Chargers ink Runyan

Jon Runyan’s political career will have to wait a little while longer.

The veteran right tackle, who had microfracture surgery in the offseason and who has worked his way back in to shape only to have no serious suitors, has signed with the Chargers.

Runyan will fill the roster spot created by the placement of starting right tackle Jeromey Clary on injured reserve, due to an ankle injury.

“We are very fortunate that a player of Jon’s experience and ability was available at this time,” G.M. A.J. Smith said in a team-issued release.  “He is an outstanding competitor, and I have always admired the physical, nasty approach he brings to the field every game.  He will be added to the mix and we will move forward.”

But the Chargers will move forward with Runyan only for the balance of the season.  Runyan says that he’ll retire after the season, and then run for Congress.

“Yesterday, I received an offer to pursue my professional dream of winning a Super Bowl, and have decided to sign with the San Diego Chargers for the remainder of this season through the playoffs,” Runyan said in a release of his own, via HuggingHaroldReynolds.com.  “Win or lose, these will be my final games as an NFL player.  Last night, I personally informed the Republican County Chairmen in NJ’s 3rd Congressional District that after the season is over I plan to officially retire from football and pursue a campaign for the United States Congress.  I want to thank all of the people who have been encouraging me to run next year and let them know that I look forward to a successful end to my career on the field, and a spirited campaign against Congressman Adler in 2010.”

Runyan started every game at right tackle for the Eagles from 2000 through 2008.

In San Diego, Runyan joins a 7-3 team that has won five in a row, and that seems poised to make it back to the postseason and compete with the likes of the Colts, Patriots, and Steelers for a championship.

Permalink 35 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Philadelphia Eagles, Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, Top Stories
35 Responses to “Chargers ink Runyan”
  1. tom skiffington says: Nov 24, 2009 11:14 PM

“I personally informed the Republican County Chairmen in NJ’s 3rd Congressional District that after the season is over I plan to officially retire from football and pursue a campaign for the United States Congress”
    cut me open and i bleed green, but after that statement, runyan is dead to me.

2. bigbolt says: Nov 24, 2009 11:29 PM

George “the Animal” Steel playing RT for the Bolts down the stretch!!! Gotta love it!!! Go Bolts!!!

3. footballisfun says: Nov 24, 2009 11:43 PM

His politics not-with-standing, that was a great grab by SD. He has been THE prototypical ROT for a long time, and will help them immensely.

4. Bobby McShanklebee says: Nov 24, 2009 11:53 PM

I always was a Runyan fan….I wish him the best of luck in San Diego

5. FumbleNuts says: Nov 24, 2009 11:59 PM

Go for it Runyan!

6. benzo says: Nov 25, 2009 12:07 AM

7. I_Hate_Yams says: Nov 25, 2009 12:08 AM

An Obama-bot Eagle fan is looking for a hand out.

8. cobrala2 says: Nov 25, 2009 12:11 AM

It’s sad to know he’ll play for someone else.
    Football isn’t political. You, Tom, are making it political. Sucks for you with all the mindless party-bashing and jibber jabber out there (as if it makes anyone more patriotic or intelligent [hardly]). Why oh WHY would you let it invade your perception of such an endeared Eagle? …people need to get over themselves…

9. VoxVagina says: Nov 25, 2009 12:20 AM

It’s sad that every great player the Eagles have had in the past decade is finishing their career elsewhere. First Dawkins, then Tra Thomas, who I would love to have back there instead of that overpaid lardball Jason Peters, and now Runyan. It looks like the Eagles missed their chance last year, and I’m not so sure they’ll be able to get that far again, at least not the way they’re playing right now. McNabb is getting older, Westbrook is almost out of gas, and the team is obviously geared toward the future with all of their young players. I wish they capitalized on at least one of their 5 opportunities in the last 9 years.

10. rockotica says: Nov 25, 2009 12:23 AM

i will donate money to the Dem running against him

11. Wick says: Nov 25, 2009 3:26 AM

The Eagles (not my team, but a team very worthy of respect and admiration) kind of remind me of the ’90′s Atlanta Braves.
    The Eagles dominated the NFC for a decade of the ’00′s much like the Braves dominated the NL for the ’90′s. But what’d they have to show for it when the dust cleared? Not all that much hardware.
    Then the Braves got old, especially their pitching staff – and they fell back to the pack.
    The Eagles have FINALLY infused a lot of explosive young talent on that team – but they did it at the autumn of McNabb’s career, Dawk is gone, so is Runyan, the OL is in shambles and Westbrook appears to be near the end of the line.
    As the decade closes, Philly is still competitive – but their real window of opportunity appears to have narrowed dramatically … with the potent emergences of the Saints and the even stronger looking Vikings.
    My guess is Philly has not much to show for a decade of dominance. Sad given how classy McNabb, Dawk and other former and current stud Eagles balled.

12. brwnhtr says: Nov 25, 2009 5:14 AM

Jeffy Laurie didn’t want Runyan launching his political career on the backs of the birds. (typical Jeffy…Jeffy like asskissers only)…
    John couldn’t wait any longer, the bolts were the best team left willing to give him a contract… don’t blame him for wanting to go out a SB Champ then beat Nadler and his Acorn’ers next year…. the handwriting is on the wall for the Birds and the Dems….

13. shinsnake says: Nov 25, 2009 8:01 AM

Maybe he’s going back into football because he’s trying to angle for a series of concussions, you know, so he fits in better with the rest of the idiot congressmen and women. Nah, if that were the case, he’d probably be running on the Democrat’s ticket, idiocy being one of the foremost requirements to joining or supporting Obama’s party.
    Damn, good move by San Diego though. I was hoping the Bengals could get a 2nd seed if they make the playoffs at all and we could possibly have a repeat of the Cincy Freezer Bowl of 1981, -50+ wind chill! That game was awesome and after San Diego played in the sweltering heat of Miami the week before, there was just no way they could beat the Bengals in those conditions. Not that Runyan guarantees them a spot ahead of the Bengals, but it certainly helps their cause, that’s for sure.

14. PhonyRomo says: Nov 25, 2009 8:03 AM

Jon Runyan embodies everything that remains right about the NFL. Chargers fans are lucky to have him. I hope Big Jon gets his ring. He deserves it.

15. shinsnake says: Nov 25, 2009 8:04 AM

Also, has anyone seen trickbunny or Joe In Toronto yet? I heard they would be staging a sit in on this article since it brings up politics on a football site. “Seriously. Very annoying.”

16. dankula says: Nov 25, 2009 8:10 AM

“Why because your a liberal pussy who loves to spend other peoples money on useless policy? He will be elected and the Chargers will win, go cry some where else liberal.”
    Why do you have to take it there benzo? This is profootballtalk.com not vitriolfilledcommentsfromrepublicans.com

17. yellowjackets says: Nov 25, 2009 8:16 AM

Good for Runyan! Great for the Chargers. He is a class act human, and great football player.

18. cbrianwatkins says: Nov 25, 2009 8:45 AM

i don’t know whats worse, idiots bringing political banter onto profootballtalk or florio’s hair

19. me so horny says: Nov 25, 2009 9:34 AM

Well, what Benzo said I can kinda feel. When you work hard in this world trying to get rich, which is the REAL american dream, and you have 35% of your hard earned commission taken away so the govt can go spend YOUR money on shit that you don’t want like healthcare reform, you tend to get filled up with a lot of anger. It is not my American duty to take care of lazy dickheads

20. nasheagles says: Nov 25, 2009 9:38 AM

How did buffalo not sign Big Jon months ago….

21. Richm2256 says: Nov 25, 2009 9:43 AM

“My guess is Philly has not much to show for a decade of dominance”
    Dominant? Hardly.

22. meezle says: Nov 25, 2009 9:46 AM

John Runyan is one of the greatest eagles of all time. He even took a pay cut so the eagles could sign others and they didn’t have the decency to resign him, which they could’ve used him this season.
    People say that not signing Dawkins was bad, in my opinion, this one is more disappointing. He missed how many games? Zero. Played the entire last season with a broken tailbone…
    Great sign San Diego

23. purpleguy says: Nov 25, 2009 9:46 AM

The Pack should’ve signed him 3 months ago, but that would have made too much sense for TT.

24. VoxVeritas says: Nov 25, 2009 10:10 AM

“John Runyan is one of the greatest eagles of all time.”
    That’s so sad.

25. VoxVeritas says: Nov 25, 2009 10:15 AM

“Sorry, when I think of “Eagles” and “decade”, dominance is not the word that springs to mind…… competitive, yes, and adequate.”
    “Dominance”, you know, relative to Philly sports.

26. tom skiffington says: Nov 25, 2009 11:22 AM

“VoxVeritas says: November 25, 2009 10:10 AM
    “John Runyan is one of the greatest eagles of all time.”
    That’s so sad.”
    almost as sad as not winning a playoff game since bill clinton’s first term.

27. mattitude says: Nov 25, 2009 12:27 PM

me so horny says:
    November 25, 2009 9:34 AM
    ————————————————-
    I hate it when little men get on their soapboxes and try to enlighten a football forum with their “political expertise.”
    With that being said, here’s my two cents and then I’ll shut up. The true essence of the “American dream” is to make as much money as possible, whether it be legal or otherwise, and run your opposing business/competitive co-worker into the ground. It’s the Gordon Gecko philosophy. CEO’s of Goldman Sachs, Bear Stearns, and JP Morgan would agree with you, you know, they’re the dipshits responsible for this financial collapse. And don’t act like you pay more in taxes than anybody else here. That’s like me complaining about gas prices. Dry your tears, asshole. And you may not want to have YOUR tax money spent on healthcare, but I never wanted MY tax money spent occupying a foreign country that never contained a WMD.

28. Mike Vick, Pet Detective says: Nov 25, 2009 12:47 PM

Runyan is one of the greatest Eagles of all time. Pretty much sums up why they haven’t won anything since before JFK was sworn in.
    49 years. What a stretch of complete ineptness. I would feel sorry for Philly fans if they weren’t such scumbags.

29. shinsnake says: Nov 25, 2009 1:09 PM

Ahhh, it’s cute to see mattitude try and convince everyone that the financial collapse started on Wall Street when he really knows that it started in social-engineering projects started by Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac that bankrupted the housing industry by forcing banks to give out loans that they knew would go unpaid if interest rates ever rose, which of course, they did. Even that’s just part of the answer. Seriously, how do three CEO’s cause the entire financial world to collapse? Those CEO’s and others of their ilk have been there for decades now, but for some reason, just in 2007-2008, they got too greedy and caused the whole world to collapse? You’d have to be a moron to believe something like that. No, there were a large combination of factors that contributed to the financial mess, overspending by W’s administration, Congressional mandates on car efficiency, lack of tort reform and overregulation of the health care industry causing prices to rise astronomically, Congress raising the minimum wage (25% of teens unemployed who happen to spend the largest percent of their income in the open economy), desire for everyone to have a home regardless of whether they could afford it or not (started by liberals, supported by W), reliance on foreign energy that can be manipulated for political reasons and future commodity traders who artificially raised the price of oil.
    And then the one aspect no one talks about when talking about the financial collapse: me. Not just me, you too, though not you mattitude, you seem to be a sheep who blindly follows what you’re told to do and who you’re told to like. But people like me, who have pulled back from the economy so that we don’t have to pay more taxes. Not those who refuse to pay taxes like Geithner and Obama’s cabinet, but those who refuse to work because another man says that he hasn’t given enough of his money for the greater good. In other words, those of us who have gone Galt are partially to blame for this financial collapse. We’ve take our money out of the market and bought gold. We make sure we stay at the lowest level of pay we can survive on so that the government doesn’t get too much of our money. Those of us, like me, who own a business, make sure our profits stay at a level where we can continue to operate, but not at a level where we are being raped even further by the government. When people like you, mattitude, complain about the financial collapse and our responsibility to pay our taxes for things that we don’t want, I feel a bit like Rorschach in Watchmen. They look up at me and scream Save Me! I whisper back, No.

30. tom skiffington says: Nov 25, 2009 1:46 PM

JHC…one joke about runyan being dead to me and look what i started…

31. mattitude says: Nov 25, 2009 2:02 PM

@shinsnake
    I only glanced at part of that wall of text to take issue with the finer (read: uninformed) points of your argument. As simply as I can put it, yes, companies like Bear and Goldman did give out excessive home loans to those who could not possibly afford to pay them. Undersexed conservatives like yourself want to point the finger at the low income families who were granted the loans, instead of blaming Bear and Goldman for their limitless lending. Both companies actually MADE MONEY by buying insurance on these loans and betting they would fail. Google “credit default swaps” and “collateralized debt obligations”, only because I don’t care to explain the whole scam in a football forum to a poorly-read virgin.
    To put some of your other comments into perspective:
    1. You say you own a business, but owning one lawnmower to trim the yards of your elderly neighbors does not count as a business.
    2.”But people like me, who have pulled back from the economy so that we don’t have to pay more taxes.”
    The above statement has “crazy white guy”, i.e. Timothy McVey written all over it. The FBI is probably already watching you.
    3. You close your argument by including a quote from a movie based off a graphic novel that prominently featured a giant blue penis. Need I say more about your carnal desires or sexual orientation?

32. damnitall says: Nov 25, 2009 2:02 PM

@tom skiffington says:
    November 25, 2009 1:46 PM
    JHC…one joke about runyan being dead to me and look what i started…
    Nice going, Tom. Whose pot you going to stir next? :)
    On the football side. I also hope Jon get’s his ring before retiring.

33. Whiterhino says: Nov 26, 2009 6:18 AM

me so horny says:
    November 25, 2009 9:34 AM
    ————-
    But spending that money bombing women and children in Iraq and Afghanistan is a completely decent way to spend your tax money, because we’re in a War on Terror. We’re at war with an emotion! We cannot afford to lose!

34. Whiterhino says: Nov 26, 2009 6:21 AM

VoxVeritas says:
    November 25, 2009 10:10 AM
    “John Runyan is one of the greatest eagles of all time.”
    That’s so sad.
    ————-
    Not as sad as your Myspace page, or your entire life really.
    Did you ever find someone to play Magic: The Gathering with? Did they mind that your room/the basement in your mom’s house smells like the catbox?

35. Whiterhino says: Nov 26, 2009 6:22 AM

Mike Vick, Pet Detective says:
    November 25, 2009 12:47 PM
    ————-
    Typical Dallas fan. Only Steers and Queers come from Texas, and MV,PD sure as hell ain’t no steer.