Glazer: Roethlisberger out with concussion

Despite several days of optimism regarding the availability of Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger for Sunday night’s game against the Ravens, Roethlisberger will not play, according to Jay Glazer of FOX, via Twitter.

Glazer reports that Roethlisberger has been suffering from exercise-induced headaches.  Thus, the team has decided to shut him down.

[Editor's note:  In a prior version of this post, I accidentally wrote that the Steelers had decided "to shit him down."  As one of you surmised in the comments, I got caught between "shut" and "sit."  And so when I start using that term intentionally in the future regarding guys who won't be playing in a given game, we'll all know how it got started.]

Starting for the Steelers will be Dennis Dixon, a fifth-round pick in 2008 who slid down the draft board after suffering a torn ACL during the 2007 college football season.  (He actually played with the injury for one game before getting surgery to repair it.)

Dixon steps in because veteran Charlie Batch suffered a wrist injury during the handful of snaps he took in overtime on Sunday against the Chiefs, after Roethlisberger took a knee to the head.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Injuries, Pittsburgh Steelers, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
57 Responses to “Glazer: Roethlisberger out with concussion”
  1. kjl451 says: Nov 28, 2009 10:53 AM

SHIT him down. Epic.

2. gopherb24 says: Nov 28, 2009 10:54 AM

“Thus, the team has decided to shit him down.”
    HAHA! I’ve always lobbied for a PFT editor, but if you keep writing stuff like that, Florio, keep it up. Apparently, you’re Josh McDaniels, and PFT is your NFL Network.

3. DaBillsDaaahhhBills says: Nov 28, 2009 10:55 AM

Glazer reports that Roethlisberger has been suffering from exercise-induced headaches. Thus, the team has decided to shit him down.
    YEAH, SHIT HIS ASS DOWN! ITS FOR HIS OWN GOOD.

4. tsiguy96 says: Nov 28, 2009 10:55 AM

” Thus, the team has decided to shit him down.”
    AHAHAHA
    nice florio

5. BriDawg29 says: Nov 28, 2009 10:55 AM

The team has decided to “shit him down”?
    Really?

6. Shogey13 says: Nov 28, 2009 10:57 AM

I hate when my coaches shit me down.

7. stiller43 says: Nov 28, 2009 10:58 AM

May the Dennis Dixon era begin.

8. MacDaddy says: Nov 28, 2009 10:58 AM

review 2d para, 2d sentence. “shut” him down…

9. shvd98z24 says: Nov 28, 2009 10:58 AM

They decided to “shit” him down? WTF Florio…..hahaha! I guess you were struggling with “sit” him down and “shut” him down?

10. VonClausewitz says: Nov 28, 2009 11:00 AM

Shit him down? Spellcheck please.
    If I were a Steelers’ fan I’d be worried about making the wildcard with Troy and Ben out. If they can’t shake the injuries shortly their season is done.

11. oldhickory30 says: Nov 28, 2009 11:01 AM

Shut him down? Preferrred the other way you said it earlier…..lol

12. leatherneck says: Nov 28, 2009 11:01 AM

If the Steelers need a backup for Dixon, just use Mewelde Moore.

13. Ihatelawers says: Nov 28, 2009 11:02 AM

Hah, I caught it when the story originally said they were going to “sh%t him down.” Florio fixed it mighty quick though.

14. Kiss Bills Rings says: Nov 28, 2009 11:09 AM

Start Mendenhall….& bench their recievers!!!

15. Steelers4Life says: Nov 28, 2009 11:12 AM

Not saying Glazer is 100% wrong, but I’ll believe it when I hear of Pitt bringing in another QB to fill a roster spot (Palko on practice squad doesn’t count).

16. FBGeek77 says: Nov 28, 2009 11:14 AM

Wow. So, Florio, do you still consider the Steeler’s an “elite” team? Well, I guess we’ll see what happens to this hapless new QB on Sunday.

17. Igottz5onit says: Nov 28, 2009 11:19 AM

Good move. Hopefully Dixon can prove himself worthy of being the Steelers top back-up.

18. Deb says: Nov 28, 2009 11:26 AM

If Ben’s having headaches, he needs to sit out. I’d feel better if we’d signed Jeff Garcia, but let’s see what Dixon can do. No matter what happens with this game or this season, I don’t want to take any long-term chances with Roethlisberger’s health. I do, however, want PFT or someone to explain why college players are wearing more technologically advanced helmets than pro players. If there are helmets available that can minimize the risk of concussion injuries, then why hasn’t the NFL mandated that players use them? Isn’t this a story you should be reporting, Mike?

19. hahaguy10 says: Nov 28, 2009 11:29 AM

That’s the smart thing to do. Rather have him miss one week then take a shot shot to the head and end up like trent green. It”s Dixon’s time to shine.

20. Nick S. says: Nov 28, 2009 11:30 AM

Guess La Confora was right, Squeeler fans. The pressure is on the Ravens now. And the Steelers season is ov-ah!

21. bigbolt says: Nov 28, 2009 11:34 AM

Big Ben the drama queen strikes again. I guarantee you if the media wasn’t on this whole concussion-kick lately, beating the topic into the ground, asking Ben 5 million questions a day about concussions, then Ben would’ve had played this week and not thought anything of it.

22. Ravenmaniac says: Nov 28, 2009 11:34 AM

I am impressed ben….
    I am extremely disappointed…I wanted ben playing. If the Ravens win this game, the excuses will be flying from steeler fans everywhere…..of course if it was a Ravens player out and we lost, steeler fans would be saying, no excuses…next man up!!!
    Let the double standards begin!!

23. magsdad1 says: Nov 28, 2009 11:50 AM

Steelers – Polamalu – Roethlisberger = no chance.

24. Richm2256 says: Nov 28, 2009 11:51 AM

I’m not one of those people who put Roethlisberger up there with the all-time “elite” quarterbacks – despite winning two SB’s. That said, the NFL is better with him in it than out of it, so I will feel a little sympathy for Squealers fans this week.

25. rjgreen3 says: Nov 28, 2009 11:53 AM

I posted yesterday that Big Ben wouldn’t miss this game because it was too big, it looks like I am wrong. If Ben doesn’t play, kudos to him and the Steelers!

26. darrius_heyward-bey-butterfingers says: Nov 28, 2009 11:56 AM

So they’re not shutting him down his brain made the call. His injured brain is not allowing him to play, despite the will of the team to play him fresh off a concussion.

27. Poo Flinging Monkey says: Nov 28, 2009 11:59 AM

He has another rape headache.

28. Kiss Bills Rings says: Nov 28, 2009 12:01 PM

Ravens win & both the Steelers & Ravens miss the playoffs….I love it!!!

29. Laxer37 says: Nov 28, 2009 12:02 PM

Ravens fans must be as giddy as a school girl this morning at the prospect of finally having a chance to beat the Steelers. Unfortunately, still have to face the #1 defense in the league with your uni-browed quarterback.
    Seriously, last year’s devastating O for 3 followed by then having to watch your rival hoist their 6th Lombardi. No wonder that defense looks so old and slow, they must have aged five years alone just watching that.

30. litemater says: Nov 28, 2009 12:02 PM

“Doubts regarding Roethlisberger’s availability for Sunday first emerged on Friday, when Jason La Canfora of NFLN reported that Roethlisberger might miss the game.”
    Doubts were first reported “WHEN HE HAD A CONCUSSION”

31. Jungle Juice says: Nov 28, 2009 12:07 PM

I couldn’t believe they would even think about letting him play anyway. It’s only one regular season game, not the SB.

32. nedirect says: Nov 28, 2009 12:15 PM

cmon cant they just pump rapelisberger full of hgh and let him get out there and kick some ass..

33. Steelers4Life says: Nov 28, 2009 12:21 PM

I retract my earlier comment. According to Bouchette of the PG, Ben is out and Palko is being signed from the practice squad to the 53 man roster to back up Dixon. Time to see what the kids got!

34. SmackMyVickUp says: Nov 28, 2009 12:21 PM

Roethlisberger has been suffering from exercise-induced headaches.
    ——————
    There is so much you could have done with this regarding his size.

35. navdawg1 says: Nov 28, 2009 12:32 PM

Why change it. I think it fit.

36. Wick says: Nov 28, 2009 12:33 PM

The trip to Arrowhead was obviously very very VERY costly for the Steelers.
    Instead of being tied for the division lead, we instead lose our best offensive player in Roethlisberger, lose our only experienced back-up to Roethlisberger and of course lose the damned game to a chump team.
    Now we head to Baltimore without our best offensive and defensive players, respectively.
    And it’s more than a little counter-intuitive to have our defense so effective and masterfully coached by an NFL Hall of Famer (class of ’10) — and yet our special teams are setting NFL records for failure, flat out atrocious and presumably poorly coached to the extreme. Not easy to reconcile such a disparity, all things considered.
    Well, time to see what Dennis Dixon can do under the lights.
    Finally, I have no problem with the Steelers for sitting Ben to protect his long term health – but I have to think the Steelers and Ben handled his KC concussion like real amateurs. Why are the Steelers and Ben blabbing on and on about how he’s passing at least 3 dozen tests “with flying colors?” Just divulge information to the extent required by the League — don’t blab on and on revealing every little nuance.
    Belichick’s approach is a lot better – keep other teams guessing to the extent possible. Why give your opponents any advantage by unnecessarily providing information? This whole thing should have been kept on the downlow – within League rules – and if they sit Ben, fine – they sit him. Just seemed like it was amateur hour with the way it was handled all week.

37. Deb says: Nov 28, 2009 12:45 PM

@nedirect …
    Wow, in only one sentence you managed to prove yourself ignorant on a multitude of issues. I’m impressed!

38. Lombardi 6 says: Nov 28, 2009 12:56 PM

That being said..The Steelers will continue to shit down the Ravens Sunday night —as usual…

39. HappyBunny says: Nov 28, 2009 1:00 PM

“to shit him down.”
    This has me crying laughing! Expression of the year!

40. scrapdawg12 says: Nov 28, 2009 1:43 PM

AwfulBerger living up to his reputation. Seems like every year he’s hurt or raping women

41. spyboots says: Nov 28, 2009 1:43 PM

Deb: If there are helmets available that can minimize the risk of concussion injuries, then why hasn’t the NFL mandated that players use them?
    A helmet can help with the skull, but I don’t believe a helmet can keep the brain itself from banging around inside the skull when the head is hit.
    It’s better to sit out a game now than risk long-term damage that can cause more problems in the future. It’s a game and not worth risking someone’s future well-being.

42. Dunn says: Nov 28, 2009 1:45 PM

4 all the Ben and Steeler haters, please dont worry. Ben will be alright. He only has 2 championships to his young career and has a bright future ahead of him. You all need to worry about Flacco, Brees, Rivers and all those other so called great quarterbacks with nothing to show for it. Ben is in a great spot with only 1 qb exceeding his 2 rings. There is no time to feel bad for Steel town. No one has donned the Lombardi more than the Steelers and no other team has a brighter future.
    Thanks but no thanks for your concern

43. Steeler-lady says: Nov 28, 2009 1:48 PM

And then after that, why does Ben publicly profess his fear of getting hit on the noggin’? Doesn’t he realize the NFL views known injuries (and fear) like sharks who smell blood in the water? LMAO WHAT PLAYER LIKES BEING HIT IN THE HEAD?? LMAO I WOULD THINK THIS BIT OF INFO WAS A GIVEN…LOL GUESS NOT TO SLOW PEOPLE.
    LOL BELLICKS APPROACH REGARDING VIDEOTAPING ISNT HOW THE STEELERS WOULD OPERATE EITHER,SO I PREFER TO DO THINGS OUR WAY.. THANKS THO.
    IF U NEEDED THE MEDIA TO TELL YOU THAT BEN MAY NOT PLAY THIS WEEK THEN YOU ARE THE FOOL. GO BEN GO .. WE WILL MISS YOU.

44. pdxbolt4life says: Nov 28, 2009 1:49 PM

change it back asshole

45. i'm president charlie! says: Nov 28, 2009 2:08 PM

This is a smart move for the Steelers. I’m excited to watch Dixon play. Could be interesting considering the Ravens have no game film to go by except some meaningless preseason games.
    I wouldn’t call this an elimination game for either team though. Both of these teams have the potential to go undefeated for the rest of the season.

46. Chad says: Nov 28, 2009 2:16 PM

It gets sad in the ghetto of Baltimore, when Dennis Dixon runs and passes for a combined 300 yds with 2 TDs..EPICFAIL for the hamburglars..have your purple pom poms and purple and white towel rip offs ready…you’re gonna need it kooks…

47. trickbunny says: Nov 28, 2009 2:23 PM

Uh Oh! The Steelers are missing Polamalu *and* Roethlisberger? They’re gonna need some help this Sunday… But hey, the “12th man” is *always* on the field for the Steelers. He wears a black and white vertically striped shirt and a black cap and is usually a bit older than the other players on the team.
    I’m sure he’ll be doing he and his friends will be doing their best to help his team in their time of need- as usual.

48. Bob Nelson says: Nov 28, 2009 2:39 PM

If Glazer says he is out, you know Roethlisberger will start.
    Glazer is incorrect 9 of 10 times.

49. Igottz5onit says: Nov 28, 2009 2:43 PM

@trickbunny
    Aww it’s sad to see someone come off as a pathetic loser like you.

50. Nambla Limbaugh says: Nov 28, 2009 3:13 PM

Well who didn’t see this coming from the NFL’s premiere Drama Queen? Talk about cowardly. Season’s on the line for both teams in a must-win game and Big “broken toes” Jen will be standing on the sidelines like a girl with a headache. Appropriate. He doesn’t want to get f*cked. Will he hold a little icepack to his brow for dramatic effect for the sideline cams? Maybe he’ll mix in a few fainting spells! “Oh dear, I feel tha vapors a’ comin’ on..quick somebody catch me!!” LOL!
    Actually, he’s a smart rapist. He knows what a bloodthirsty beatdown he would have caught in M&T during primetime. “Go ahead, guy who’s completed ONE (1) NFL pass. Yew can dew it, waterboy!! I’ll be over here with my bottle of Tylenol!

51. AugustusMcCrae says: Nov 28, 2009 3:13 PM

I’m sure Dixon will play like Joe Montana. I’d rather play against Ben, in case if we get off our game and actually win.
    Now I’m gonna go take a shut.

52. Wick says: Nov 28, 2009 3:18 PM

@scrapdawg12 who said:
    That’s not a true statement. That thing he is accused of raping was no woman. What it is – I have no earthly idea – but it doesn’t look anything like a woman.

53. Deb says: Nov 28, 2009 3:28 PM

@trickbunny …
    Yeah, he was real helpful the last two weeks. And it was nice of him to help out the Packers against the Cowboys. And really sweet of him to give the Browns that extra timeout.
    You should get that stutter-step in your brain checked. You know, the one that just keeps hitting the same groove despite all evidence to the contrary. Bet you were one of those kids that every time you tripped over your own big bunny feet on the playground, you pointed at the best athlete on the field and screamed “He did it!! Whaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!”

54. Deb says: Nov 28, 2009 3:33 PM

@spyboots ….
    No no no!! Wasn’t suggesting Ben should wear one of those helmets and play Sunday if he’s feeling ill-effects from a concussion! I’m wondering why he wasn’t wearing one of those helmets LAST Sunday when it might have prevented him from getting a concussion in the first place.
    In the statement they released this week, the NFL “urged” players to use better equipment. Since when do they “urge” players to use different equipment? Usually they mandate the equipment players use. If there is better, safer equipment available, why isn’t the NFL providing it to the players and mandating its use? Why are some college players using concussion-resistant helmets, but pro players aren’t? That’s what I’d like to know, and I’m still waiting for some coverage on the issue.

55. CKL says: Nov 28, 2009 4:15 PM

# Bob Nelson says: November 28, 2009 2:39 PM
    If Glazer says he is out, you know Roethlisberger will start.
    Glazer is incorrect 9 of 10 times.
    __________________________________
    Wait, what???
    Is this opposite day?
    Glazer is the one guy who I DO believe when he reports something as fact. In fact I can’t remember the last time Glazer reported something would definitely happen or did happen and it didn’t.
    The day I believe Clayton and his ESPN ilk hasn’t occurred yet. Mostly because THEY are the ones wrong 9/10 times.

56. trickbunny says: Nov 28, 2009 4:22 PM

# Deb says: November 28, 2009 3:28 PM
    @trickbunny …
    —————————————————
    ha ha… your anger issues make me laugh. that was a pretty long, detailed, (and boring) tirade.
    btw, did I mention that the refs love to help the steelers? :) :) :)

57. Deb says: Nov 28, 2009 6:20 PM

@trickbunny …
    Now how could I have anger issues with someone named trickbunny? LOL Since you always show up at Steelers threads looking for attention, just thought I’d throw some your way. Had no doubt you’d wade through the long, boring tirade. Hope our refs let us feel the love tomorrow. Since you seem to know them so well, put in a good word, honey, will you? ;-)