Andre Johnson denies that he'll ask to be traded

A.Johnson.jpgTexans wide receiver Andre Johnson wants to make it clear that he’s staying in Houston, no matter what his uncle/agent says.

In a recent article for ESPN the Magazine, Johnson’s uncle Andre Melton said that Johnson is getting frustrated with not making the playoffs.  “Everybody has their breaking point,” said Melton. “Even Andre.”

Melton said that if the Texans didn’t make the playoffs, he might take action.

“If he never gets a chance at a ring and I let him stay, I’d be doing
him an injustice,” Melton said. “Andre has done everything and given
everything for this franchise. At some point, if your best player
becomes angry and doesn’t want to be there — there’s just something
wrong with your franchise.”

Johnson is the boss, though, and says his uncle spoke out of turn.

“That didn’t come from me,” Johnson told the Houston Chronicle Saturday. “I
wish he hadn’t said what he said, but that’s his opinion. I make my own
decisions, and I plan on being here until I retire.”

Johnson was concerned enough about the article to tell Texans general manager Rick Smith that he has no problem.

“I didn’t want
the organization to worry about it. . . . that’s not
something I’m thinking about. Like I said, I want to finish my career
here  I talked to Rick, and we killed it. That’s it.”

Now Johnson may just want to kill his uncle’s ability to speak to the media.  Or think about getting a new agent.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Houston Texans, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Andre Johnson denies that he'll ask to be traded”
  1. Akshun says: Nov 21, 2009 6:31 PM

not a Texans fan, but he needs to stay in Houston.. that franchise has yet to see this team make the playoffs and they’re finally on the verge of that and without Andre they’ll end up looking like the Browns

2. DildoBaggins says: Nov 21, 2009 6:37 PM

Johnson is a class act all the way.
    The way I see it it would be more satisfying to stay on with the Texans and see them improve – as they have been – to be good enough to make it into January.
    Texans could end up being a 2008 Cards, the defense is playing better lately.
    Him leaving would be a Karl Malone situation.

3. Paulitik says: Nov 21, 2009 6:39 PM

The Texans would be fools to trade him, although I’d lose my mind with joy if the Falcons picked him up.

4. Gweez says: Nov 21, 2009 6:45 PM

Wait does this mean picking your agent based on how many DNA matches you have is a bad idea? Wow cautionary tale for those who come later. This is probably the first time it’s happened. Maybe not the last.

5. daffy87 says: Nov 21, 2009 6:51 PM

I’d completely understand Andre wanting out of Houston but at the same time the Texans continue to improve and look more and more like a playoff contender. If you pluck Johnson off that roster then Houston goes back to being sub .500 every season.

6. pftman says: Nov 21, 2009 6:54 PM

I wish every NFL player would take note of how he handled this situation. The guy is a class act and would be welcome on any team, unlike the T.O.’s who have to go play in Buffalo to stay in the league.

7. SirSuperSouthern says: Nov 21, 2009 7:00 PM

Please stay Andre – we LOVE you down here!!! Ive never heard a single fatass say ONE bad thing about you – ever. Everybody loves you and thinks you’re the best WR in the league and you give us hope that we’ll get over that “hump” and make the playoffs. If you left you’d break millions of hearts, and I mean that literally and sincerely.
    Thanks for clearing the air on your agent’s comments, and thanks for being such a badass on the field. You’re the best WR to hit Big Tex since Michael Irvin, and everybody appreciates your strong efforts. I’m no sports memorabilia nerd, but if I had your autograph I would display if with pride in my living room. God bless you…

8. SwedishMurderMachine says: Nov 21, 2009 7:29 PM

Way to go Andre Melton! This is why I encourage my siblings to have as many children as possible. Right now I am the agent to 5 untalented kids but you never know.

9. Nevisyakker says: Nov 21, 2009 7:46 PM

AJ stands for everything that is right with the NFL. He is pure class and he deserves to get his shot at the big ring. I hope that it is with Houston, even though like every other fan of another NFL team I would love to have him land on our squad. None the less, his loyalty should be rewarded with an honorable contract and with the kind of talent around him that get him his shot with his team.

10. ytandrs says: Nov 21, 2009 7:54 PM

I’d give my left nut for him in a fins uni.

11. aj says: Nov 21, 2009 8:52 PM

Andre re-upped his contract two years ago and is signed through 2013. He loves this offense and has made it known that he’s quite happy where he is. Uncle Andre needs to remember that his nephew is the one calling the shots.

12. FumbleNuts says: Nov 21, 2009 11:12 PM

Where there is smoke……………..?

13. scrapdawg12 says: Nov 22, 2009 1:04 AM

When I think of the Texans, I think of Andre. He is the Texans. Why leave when you got it good? They throw the ball at least 10 times a game your way. Your treated like royalty and your team is young and up coming. I love the Texans. I am from Philly but the Texans are quietly becoming one of my favorite teams to watch.

14. reckdd12 says: Nov 22, 2009 1:25 AM

Is this the same Andre Johnson that should be a Detroit Lion??? Ohhhh Matt Millen, you silly son of a bitch.
    In other news, Charles Rogers just got his 17th DUI.
    In more other news, his collarbone broke when the cops put the cuffs on him.

15. qsteel says: Nov 22, 2009 4:18 AM

he is 1 of the best wr in the nfl no matter where he went he would be the #1 wr on the team (with very few exceptions) madd good i honestly wish the eagles had a #1 like him not matter how good some people (including me) think desean and maclin are ( but they are the future not now but if 1 of them turn out as good as him i will be the happiest in the world lol) lets go EAGLES do your best im hopping for the ship but…………….. lets just leave it at that the raiders ( 2nd favorite team of me) clock management and last the inconsistency of the team idk but i think until that is fixed no superbowl sorry :'( really sorry :'(

16. bonecity7 says: Nov 22, 2009 8:25 AM

scrapdawg12 says:
    November 22, 2009 1:04 AM
    When I think of the Texans, I think of Andre.
    When I think of the Texans, I think of the Alamo.

17. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Nov 22, 2009 10:28 AM

“Please stay Andre – we LOVE you down here!!! Everybody loves you and thinks you’re the best WR in the league and you give us hope that we’ll get over that “hump” and make the playoffs. If you left you’d break millions of hearts, and I mean that literally and sincerely.
    Thanks for clearing the air on your agent’s comments, and thanks for being such a badass on the field. You’re the best WR to hit Big Tex since Michael Irvin, and everybody appreciates your strong efforts. I’m no sports memorabilia nerd, but if I had your autograph I would display if with pride in my living room. ”
    ***STALKER ALERT***

18. Asswipe Johnson (Pronounced Az-Wee-Pay) says: Nov 22, 2009 10:31 AM

ytandrs says:
    “I’d give my left nut for him in a fins uni.”
    A rarely used body appendage in exchange for the best wr in the game who would make Miami a Super Bowl contender.
    Sounds like you come outta this one pretty good…

19. REDROVER says: Nov 30, 2009 4:13 AM

I have worked with players who are extremely talented on an challenged team. I understand the frustration of not being able to take that player to the next level. AJ is loyal because that is the kind of man he is. His AGENT/UNCLE/ADVISOR has the right to share his ideas. The value is not always about the money…the ring is important also. Andre Melton you did what you do best, remind people of his value. Agents make the deals…from the looks of it he’s been doing just fine.