TJ Houshmanzadeh would ever wear a pair of Wranglers. That could never happen.

16. Bob Loblaw says: Nov 19, 2009 1:34 PM

Don’t forget what his distrupive character would have done to the Vikings. I have yet to see Sidney Rice, Percy Harvin, Bernard Berrian or Visanthe Shiancoe lobby to get more balls thrown to them or complain about not be involved in the offense.
    For the Seahawks sake, their front office should stop trying to stick it to the Vikings. After the Vikings took Steve Hutchinson through a poison pill, they tried to get even by signing Nate Burleson to the same poison pill-laidened 7 year/$49 million contract, then outbidding the Vikings for Housh.
    Basically they lost a Hall of Fame lineman and got two over-priced average WRs. Ouch!!!

17. Gergie says: Nov 19, 2009 1:34 PM

Maybe he is thinking he should have stayed in Cinncy. Short term he screwed up.
    We’ll see long term. I’m thinking Matt isn’t going to be around much longer, then who’s going to throw to him?

18. Richm2256 says: Nov 19, 2009 1:44 PM

“Harvin is a Hall of Famer waiting to happen”
    ….. yeah, you might want to wait past dude’s ninth game in the NFL before spouting stupid crap like that.
    Sounds a bit too much like a certain QB in Tenn. who isn’t going to make it there either.

19. purpleguy says: Nov 19, 2009 1:53 PM

At the time you could hardly blame him for picking the Seahawks with T-Jack projected as his QB. Regardless, this worked out okay for both sides: TJ got his dough and the Vikes are just fine with Rice and Harvin.

20. bearsrule says: Nov 19, 2009 1:58 PM

Of the Bears four wins, one of them came in Seattle with a ton of help from this guy. A couple of drops and a fumble led to a TD. And this was after a week when he talked about tearing the Bears up because they didn’t want to sign him. Thank you, Losermandzedah.

21. Fan_Of_ Four says: Nov 19, 2009 1:59 PM

Lucky for the Vikings , Harvin will have twice the career ole T.J Whodidmomma ever had. If Favre comes back I’m willing to bet Minnesota will be a well desired location for more free agents next year.

22. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 19, 2009 2:20 PM

if i was a GM i’d rather have percy over douchemanzadeh.
    minny lucked out on the late favre decision. (never thought i’d say THAT).
    harvin’s a stud. dammit why couldn’t miami have gotten him?

23. Dave The Dude says: Nov 19, 2009 2:24 PM

I just love all these Vikes fans who think they’ve already won the SuperBowl. Pffffffft. Y’all need to shut up until your team actually does something for once. And with that legendary choke-queen at QB, and the awesome legacy of choking by the Vikes franchise (second only to the Bills), you’d think these pathetic Vike fans would learn some humility and hold the braggin’ until they at least make the playoffs, much less win a game. I’m going to enjoy watching them lose in the first round of the playoffs, and I’ll be sure to come here and read their excuses. It’ll be like deja-vu from the Culpepper/Moss days.
    Oh and stop trying to stir up a rivalry with the Seahawks. We could care less about the Vikes. Believe it or not, outside the Midwest, the Vikes are about as relevant as the Montreal Expos. NOBODY CARES. Try actually winning a meaningful game or two and then maybe, just maybe, a few people outside of Green Bay will actually care. Instead of people asking if you’re wearing a soccer jersey when they see that purple gayness on your back.
    Frankly, I probably won’t care about the Vikings even after they get moved to LA. And yeah, Vikes fans, it’s going to happen. Enjoy your team while you can, because it’s going to be in LA within 2 seasons at most. And then, you’ll just have to root for the Packers like the rest of the farmers.

24. J.Cannon says: Nov 19, 2009 2:35 PM

@Richm2256 go change your tampon, as it must be that time of the month, for you, since you sound a little cranky. Percy Harvin > T.J.
    Douhmanzadeh
    Sidney Rice> Nate Burelson.
    Brett Favre> Matt “Premature Baldness” Hasselbeck.
    p.s. Brett Favre is 40 not 48 and the “gray fox” is awesome! (anyone catch Sound FX on NFL network?)

25. Dave The Dude says: Nov 19, 2009 2:35 PM

@Fan of Four:
    Ha ha ha ha, Minnesota won’t be a desired location for anyone because the Viqueens will be in Los Angeles. And regardless of what career Harvin has, your team will continue to suck. You really think that over-the-hill choke artist Favre is doing anything for you right now? Really? All he’s done is keep your draft pick in the bottom of the draft where you won’t find any QBs. Congrats! So next year, you’ll have no first-round pick, no starting QB, and your “superstar” RB will be recovering from another injury on his way to a Cadillac Williams type of career. Yeah, I see great things for the Vikes. You better hope you at least make the SuperBowl this season (extremely unlikely) because this is the last chance your team will see for a long time. Your line is getting old, your starting QB will retire after he throws another playoff-ending INT this season, and you won’t have crap for draft picks. Hmmm… sounds kinda like the Seahawks after ’05 (except we actually have enough fans that care about our team to prevent a move to LA). Good luck with that!

26. CutlerISaPussy says: Nov 19, 2009 2:43 PM

Dave the Dud- You are clearly a loser with 2 much time on your hands. And you clearly know nothing about football or the Vikings. Their lease is through the 2011 season. So that would be the SOONEST they would move. Not the latest. The MSC is not going to let them out early. You, my friend, are a huge douchebag.
    Seachickens BLOW. Have fun with your soon to be 3-7 record.

27. Chickenfoot says: Nov 19, 2009 2:45 PM

Dave The Dude says:
    November 19, 2009 2:24 PM
    ==================================
    Dave “the dude”
    Saints 9-0
    Vikes 8-1
    Next closest team 6-3
    Top 2 seeds get 1ST ROUND BYES!!
    Thank you for showing your ignorance.
    You are no longer relevant to this site.
    You may now stop posting!
    ————————————————-
    Richm2256 says:
    November 19, 2009 12:59 PM
    We don’t blame you for thinking it, just saying it.
    ===================================
    Yeah because he’s shown suvh a propensity for that all year…..same old tired garbage. Loser fans from loser teams ripping on Favre because he’s proving them wrong.
    1 season with a bum wing, which he played through and he’s injury prone…lmao
    He’s started 300 consecutive games!
    Congrats there rich, you are the asshat of the day!
    You post like you’ve been sippin on grandpa’s ” cough medicine”.
    Idiot!

28. J.Cannon says: Nov 19, 2009 2:46 PM

@Dave the chode. If no one cares about the Viking’s then why does PFT have a Vikings story every day?? Why did you just take the time to read a Vikings related story and then proceed to read all of the comments, only to follow that by posting a four paragraph rant about how irrelevant the Vikings are. Your a pathetic excuse for a man. Get a life, I mean seriously.

29. Lost says: Nov 19, 2009 2:52 PM

Dudester from Seattle expresses his current affection but keep it in the closet, will you.
    Vike reVival began with Steve Hutchison. But it would have turned out different had not Vike avoided high priced Free Agents like Shaun Alexander and Deion Branch.
    SeaHawg/Ruskell game Hutch the transitional tag because, face it, he was only a guard. Sunday isn’t a revenge game…..it’ll be a welcome relief.

30. Lost says: Nov 19, 2009 2:57 PM

Its great to add talented rookies like Harvin.
    Miami picked up Cameron Wake. You find a player named Wake only to find your coaching staff asleep. Dolphin might want to, you know, get Wake on the field to make some plays.

31. texasPHINSfan says: Nov 19, 2009 3:06 PM

lost – no crap. trust me all dolphin fans are clamoring for wake to see the field more. but not here to steal vikings moment in this post.
    cheers, and good luck

32. purple hay-seuss says: Nov 19, 2009 3:06 PM

Dave the Dude,
    Trash talk out your butt. I’m a Vikings fan in Seattle and I’ve been loving the Vikings season so far. How’s it going for the Seahawks? Waa Waa Waah.
    Nobody cares about Minny outside of the Midwest, eh? Hit the Cloverleaf in Bremerton on any Sunday, ass. I have met more fans here wearing purple than I have seen Seahawk fans with smiles on their faces. And ugly? How about electric homo green? Is this a racing team? A Bicycle racing team? You don’t hear national broadcasters blasting Minny’s colors, DUDE. I hear it from national radio talent frequently, even on Seattle radio. I guess the ladies like it, though. You must be a playah.
    I love your certainty that Minny will move to LA. I 100% disagree. And saying with surety that Vikings fans will have to root for the packers – – -I’d rather wear electric green. As for farmers, I’d like to introduce you to Jim Kleinsasser, native North Dakotan. He’s way too nice to intimidate you, but if you think farmers are a lower life form, he’d be an example of the opposite. You’re lucky that you don’t have to line up opposite him. On the field, he’ll remove your limbs, jagoff.
    Let me know when Seattle has a winning legacy. I don’t see any Lombardis around here. One Superbowl appearance and that a loss. And months of crying about some ref. Waa Waa Waah.
    Minnesota has been having a great year, with Favre behaving way out of character. His stats are fantastic. less than 5 picks so far. How is it that this year he’ll behave exactly like in the past seasons when this one year he’s been doing pretty much the opposite of all past years?
    So all you have to do is puke inane insults at a superior team. Your anticipation of a Minnesota Viking victory over Seattle is accurate.

33. JimmySmith says: Nov 19, 2009 3:09 PM

Maybe he thought twice about the Vikings because of the tendency of the head coach to throw his players under the bus. Maybe he considered that Moss always complained he could never get good weed in Mpls. Maybe he wanted to play for sell out crowds without having to beg the fans to buy the tickets, maybe he didn’t want to wait till 2012 to play in a warm weather market like LA.
    I am sure there were a lot of factors.

34. Laxer37 says: Nov 19, 2009 3:10 PM

“Hindsight is better than foresight, you know?”
    Thank you Housh. Glad to see you were paying attention in philosophy class. Who would have thought the outcome of a situation would be clearer after it happend?
    Now maybe use hindsight to rethink sporting that ponytail.

35. jx4cmario1 says: Nov 19, 2009 3:11 PM

@Dave The Dude
    For someone who DOESNT CARE about the Vikes, you sure took the time to vent…hahahhaha jealous douche bag. It’s so easy to see through all you haters’ “wait to brag til the vikes win a meaningful game” B.S….you know if your team was worth a damn you’d be happy too. So keep on hatin on us, cuz I love it. You made my day with your 2 posts bud.

36. hotchick says: Nov 19, 2009 3:17 PM

It appears to have worked out in Minny’s favor. No Housh but Harvin and Rice instead.
    But it does point out the need for a team to have their important players make up their mind about retiring or returning.
    Side point
    (But who would Minny have drafted instead of Harvin? Also the judgment is still out on Harvin. I never heard anyone say Harvin couldn’t play in the NFL. I heard many claim he couldn’t SURVIVE in the NFL. We wont know that for a season or two. But if he is a key cog to a super bowl run, who cares how long he lasts)

37. purple hay-seuss says: Nov 19, 2009 3:27 PM

Here’s Jimmy again. “Fart. Burp. Damn, I spilled my Bud Lite on my Penthouse. Now I’ll never make the final of Fists of Fury ’10.”
    You just go on with your bad self.

38. DasRipper says: Nov 19, 2009 3:47 PM

hotchick, the Vikings probably would have taken Oher and the some sort of playmaker in RD2…as it turns out I am very happy with Harvin and Loadholt

39. DasRipper says: Nov 19, 2009 3:48 PM

Dave The Dude, you just took time out of your day to write 6 paragraphs on a team nobody cares about? Wow, you are a loser.

40. Ruvell says: Nov 19, 2009 4:04 PM

I wonder if any Vikings fans realize that a team quarterbacked by Favre has won only 3 playoff games in the last 10 years. That is basically the length of Tom Brady’s career. Can you imagine what the media and football fans everywhere would say if Tom Brady had only advanced to a championship game once in career?
    Personally, I don’t give a shit, but if there ever was a match made in the heaven of failure, the Vikings and Favre are it. You’d think Vikings fans would be smart enough watching pathetic Packer fans blow the guy despite his choking every year. They sign him in August and do the exact same thing!

41. The Hormel Row of Fame says: Nov 19, 2009 4:06 PM

@Dave The Dude “We want the ball, and we’re gonna score!”. Win a meaningful game? I’ll let you stew in your own misery & flop sweat on that one, I’m done with you.

42. DasRipper says: Nov 19, 2009 4:16 PM

Uhhh Ruvell, the Vikings had Tavaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels, you are an idiot if you don’t think the Vikings are way better off with Favre. They are one of the top 3 teams in the NFL now.
    You were probably one of the people saying Favre would have 20 interceptions this season, now all you have to hang your pathetic hat on is the hopes that Favre chokes in the playoffs…you must be a Browns or Lions fan or else why else would you care so much?

43. purple hay-seuss says: Nov 19, 2009 4:31 PM

Ruvell,
    Ask Dude about relevant. The past was then, now is now. You are predicting that Favre will fold and screw the pooch based on some weird theory of past predicts future. Shut up already with your failure predictions.
    As a lifelong Vikings fan, I know more than most about disappointment and high expectations. Since you don’t give a shit, why are you chiming in? If you don’t give one, your statements aren’t worth one.
    Regarding Brady, I know exactly what fans would say in that situation: The exact same thing they say now about the Minnesota Vikings finishing well and going deep into the playoffs and perhaps the Super Bowl. Vikings fans crow about it, Vikings haters bash. Every Day. Duh. Unless your team has won the ‘Bowl every year recently, you don’t have much to talk shit about, either. You’re in the same boat as the other 31 teams trying to get there and win. What would Prince Brady say?
    “We’re just taking it one game at a time and, good lord willin’, things will work out.” cliche. One after another. Peyton Manning has them all down, too, you ass. Big Ben has them down like a hooker in Vegas. Nobody talks trash at the player level. Just we paying fans do it.

44. finsbooyah says: Nov 19, 2009 4:45 PM

What a scumbag

45. stetai says: Nov 19, 2009 5:19 PM

Richm2256 says:
    “BTW, enjoy it while you can, Vikes fans; he’ll resort to his old pick-throwing, injury prone, “it isn’t my fault” “I’m gonna retire, maybe not” self before the 3/4 mark. Leopards seldom change their spots, especially 48 year old leopards with gray spots.
    Last year he tore his friggin’ bicep. That had nothing to do with a “fade” that was an injury. And the year before that, he lead the team TO THE MOTHERTRUCKING NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME?????!!!!!! How is that a “fade”?
    And it was years before that when the Pack was even in the playoffs, does “4th and 26″ ring a bell?
    How is past ten years so relevant. If you go past five years, then Brett is unstoppable, if you go past 16 years, then Brett has been in the NFC championship game 4 times. 4 TIMES!!!! Super Bowl twice with one championship!!!!
    Each and every week you bitter, angry Packer fans eat crow over and over again.

46. PervyHarvin says: Nov 19, 2009 7:15 PM

@ DaveTheDouche – Where you been hiding you lil worm? I have kicked you around on here more times than Ike did Tina. You really can’t match up,not any fun to roast you. Just go away you lil Seattle,Subaru driving tree hugger and watch as we destroy yo’ team Sunday.

47. Richm2256 says: Nov 19, 2009 9:03 PM

To chickenshit, I mean chickenfoot, I’ll simply say that since Farve left GB he’s whined about so many aches and pains that everybody on this site just THINKS he’s been breaking down the past few years (by the way, starting 300 straight games is awesome, but when you get start breaking down, that’s living in the past. I used to be good looking, then I got old. Now I’m not).
    By the way, I know he’s not 48, I was exagerating to make a point: dude is old, in football lifespans.
    stetai: And the year before that, he lead the team TO THE MOTHERTRUCKING NFC CHAMPIONSHIP GAME?????!!!!!! How is that a “fade”?
    First of all, he LOST that game, remember? many folks said a younger Favre would have won it. Am I making that up?
    Second, yes, he isn’t “fading” right now, but let’s see Favre maintain this pace throughout the entire season and into the playoffs. Okay?
    stetai: If you go past five years, then Brett is unstoppable, if you go past 16 years, then Brett has been in the NFC championship game 4 times. 4 TIMES!!!! Super Bowl twice with one championship!!!!
    If, if, if …… the point is he DID go past the last five years, and he HASN’T won a championship or a Super Bowl. Was he great in the past? Of course. My point wasn’t that he sucked, only that he’s on the downward side of the hill and while he’s doing great NOW, let’s see what he’s doing the weekend of Feb. 7th. if he’s on the field in a uni, I’ll eat some crow.
    By the way, one point that CAN’T be argued is that Favre IS a human interception machine.
    stetai: You are also the same people who said he would choke against the Packers, yet he played his best games against them … TWICE!!!
    I didn’t think he’d lose to GB either time, not because he’s having a great start to this season, but more so because GB just isn’t what people thought they would be.
    Nice talkin’ with you both, I’ll leave the “asshat” and the “idiot” on the table, but I WILL take Grandpa’s cough medicine.
    PS
    Not a bitter GB fan, love my Patriots too much (have since late ’60s, back when they sucked.)

48. Chickenfoot says: Nov 20, 2009 8:54 AM

Rich:
    Favre- 9 games- 3 int’s.. yep interception machine alright!
    It’s not just the QB that wins the games, although you being a Pats fan, have limited football knowledge.
    I’d take the asshat with you, from your past postings, you are going to need it.

49. angrychicky says: Nov 20, 2009 2:13 PM

rich your team has what every viking fan desperatley needs this year for their team to remain in minnesota. Times 3