Martz says he's not heading to Chicago

Earlier today, a report emerged from Brad Biggs of the Chicago Sun-Times that former Rams offensive coordinator, Rams head coach, Lions offensive coordinator, and 49ers offensive coordinator Mike Martz could be headed to the Bears, as the replacement for offensive coordinator Ron Turner.

Citing a source close to Martz (i.e., agent Bob Lamonte trying to create a market for his client), Biggs wrote that Martz could be the guy, assuming Turner is fired.

And, you know, coach Lovie Smith isn’t.

Dennis Dillon of Sporting News reached Martz by phone on Wednesday, and Martz says it’s not happening.

This if the first I’ve heard of that,” Martz said.  “I just walked
into the office and sat down.  You could knock me over with a feather
right now.  No.  No.  They’ve got an offensive coordinator right now.  And
he’s a good one.

“I have not talked to Lovie.  You shocked me. You surprised me with that one.”

During our weekly appearance on WSCR’s The Danny Mac Show, the guys asked me about the possibility of Martz coming to town.

“Jay Cutler would hire Kyle Turley to kill Martz,” I said, in reference to reports from several years back that Turley threatened to end Martz’s life while the two men were working for the Rams.  (It’s worth listening to the segment, if only to hear the song they play at the start of the spot — and also to take in the spirited debate regarding Matt Millen that concludes the visit.)

Though Cutler wouldn’t go quite so far (we think), there’s no way that the lackadaisical Cutler would tolerate for more than a couple of days the non-stop micromanagement and the Tolstoyesque playbook that are characteristic of Martz offenses.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Rumor Mill, Sprint Football Live - Rumors, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Martz says he's not heading to Chicago”
  1. Gene Simmon's Tongue says: Nov 25, 2009 4:20 PM

No matter who coaches Cutler, Cutler will still suck! Always will.

2. leatherneck says: Nov 25, 2009 4:23 PM

I like how Florio always explains his obscure references. I wouldn’t get them otherwise.

3. leatherneck says: Nov 25, 2009 4:25 PM

One other thing here. Under Shanahan, the Broncos ran the WCO. Under Ron Turner, the Bears run the WCO. That is what Jay Cutler is used to.
    Mike Martz and the “Greatest Show on Turf” ran the Air Coryell system.

4. 1stngoal says: Nov 25, 2009 4:34 PM

“Tolstoyesque” lol I like that Mr. Florio :o)

5. TFBuckFutter says: Nov 25, 2009 4:53 PM

You know what I always think when I see Mike Martz?
    “That guy eats his boogers.”

6. VonClausewitz says: Nov 25, 2009 4:53 PM

This characterization of Martz as a micromanager with a massively complicated playbook amuses me. It makes him seem like a superhero of sorts. Someone with boundless energy and attention to detail. The man who can be everywhere at once and who has overprepared to the point that nobody can understand him. It’s somewhat comical. And then I realize that most people in the league consider these qualities to be Bad Things, and it becomes flat out hysterical. God Bless America.

7. tatum32 says: Nov 25, 2009 5:30 PM

“You know what I always think when I see Mike Martz?”

8. Blaze73 says: Nov 25, 2009 5:32 PM

You can tell that he is lying because he called Ron Turner a good offensive coordinator.

9. FumbleNuts says: Nov 25, 2009 5:35 PM

Mike Martz should become the next OC for the Browns.

10. Brewster says: Nov 25, 2009 6:20 PM

“You know what I always think when I see Mike Martz?”
    He’s going to call a few plays every game that leave you saying, are you kidding me, what the hell was he thinking.
    But overall his offenses are entertaining to watch and make for an exciting game.
    Those are comments not generally associated with McDaniels or Haley’s play calling this year.

11. JimmyY says: Nov 25, 2009 6:21 PM

Gee, Mikey, spending lots of time banging away at the old PC today. Thought you’d be out huntin’ up tomorrows dinner with your bow and arrow there in W. Virginny. But hey, keep it up and have a Happy.

12. penguininbondage says: Nov 25, 2009 6:22 PM

Martz has always been a joke. Like Kotite he took a winning franchise and drove it into the ground.

13. TFBuckFutter says: Nov 25, 2009 6:41 PM

“tatum32 says:
    November 25, 2009 5:30 PM
    “You know what I always think when I see Mike Martz?”
    That guy knows offense, despite whatever former SCRUB players say – Turley was probably on steroids/and enraged half the time he was at St Louis (remember when wanted to change to defensive end)”
    No. That’s not what I think when I see him.
    If you paid close enough attention, you would see that I answered the question right after I asked it.
    It was rhetorical. I was just trying to draw attention to the fact that, even if he was the greatest artist of all time, his most prominent feature is that he looks like a guy who eats his boogers. It’s like Van Gogh. You don’t say “That great artist?” you say “That artist that cut off his ear?” Same with Martz. The natural response isn’t “You mean that great offensive genius?” it’s “You mean that football guy that looks like he chows down on nose trailmix?”

14. OscarMooseFarmer says: Nov 25, 2009 6:44 PM

I like martz…
    Remember when Kyle Turley stood up in his birthday suit and gave Georgia Frontiere a bear hug like only a line man could and then completely forgot about it?

15. TFBuckFutter says: Nov 25, 2009 6:48 PM

Stop answering my question! I answered it already! The answer was “boogers”.

16. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 25, 2009 7:56 PM

———————–
    Ever think that this might actually be what he needs?
    He shows up to practice every day and works, unlike your RotY Harvin who practices when he feels like it.
    Saying he is lackadaisical just because he keeps his emotions in check is a stretch. That would make Lovie the laziest coach in the game, maybe you’re onto something there.
    You just want to see him blow up on the sidelines so you have something to talk about.
    Cutler was 17-1 in the west coast offense when the defense held the opponent to under 20 points. He is young and tries to force things too much when his team is down. Someone like Martz micro-managing him just might be perfect.

17. slipkid says: Nov 25, 2009 8:46 PM

martz is probly just what cutler needs.
    u want to throw the ball around, boy, well here’s how u do it…
    detroit was clearly worse off without martz .

18. FumbleNuts says: Nov 25, 2009 11:52 PM

penguininbondage says:
    November 25, 2009 6:22 PM
    How many Super Bowl rings do you have?

19. bladerunner says: Nov 25, 2009 11:52 PM

“tolstoyesque playbook”? Does this mean that Cutler gets run over by a train a la Anna K? Isn’t that about the same amount of protection that he currently gets from his offensive line? Or should we be watching old Woody Allen films to figure out the reference?